geoffm

TAP - Any Good?

Wed Dec 29, 2004 12:14 am

Anybody here with experience of TAP (Air Portugal) trans-Atlantic? I could only find two trip reports and one of those was short-haul.

Thanks

Geoff M.

boeingbus

RE: TAP - Any Good?

Wed Dec 29, 2004 1:33 am

No complaints... Traveled on several occasion... twice on the A310 and once on the A343, from NYC to LIS... clean, comfortable, food was good... the free wine was great...

but one negative - no coach/economy class personal IFE... so if you don't mind it... you will enjoy your flight...

and on your return to LIS... get ready for the old time folks clapping and cheering when arriving.... lol....
Airbus or Boeing - it's all good to me!

FCKC

Wed Dec 29, 2004 1:47 am

Flew twice LIS-GIG-LIS with A340-300, never had to complain.
As BoeingBus said , clean , comfortable , friendly , good food and quite good Portugese wine , BUT................................the French wine (Bordeaux) is muito melhor !!!!!!!!!! AH!!! AH!!!!!!!
You will not be disappointed at the Lisboa airport.Still at a human scale.Important.
Go TAP !!!!!!!!!

geoffm

Wed Dec 29, 2004 1:57 am

Thanks... I thought I read that their A340s had personal IFE, 6 channels or something, plus airshow?

Geoff M.

AEROFAN

Wed Dec 29, 2004 2:55 am

Flew TAP Last year Jan :EWR-LIS in Business.
Equip - A310

Food - Sub par. It was brought to me in celophane.
Can't comment on the wine choices as I do not drink wine.
IFE- Non existant
No flat bed. Seats did not recline much and they were hard
On landing at LIS - There were no immigration officers. But on leaving the country there was one who asked me why my passport wasn't stamped

I would say business is comparable to VS or BA's premium economy without the IFE.

Bruspotter

Wed Dec 29, 2004 6:32 am

I flew with them years ago from LHR-OPO-LIS-GIG. the stretch From Lisbon to Rio was on a Tristar. They were OK then and I'm sure they are fine now.
I never think of the future - it comes soon enough.

airxliban

Fri Dec 31, 2004 4:01 pm

how the hell do they get off not offering IFE in business class?
PARIS, FRANCE...THE BEIRUT OF EUROPE.

TAP1972

Sat Jan 08, 2005 11:14 pm

Hello

I've flown on TAP several times, short haul and long haul. My last long haul flight was a month ago: LIS-GRU-LIS, on A340-300

I flew on economy, as it has been said before clean, comfortable, the food is good, wine's better (better than the french  Smile), crew it depends.... but on my last flight they were very nice.

In terms of entertainment on economy there are no PTV's, you have the general screens, they have 12 channels of music. On my flight they showed the news, 2 movies, some entertainment series and small movie about Brasil.

In Business Class (Navigator TOp Executive) they have brand new seats, that can extend and become a bed, you'll have PTV with a good selection of movies. Also the service here is very good, as you'll find a great selection of wines and very good food.

These Business class seats are available on A340 fleet. Not only A310 these seats yet and for these TAP is providing a portable DVD player with a good choice of movies.

In addition, make not that TAP uses A340 to GIG, GRU, EWR, Luanda, JNB and Maputo and to Caracas. A310's are making the routes to the Northeast of Brazil (Recife, Salvador, Natal, Fortaleza).

Check the site www.tap.pt, you'll get more information.

Hope this helps