Topic Author

Cheap But Unusual Routings?

Fri Jan 28, 2005 6:38 am

What is the cheapest but most unusual one-way routing have you seen? For me, it is quite possibly this:

Ashgabad to Baku.

Ashgabad-Tashkent on a Turkmenistan 717.
Tashkent-Moscow DME on an Uzbekistan 313.
Moscow DME-Baku on a Siberian TU5.

The one-way price, including tax, is £62.30. Good, eh?  Wink/being sarcastic
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

RE: Cheap But Unusual Routings?

Fri Jan 28, 2005 3:13 pm

I was fooling around on the site the other night, looking to stop in a few airports for spotting purposes. The flight was from FLL-CAK, with a return into PBI.

You can actually purchase this routing - FLL-DAY-CVG-CAK for the flight up with this back....CAK-CVG-CMH with a connection to a direct flight from CMH-PBI. The stop is in CVG, so you would fly from CVG to make a connection in CMH just to come back to CVG for a second time in one day!

That would confuse the baggage handlers, I bet - so I booked with NWA instead so I could fly the SAAB 340 from DTW-CAK.

Fri Jan 28, 2005 6:15 pm

MEM-DFW on DL. I can't remember the actual figures but it was 1/3 of the price to do 2.5 times the distance, on two planes, with two meals, instead of one plane with a snack. We went via ATL. My first and only trip on a 727.

Geoff M.

Mon Jan 31, 2005 12:46 pm

Both of my interesting routings were on frequent flier tickets, so I would expect a more round-about way than normal. I went to BIS last July and ended up flying ATL-IAH on Continental, then IAH-MSP-BIS on Northwest. The return was BIS-MSP-EWR on Northwest and EWR-ATL on Continental. Both routings were about 900 miles out of the way. Over this last new year, I went to Jackson Hole, Wyoming to go skiing. The outbound trip was not too unusual. I flew ATL-DFW-SLC-JAC on Delta. The return trip was, however, a bit strange. I left JAC around six o'clock in the evening, flew to SLC, then on to LAS, then did a redeye flight from LAS, which was a thoroughly miserable experience because the passengers nearby were extremely loud, all the people in the row in front of me had their seats fully reclined (I know they paid for the right to recline, but I find it to be rude to recline all the way because it restricts the person behind's space so much, thus I never recline a lot.), and the plane was extremely hot. I don't want to sound like I'm complaining though.  Smile Delta was fine and the flights as a whole were good.