EMB195ER
Topic Author

Best Coach Class To Europe From GRU

Mon Jan 31, 2005 1:50 am

Hi Guys,

Soon I will be flying to AMS from GRU and would like to know, in your opinion, which airline has the best product in Y class, considering IFE, PTV, and aircraft.

Basically, my options are:

TAM (connecting with some AF flight in CDG)
VARIG
KLM
TAP
Iberia
Air France
Alitalia
British Airways
Lufthansa
Swiss

Hugs,

EMB195ER

ozvirginuk

RE: Best Coach Class To Europe From GRU

Mon Jan 31, 2005 4:14 am

EMB195ER,

I did LHR-GIG (Via GRU) a couple of times last year. Now from what I am lead to believe, TAM offer the best Y product, and apparently have the best inflight service as well. Avoid IB KL and LH, terrible seat pitch and service. When I did the trip I actually travelled with UA via IAD, it takes alot longer, but if you can get those Y+ seats, it makes for a much more comfy ride.

I am a big UA fan, and although it takes about 18 hours (i know, yuk!) its a nice ride.

Hope you have a great trip, keep me posted.... BTW I love Brazil........ want to come back this yr..

PanAmerican

Mon Jan 31, 2005 5:26 am

Right, I agree with OzVirginUk: Don't forget there are good fares from Brazil to Europe with most US airlines. I'd go for American, as they probably still have "More Room Throughout Coach", but I'm not sure. I guess you can check by comparing seatmaps at www.seatguru.com. But they do have PTVs in their 777s.
Delta, Continental and United also come to mind. At least on their 777s they all have PTVs. Air Canada might also offer good fares and you probably don't need a transit visa for Canada. For the United States you do need one however, but that should not be hard to get.

You could fly for example:
GRU-MIA-LHR-AMS on AA/BA
GRU-IAD-AMS on UA
GRU-ATL-AMS on DL
GRU-EWR-AMS on CO
GRU-YYZ-LHR-AMS on AC/BD

A flight from Europe to Brazil on e.g. CO or DL is about 730 Euros return, don't know how much it would be the other way round. That is not much more than a direct flight on a European airline.
Considering a nonstop flight takes about 12 hours, connecting in the US and taking a walk is a good idea I think. A huge plus is that you get a LOT more miles, about 21,000 miles compared to a direct flight to Europe where you'd only get about 13,000 miles. If you're a member of Varig Smiles you should consider UA, that trip alone could get you a free flight.

If you do want to travel direct, I can only tell you that LH has indeed pretty cramped seating, however, they are punctual and efficient. LX seating and service is ok. As for KLM, I like them a lot and think their service is decent, in my opinion it's one of the better airlines in Europe.
Air France is not my favorite, the service is rude and CDG is a mess.
With the others I haven't flown transatlantic yet.

Have a good trip to AMS, hopefully on a US airline  Big thumbs up
Boa viagem!

Smile/happy/getting dizzy PA

[Edited 2005-01-30 21:31:52]
Pan Am - The World's Most Experienced Airline.

EMB195ER
Topic Author

Mon Jan 31, 2005 6:34 am

Hey guys!

Well last year when I traveled to Europe I also checked some fares via US and prices were really competitive, but the idea of passing in the US immigration is really annoying. Although I have a 10 years visa, those guys are not very politely and we are constantly seeing people sent back to Brazil without any reasonable explanation.

On the other hand, getting more Smiles miles is a very interesting idea  Smile/happy/getting dizzy. I will consider the idea of flying Air Canada. Need to check their fares, perhaps they are competitive.

Indeed, my final destination will be London, where I am going to live for 1 year, but I want first to visit some friends in Amsterdan and Antwerp.

OzVirginUk, I will keep you informed about my choices!  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

Hugs,
EMB195ER