myk

New Passenger Rights In The EU

Wed Feb 09, 2005 10:19 am

From feb. 17th, passengers have new and "improved" rights in the European Union!

http://europa.eu.int/comm/transport/air/rights/doc/2005_01_19_apr_poster_en.pdf

Your Opinion ?

BA380

RE: New Passenger Rights In The EU

Wed Feb 09, 2005 11:51 pm

i think it is great for the consumer that actually gets messed about, but it may be expensive for airlines, so I guess they will price that into tickets. Still, should be not too much extra cost for airlines and i think it is good that if you get mega messed about, you have to get looked after.
cabin crew: doors to automatic and cross-check...

ozglobal

Thu Feb 10, 2005 2:03 am

Decent airlines do a lot of this already as a matter of company policy. This 'bill of rights' ensures they don't 'weasle' out of thier responsibilities. Note that the passsenger must meet their responsibilities for on-time check, etc. This helps the airlines by giving a greater shared incentive for ontime departure.
When all's said and done, there'll be more said than done.

Speedbird2155

Thu Feb 10, 2005 5:01 am

OzGlobal

you are right in that many 'decent' airlines already offer many of these as a matter of policy, however, the amounts have varied according to the airline and I think that the EU shouldn't be dictating to airlines what should be offered.

Another issue is that these 'rights' seem to come into play even when the circumstances are outside of the airline control, ie weather, air traffic restrictions etc.