JetboyTWA
Topic Author

Delta, Air France, Or Alitalia Trans-Atlantic?

Wed Mar 16, 2005 1:37 am

Hey there:

A friend and I will be non-reving this weekend, beginning our week-long trip in Europe.

We have the opportunity to fly either Delta, Air France, or Alitalia.

More than likely, we will be departing through JFK, though IAD and MIA are viable options at this time as well.

If anyone has experience with the inflight trans-atlantic products of these carriers, I'd love to hear the pros and cons.... This goes for Business Class, as well as Economy, as we can be accomodated in either cabin.

Delta's aircraft are 767-300s on the routes; Air France has a mix of A330s, 747s, and 777s on the routes; and Alitalia has strictly 777s.

Thanks a bunch for your help!

Ryan

B742

RE: Delta, Air France, Or Alitalia Trans-Atlantic?

Wed Mar 16, 2005 2:16 am

I would choose Air France and fly on their new 777-300ER's! (JFK)

My second option would be Alitalia, then Delta!

Rob!

foxecho

Wed Mar 16, 2005 2:18 am

You're killin me Ryan  crazy 

Andrew
JFK/MEM/MCI
..uh, we'll need that to live......

EddieDude

Wed Mar 16, 2005 2:18 am

I think AF would be the best choice. And if you could get an A330 AF, that would be awesome.
Next flights: MEX-LAX AM 738, LAX-PVG DL 77L, SHA-PEK CA 789, PEK-PVG CA A332, PVG-ORD MU 77W, ORD-MEX AM 738

LX23

Wed Mar 16, 2005 2:22 am

AF's A330s and B777s are probably your best bet. Plus AF service can be amazing, especially if you TRY to be nice  Wink

Alitalia744

Wed Mar 16, 2005 2:24 am

Quoting LX23 (Reply 4):
Plus AF service can be amazing, especially if you TRY to be nice

Actually so can Alitalia's!

I'd fly over on AZ's 777 and back on AF's 773 Smile
Some see lines, others see between the lines.

JGPH1A

Wed Mar 16, 2005 2:39 am

AF is great, and has better IFE and food than AZ. Plus you don't have to deal with the truly appalling MXP.
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

jasepl

Wed Mar 16, 2005 2:57 am

With AF, it would depend on the route and aircraft, because the new Business cabin isn't installed across the fleet yet. But here's my take on it:

Economy
1. AF
2. DL
3. AZ

Business
1. AF & DL
3. AZ

I would have put AF at 1 in business, but then I flew DL recently and I was honestly very impressed. Even on their 763s, the seats were good, although not fully-flat. Service and food were exceptional. A complete contrast from their domestic "service" as I remember it!

KLMA330

Wed Mar 16, 2005 3:00 am

Fly AZ... the way they're going, you may not get another chance..  Wink

flpuck6

Wed Mar 16, 2005 3:09 am

Should you choose AF, I suggest you introduce yourself to the Chief Purser as airline staff flying "GP" (gratis passenger) ... after that, anything is possible.  Wink Oh, and board last.
Bonjour Chef!

jasepl

Wed Mar 16, 2005 3:09 am

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 6):
Plus you don't have to deal with the truly appalling MXP.

I've never been through Malpensa - Is it really that bad?

LIN, on the other hand, is one of my favourite airports. The only one where I've been from the plane to the taxi in 10 minutes!

SR 103

Wed Mar 16, 2005 8:31 am

Getting out of Riddle for a week huh? LOL...Can't blame you! My choice from experience would be:

1. AF
2. AZ
3. DL (if no other Skyteam airline is available  Wink)

Enjoy Europe, it will be a million times better than DAB!

SR 103

AMSSpotter

Wed Mar 16, 2005 10:27 am

I usually fly UA across the pond and I'm always quite satisfied with their product. I flew DL once AMS-ATL-SFO SEA-JFK-AMS and wasn't really impressed. Service, IFE, food, interior: (way) below UA if you ask me. I can't advise you on AZ or AF but I wouldn't go for DL (although they have a great safety record).
A very good friend of mine has been flying AZ, AF and DL pretty often and she would go for AF.

Floris

Wed Mar 16, 2005 10:29 am

Economy

1. AF
2. DL
3. AZ

Business

1. DL
2. AF
3. AZ

UA business can not compete with DL business elite. That said, DL economy sucks. Just my opinion.

ozglobal

Wed Mar 16, 2005 10:38 am

Y: AF, DL, AZ

C: AF, DL, AZ

AF Y class on new aircraft is really good and their Y class service is better than most (free champagne, etc), but make an effort to 'be nice' as it cuts a lot of ice and don't raise your voice if F/A's don't understand the first time, just speak more clearly.

Their new C class looks pretty good, but like LH is a vey steep lie flat seat.

As for DL and AZ in C, I can only go on anecdotes, all of which are really bad, except for DL's legroom.

Ozglobal
When all's said and done, there'll be more said than done.

gokmengs

Wed Mar 16, 2005 10:50 am

I take DL to various destinations in Europe and I flew both AZ and AF and here is my rankings

Business
1)DL(Delta's businesselite product is very impressive)
2)AF(Took AF from JFK-CDG Business on DL codeshare, DL is way better)
3)AZ(JFK-FCO business not impressed at all just comfy seats and alright service)

Economy
1)AF(Very Impressive service and IFE)
2)DL(They have to do something about their service and IFE way too outdated)
3)AZ(Not that bad especially in T7's but service is mediocre plus great chance of something happening to your luggage. They'll find it but they have the greatest chance of losing it at the first place)

Hope this will help your decision
Gercekleri Tarih Yazar Tarihide Galatasaray

AMSSpotter

Wed Mar 16, 2005 10:51 am

Quoting Floris (Reply 13):
UA business can not compete with DL business elite. That said, DL economy sucks

I was comparing UA's and DL's cattle classes, so we fully agree on DL sucking in that part of the cabin.  Wink

airgeek12

Wed Mar 16, 2005 11:23 am

Well, we all know service is ten times better on british/foreign airlines. So let's go ahead and cross off DL. That leves us with AZ and AF. If I were you I'd try to do a mix of the both. They're both great airlines! If you had to only choose one though I'd go with AZ, for fear of getting stuck on a IFE-less AF 747!

OB1783P

Sun Mar 20, 2005 9:17 pm

you don't have to deal with the truly appalling MXP

I don't understand. MXP is not go-go exciting, but it isn't appalling. It feels solid, like an old Museum of Natural History. It's quiet and fairly clean. Give me MXP over IAD!

Quoting Airgeek12 (Reply 17):
service is ten times better on british/foreign airlines

...than on Delta. But in my book, UA is at least as good as AF or AZ. But since Ryan doesn't have the choice to fly UA, you're right, Airgeek. My main "beef" with Alitalia transatlantic in Economy is the way the cabin crew disappears for several hours after dinner. On the night segment, it's fine. On the way back, the cabin can get restless in the enforced artificial darkness.

As for me, next time I go visit my father in Paris, I'll try AI from EWR.
I've flown thousands of miles and I can tell you it's a lot safer than crossing the street!

Alitalia744

Mon Mar 21, 2005 3:01 am

Quoting OB1783P (Reply 18):
My main "beef" with Alitalia transatlantic in Economy is the way the cabin crew disappears for several hours after dinner. On the night segment, it's fine. On the way back, the cabin can get restless in the enforced artificial darkness.

It's interesting as I actually enjoy the fact that they "disappear." Gives you time to relax. Everytime I've flown them transatlantic, they've always come around with bottles of water throughout the flight, several times during movies alone (on the 763 going to MXP from EWR, we had 5 drink services (3 of them being water only...). The 777 return was great also.

Many people don't understand the Alitalia or even Iberia service models. The FA's serve main meals, but during the "off" or "disappearing act time" set up a mini-bar in the rear galley and allow you to take what you wish. On our flight back to EWR from FCO (777), they had water, soda, coffee, juice for drinks in the mini-bar in addition to pretzels, biscotti, and other little snacks.

To me, I see this as ideal service, allowing me to get what I want, when I want as opposed to ringing the service call button. FAs in my opinion are there to ensure safety and provide service, they are not however waitresses or slaves in the sky.

Additionally, every once in a while, you can/will have a great Alitalia experience. We made nice with the FA and they brought us wine and baci chocolates from Magnifica class. Also got to take a tour of the aircraft, visiting the cock-pit and crew bunk (upstairs on the 777) with the flight attendants.
Some see lines, others see between the lines.

OB1783P

Mon Mar 21, 2005 10:14 pm

Quoting Alitalia744 (Reply 19):
Additionally, every once in a while, you can/will have a great Alitalia experience.

I did have a good experience, and I did take advantage of the "mini-bar" in the back. As I said, the main, actually the ONLY little problem was the last hour or so before the second meal, when all passengers were suddenly feeling a collective "So, what's next? Where's everybody?" anxiety.

Perhaps timing the second meal a bit earlier (Westwards only) would have alleviated that.

Everything else was fine, or better than that. (I didn't have that "bare minimum" feeling I get on DL.) The AZ IFE was great, and the food decent. We were on time. What more can one ask for?
I've flown thousands of miles and I can tell you it's a lot safer than crossing the street!

Thrust

Wed Mar 23, 2005 12:31 am

I would fly DL, first off because of my loyalty to US airlines, and second because I know nothing about Alitalia's service, and third because I despise AF  yuck 
Fly one thing; Fly it well

WA727

Wed Mar 23, 2005 7:34 am

DL coach was fine for me when I flew ATL-FCO and FCO-JFK back in 2001 aboard 763s. My only gripe was the rude F/A who snapped at me when I ordered two wines with dinner, saying she was only allowed to serve one at a time. Being right after September 11th, I didn't mind that much. Later, when the duty free cart came by, I bought a big bottle of booze since I'd brought Lira (R.I.P.) with me. Since the dollar was still strong, I got it cheap. I ordered only club soda after that if you know what I mean  drunk 

On the way home, I ordered two champagnes during lunch and asked the F/A what the policy was on drinks. She said it was an individual decision as she handed me the two splits.

Haven't experience AF or AZ transatlantic, but did enjoy coach 2-2 seating on AZ's M80 CAG-FCO service.
Don't just stand there, go get some glue!

wgw2707

Sun Mar 27, 2005 6:06 am

Definitely fly Air France... Delta is miserable on the trans-atlantic services. I haven't flown on Alitalia so can't comment on them, but I do feel reasonably confident that Air France is the best choice of the three. You get a certain level of elegance and comfort on AF that no one else seems to match...

-WGW2707

AZ

Mon Apr 11, 2005 4:09 am

AF is great, and has better IFE and food than AZ. Plus you don't have to deal with the truly appalling MXP.

Better IFE on AF? Better food? MXP is appalling? That's really funny. So how you would describe CDG????

C'mon !!!!!!!!!!

Daniele

VS747SPUR

Sat Apr 16, 2005 4:34 am

Id go Delta Airlines, flew the 767-300 transatlantic in Feb, service was the best I have ever had (especially as this was a night fight, i normally get worse service on a night flight- anyone else had that?) and I felt the aircraft was roomy and pretty well maintained.

However AF 777-300 sound tempting !

VS747SPUR
Fly DL

COAMiG29

Sat Apr 16, 2005 5:58 am

ill take CO but if i had to choose between these id deffineantely say Delta, they need my money more than all the others
If Continental had a hub at DFW with nonstop flights I would always fly them, unfortunantely good things take time.

aerorobnz

Sat Apr 16, 2005 8:52 am

Quoting Jasepl (Reply 10):
I've never been through Malpensa - Is it really that bad?

LIN, on the other hand, is one of my favourite airports. The only one where I've been from the plane to the taxi in 10 minutes!

MXP is an awesome transit airport. I reached intl-dom flights with a 40 minutes turnaround easily with time to spare. Personally I would go Alitalia. They get bad press, but they aren't a bad airline. An airline is only as bad as it's passengers after all... Wink
Besides if you are NonReving I would fly AF on the way back, just because you can without it costing more.

Quoting AZ (Reply 23):
Better IFE on AF? Better food? MXP is appalling? That's really funny. So how you would describe CDG????

agreed. CDG is far more of a mess to transit than MXP.
Flown to 120 Airports in 44 Countries on 73 Operators. Visited 55 Countries and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

Doona

Sat Apr 16, 2005 6:24 pm

Delta. No question.

Cheers
Mats
Sure, we're concerned for our lives. Just not as concerned as saving 9 bucks on a roundtrip to Ft. Myers.

LPLAspotter

Tue Apr 19, 2005 8:39 pm

Quoting Thrust (Reply 20):
and third because I despise AF

With that attitude I'm sure they dispise you.

LPLAspotter
Nuke the Gay Wales for Christ

sw733

Fri Apr 22, 2005 4:01 am

I've flown Air France (CDG - ORD) on an A340, and Delta (JFK - MAD, CDG - CVG) on 767-300's. Now, I haven't experienced the 777 on either airline, but based on my personal experiences, Air France is not only the best of the two, but along with British Airways, is the best airline I have ever flown. I'd take Air France over Delta any day.

wassch71

Sat Apr 23, 2005 12:27 pm

Air France is really great. However, I heard that the JFK-NCE flight with Delta is very nice, not so crowded and that one can get discounts on it. The Côte d'Azur can surely be a pleasant start for a European tour...
Regards
Wassch71
MEA...Like No Other

qantas777

Sun Apr 24, 2005 11:51 pm

Air Chance would be the best choice.