OzarkD9S
Topic Author

How Would You Fix US?

Sat Mar 19, 2005 1:57 am

Given the recent good news regarding fresh bankruptcy exit financing for US, this is probably the last chance to reinvent US into a viable carrier. So, for all the armchair CEO's out there...what ideas do you have?
Next up: STL-CVG-MKE-MSP-STL.

7e72004

RE: How Would You Fix US?

Sat Mar 19, 2005 2:04 am

Uh...call Frank Lorenzo and sell off pieces at a time  Big grin
The next generation of aircraft is just around the corner!

avek00

Sat Mar 19, 2005 2:04 am

It's not possible, IMHO, to reinvent US into a viable standalone operation - the time for doing that was the 1990s, or perhaps bankruptcy #1. The best that US can hope for now is to tread water by smoking out its senior employees with buyout offers and hoping that fuel prices decline - this will give the airline a few years to wait until industry conditions become acceptable for mergers/acquisitions.
Live life to the fullest.

Amy

Sat Mar 19, 2005 8:31 am

I know this isn't constructive, but i'd just pull the plug. No one with any sense will fly or work for US Airways now.
A340-300 - slow, but awesome!

bravo7e7

Sat Mar 19, 2005 11:10 am

Quoting Amy (Reply 3):
I know this isn't constructive, but i'd just pull the plug. No one with any sense will fly or work for US Airways now.

With all do respect, you must not be very knowledgable about aviation here in America. No one would work for them? Are you kidding me? There were so many people who were laid off from all ot the airlines, that there are people who would do ANYTHING to work for US. You can't just pull the plug. What good would that do, besides laying of tens of thousands of employees. Right now the attitude seems to be pretty good with US, and they seem to have good chances. I don't know what makes you think that no one would book a ticket with US? Think again.

Amy

Sat Mar 19, 2005 1:51 pm

I'm sure there are, but current US Airways employees seem to hate the company. I wouldn't fly on a company with so many obviously disgruntled employees. I know they need a boost but in my opinion, in which I am perfectly entitled, the combination of bad press and bad feeling will ensure US Airways goes under once again. I'm sorry to say I won't be sorry to see them go.

bravo7e7

Sat Mar 19, 2005 2:01 pm

Quoting Amy (Reply 5):
I'm sure there are, but current US Airways employees seem to hate the company. I wouldn't fly on a company with so many obviously disgruntled employees. I know they need a boost but in my opinion, in which I am perfectly entitled, the combination of bad press and bad feeling will ensure US Airways goes under once again. I'm sorry to say I won't be sorry to see them go.

What is your problem? Have you ever really flown US? It is sad that you have no problem with tens of thousands of people losing their jobs.

Amy

Sat Mar 19, 2005 3:08 pm

People lose jobs from all industries all over the world every day. This week my mother is fighting for her job as a teacher. It's sad but in some situations it has to happen.

When normal companies post hugs losses, suffer strikes and the results from them as US have, they go under. When British Layland was made it was the fourth Largest car company in the world. Now it doesn't even exist, with it's components long been sold off or shut down.

For a reason that I understand but will never quite believe possible, US (and United for that matter) seem to think themselves impervious to the rules of normal business simply because they are airlines. Companies have to be pro-active, innovative, clever, imaginative, and at the end of the day be good at what they are meant to do. US Airways are not good at what they are meant to do anymore.

I have never been on US Airways, I will admit that now. No Historian has ever met Julius Ceasar, but I wouldn't challenge a History professor on his knowlege of Roman Civilisation simply because he wasn't there. The decline of US Airways is there for all to see. While it's not nice, it has to happen to some companies. My opinion, based on what I have read and been told from numerous sources is that US are not an airline to be relied upon for on-time travel with excellent service. I am told this by my friends in the US who actively avoid US wherever possible. This is my opinion to which I am perfectly entitled.

Hence: I would rather shut it down now were I in charge than cause every-one else as much grief as possible while losing millions every quarter.

[Edited 2005-03-19 07:09:54]

[Edited 2005-03-19 07:11:54]

bravo7e7

Sun Mar 20, 2005 12:15 am

Quoting Amy (Reply 7):
For a reason that I understand but will never quite believe possible, US (and United for that matter) seem to think themselves impervious to the rules of normal business simply because they are airlines. Companies have to be pro-active, innovative, clever, imaginative, and at the end of the day be good at what they are meant to do. US Airways are not good at what they are meant to do anymore.

I have never been on US Airways, I will admit that now. No Historian has ever met Julius Ceasar, but I wouldn't challenge a History professor on his knowlege of Roman Civilisation simply because he wasn't there. The decline of US Airways is there for all to see. While it's not nice, it has to happen to some companies. My opinion, based on what I have read and been told from numerous sources is that US are not an airline to be relied upon for on-time travel with excellent service. I am told this by my friends in the US who actively avoid US wherever possible. This is my opinion to which I am perfectly entitled.

It is sad that you would say such a thing about an airline you have never been on. I don't know in which way US and UA think they are better. ALL of the legacies in the U.S. are in crappy positions right now and losing money. It is just a matter of time befpre the other majors enter bankruptcy. In which way is AA being innovative, clever imaginitive, etc.? How about DL? CO? NW? The fact is that after 9/11 UA had a smaller reserve of money then the others, which is why they went first.

RCS763AV

Sun Mar 20, 2005 12:18 am

This I would do:

A319s, A320s, A330s: to NW

EMB-145: to American Eagle

CRJ-200/700, EMB-170: to Delta Connection and United Express

B737s, 767s: to the desert, or as freighters to other airlines to eliminate capacity.

The rest of the fleet: To other airlines in other countries

BritPilot777

Sun Mar 20, 2005 12:22 am

Quoting RCS763AV (Reply 9):
This I would do:

A319s, A320s, A330s: to NW

EMB-145: to American Eagle

CRJ-200/700, EMB-170: to Delta Connection and United Express

B737s, 767s: to the desert, or as freighters to other airlines to eliminate capacity.

The rest of the fleet: To other airlines in other countries

Dude, you just closed the friggin airline down, How the hell is that gonna help US airways get back to the financial safety and security they had and with referecene to the original question, how's it gonna be a viable airline with no aicraft!? If you dont have any planes you dont have an airline, you dont have an airline, you sack a lot of people.

Moheet
Forever Flight

jetdeltamsy

Sun Mar 27, 2005 1:19 am

Amy is absolutely correct. USAir's stats are published every month..on time, lost bags, etc... The facts are there for everyone to see. You don't have to fly them to know how their operation is performing.

The disasterous performance over the Christmas period only served to put their service problems even more into the limelight.

Nobody wishes bad things for the individual employees. I have several good friends who work there. But USAir is not a viable operation. Jetblue, Airtran, Southwest and Delta will continue to place enormous pressure on the company.

It is time to pull the plug on USAir. What little cash they have left needs to be distributed to creditors. And the billions of dollars in revenue that would go to Delta and other carriers just might make them profitable again.
Tired of airline bankruptcies....EA/PA/TW and finally DL.

wgw2707

Sun Mar 27, 2005 6:13 am

I think US Airways current turnaround plans are viable. I wouldn't make any changes to their current operation. Assuming they are able to stabilize financially-and I think with their revised cost structure they'll be very competitive in this respect-in the long run I would reccommend some marketing changes and other restructurings. In the short run, however, these changes would be too expensive.

It's worth noting that there are airlines in the US in worse shape than US Airways. Take a look at ATA...now there is an airline that you wouldn't want to work for. They're loosing most of their operation, and basically downsizing into nothing more than a glorified charter carrier (not that they were ever much more than that to begin with). Another basketcase airline still on the other side of a chapter 11 filing is Independence Air, which along with General Motors, AT&T, the Union Pacific and Hewlett Packard, has one of America's dumbest management teams.

I can't understand the irrational desire among so many airliners.net members to see US Airways go out of business...it's somewhat nauseating.

-WGW2707

PPVRA

Sun Mar 27, 2005 7:38 am

Quoting WGW2707 (Reply 12):

I can't understand the irrational desire among so many airliners.net members to see US Airways go out of business...it's somewhat nauseating.

-WGW2707

Exactly how I feel...

Cheers,

PPVRA
"If goods do not cross borders, soldiers will" - Frederic Bastiat

727LOVER

Sun Mar 27, 2005 12:50 pm

Quoting Jetdeltamsy (Reply 11):
It is time to pull the plug on USAir. What little cash they have left needs to be distributed to creditors. And the billions of dollars in revenue that would go to Delta and other carriers just might make them profitable again.

Now this is freakin' hilarious!!! The DELTA employee says PULL THE PLUG ON USAIR, put all of THOSE people out of work, so that it will benefit my sorry carrier and save MY job.  crazy 
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

SonOfACaptain

Sun Mar 27, 2005 2:29 pm

What can you fix. They have already fixed most of the things that can be fixed. The sad thing is that oil just cancels out everything. If oil was at a resonable level, US would be making butt loads of money.

-SOAC
Non Illegitimi Carborundum

USairways16BWI

Sun Mar 27, 2005 3:31 pm

kind of like what SOAC said.... US has done the right things to get better, but its just those high costs that make things difficult. i think that when US does get out of its mess, it will be a much stronger carrier because they already know what its like to be at the bottom of the bottom, and they will know how to get themselves out of problems, from experience. ill be sure and pay close attention to how US is doing when i fly them tomorrow.....  airplane 

DarthRandall

Sat Apr 02, 2005 3:26 pm

Personally, I do think that they need to trim down, close some routes, and find their own niche in the South East where they will not be in constant direct competition with Delta. They need to focus on what they have that works, like their Caribbean routes for example. Right now they do not have a very good reputation with travelers, and unless they can make a drastic turnaround in terms of service and upkeep on their planes they can never compete with the other major carriers. As a booking agent, I have had several customers tell me that they don't want to fly "U.S. Scare" even if they have lower prices. It's very difficult to overcome something like that. So, close some routes, sell some planes (they have a lot of older planes anyway), and focus on improving passenger experience.
Ninjas can kill anyone they want! Ninjas cut off heads all the time and don't even think twice about it.

aerorobnz

Sat Apr 02, 2005 4:38 pm

Quoting WGW2707 (Reply 12):
I can't understand the irrational desire among so many airliners.net members to see US Airways go out of business

It isn't irrational. Let's face it, it practically dead wood. One Airline going under is better than 2 or 3. I wouldn't think US going under would help some of the legacy carriers, but it may well save those companies that are borderline. Yes it would be sad for all their employees to lose their jobs, but as members of the volatile and everchanging airline industry workforce, they accept that as par for the course just as the rest of us at other Airlines do. If they are good enough at their jobs they will be reemployed somewhere else soon enough anyway. Yes the price of fuel does have a lot to answer for, but that's the luck of the draw, at another point in time it would be doing well, but in this reality it isn't. It's tough luck though.
Flown to 120 Airports in 44 Countries on 73 Operators. Visited 55 Countries and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.