ei2ksea

Round The World With Star Opinons

Fri Mar 25, 2005 1:44 am

I need some opinons on the following choices. Im currently finalising a round-the-world trip using the Star Alliance RTW ticket but in a few areas I have a choice of airline (which is where you come in). Id love some feedback on the best choice on the following routes;

1. Ireland - Singapore
DUB-CPH-SIN - SAS shorthaul, SAS longhaul or Singapore Longhaul or Thai Longhaul

OR

DUB-FRA-SIN - Lufthansa Shorthaul and Choice of Singapore or Lufthansa Longhaul or Thai Longhaul via BKK

OR

DUB-LHR-SIN - BMI Shorthaul and choice of Thai Longhaul via BKK or Singapore direct.

2. Hawaii - Vancouver, Canada

HNL-YVR - Air Canada

OGG-SFO-YVR - United Airlines

3. East Coast USA - Ireland

BOS-PHL-SNN - USAirways

JFK-LHR-DUB - United Airlines & BMI Shorthaul

Thanks in Advance
Ph
Next Flight: DUB-BOS (EI), BOS-DEN-PDX (SWA), SEA-BOS (AS)

bananaboy

RE: Round The World With Star Opinons

Fri Mar 25, 2005 2:59 am

On the *A ticket you will be booked into "B" class on UA which, if you are a member of Mileage Plus, will be bonus miles for you. Regardless of that, you will also be eligible for Economy Plus, which will give you more legroom than the AC option.

Of the first options, I would rate TG's Econ above Singapore. . (I have not flown LH). I did a *A RTW a year ago, and LHR-BKK on TG was good, though I value space above everything else. Their IFE was poor, but service, food and legroom were very good. SQ on the other hand had great IFE, but I didn't rate the service or food as highly, and the legroom on the 777 was not good at all. Not sure, but I hear TG are bringing their newly refitted 747's to LHR, so if you get good IFE too, they will have an excellent product.

ps (hint hint..) http://www.airliners.net/discussions/trip_reports/read.main/43993 and http://www.airliners.net/discussions/trip_reports/read.main/43995

Mark
All my life, I've been kissing, your top lip 'cause your bottom one's missing

wunala

Tue Apr 05, 2005 5:55 pm

If the flight is booked in B class, then I would take the UA option, as you get to sit in Economy Plus. Service is the same as economy, but you get 5 inches extra pitch.

With all the flying you will be doing, you will appreciate the space.

Have you sorted out your Frequent Flyer membership yet? There must be at least 1 free flight waiting for you on return.

PhilSquares

Tue Apr 05, 2005 8:39 pm

Quoting BananaBoY (Reply 1):
Of the first options, I would rate TG's Econ above Singapore

If you Fly SQ fromFRA-SIN or LHR-SIN you'll be on the 744. I guess, I'd challenge the above statement about SQ v. TG. There is no comparison.

[Edited 2005-04-05 13:41:02]
Fly fast, live slow

daron4000

Thu Apr 07, 2005 6:50 am

Also, depending on when this ticket will be used, SQ will fly the A380 from SIN-LHR starting early-mid 2006!

bananaboy

Sun Apr 10, 2005 3:01 am

Quoting PhilSquares (Reply 3):
If you Fly SQ fromFRA-SIN or LHR-SIN you'll be on the 744. I guess, I'd challenge the above statement about SQ v. TG. There is no comparison.

Horses for courses really PhilSquares.

SQ have a good reputation, and I may be disagreeing with a majority who prefer SQ. I was just not impressed with either personal space or food / beverage choice.

Mark
All my life, I've been kissing, your top lip 'cause your bottom one's missing

intothinair

Mon Apr 11, 2005 10:43 am

I'd definately go for the DUB-CPH-SIN route with SAS-SQ.
The route CPH-SIN is flown with a 772ER, with 34 inch pitch in economy, with avod, and in business, with the spacebed, in a 2-2-2 layout=a lot of space, with Thai, it's a 747-400 as far as I know, no PTV's in economy, not any more pitch than on the SQ 777-200ER, and the service is just about as good, + an extra stop in BKK.
If you would go for the DUB-FRA-SIN, or DUB-LHR-SIN I would go for SQ long haul, due to PTV's, reasonable pitch, and direct, however, I think the SQ 747-400 have got 32 inch pitch, which is possibly 1 inch less than Thai, not sure about that though.
I hope this helps.

Cheers, Konstantin G.