Garri767
Topic Author

Jetblue, Independance, Southwest, Or Airtran

Thu Mar 31, 2005 12:58 pm

go on, tell me, who do you think should wear the crown as "best low fare air carrier"? my opinion, wn deserves it.
Two wrongs may not make a right, but three lefts do!

UAalltheway

RE: Jetblue, Independance, Southwest, Or Airtran

Thu Mar 31, 2005 4:13 pm

I think it should be Jetblue because of their IFE system. They do need to expand a little more though to catch up with Southwest and Airtran.

RCS763AV

Fri Apr 01, 2005 8:29 am

I vote for DH and AirTran.

kcrwflyer

Fri Apr 01, 2005 2:06 pm

everyone there but southwest seems to be great. From a comfort and treatment perspective.

Rydel

Sat Apr 02, 2005 6:28 am

I vote for Independence.

UAalltheway

Sat Apr 02, 2005 2:15 pm

I think Jetblue and Indepence already have a good reputation, as compared to the natorious "airtrash" and "southworst" (quoted by my good friend WindowSeat =p).

USairways16BWI

Sat Apr 09, 2005 1:25 am

from best to worst:

1-Jetblue
2-Spirt
3-Airtran
4-Independence

5-WN

AirWillie6475

Sat Apr 09, 2005 3:12 am

If it wasn't for those $39 each way tickets that fit my college budget, I would never think of flying them. Thanks Southwest. I leave the long flights to the others. I am definitely going to try the new BUR-JFK route that JetBlue is starting.

FlyingTexan

Sat Apr 09, 2005 4:37 am

Southwest is the best. Number two is AitTran.
"Wouldn't your boss like to fly home nonstop at 4:30 on a Friday afternoon?" -Airline Exec to Congressional Staffer

JBLUA320

Mon Apr 11, 2005 6:24 am

Ive flown them all but Indepedence, and will be flying DH on Friday. But in my opinion of the other three, its:
1) jetBlue
2) AirTran
3) Southwest

I have no major beef with Southwest. The few tiems I've flown them, I've had average flight crews. Really, it's just another airline. However, if the choice was ISP-FLL or JFK/LGA-FLL and the price was the same, I'd rather go with the airline that gives me a TV to watch and a choice of things to keep me fed for the short 2:15 that the flight lasts.

THey are all good.. but jetBlue has the edge over both of them.

JBLU

airbus3801

Mon Apr 11, 2005 7:44 am

Jet Blue all the way. I just have a huge problem with Southworst, it is that they don't even give you an assigned seat. I don't want to have to be hearded onto an aircraft like cattle for a mad dash to the aisle seat! I don't want to be stuck with a middle seat for however many hours because there was a traffic jam on the highway! Also, JetBlue has pristine and professional flight attendents, excellent aircraft, excellent entertainment, and usually the same price if not cheaper than Southwest. Also, they fly into real airports like JFK and not ISP!

Jeremy

Sat Apr 16, 2005 6:14 am

I think Southwest is all right, but they really need assigned seating and IFE!
Singing or joke-telling Flight Crews just aren't going to it anymore!
You are now free to be sexually harassed and then terminated for filing a complaint--Southwest Airlines to me.

UAalltheway

Sat Apr 16, 2005 6:30 am

Quoting KcrwFlyer (Reply 3):
everyone there but southwest seems to be great. From a comfort and treatment perspective.

Apparently you've never rode in FL's coach! Oh god.. don't sit down too fast!

--

I think overall it should be Jetblue. Although they don't have the world's best route network, they're doing great in both an aircraft maintnaince as well as comfort and IFE prespective, and they also NAIL other airlines with their service. Most likely one of the many reasons why they were voted #1 airline by multiple survey companies.

qantas777

Sun Apr 24, 2005 11:51 pm

Only two of the damn carriers mentioned were LCC's: AirTran and Southwest. JetBlue is not a low cost airline. I know I will get a lotta crap postings in response, but its not low cost. Flyi, who the hell are they anyway. CRJ's for an LCC? No.

Product wise, B6 kicks butt.
Network wise, cant beat SWA
Crap wise, Flyi
AirTran fits somwhere btwn swa and b6.

satx

Mon Apr 25, 2005 4:30 am

WN for the following reasons...

=> Excellent safety record
=> Better seat pitch
=> Many non-stop routes
=> On-time performance
=> Average ticket price
=> Staff professionalism
=> Rules and conditions
=> Luggage accuracy
=> Mainline equipment
=> Employee relations
=> Full drink service
=> Snack service on long flights

Is WN perfect? Of course they're not, but I've been happy with them 99% of the time so far. That's better than any other carrier I've ever been on, and I've flown most US legacy carriers on multiple occasions. If and when jetBlue offers service to my hometown, I might try them out. Until then I'll fly WN when I can.
Open Season on Consumer Protections is Just Around the Corner...

N766UA

Mon Apr 25, 2005 7:18 am

I have flown Indy, Southwest, and Air Tran. As far as coach service, I think Southwest takes the cake. Air Tran was good, but the legroom was much more cramped. As for value, I think Air Tran is great if you can grab a business class seat. For only 35 bucks more you can upgrade and it is well worth it. Indy Air was great on the flight to IAD, but the departing flight was.... well... for starters it was 7 hours late. My impression of the IAD operation DH has was that it's a total hellhole and is gunna kill that airline. Their service, however, is good.

I think it all depends on your market. jetBlue I'm sure is best for flights over 2 hours, Southwest is best for shorter flights or flights you need to book without much advance warning, and Air Tran is great if you can get a business class seat but, as I said, if you're over 5'10'' the coach seats on the 717 are cramped. I still loved FL though. Independence? They're great if you really like waiting in the terminals in Dulles!  Big grin
This Website Censors Me

jetblueatjfk

Tue Apr 26, 2005 4:23 am

Well I think jetBlue wins because of the IFE, nice fares, new planes, staff professionalism, etc. I love their route structure b/c it is based around my hometown and the biggest metro area in the country(Or it was the biggest) still it has a lot of people and I love the leather seats and the Blue Chips are really good.

Southwest is next b/c I like the fares and the seats are comfortable, even though the staff aren't all professional, it is till ok. The cattle car arrangement is not good and I hate it. I had to end up sitting 20 rows away from my dad b/c Southwest can't let people pick where they want to sit and if you are late to the airport, that is it, you will basically be getting a bad seat far away from people you know.

Never flown FL or DH but I like DH b/c of fares and route structure and my aunt who lives in DC and flies it alot loves them. Planes are nice except if you are tall.
And FL seems good by route structure, planes, and services. XM Radio and the seats as I have heard are good but not if you are tall and big.

Overall:
1.jetBlue by miles
2.Southwest
3. Independence and AirTran tie b/c I don't see anything that sets either of them ahead of each other except for FL's XM but B6 will have that soon so that will set B6 higher and keep FL with DH.

airplane  jetBlueAtJFK  airplane 

isitsafenow

Thu Apr 28, 2005 11:04 am

According to a magazine I read over the week-end, the best LCC in the USA was.........................................SONG.
Surprise, Surprise....
Safe
If two people agree on EVERYTHING, then one isn't necessary.

jetblueatjfk

Fri Apr 29, 2005 12:39 am

This is jetBlue, Independence, Southwest, and AirTran, not that horrible green mess. (If anyone likes them then excuse me but I have a thing for "copy-cat" airlines and ugly planes-the 757 is the best and it looks like it was snotted on, it is a sin).
Anyway adding onto what I said before, also I think if DH continues to have financial problems then they will drop to the bottom of my list only because you kind of get the felling that you hope the airline will be around to operate the flight. I do like DH alot but you want an airline that you know will be around for some time, not just a quick visit.

airplane  jetBlueAtJFK  airplane 

exFATboy

Mon May 02, 2005 1:34 am

1 - JetBlue
2 - AirTran
3 - Southwest

(I've never flown DH, so I can't comment on them. I tend to buy my tickets way in advance when I can, and their financial difficulties make me nervous. I don't have to worry about B6 or FL not being there six months from now. If they offer service to SRQ at some point in the future, I might give them a closer look.)

JetBlue
JetBlue wins on customer service, comfort, IFE, website...well, just about everything. If B6 flies to where I want to go, unless someone else has a really great fare, B6 wins. 'Nuff said.

AirTran
I've only flown AirTran twice, and it was fine. One flight was in Business Class, and it was nice to have the option, especially when going to Florida during the holidays...it's nice to be able to get away from the "flying day care centre" in the back. The lack of IFE's a factor, but not a huge one (and XM Radio will be good - I have it at home already, and really like it.)

For me, the thing that makes AirTran uncompetitive is that I'd have to change planes in Atlanta. About 50-60% of my annual flying is to visit family in Tampa, and, all other things being equal, why would I choose to have to change planes in ATL if I don't have to? Especially when, on those occasions when B6 is too expensive, I usually have a choice of a non-stop on AA - AA offers very aggressive pricing from LGA to Florida, and I can get my AAdvantage miles. (Once I have the miles I need for my next trip to Australia, this'll be much less of a factor.)

I still consider FL every time I book a flight, especially if it's somewhere B6 doesn't fly. I'll also check them out when I buy for Christmas (it'd be easier for me to fly into SRQ than TPA, as my brother lives in Bradenton. Of course, if B6 ever offers non-stop JFK-SRQ, which I expect they will eventually, the whole "connection factor" will hurt FL here.)

Southwest
Southwest...well, first of all I DETEST the "cattle call" boarding. For, say, LAS-LAS or TPA-FLL, I couldn't care less where I sit. For longer flights, I do care, and I care a lot. I just bought tickets to LAS for the first weekend in June, and did not even consider WN. (Part of that, to be fair, is that I'd have to drive to ISP to fly WN, and with all the choices out of LGA, JFK, and EWR, WN would probably not stand a chance anyway.)

Now I know you can use on-line check to get in the first boarding group and all that, but...whatever. Just drag yourselves into the 21st century and offer assigned seating already, at least on longer flights. Maybe offer it only to people who book on the website, as an additional incentive to book on-line. B6 manages to turn their planes rather quickly with assigned seating, so I'm just not buying that excuse any more.

I don't mind the occasional joking by the FAs (JetBlue sometimes has humorous announcements, too), but all too often a lot of the "folksiness" on WN comes across as "fake" or "forced." I freely grant that that may just be me, but it's the same feeling I get when I walk into a WalMart, or deal with some people in the South - that it just isn't real.

It really doesn't matter that much though, since I'm not going all the way out to ISP anyway!

As for other LCC's (or pseudo-LCC divisions of other carriers), I've never flown on Frontier, Spirit, or Ted. Flew Song back when they first started - it was OK, but since it was so long ago and the IFE wasn't in place, I can't do a fair comparsion to other LCCs today. (I will say that I'd consider any other LCC before flying WN on a flight of over an hour or so, though.) Once I have my Australia miles on AA, the "if I'm not flying B6..." slot will be wide open and DL/Song (and everyone else) will be more competitive.

[Edited 2005-05-01 18:36:59]

Hirnie

Mon May 02, 2005 4:08 am

I vote for Air Tran.
2nd should be Southwest.

regards

N200WN

Mon May 16, 2005 3:58 pm

Surprising how many people want to be told where to sit ahead of time. Who cares...the open seating is one of the things I like best when non-reving around the country on Southwest. Assigned seating or not...on a full flight there will always be people in the middle seats. A childish issue if you ask me.

FLAIRPORT

Tue May 17, 2005 12:04 am

jetBlue takes the cake here. I have had a better expirence every time I fly them and the first time I flew them it was "my best flying expirence..." until the next time, until the NEXT TIME!

Their ground staff is superb. They get the job done on the ramp and in the terminal. They have no problem changing seats for you and if you need to get in sooner (in my case, my flight was delayed for almost 2 hours and it was an 8:15pm flight and I had to get up at 6am the next morning...the 6:30 flight was delayed for an hour too) they will cange your flight for NO FEE and with a smile..even getting us 3 seats together! (ok, it wasn't a 100% full flight, but still)

They deal with groups well at FLL. Everything we did was as a group. At JFK they did not treat us like a group, but they still handled us well. But they laugh, they joke, they have fun even at the ticket counter! (and they let a couple of lbs overweight slide!) Also, with groups, at JFK they boarded our group 1 row at a time...and we still pushed on time!

Their in flight service is outstanding, and their food and entertainment is exceptional.

You can't beat B6!
AirTran gets #2 simply because I've only flown them, B6, and WN and I disliked WN.
WN is #3...late was the key word...it was an hour flight to JAX and nobody would sit down. Still, the crew on my return was up to par with B6, and no complaints on the JAX-FLL portion of the route! I will have to get used to it, as they appear to be my only way home (cheap) for the holidays this fall and winter!
DH gets 4 because I hear Spirit is crap, giving Spirit 5.
NEXT FLIGHT: FLL-ATL-HPN on FL

exFATboy

Tue May 17, 2005 7:10 am

Quoting N200WN (Reply 21):
Surprising how many people want to be told where to sit ahead of time. Who cares...the open seating is one of the things I like best when non-reving around the country on Southwest. Assigned seating or not...on a full flight there will always be people in the middle seats. A childish issue if you ask me.

It's not "being told where to sit" - it's "telling the airline where I would prefer to sit." Big difference.

And yes, unless its a light flight, someone is going to get stuck in the centre. But why shouldn't I have the option of making sure it isn't me, without having to deal with the stupidity of the cattle call? With JetBlue's online seat map, I can try to maximize the possibility of getting an empty centre seat by choosing an aisle seat in a row where the window is already taken, and I can do this from the comfort of my PC weeks in advance.

The airline is there for my convenience, not the other way around, and other LCCs have proven that WN's excuse of "turn time" just doesn't fly (pardon the pun) any more. Southwest just doesn't want to have to spend some money on software - and as long as there are enough people who want to fly on AirWalMart, and as long as every other US LCC (AFAIK) offers assigned seating, I can live quite well without them and they can live quite nicely without me.

On longer flights, I insist on an aisle seat not just for my comfort, but for my fellow passengers as well, as I have fairly broad shoulders, and (for medical reasons) use the restroom more frequently than most people do. It's simply polite for me to choose an aisle seat.

BTW, you might want to consider that people have many reasons for wanting seat choice before throwing around arrogant insults like "childish."

MH017

Thu May 19, 2005 4:11 am

Never flown on any of the four, but would choose AirTran, just for the fun of flying the 717, quite a "rare" aircraft type  Wink
don't throw away tomorrow !

exFATboy

Fri May 20, 2005 4:11 am

Quoting ExFATboy (Reply 23):
...as long as every other US LCC (AFAIK) offers assigned seating...

Update to the "AFAIK" part of that - got curious after I spotted a thread over on Civil Aviation about Allegiant's policies:

Allegiant charges a "nominal fee" for assigned seating, which also buys you priority boarding - passengers with assigned seating board first. Presume that means everyone has a pseudo-cattle-call style boarding.

Airtran has assigned seating for business class or full-fare coach passengers in advance, lower coach fare types get seats assigned at check-in. No cattle call, though.

All the other US LCCs I checked offers assigned seating prior to day of travel, most at time of purchase.

I checked Spirit, Frontier, Midwest, Song, Ted, Independence, Hooters Air, and Transmeridian. (I'd already remarked on JetBlue. I'm not 100% sure about Song thanks to some really bad website design - no FAQ, no search function. But the check-in section mentions seat assignments, so I'm presuming they allow them at purchase.)

(Did I miss anyone?)

B742

Fri May 20, 2005 5:32 am

1) JetBlue
2) Song
3) Independance
4) AirTran

Rob!

N200WN

Fri May 20, 2005 9:47 am

I haven't read this thread since I posted on it. Just a few comments to add...

It's not "being told where to sit" - it's "telling the airline where I would prefer to sit." Big difference.

True

And yes, unless its a light flight, someone is going to get stuck in the centre. But why shouldn't I have the option of making sure it isn't me

Good point

I can do this from the comfort of my PC weeks in advance

Well I still think this is funny...but being someone with two very active little rugrats and a working spouse it's just enough for me to worry about what's for dinner let alone where I'm going to sit on a 1.5 hour flight three weeks from now...lol.

WN's excuse of "turn time" just doesn't fly (pardon the pun) any more

That was only part of the reason. Back before 9/11 WN was all about keeping everything as simple as possible (plastic boarding cards only given at the gate). Assigned seats would have been a major change in the way we do business. But all of the changes required since 9/11 (for security reasons) and WN's recognition of the fact that we must make things easier for the consumer have driven all kinds of upgrades that I never thought we would do. I can tell you that we are still refining a lot of the software so real soon a change to the open seating will not be as big a leap as before. While I'm still a big fan of open seating for myself, WN could make the change much easier now if the competitive environment warrants it.

fly on AirWalMart

Now that wasn't nice  Smile...Southwest is a good airline with good service and treats its people great.

I can live quite well without them and they can live quite nicely without me.

Well maybe you can live without Southwest...but Southwest can't live without you. If you feel so strongly about the subject let the powers that be know...write to Customer Relations and let them know. Trust me when I say that letters from Customers/Consumers are taken very seriously. You will have nothing to lose and the great route network of a great LCC to gain. Come on down to San Antonio and I'll even take you down to the River Walk for some great Mexican food and we can talk about everything that we love about the airline industry!

Southwest Airlines
Customer Relations
P.O Box 36647
Dallas TX 75235

and (for medical reasons) use the restroom more frequently than most people do. It's simply polite for me to choose an aisle seat.

This alone qualifies you for preboarding. Just ask for a "blue preboard sleeve" at the gate. You will not have to explain your condition to the gate agent...just "how preboarding will help you with seating." You will be treated with dignity and respect.

BTW, you might want to consider that people have many reasons for wanting seat choice before throwing around arrogant insults like "childish."

Sorry...certainly didn't mean to sound arrogant. I'll try not to post so late in the evening (early morning) after a long day at work. I certainly don't want to be misunderstood. Now I could be like Padcrasher and tell you to go jump in a lake...but I'm just not that kind of guy!

exFATboy

Fri May 20, 2005 12:17 pm

Hi, N200WN...what a nice post! Sorry if I got a little testy at the end..."arrogant" was a little too harsh. I tend to be a little sarcastic sometimes - comes from working in the securities industry and living in New York City. (And being misanthropic Big grin )

And I don't really mean "AirWalMart" as an insult - WalMart is very, VERY good at what it does, and so is Southwest. It's just that in terms of marketing and certain aspects of corporate "style", Southwest reminds me of WalMart, with so much emphasis on price and keeping things basic (no IFE, the "cattle call", the "folksiness", etc.), whereas JetBlue reminds me of Target, doing things with a little more style and panache, and sometimes costing a little more. (BTW, I have no idea what that makes AirTran, Frontier, etc. I'm not calling anyone K-Mart here  Smile And yes, I'm a very loyal Target shopper.)

Quoting N200WN (Reply 27):
Southwest is a good airline with good service and treats its people great.

Very true, unlike WalMart (or at least what I've read about it), from everything I've ever heard or read, WN treats its employees well.

Good service? Well, sometimes that's just a matter of what style you prefer. The "folksiness" (for lack of a better term) that Southwest (and WalMart) project just really, really grates on the nerves sometimes. For example, on the Southwest home page right now, there's a picture from new PIT service with the quote "We're proud to come home to Pittsburgh and look forward to offering low fares with positively outrageous Customer Service!" When I fly, I don't want "outrageous" customer service. I want friendly, yet quietly professional and relatively inobtrusive, customer service, like I get on JetBlue (and Target.)

And on the "turn time" issue, thanks for the additional info. My comment is based on the fact that every time I've ever seen anyone from WN asked about assigned seating, "turn time" is always the reason cited for why WN doesn't do it...either that or "it just isn't the Southwest way." But other LCCs have proven that you can have both. And WN could turn assigned seating into a financial and marketing plus - perhaps only offer it to passengers who buy the highest-priced tickets (as AirTran does), charging a small fee like Allegiant (even a few bucks a head would help defray that software cost!), or only offering it to passengers who book on-line (lowest-cost sales method.)

Well I still think this is funny...but being someone with two very active little rugrats and a working spouse it's just enough for me to worry about what's for dinner let alone where I'm going to sit on a 1.5 hour flight three weeks from now...lol.

True, but if you book online (as I always do), choosing your seats fits naturally into the booking process and only takes a few seconds.

Well maybe you can live without Southwest...but Southwest can't live without you.

Aw, shucks...but unfortunately, they'll have to, 'cause I'm not going to Islip - I live in Manhattan, and LGA, JFK, and EWR are all much more convenient. But thanks!

vatveng

Sun May 22, 2005 9:05 pm

I've never flown any of these except AirTran. And I have never had a problem with AirTran. I have always been impressed with them.
I was going to give Indy a try until they decided to leave ORF  grumpy  I have looked at Southwest in the past but their schedules/routes did not fit my needs for those trips. And JetBlue doesn't fly to ORF, PHF, or RIC, so they're out. If I get to go to Vegas later this year (very big IF) I will look at WN's nonstop from ORF, but considering I have enough points in my A-Plus Rewards account for a free flight, I'll probably use them and fly AirTran, it will increase my chances of actually being able to take the trip. (And finally getting to fly in one of the new 73G's.)

I also really really really like the 717  bouncy 

JBLUA320

Mon May 23, 2005 9:15 am

Having now flown Independence, I rank as such:

1. jetBlue
2. Independence
3. AirTran
4. Southwest

JBLU