anthonyd

YYZ - BOM Or YYZ - MAA What Are My Options?

Fri Apr 15, 2005 6:02 am

Just wondering what my best options are from Toronto to either Chennai or Mumbai during the December time frame.

I'd prefer using One World carriers as I am AA plat and would have lounge access with oneWorld.

BA would be the obvious choice but I was wondering if there is anything else?

Namaskar

RE: YYZ - BOM Or YYZ - MAA What Are My Options?

Fri Apr 15, 2005 6:08 am

December is one of the most difficult times to get seats to India, so if you are paying for this out of your own pocket and do not want to spend a fortune, book now! Definitely try and do this through an ethnic agent specializing in the South Asian market. There are plenty of them in Toronto.

OW is a bit thin when it comes to India, so you will have to compare BA to offers from carriers in other alliances. In OW itself you can also go on Cathay Pacific, that would be a circuitous journey from YYZ with stopovers in HKG and BKK.

If you want to be creative and the price is reasonable, you could also try flying on BA to Dubai, and then pick up Cathay Pacific from there to Bombay (they fly a route HKG-BKK-BOM-DXB and vice versa).

Good luck!

4xRuv

Fri Apr 15, 2005 9:27 am

Well, if your final destination is chennai and not BOM, you can take LH as they have a daily!! direct flight FRA-MAA (though they aren't part of one world).
BA only flies to MAA twice a week.
(ALL this information from LH/BA website).
If you want BOM, almost every European country flies there.
You can even try LY YYZ-TLV-BOM. I know TLV isn't that popular for connections, but on the 2 times I did TLV-BOM, there were many europeans on the flight, as LY offered a better price Europe-TLV-BOM than directly Europe-BOM....

blrBird

Fri Apr 15, 2005 9:53 am

If you are flying in Dec to MAA then BA is increasing their freq from 2 to 6 in Oct, that should help you in getting seats easier.

Or to BOM

CX YYZ-HKG-BOM
BA YYZ-LHR-BOM
from star dust....

B747-437B

Fri Apr 15, 2005 10:02 am

Quoting BlrBird (Reply 3):
BA is increasing their freq from 2 to 6 in Oct

I'll wager even money that they will be allocated the extra frequency under the new bilateral to go daily to Chennai.
"The A340-300 may boast a long range, but the A340 is underpowered" -- Robert Milton, CEO - Air Canada

behramjee

Fri Apr 15, 2005 10:33 am

Quoting B747-437B (Reply 4):
I'll wager even money that they will be allocated the extra frequency under the new bilateral to go daily to Chennai.

oh indeed  Wink

Quoting Anthonyd (Thread starter):
I'd prefer using One World carriers as I am AA plat and would have lounge access with oneWorld. BA would be the obvious choice but I was wondering if there is anything else?

Since u are an AA Platinum member, I would only recommend you BA to India from YYZ. Phone this agent Onkar Travels in YYZ 416 966 9000 and speak to Charles or Neesha...dont give my name though!!! They have v good deals to the Subcontinent all year round and are good to do business with.

You should try and be a frequent flyer member of at least 2 airline groupings such as One World and either Sky Team or Star Alliance to broaden your options.

Sky Team to India has AF-KLM-NWA-KE-DL
One World has BA-CX
Star Alliance has LH-AC-OS-SQ-TG and soon LX.

Delta starts JFK-CDG-MAA flights from this May and from YYZ u fly AF to CDG and than DL CDG-MAA-CDG but its nothing great. BA is the best airline amongst LH and DL to fly to MAA from YYZ with tvs in every seat + newer B 772ERs etc...plus who doesnt like a few hours of plane spotting at Heathrow  Wink

anthonyd

Sat Apr 16, 2005 2:55 am

Thanks all of you for the suggestions......If BA is increasing frequency that will help me a fair bit.

Since I'm keen on one transit point rather than 2 (CX) I'll probably be going with BA also considering the in flight goodies and the lounge access....

Pity I've not focused on status with Star Alliance or I could have gone the LH route as well....

mrniji

Sat Apr 16, 2005 2:27 pm

How about some adventure:

YYZ-BHX-ATQ-DEL-BOM/MAA on AI Big grin
"The earth provides enough resources for everyone's need, but not for some people's greed." (Gandhi)

ACB777

Mon Apr 18, 2005 1:21 pm

If you don't mind flying long distances you can fly YYZ-EWR-SIN-DEL