ROSWELL41
Topic Author

Advice On Icelandair

Thu Oct 11, 2001 11:44 am

I am possibly considering icelandair for a flight from JFK to LHR. How is there inflight service and overall experience. Thanks in advance.

Mike

Ironminds

RE: Advice On Icelandair

Thu Oct 11, 2001 4:21 pm

I flew from BWI to CDG once, chnging planes in Keflavik on the way, which I assume you will do. Service will probably be on a 757 to KFV, with a 737 to LHR. Food and drink and seatpitch are OK, but we actually had to PAY for our liquor on the flight (except for one segment, when they were giving it away, at least to me). The ONLY reason to take this is because it is supremely cheap; but with the other airlines getting you across the pond pretty inexpensively, you may want to go with one of htem and spare yourself the connection. (The connection, however, is easy, it all happens in one hall of the airport, and there's some decent duty free shopping -- I bought a box of cigars -- and a bar).

Hope this helps.

aussie_

Sun Oct 14, 2001 9:03 am

You must have flown a while ago Ironminds.

Icelandair have got rid of their 737s and fly a 757-200 only fleet. The are expecting 2 757-300s soon.

I flew them this March from Paris-KEF and return. I found them to be SUPERB. Friendly service, immaculate plane (it was 4 days old on the outward leg - complete with the new 777-style interior), free alcohol, plenty of legroom etc.

I was most surprised, I must say, having expected the service to be average.

So I think you should enjoy it.

And if you have the time, I seriously recommend a stopover in Iceland for a day or two. It is an amazing place, though life is quite expensive.

Ironminds

Sun Oct 14, 2001 10:08 am

Yeah, it was a while ago, Aussie, a few years. The biggest thing that made an impression on me was the fare, which was something like $99 each way! Me and a bunch of my mates took them up on it for a long weekend of Parisian debauchery.

neder99

Wed Oct 17, 2001 7:55 am

Icelandair would be a good choice, although if you're intending to go from New York between 9 Jan - 12 March, then forget it, as Icelandair is halting services to JFK during that period.
I agree with Aussie_ on the experience. It really is a very nice airline, although you only get free alcohol with the meal. If they were to give free alcohol, they'd soon run out, as the mentality of Icelanders is that free alcohol should not be refused, never!
The service is great, food allright, and planes all 757s (although they might still have one 737 left, but that one only does Copenhagen/Amsterdam).
The change in Keflavik is hassle-free, infact, it's quite nice to have a stroll in Keflavik Airport. There are nice shops and a great duty-free.
Hope you make the right choice- Icelandair!
n99

Tg 747-300

Thu Oct 18, 2001 4:41 am

I flew them in May 2000 (OSL-KEF-OSL) onboard their 757-200. The new interior is very nice, but the food annd crew didn't live up to what I had expected.

tg 747-300
intentionally left blank

agrodemm

Thu Oct 18, 2001 5:18 pm

I had the same trip (JFK-LHR and vv) on March 2000.
I had a great trip. Service, food, planes.
I liked the stopover too. KEF is a very friendly and cosy airport.

Go ahead with Icelandair,
Great service for great fare.

Scand_Flyer

Sat Oct 20, 2001 9:22 pm

Totally agree.

I've flown Icelandair from Oslo to JFK with a connection in Keflavik three times. It's always been a pleasure. The connection in Keflavik is no stress at all. I can't remember exactly how many gates the airport has, but I think about 7? Well, it's not like you're going to get lost...

If you have the chance, spend a day or two in Reykjavik. Iceland is very expensive, but also a very exciting country to visit.

I've always chosen Icelandair simply because they've offered very good fares. But the experience has always been great, and their service doesn't stand back to any other airline I've flown. (That's not too many, but still...  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

So, if Icelandair offers you a good fare, and you don't mind the connection, which is very quick by the way, go with Icelandair.

Lindy

Fri Apr 22, 2005 2:10 am

Are there any places at the airport to take pictures from? I will fly with them Sunday and I was wondering how I can kill 2hrs while waiting for my connection flight.

Thanks,
Rafal
BWIADCA - Nikon D100