crox1

Pilot / ATC Available To PAX

Wed Apr 27, 2005 11:54 am

I recently started a thread, that discovered that UA is the only airline that allows pax to eavesdrop on flight crew - ATC communications, (channel 9).

Can anyone tell me why UA are the only airline that offers this?, it cannot be for security reasons as UA are one of the most security conscious airlines, as of 9/11, so why?.

Is it because they think most people are not interested?, you tell me.

Andy
Both optimists and pessimists contribute to the society. The optimist invents the aeroplane, the pessimist the parachute

xjramper

RE: Pilot / ATC Available To PAX

Wed Apr 27, 2005 12:15 pm

How exactly would that affect security? Anyone can pick up a scanner and stand at the airport and listen and heck if they press a button they could actually talk to the controller. On UA, you can't talk. I guess I really don't see the problem? Help me out.

XJR
Look ma' no hands!

GQfluffy

Wed Apr 27, 2005 2:43 pm

Not sure this really relates, but on GQ, if I sit in seat 1C, I can plug in some headphones and listen to the pilots. 1C has a plug for the FAA when they do checkrides. Can't talk back of course, but its still fun to flirt with the female pilots this way.  bigthumbsup 

fluffy
This isn't where I parked my car...

UAalltheway

Thu Apr 28, 2005 12:24 pm

Quoting XJRamper (Reply 1):

I think his question was referring to why other airlines didn't offer this, not why it's safe.