Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

IDISA

RE: Scariest Moment On The Plane?

Mon May 09, 2005 7:17 pm

I've always had smooth flights during the years, nothing really scared happened so far to me. However, about 2 years ago, while flying back to MXP from FCO on one of the oldest AZ MD-80 I've been, I got a severe turbulence while on approach.
The Captain reported there was a heavy thunderstorm at MXP and I remember flying for several minutes through dark clouds and fog with airplane shaking and bumping. Also F/A had to return to their seats and fasten belts.
Nothing else happened and we landed fine in MXP some minute later.

IDISA

BCAL

Tue May 10, 2005 12:37 am

It might not count but my scariest moment on any plane was in June 1979. The DC10 had been grounded following the withdrawal of its certificate of airworthiness following accidents, most notably the Chicago incident. I was a "backpacker" at that time enjoying a holiday in USA having flown over on Laker's Skytrain.

Arriving at JFK for our flight home, we were informed by the Laker representatives that flights had been suspended but we would be provided accommodation at the airline's expense until they could find us a flight. To cut a long story short, being penniless in a New York hotel made me very homesick and desperate to get home. I begged Laker to put me on the first available plane to LGW. They said that they had a DC10 returning empty to base. You could 'volunteer' as a passenger. I jumped at the opportunity and when I found that there were only about 25 passengers on the flight, I had a great time changing seats etc. After a short while, I became very relaxed and any qualms about the DC10's safety disappeared. Suddenly there was an announcement "Ladies and Gentlemen, I am afraid we have an emergency situation". I nearly died until I heard the second part "we forgot to load the coffee at New York!" For the ten seconds, it was my scariest moment on an aircraft and I was furious at the flight attendant's announcement that soon became the joke on the flight.

freedom4all

Fri May 20, 2005 3:31 pm

That would be this year in febuary, flying CO1930 from EWR to CUN, the weather was horrible the whole trip it was turbulence from start to finish, most of the time it was pretty light, almost felt like being on a train, but we hit one pocket that really made the plane drop quite a bit, worst pocket I've ever hit when flying