ltbewr

Strangest/most Unusual Carry-on Pax Item?

Fri May 27, 2005 11:56 am

What is the strangest or most unusual item you have ever seen as a carry on pax item? In another thread a poster told of pax on a TLV-LAX flight carrying carved out ram's horns used in some Jewish ceremonies. Perhaps an unusual cultural item, or musical instrument, personal item. Come on out there, must be some some winners out there  biggrin 

JBLUA320

RE: Strangest/most Unusual Carry-on Pax Item?

Fri May 27, 2005 12:26 pm

On a flight to TLV or from TLV, I don't think thatd be too unusual. Its a shofar-- and is used in religious ceremonies, especially the high holy days.

JBLU

ArmitageShanks

Fri May 27, 2005 12:46 pm

I took 3 machetes on my carry on bags from BZE-IAH-ATL-TRI back in May 2001. I'm suprised they let me get away with that.

OzLAME

Fri May 27, 2005 3:11 pm

I recall an interview with a pole-vaulter in which the vaulter said her pole was placed in the aisle as carry-on luggage. Also although it really isn't carry-on luggage, the book Destination Disaster (about the Paris DC-10 crash in 1974) described how the Landing Gear Pins for the a/c were placed on the cabin floor and flew with the a/c as THY didn't have pins at all of their ports.
Monty Python's Flying Circus has nothing to do with aviation, except perhaps for Management personnel.

flyboy1980

Fri May 27, 2005 7:16 pm

When I worked for Air NZ, on a flight IVC to CHC (Invercargill to Christchurch), a man came on with a Swede.

Not that unusual u might think, but this wasn't someone from Sweden accompanying him. A Swede is a type of root vegetable, like a giant turnip (about the size of 2 fists).

He came on, popped his vegetable in the overhead locker and sat down.

I wondered why he had to bring it with him - you can buy them all over NZ.

BCAL

Fri May 27, 2005 7:53 pm

You might think I am joking but I was amused at the check-in queue for China Airlines at SFO. A chinese couple had this very large cardboard box. There was a barney and the cardboard box was opened and found to contain a washing machine. From what we were told, they wanted to take the washing machine on the aircraft as hand luggage!

I did notice that other people in the China Airlines queue did have lots of luggage, particularly large electrical appliances. Is this normal?
MOL on SRB's latest attack at BA: "It's like a little Chihuahua barking at a dying Labrador. Nobody cares."

Doona

Fri May 27, 2005 7:59 pm

I read on the "conditions of carriage"-note from KE that all swords have to be declared and checked, and under no circumstances carried in your carry-on luggage. Thought that was pretty funny...

Cheers
Mats
Sure, we're concerned for our lives. Just not as concerned as saving 9 bucks on a roundtrip to Ft. Myers.

fbgdavidson

Fri May 27, 2005 9:30 pm

A friend of mine took a Gaggia Espresso maker as hand luggage on a NCL-LHR flight
"My first job was selling doors, door to door, that's a tough job innit" - Bill Bailey

Pope

Fri May 27, 2005 11:31 pm

I was a juror in a lawsuit that involved a man trying to carry a 4 foot tall concrete lawn ornament (approximately 120 lbs in weight) in the cabin of a CO flight from Houston to Atlanta on Christmas 1992.

When the man showed up on the plane, the FA said no way. The guy had a hissy fit and yelled at the FA. The captain came out, and stated that there was no way that the piece was going to fly in the cabin.

The lawsuit concerned the passenger's allegation that the confrontation before the flight was the reason that the FA allegedly bumped his arm during meal service purportedly leaving him permanently disabled.

Trial lasted 5 days. Deliberations lasted 5 minutes. Not liable - let's go home.
Hypocrisy. It's the new black for liberals.

HorizonGirl

Sat May 28, 2005 4:14 am

Well, when I was going through security one time, I noticed that
the woman in front of me was having a little trouble getting through.
She was wearing a $50,000 metal hat!
It was huge, feathery, metal, yes, she really thought she'd get
through with out a glitch! NOT!

Devon
Flying high on the Wings of the Great Northwest!

Airlinerfreak

Sat May 28, 2005 12:01 pm

My mom got away with a box cutter once on two flights without anyone knowing, even her. We flew LAX-DFW-CLE with it. Then on our way back from CLE- they caught her with the box cutter.

Doona

Sat May 28, 2005 6:09 pm

I forgot to mention, one time when I was flying home after the holidays, about 8 years back, BNA-STL-CDG-CPH, My coat pockets were packed with FIRECRACKERS! I forgot they had been there since new years, and I made from one continent to another with nobody noticing. I'm thinking that is TSA caught me now, I'd be taken out back and shot...

Cheers
Mats
Sure, we're concerned for our lives. Just not as concerned as saving 9 bucks on a roundtrip to Ft. Myers.

MH017

Sat May 28, 2005 6:59 pm

Live chickens in a basket placed on the seat next to me: flight was Aeroflot-Uzbekistan AN24 from Tashkent to Bukhara  Wow!
don't throw away tomorrow !

freedomtofly

Sun May 29, 2005 2:05 am

I don't remeber where I was flying to, but I had two cat's sitting next to me. I think the women actually paid for an extra seat for her cat's.

~Aaron
You are now free to move about the world.

PanAm747

Sat Jun 11, 2005 2:37 am

Legend has it that on some Puerto Rico-bound flights, a passenger was having trouble hanging his unusually heavy garment bag. When the f/a offered to help, it turned it to be a dead body.

Urban legend?
Pan Am:The World's Most Experienced Airline - P(oor) S(ailor's) A(irline): San Diego's Hometown Airline-Catch Our Smile!

carmenlu15

Sat Jun 11, 2005 3:00 am

There were several people, each carrying a large plastic bag full of pupusas on my last flight SAL-GUA.

Ok, I'll confess I was one of them...  blush 
Don't expect to see me around that much (if at all) -- the contact link should still work, though.

hawk44

Sat Jun 11, 2005 11:32 am

I have had one guy with a black cooler type bag with frozen fish inside. I asked him what do with them he said well incase I get hungry I can make a snack while we fly  yuck 

Hawk44
Never under estimate the power of US

sk601

Sun Jun 12, 2005 12:56 am

It is not uncommon to see passengers with car parts as cabin baggage (such as bumpers) for flights leaving to LOS/ACC/KAN/ABV.
Also saw a passenger with a turtle as PETC, although not officially allowed, the captain gave is approval to take it on board. The (small) turtle was not known as endagered species.

1MillionFlyer

Sun Jun 12, 2005 10:43 am

A woman bought a Hula-hoop on my F9 flight from DEN to BNA Thursday night, they had to check it becuase it would not fit in the overhead, she got upset....just bizzare she got it through the TSA!
Golf Foxtrot you are cleared for departure

FlyboyOz

Mon Jun 13, 2005 12:59 pm

hahaha...In 1993 or 1994 (i cant remember), we were in the Darwin Airport. My mom wanted to have a box of frozen cocodile meat (of course there was ice inside) back to SYD. It was really huge (about 50 x 40 cm) and heavy foam box. I thought Qantas wont accept to ship our foam box to SYD but they allow us to carry it on the plane.
The Spirit of AustraliAN - Longreach

PlymSpotter

Mon Jun 13, 2005 8:58 pm

Going back a few years to pre 9/11 I made a radio controlled swamp buggy for a school project, though it would be fun trying it out in our pool in Spain so I carried it as hand luggage LHR-BCN-MAH. Made of plastic, and had several hand made circuit boards in it, so I'm sure today they would take one look at it and say no thanks!

Couple of other cabin pieces that have made me look daft were a very large lampshade, about 15 inches across, IB F/A's let me hold it on my lap from MAH-BCN-LHR, and on the next return trip I took the lamp itself carved out of wood and about 2ft tall. Got some very funny looks!

Dan Smile
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

SQno1

Mon Jun 13, 2005 9:13 pm

I carried onto the aircraft once a nice, brand new rice cooker!

With Reagrds,
Alex B.

727EMflyer

Tue Jun 14, 2005 6:46 am

Probably not too unusual, but I flew HNL-DEN-BIL for my wedding a year ago and much to my chagrin my wife insisted on carrying her wedding dress. FA's happily hung it up for us, but guess who got stuck holding it while waiting in for the connection in DEN!!! On the return to HNL we carried aboard several bottles of fine french wine we had received as a gift. We asked the FA to stow them in the closet... Turns out she was french, and had lived near one of the vineyards. She told us (jokingly) the wine was absolutely unauthorized and she would have to confiscate it immedieately.

ruger11

Wed Jun 15, 2005 12:09 am

haha this is hilarious! Last week I was in Madrid, headed to Lisbon on Iberia. Guy in line has a big trophy, we were laughing quitely about it, and I made the joke that it was a chess trophy cause he wasn't too big. It WAS a chess trophy... and even worse, it was a 2nd PLACE chess trophy.

pretty funny. Oh and on the return flight (coming through lisbon from Sal, Cape Verde We had two large girrafe wood carvings, as well as a semi nude woman and an elephant carved.

Cirrostratus

Wed Jun 15, 2005 8:01 pm

A couple of nights ago my father-in-law was telling me how a friend of his took a rocking chair onboard years ago. I think this happened in Singapore.
Three years ago my father managed to smuggle an illegal, smokable (sp?) substance on an international flight, Canada to Italy. He was coming to Italy for my wedding and didn't want to be without his usual supply I suppose. I still wonder how he did it.

Meerkat

Wed Jun 15, 2005 9:45 pm

A friend of mine recently had to bring back a toilet-seat from BKK-HKG for another friend over here. Apparently it was some fancy Thai design...can only imagine the looks he got  Smile

BAxMAN

Thu Jun 16, 2005 1:50 am

Quoting MH017 (Reply 12):
Live chickens in a basket placed on the seat next to me: flight was Aeroflot-Uzbekistan AN24 from Tashkent to Bukhara

In the same part of the world, I had the chickens plus a scraggy, old, white goat on a HY flight from Nukus-Tashkent on a rickety AN24.

All baggage (including animals) were dumped at the back of the plane and i dared not look over my shoulder in case that goat had an evil look in his eye and decided to cock his leg over my backpack and give it an unwanted golden shower.

Thankfully, the goat behaved impeccably. Airlines would be much more joyful places to work if all passengers were as well behaved as this goat. Quite why FR and others refuse to carry animals in preference to common, Burberry cladded chavs, I don't know.
I need to get laid

soups

Fri Jun 17, 2005 4:58 pm

On a flight to lagos from beirut seen people taking ironing boards, car windscreens, fruits (like apples, grapes). on a flight to beirut from ACC saw a familly taking some sofas (made from bamboo).
worst thing i took was my monkey lol..... a friend of the familly wanted to end a melon with me i said nope lol
Next destinations, Suarabaya, beirut, paris, Accra

USairways16BWI

Fri Jun 17, 2005 5:45 pm

a few years back, my mother carried on a christmas ham on a JAX-PHL flight. she said she was holding it in her lap the whole flight.

atco2b

Fri Jun 17, 2005 10:16 pm

Stretchers! With passengers strapped to them. Quite a sight actually...
Hey, you want to go out for pizza and some sex? What, you don't like pizza?

Jeremy

Sat Jun 18, 2005 11:00 am

Never seen anything too strange up top, but I loaded a grocery shopping cart on a WN flight one day.
The Passenger was going IND-MDW-OMA.
You are now free to be sexually harassed and then terminated for filing a complaint--Southwest Airlines to me.

corocks

Wed Jun 22, 2005 12:41 pm

In '98 on a flight from Africa to the US I was allowed to take a disassembled spear on the plane. Of course would not be allowed now post 9/11.

On a flight from Spain to Houston, a co-worker of mine was allowed to take a crossbow. No arrows with it though.

USAFHummer

Wed Jun 22, 2005 12:56 pm

I took a duffel bag full of packages of 9 ounce plastic cups on a flight with me recently...I like drinking from them, but can't find them in Boulder supermarkets, so I have to bring them from the east coast with me...that stash should last around a year or so, then I get to do it again!

Greg
Chief A.net college football stadium self-pic guru

swisskloten

Wed Jun 22, 2005 1:57 pm

Quoting MH017 (Reply 12):
Live chickens in a basket placed on the seat next to me: flight was Aeroflot-Uzbekistan AN24 from Tashkent to Bukhara

Mate, this is Aeroflot. When you fly them, stuff like that is the NORM! I'd be laughing my ass off if that happened on my flight!

targqul

Thu Jun 23, 2005 11:47 am

Carried a Mining Transit and American Transit (surveying equipment) that my Great Grandfather used in the early 20th century from AZO-CHI-PDX. These transits were in their original wooden boxes (designed to be carried overland by horse/ donkey ). TSA of course went nuts with all the brass (and they had been used in coal mines, so had a carbon hit) but when I opened the cases they all got a kick at looking at the equipment. Fight crew was real great stowing them and taking care of them...

squirrel83

Thu Jun 23, 2005 11:52 am

This may not be weird but onetime a lady had a Crystal Ball in a Acrylic case ABQ-IAH.
A346, 7E7, 747, 777, Sonic Cruiser