N270FT
Topic Author

US Airlines And First Class

Tue May 31, 2005 8:40 am

Hi,

I am currently on holiday in Orlando Fl and are planning to go to Seattle for a few days. Just curious as to which US Airline offers the best first class product on this route. I tried NWA first class (LGW-MCO) last year and wasn't too impressed.

Thanks.

A.W.

[Edited 2005-05-31 01:45:58]

flypdx

RE: US Airlines And First Class

Tue May 31, 2005 8:52 am

I was quite impressed with DL in First Class when I flew them from PDX to NAS via ATL.

Cory6188

Tue May 31, 2005 8:54 am

Most will say that CO has the best domestic F, especially if you are flying transcon (such as if you were to fly MCO-EWR-SEA). However, that's somewhat out of the way, and MCO-IAH-SEA would be a better routing. Either way, your F service should be pretty good (not great). If not CO, then try NW through DTW or MSP. Many say that NW isn't too bad upfront either, but unlike CO, their planes are older and they don't have any IFE. The large majority of CO's aircraft have overhead LCD screens every few rows.

misbeehavin

Tue May 31, 2005 8:54 am

Keep in mind, Domestic First in the US = Club / Business class elsewhere.

And that the LGW-MCO flight you did couldn't have been on NW unless you connected in MSP or DTW.

And I'm not surprised you weren't impressed with NW's First product - it's not very impressive!  Smile

[Edited 2005-05-31 01:57:27]

Cactus739

Tue May 31, 2005 9:01 am

I've only experienced US, CO and AS first class....so can't comment on NW.. but I would go Alaska. digEplayers, friendly flight attendants, and the food is usually top notch....
You can't fix stupid.... - Ron White

deltairlines

Tue May 31, 2005 9:03 am

Delta and US Airways' first class is nothing to write home about. On Delta, all it is is free booze, a bigger seat and a few more passes of the snack basket. Same with US Airways. It's worth getting if you're an elite and are getting the complimentary upgrade, but I certainly wouldn't pay for it out of my own pocket.

Jeff

N270FT
Topic Author

Tue May 31, 2005 9:14 am

Quoting Misbeehavin (Reply 3):
And that the LGW-MCO flight you did couldn't have been on NW unless you connected in MSP or DTW

It was through Detroit on the way and Mineapolis on the return.

It wasn't that I hated NW, but i guess I was expecting more. However, the FA's were extremely friendly and the flights on time.

What about AA? I am a Executive club silver member and oneworld Sapphire.
It would be good to get miles, even though I came here on UA / VS through IAD, which by the way is awful (not trying that again).

A.W.

[Edited 2005-05-31 02:23:41]

CAL

Tue May 31, 2005 9:21 am

Continental Airlines
Dining within the United States

Meals and Snacks

Meals and snacks are served on flights over 1 1/2 hours for First Class and over 2 hours for Economy Class.

Breakfast / Snack: 7:00 a.m. - 9:00 a.m.
Lunch / Snack: 11:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.
Dinner / Snack: 5:00 p.m. - 7:00 p.m.

Flights 1 1/2 - 2 hours

First Class: Complimentary beverages and a continental snack will be offered for Breakfast. During the traditional Lunch/Dinner hours, a cold snack will be offered.

Economy Class: Beverages and a continental snack will be offered for Breakfast. During the traditional Lunch/Dinner hours, beverages and munchies will be offered.

Flights over 2 hours

First Class: Beverages and a hot or cold choice of entrée will be offered for Breakfast and a hot choice of entrée for Lunch and Dinner.

Economy Class: Beverages and a cold breakfast snack will be offered for Breakfast. A fresh cold sandwich snack will be offered for Lunch and Dinner.

Flights over 3 1/2 hours

First Class: Beverages and a hot or cold choice of entrée will be offered for Breakfast and a hot choice of entrée for Lunch and Dinner. Fresh baked-on-board cookies are included with Breakfast Lunch. Ice cream with your choice of toppings is included with Dinner.

Economy Class: Beverages and a snack basket containing cold breakfast items will be offered for Breakfast. A fresh hot sandwich snack basket will be offered for Lunch or Dinner.

If your flight is not during the scheduled Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner hours, a light snack may be offered.

First Class
On flights over two hours between 5:00 a.m. and 7:59 p.m.
On flights over three hours between 8:00 p.m. and 4:59 a.m.

Economy Class
On flights over three hours between 5:00 a.m. and 9:29 a.m.
On flights over three hours between 9:30 a.m. and 8:30 p.m.
CAL........Continental Airlines....... Work Hard, Fly Right

ANCFlyer

Tue May 31, 2005 9:30 am

Quoting Cory6188 (Reply 2):
Most will say that CO has the best domestic F, especially if you are flying transcon

Without question. CO is the way to go. You will have to go to IAH first, likely, but what the hell . . . still the best domestic F in the business.

Second choice, AS. They do MCO-SEA non-stop. They also have a decent F product.

My trans-con experience is on AS, NW, CO, US, UA, AA - all in F. Wouldn't go NW. Might give UA or AA a chance. Used to give US a lot of business. Haven't done DL trans-con, so no input there.

Go CO . . . can't beat it.
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

N270FT
Topic Author

Tue May 31, 2005 9:35 am

I flew UA down from IAD last week. I didn't like TED (although the extra legroom was nice). Besides, I think it is only TED from Orlando.

It seems as if it will come down to AS / CO.

A.W.

fbgdavidson

Tue May 31, 2005 9:48 am

Quoting N270FT (Reply 6):
What about AA? I am a Executive club silver member and oneworld Sapphire.
It would be good to get miles

AA via DFW is £660 for flying out this Saturday and returning on Tuesday. 240 tier points towards BA Gold.

You can access the Admirals Club although in my experience they will probably ask for your BA card (despite the fact it will be printed on your boarding pass)
"My first job was selling doors, door to door, that's a tough job innit" - Bill Bailey

N270FT
Topic Author

Tue May 31, 2005 9:52 am

Have just booked Alaska Airlines 9 / 18 MCO - SEA from 6-6-05 to 13-6-05 and the Hotel Monaco.

982 dollars, bargain for a 5 1/2hr flight. Just convert that to pounds!!
Excited to be flying on a 737-900 for the first time

thanks for the helpful info

do you have to pay for the digEplayers in F. Surely not.

A.W.

[Edited 2005-05-31 02:55:07]

Cactus739

Tue May 31, 2005 11:30 am

Hey, he took my suggestion!  tongue 

digE's are free in first.
You can't fix stupid.... - Ron White

ANCFlyer

Tue May 31, 2005 11:31 am

Quoting N270FT (Reply 11):
do you have to pay for the digEplayers in F

Nope . . . enjoy the ride, and we expect a trip report  biggrin 
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

UAalltheway

Tue May 31, 2005 11:46 am

If I were you and had the choice I'd do whichever is cheapest out of CO, US, or UA.  Smile  Wink

PITA333

Wed Jun 01, 2005 7:02 am

US First is ok (food is decent, nice crew most of the time, seats are good), but CO has a far suppirior first to any US based carrier in my oppinion. The food is great and service is excellent. I would go CO if I could, but in my oppinion, US domestic first has gone downhill.

UAalltheway

Wed Jun 01, 2005 11:06 am

Quoting PITA333 (Reply 15):
US domestic first has gone downhill

Absolutely. Domestic EVERYTHING has gone downhill.  Sad