samair

Scruffy Aircraft

Sat Jun 11, 2005 12:12 am

Im just wondering what was the worst aircraft you have ever flown on in areas such as: cabin, exterior, age, flight, sounds coming from the aircraft

thanks,
Sam
the captain has now dimmed the lights for take off this is a routine procedure for flights during the hours of darkness!

MD11junkie

RE: Scruffy Aircraft

Sat Jun 11, 2005 12:43 am

That would have to be the Haitian Airlines DC-9 (yes, shame) in June 1990. Sounds coming from the outside where ok as I remember, but the cabin sounded like it was cracking and the planes cleaness was not the best.

Cheers! wave 
Gastón - The MD-11 Junkie
There is no such thing as Boeing vs Airbus as the queen of the skies has three engines, winglets and the sweetest nose!

skywatch

Sat Jun 11, 2005 1:40 am

Quoting MD11junkie (Reply 1):
That would have to be the Haitian Airlines DC-9 (yes, shame) in June 1990

I have stayed in Haiti for two months, therefore I can imagine that there a/c would not be that great!
For me, it would have to be an Atlantic Airlines (Honduras) Fokker 27. It was re-assuring looking at the RR insignia on the engines though! The a/c was slightly dirty and neglected, but the AC worked. One word of wisdom: Don't eat the food they serve on those things! Non-refrigerated mayonnaise on their sandwiches can make one sick!  vomit 

----Skywatch
------Forever Watchin' The Sky------

10boomer

Sat Jun 11, 2005 3:58 am

Got a tour of an Aeroflot TU-154 parked next to us @ OMFJ.....Yikes! The cabin was in pretty rough shape and smelled like, well, nothing I've smelled before or since. All main gear and nose tires had huge bald spots with cord showing and leaks everywhere...not even on a dare!
Fly Gucci

worldxplorer

Sat Jun 11, 2005 4:06 am

AeroContinente. I flew them in Dec '03 LIM-IQT-LIM on a 737-200 both ways. Whoa! Mismatched seats, entire rows of seats that were unsecured to the floor and slid on their track. Some seats were worn, other were new, some were actually a few inches taller that the next row. The engines had duct tape on them!

Just kidding, the engines had no duct tape on them (that I could see).  wink 

All the flaw seemed to be purely aesthetic, but shortly after my flights a 737 did have a belly landing in LIM! It was an interesting experience to say the least.

WorldXplorer

ozvirginuk

Sat Jun 11, 2005 4:59 am

This would have to be a UA (operated by Ted) A320. A few years ago my BF and I had just flown from LHR to IAD and were going on to MCO. The 772 LHR-IAD was very clean and comfortable.

Our connecting plane was another story. It was absolutely filthy, and stank of vomit throughout the cabin. Add that to a 2.5 hr flight in a bad storm, is it any wonder we were feeling sick when we finally touched down (safely I might add!)

Ted flight on the return was much nicer.

OZ

airbuseric

Sat Jun 11, 2005 5:02 am

Volare Air Company, Antonov 12 UR-SMA back in 2002!

This were flights from AMS to SPU and back.
I chartered the plane for the airline I work for, to catch some tunafish from Croatia. The plane picked me up at AMS for an empty flight to SPU. Overnight there and back with a fully load of 21tons fish (over max load of the a/c!)
The return was a pity:
1) at night
2) crew didn't get rest because unable to clear immigration so no hotel
3) old Russian plane in bad condition
4) I knew we were to heavy!

But, we made it. Couldn't get at a higher lever then 21000ft, but finally we landed at runway 24 at AMS! A flight I will never forget!

Some pics I took:

AMS-SPU 1

AMS-SPU 2

AMS-SPU 3

Rgds
Eric
"The whole world steps aside for the man who knows where he is going"

ACDC8

Sat Jun 11, 2005 1:18 pm

The oldest plane I've ever flown it was a JU-52 built in 1939 (restored of course). But as far as scruffy commercial a/c is concerened...Air Transat L1011 C-GTSP back in 1997 from YVR-AMS. That was just one nasty cabin. Torn seats, stained carpet and the lavs, whoa! My tray table was broken, so it was on an angle, some window shades wouldn't stay up. I won't even go into the details of the extremely rude flight attendents and lack of service, let's just say that once we got into AMS, everyone pretty well lined up at Burger King.
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

zkeoj

Sun Jun 12, 2005 4:34 pm

Quoting ACDC8 (Reply 7):
But as far as scruffy commercial a/c is concerened...Air Transat L1011 C-GTSP back in 1997 from YVR-AMS. That was just one nasty cabin. Torn seats, stained carpet and the lavs, whoa! My tray table was broken, so it was on an angle, some window shades wouldn't stay up. I won't even go into the details of the extremely rude flight attendents and lack of service, let's just say that once we got into AMS, everyone pretty well lined up at Burger King.

You described my experience with OA: both flights (outbound on A300 and inbound on B727) were like that - plus smoking was allowed all over the plane (although they had a non-smoking section, but nobody cared), and on the A300 the coffee machine exploded and there was coffee everywhere, which the flight attendants desperately tried to soak up with tons of newspapers... The food was bad, so all four if us got sick, etc etc...

AR1300

Sun Jun 12, 2005 8:33 pm

VARIG's 767.I hated airplanes for a week after that flight.

Mike
You are now free to move about the cabin

rootsair

Sun Jun 12, 2005 9:32 pm

Guys stop taking bout all that. On July 30 th i'm due to fly the super connie from BSL to GVA and these comments don't reassure me. However, my desire to fly on one of the most historical crafts on Earth whilst its still flying is stronger than the fear.....so far  Wink
A man without the knowledge of his past history,culture and origins is like a tree without roots

ACDC8

Mon Jun 13, 2005 12:08 am

Quoting RootsAir (Reply 10):
On July 30 th i'm due to fly the super connie

I am so jealous! Have a great flight!
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

looneytoon

Mon Jun 13, 2005 6:50 am

back a long time ago, I have flown on some nasty TACA planes from SAL. Brand new but they smelled bad. Also, LAM from Mozambique and Air Malawi wasnt that great either. Air Malawi food and service was good though.
LooneyToon

aerlingus330

Mon Jun 13, 2005 8:45 pm

A Ryanair 737-200 (Should I go any further). It smelled like there had been no airfreshener used since it was bought by them.

AerLingus330
Aer Lingus Airbus A330-300

AirWillie6475

Mon Jun 13, 2005 9:55 pm

Expecting to fly a CRJ, we had a plane change to a Fokker 70 when I was in europe. I had no idea what a fokker was and was nervous but once inside the plane had leather and comforable seats and a nice smelling cabin. Plane had a very smooth sound and I had a great experience on the flight. I do have to say however that the fokker doesn't handle turbulence that well, even in moderate turbulence it was all over the place.