checkraiser

Best Airline To Bangkok?

Wed Jun 15, 2005 2:40 am

I'm thinking of vacationing in Thailand in October and would like to get some feedback about which is the best airline. I have three options that are reasonably priced:

NW MSP-NRT 744
NW NRT-BKK 333

KE ORD-ICN 772
KE ICN-BKK 773 for whatever reason it's cheaper to buy this on a Delta ticket.

JAL ORD-NRT 744
JAL NRT-BKK 744

JAL is probably out because I like my Skyteam miles and an extra $12 isn't much to pay for 18000 of them. NW is about $300 more but I can fly them right out of my crappy little hometown airport. I'm still debating whether that's worth the five hour drive to Chicago and parking. If JAL is a superior product do they codeshare with any Skyteam members? Thanks in advance for your replies.
N1120A is a camel-fucking terrorist.

B742

RE: Best Airline To Bangkok?

Wed Jun 15, 2005 2:50 am

Personaly I would choose to fly TG!

I don't think TG would of started their direct LAX route by October, and probably JFK is a bit far away from MSP/ORD!

Except TG, I would fly ORD-NRT-BKK on UA:
ORD-NRT 772
NRT-BKK 744

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Jay Piboontum

Try and find a good deal on UA!

But out of the options you chose, I would fly NWA then JAL!

Rob!

EddieDude

Wed Jun 15, 2005 1:14 pm

Since accruing SkyTeam miles seems to be your number one priority, I would give KE a chance (then again, if driving to ORD is inconvenient, then it seems NW is the only practical alternative you have).

If your SkyTeam mileage account is DL's SkyMiles and you don't mind doing several stops, I would try to find a cheap flight to LAX or EWR with a SkyTeam carrier from your hometown, then fly SQ non-stop to SIN and then SQ from SIN to BKK. That way you would get to experience SQ's superb (so I've heard) executiveconomy class and accrue SkyMiles all the way.
Next flights: MEX-LAX AM 738, LAX-PVG DL 77L, SHA-PEK CA 789, PEK-PVG CA A332, PVG-ORD MU 77W, ORD-MEX AM 738

hawaijahaz

Wed Jun 15, 2005 1:30 pm

Quoting EddieDude (Reply 2):
That way you would get to experience SQ's superb (so I've heard) executiveconomy class and accrue SkyMiles all the way.

I don't think that you can accrue SkyMiles on SQ. SQ is part of Star Alliance.

9v-svc

Wed Jun 15, 2005 1:38 pm

I have flown on both TG and JL , they are fine airlines . JL is one of my favourites in fact. I dont know about you but I will go for the aircraft type for this case , KE seems quite exciting . Flying both 772 and 773 in the same trip definately attracts me . I will go for that.
Airliners is the wings of my life.

checkraiser

Wed Jun 15, 2005 2:00 pm

SQ and TG aren't options - cost more than NW and I have to get to LAX somehow to catch them. Guess it's between NW and KE. I've never been on a 777 yet and I'd like to give it a shot. However, there's still the pisser of driving to ORD - which is obviously something I'll have to sort out.

Two more questions for those of you in the know

1. There was a thread here about month ago claiming that seats on Asian airliners are smaller due to the typical Asian just being a smaller person. Is this true? Also, DL's website said I'll need a visa for the connection at ICN. Is this true - I thought the US was the only country requiring a transit visa.

2. Has NW upgraded all of their 744s to have PTV's yet? They really do help the trip go by a little faster.
N1120A is a camel-fucking terrorist.

hawaijahaz

Wed Jun 15, 2005 2:29 pm

Quoting Checkraiser (Reply 5):
2. Has NW upgraded all of their 744s to have PTV's yet? They really do help the trip go by a little faster.

NW 744s do not have PTV in Y. They are quite comfortable though. I recently flew a NW 744 from JFK to NRT and was seated in the back where there are only 2 seats (63H). It was not a bad flight. However you can't really see the movie from that seat.

RDUDDJI

Wed Jun 15, 2005 2:44 pm

How bout some PG (Bangkok Air) love baby! You could fly to SIN or HKG then fly PG SIN-USM-BKK  Smile

Of course if it were me, I wouldn't make it past USM...  Smile
Sometimes we don't realize the good times when we're in them

KC135R

Wed Jun 15, 2005 2:47 pm

I flew JL to BKK in February, didn't like that I didn't get any miles, but it was significantly cheaper for me (about $300 round trip). At any rate, a friend traveling on the same trip flew NW, so I got all the details. NW from the west coast was 2 A332 flights - new airplane was, apparently, quite nice. Power ports for laptop, etc. However, another friend flew NW from ORD and she got stuck on a B742 to Tokyo (then A332 to BKK) - she said it was pretty ancient. I haven't been on a NW 742 since late 90's, but there's not PTV, etc even now so it's probably kind of boring. Meanwhile I flew down to SFO on AS then to Tokyo and on to BKK on JL - 744 and 743, both 744 on the way back. Their IFE in coach isn't bad and the service was fantastic. I got one American style meal and one Asian style, the NW flights going that direction do the same from what I am told. All in all, it sounds like (talking to the other 2 people) I had better service, but they had some better perks on NW with the newer A332. BTW, I found coach in JL 744 to be quite cramped, of course you get what you pay for but it seemed more cramped than many US domestic coach layouts, and it was FULL both ways to/from Tokyo. To/from BKK not as full, so not too bad. Hope that helps?????

Oh, one more thing, JL doesn't allow you to buy online direct through them, it's through travelocity or something. As a result I couldn't pick seats ahead of time or check in online. So the day I flew out, my AS flight got to SFO only about 1-2 hours prior to JL departure, so I was like the last person to check in and could only get a middle seat on the outside aisle. Point is, there isn't much flexibility in picking seats, etc due to how the ticketing is handled so bear that in mind with them.

sllevin

Wed Jun 15, 2005 2:49 pm

Just check on the KE fare; there are some coach fares that accrue limited or no miles in some programs.

Steve

Ex_SQer

Wed Jun 15, 2005 3:36 pm

Quoting Hawaijahaz (Reply 3):
don't think that you can accrue SkyMiles on SQ. SQ is part of Star Alliance.

You can accrue SkyMiles on SQ. It's a holdover arrangement from the ill-fated Global Excellence Alliance

AeroWesty

Wed Jun 15, 2005 4:09 pm

Quoting Ex_SQer (Reply 10):
You can accrue SkyMiles on SQ

Correct, with two provisos.

1) "No mileage credit for all Economy Class flights if the ticket contains a flight booked in G, N, Q, R, or V class."

http://www.delta.com/skymiles/getmiles/airline_partners/index.jsp

2) You don't earn MQM's for Medallion status on Singapore flights credited to Delta SkyMiles.

http://delta.com/skymiles/about/bene..._glance/mqm_calculations/index.jsp

Korean also has some fare classes that don't qualify for miles and MQM's, but all the info you need on mileage earning and qualifying fares will be in one of the two links above.

Personally, I would choose Korean to transfer at ICN rather than NRT, just to see the new terminal and fly the 777's.

Cheers.
International Homo of Mystery

geoffm

Thu Jun 16, 2005 9:07 pm

Quoting Checkraiser (Reply 5):
Is this true - I thought the US was the only country requiring a transit visa.

No, the UK, Singapore, Russia, Australia etc amongst others need transit visas in various forms.

Geoff M.

Speedbird2155

Thu Jun 16, 2005 9:45 pm

Quoting Geoffm (Reply 12):
No, the UK, Singapore, Russia, Australia etc amongst others need transit visas in various forms

In the UK you don't go through immigration if you are in-transit and as such you would not need a transit visa. There might however be a few nationalities that would require a visa if they are transferring between say LGW and LHR or their connection is such that they would be required to clear immigration and then check-in for the connection.

I've come across many people who are in-transit without visas and it simply meant that they could not leave the airside areas of the airport....even if they arrived in the morning, but wasn't leaving until late that night.

TUNisia

Fri Jun 17, 2005 1:23 am

What about taking LX (Swiss) from ORD-ZRH-BKK? At least you'll be getting great food and service.... and the IFE is truly the best (or almost the best out there).
Someday the sun will shine down on me in some faraway place - Mahalia Jackson

geoffm

Fri Jun 17, 2005 2:33 am

Quoting Speedbird2155 (Reply 13):
In the UK you don't go through immigration if you are in-transit and as such you would not need a transit visa.

A Direct Airside Transit Visa is required by certain nationalities, even if they do not clear customs and thus remain airside. See http://www.immihelp.com/visas/nonustransit.html (amongst other sites) for more information.

I was being deliberately non-specific in my answer as there are tons of differing conditions and forms of visas for the various countries, hence the "in various forms" comment.

Geoff M.

airbus3801

Fri Jun 17, 2005 12:22 pm

I would take MSP-EWR-SIN-BKK and the SIN-BKK route you could always do on a LCC of Asia and try it out, I am just thinking of Asia LCC's and I am thinking of Kingfisher (is that an LCC), you could take THai if the fare is low, and like Silk Air and Tiger. But, if you just booked all the way through with Singapore, you couldn't go wrong with the service and miles.

Lufthansa747

Mon Jun 20, 2005 6:43 am

Quoting Airbus3801 (Reply 16):
Kingfisher (is that an LCC)

That's Indian. And hasn't started operations.

Quoting Airbus3801 (Reply 16):
Silk Air

MI is not a LCC and doesn't fly to BKK.
Air Asia Super Elite, Cebu Pacific Titanium