ricardofg

Easiest Transfer Hub In The World...

Sat Jul 16, 2005 3:06 am

I flew to FCO last week via AMS and having made many transfers in my life I found that AMS is the easiest airport for transfers...would you all agree? if not where...start it up  Smile

Rgds,
RicYYZ

Boeing7E7

RE: Easiest Transfer Hub In The World...

Sat Jul 16, 2005 3:10 am

Gotta say the new Detroit NWA facility was a pretty damn smooth transfer. Four A-330-300 flights came in at the same time and we were on our way in less than 20 minutes, but that was more of a TSA problem than anything. Customs took about 30 seconds. AMS wasn't too bad either on the other end. Much larger scale than DTW. Better view on landing...Sun was just coming up.

N1120A

Sat Jul 16, 2005 3:13 am

Supposedly it is MUC, though when I was there last week, I had 2 bus transfers. LH does have a MCT of something ridiculous like 25 minutes there.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

UN_B732

Sat Jul 16, 2005 3:15 am

Prague is really easy though. It's so small, everything under one roof I presume, just walk from one gate to the other. However, once my mum flew into MUC on gate 27, and then left MUC at gate 24 (or something similar)  Smile
-mr. X
What now?

OzarkD9S

Sat Jul 16, 2005 3:16 am

MKE?

All the YX gates are in one concourse, the airport is uncongested.

Of course there aren't any intercontinental flights.
Coast to Coast and Border to Border, Ozark Flies YOUR Way!

dtwclipper

Sat Jul 16, 2005 3:16 am

Quoting Boeing7E7 (Reply 1):
Gotta say the new Detroit NWA facility was a pretty damn smooth transfer. Four A-330-300 flights came in at the same time and we were on our way in less than 20 minutes, but that was more of a TSA problem than anything. Customs took about 30 seconds. AMS wasn't too bad either on the other end. Much larger scale than DTW. Better view on landing...Sun was just coming up.

I have to say DTW.

I don't like AMS at all. Long walks, old style piers, and the Lounges are just a pain to get to.

CDG, the worst.

ORD, well if you are AA to AA or UA to UA it's ok, unless you are International to Domestic.
Compare New York Air, the Airline that works for your Business

RL757PVD

Sat Jul 16, 2005 3:17 am

Ive never had any problem with CVG or SLC, CVG esp if its mianline to mainline, 90% are in the nice concourse B with good shops/food selections and a short walk. In terms of sheer volume, on a good day ATL is good, on a bad day...forget it.

CVG gets my vote for best

EWR gets my vote for worst ( technically I never "connected" there since it was so bad I had to take Amtrak to PVD for my 2nd segment!)
Experience is what you get when what you thought would work out didn't!

vt977

Sat Jul 16, 2005 3:18 am

personally I like Singapore Changi......Worst exp JFK
A conclusion is what you reach when you get tired of thinking.

Indy

Sat Jul 16, 2005 3:19 am

I would cheat and say NW with its operation in IND since it has 8 gates in one small concourse but I know you mean a real hub right? DTW has to be the easiest in my opinion. At least when you are dealing with fortress hubs.
Indy = Indianapolis and not Independence Air

GuyBetsy1

Sat Jul 16, 2005 3:20 am

US domestic flights are not included!

For a major international airport, I'd say my vote goes to VIE. 20 minutes is all they need! But with new EU borders and passport control, that can cause a few nervous moments as you queue while transferring for an international flight!

My vote overall goes to SIN. Easy transfer. Take-a-number, have a seat, while you wait to check-in at transfer desks. Very comfy. Nice staff.

Beany

Sat Jul 16, 2005 3:21 am

I find Singapore unrivaled. IMHO, its by far the best airport on this planet for transfers. Also, not many airports can boast a swimming pool on the roof  Smile

I must admit though, I was pleasantly surprised when I transferred through EWR terminal C on Monday night on my way from LAX to LGW. CO have a good facility going on there. Big thumbs up from me.

airbazar

Sat Jul 16, 2005 3:27 am

MUC, if you're flying on Star Aliance carriers. No doubt about it.
SIN is also great, especialy if your layover is sort of long but the walking can still be long at Changi. In fact, for a long layover, SIN is far better that just about any other airport I've been to.
AMS comes a close third to the above too.

birdbrainz

Sat Jul 16, 2005 3:31 am

I disagree about JFK, but I'm sure it all depends on which connection. The DL to SAA (SFO-JFK-JNB) connection in JFK couldn't be easier. It was about a 500 ft walk with no re-screening. However, ATL is just too damn big, period.

I thought AA did a very good job making SJC-LAX-LHR work well both ways. The American Eagle bus ride was a bit of a pain, though.

UA's terminals at ORD are good, with a good connection there just depending on the weather.

For Europe, I agree about AMS being very good, although CPH is also good.

Like everything else in Singapore, SIN works very well.

I'm amazed LHR works at all. That place blows my mind.
A good landing is one you can walk away from. A great landing is if the aircraft can be flown again.

KLM685

Sat Jul 16, 2005 3:33 am

I agree AMS is the way to go!

I have been for transfer at MAD, GRU, ATL, etc... and found none of them as easy as AMS.
KLM- The Best Airline in the World!

cayman

Sat Jul 16, 2005 3:35 am

I found ICN pretty impressive--both for ease of transfer and superb facilities available inside.

Newark777

Sat Jul 16, 2005 3:39 am

EWR gets my vote for worst ( technically I never "connected" there since it was so bad I had to take Amtrak to PVD for my 2nd segment!)

You obviously don't travel through EWR much. It is not the best, but it is certainly better than many.

Harry
Why grab a Heine when you can grab a Busch?

Indy

Sat Jul 16, 2005 3:40 am

AMS is fine if you don't mind riding a bike or driving from end to end  Smile

It really isn't bad just a long hike at times. I do like their security. At least when you depart from AMS you feel safe. That is my opinion anyway.

sk601

Sat Jul 16, 2005 3:44 am

I think AMS is a bit overrated and gets too much credit. As Dtwclipper wrote, the walking distances are outrageous, waiting times at security checkpoints and immigration are way tooooooooo long, not enough seats in the gates, bad climate control, gates are too small, the odd way of boarding: ground staff forces you into a small crowded area with no facilities and then they let you (and the 100 other pax) in the jetway; totally disorganized. And did I mention the loud announcements every minute or so? No way to relax!

I like DTW (bright, spacious, train!), MSP, MEM (yes I fly NW quit often) and ATL in USA, dislike DFW, ORD, JFK, SFO, SEA.
In Europe ZRH, GVA and MUC are my favorites, not so keen about CDG, NCE, VCE and LHR

vivek0072

Sat Jul 16, 2005 3:47 am

I found SIN the best ,JFK was one of the worst I visited I don't know about BOM as being a hub , thought the facilities are really pathetic its surprisingly quick, Incheon at Seoul was good too but I feel they can improve a lot. There were a lot of queues when I flew thru Incheon.
That life's most failures were people who did not realise how close they were to success when they gave up. - Edison.

CDNpax

Sat Jul 16, 2005 3:55 am

I love SIN and even HKG (long walks but a beatiful facility from which to admire the tarmac.) Worst is YYZ if you are coming off an international flight as you have to get a bus from the infield terminal, then clear customs and then connect. Extremely maddening after a really long flight!!

dtwclipper

Sat Jul 16, 2005 3:59 am

Quoting SK601 (Reply 17):
I think AMS is a bit overrated and gets too much credit. As Dtwclipper wrote, the walking distances are outrageous, waiting times at security checkpoints and immigration are way tooooooooo long, not enough seats in the gates, bad climate control, gates are too small, the odd way of boarding: ground staff forces you into a small crowded area with no facilities and then they let you (and the 100 other pax) in the jetway; totally disorganized. And did I mention the loud announcements every minute or so? No way to relax!

The one thing I just love about AMS is the voice on the moving sidewalks....

"Mind your step!" I wish she would come to DTW!!!!

ricardofg

Sat Jul 16, 2005 4:06 am

Quoting CDNpax (Reply 19):
Worst is YYZ if you are coming off an international flight as you have to get a bus from the infield terminal, then clear customs and then connect. Extremely maddening after a really long flight!!

Dont forget having to pick up your baggage and put it on a transfer belt! I work at YYZ but it sucks for transfers!

konrad

Sat Jul 16, 2005 4:11 am

MUC in Europe
CVG in the States

Blackhawk144

Sat Jul 16, 2005 4:12 am

Well, if you call BOI a QX connecting hub...then I would easily venture to say BOI is definately the easiest, as no matter which you're going on, you're always going to practically be there (even though QX uses 12 gates, I believe, in a ground loading concourse).

Anthony
Time is the best of all teachers. Unfortunately, it kills all of its students!

PA006

Sat Jul 16, 2005 4:12 am

Keflavik is a breeze, despite the need to go through passport control transfering between US and Europe.

gilesdavies

Sat Jul 16, 2005 4:13 am

Charlotte and Bahrain are two of favorite and easiest transfer hubs.

BAH
Walk off the aircraft via the airbridge, passport control is directly in front of you and instead of going through it you turn right up an escalator and you are in the departure lounge for your onwards connection.

I was in Duty Free shop in the Departure Lounge within 7mins of getting off the aircraft!

CLT
Offers a great number of domestic connections within the US and onwards to Europe and so easy to get around. Never seems to have a crowded feel.

Like any major hub you have to walk some distance but takes no more than 10mins to walk from one gate the other. If you are connecting from a domestic to an international flight very straight forward.

Passport Control rarely has long queues and can usually clear immigrations within 15mins of arriving on a flight from LGW and usually at the bording gate of my connecting domestic flight within 30mins.

Glareskin

Sat Jul 16, 2005 4:14 am

Quoting GuyBetsy1 (Reply 9):
For a major international airport, I'd say my vote goes to VIE

How can you say this? This is the worst transfer airport I know of. Especially if you have to transfer to the non-Schengen pier (the round one). Terrible, there are about 7 big aircrafts being boarded and security checked in this small circle. Total chaos if you ask me.

I think AMS is a bit overrated and gets too much credit.

I could not agree more!

Quoting Dtwclipper (Reply 20):
The one thing I just love about AMS is the voice on the moving sidewalks...."Mind your step!"

That is so annoying!  banghead 

Good connections IMO: ATL, ORD, IAD, FRA and I have to agree MUC (but I hate the busses)
There's still a long way to go before all the alliances deserve a star...

geoffm

Sat Jul 16, 2005 4:15 am

Singapore has got to be best, though I've only ever arrived there, not transitted. DXB has not been mentioned and I would suggest that is the best in the Middle East. One long terminal for international flights, great lounges, shopping etc.

Geoff M.

dtwclipper

Sat Jul 16, 2005 4:18 am

Quoting Glareskin (Reply 26):
The one thing I just love about AMS is the voice on the moving sidewalks...."Mind your step!"

That is so annoying!

I know, I know...but that's how I know I'm in AMS! LOL!

GQfluffy

Sat Jul 16, 2005 4:41 am

Quoting RL757PVD (Reply 6):

CVG gets my vote for best

Evil. That's what CVG is. EVERY SINGLE FREAKIN TIME I FLY THRU THERE. Something happens. Generally it's the fact that flights are always late either arriving or departing out of there, and they put you in the farthest gate from your cnx flight, and the the HELL is that little dinky concourse doing WAAAAAY out in the middle of no where!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Some one take a small nuclear device and remove that THING from the earth, and start over fresh.

GOD I HATE THAT AIRPORT!!!!

I think I hate CVG even more the ORD.

Ok, rant over, g'day Big grin

fluffy
This isn't where I parked my car...

stlgph

Sat Jul 16, 2005 4:49 am

Quoting Newark777 (Reply 15):
You obviously don't travel through EWR much

how often do you connect there?

DTW
CVG
CLT
ORD
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

wingedarrow

Sat Jul 16, 2005 4:56 am

As for EU, I think that FCO too, mentioned at the outset, offers a quite simple transfer system. Three close terminals, clear and easy to understand signs, many security check points to avoid long lines, there's no need to make long walks... Pretty good!
אליטליה

SA7700

Sat Jul 16, 2005 5:11 am

ATL is a breeze and ORD is marvelous. Why do people whine about connecting at JFK? I connected from my SA-flight at T3 to UA mainline at T7 with no problems whatsoever - the Airtrain makes it as easy as pie.

Rgds

SA7700
When you are doing stuff that nobody has done before, there is no manual – Kevin McCloud (Grand Designs)

neednewairport

Sat Jul 16, 2005 5:12 am

I always have enjoyed transfering in PIT. No stupid train to get on. Wide concorses and a great, reasonably priced mall and resturants.

kdeg00

Sat Jul 16, 2005 5:18 am

I'm surprised CPH doesn't get some votes. Sometimes a bit of a walk, but great lounges, signage, food, etc. I've made connections there even at widely spaced gates in less than 20 minutes.

I think that SIN is a great airport, but I've never been a transit passenger so can't vote on the connections. FRA for me has always been a place to get some exercise running from one end, up and down stairs, not really my favorite transfer spot.

Indy

Sat Jul 16, 2005 6:02 am

Quoting SA7700 (Reply 32):
ORD is marvelous

I flew AA from FRA to ORD and connected in ORD to IND. I was exhausted by the time I got to my gate for the domestic departure. International connections in ORD are hell in my opinion. It is a mad house and a very long hike from the international arrivals to the domestic departure. Airports like ORD can't compete with the likes of DTW when it comes to international arrivals/connections. ATL wasn't too bad. My judgement may have been clouded a bit in ATL because of a very fine looking customs agent  Smile.

Crosswind

Sat Jul 16, 2005 6:07 am

Has to be Zurich... Great airport (always has been) and a very efficient setup. Because gate allocation is so logical you know exactly what direction to head in even before you've consulted the screens.

Regards
CROSSWIND

BOSPMV

Sat Jul 16, 2005 6:10 am

MSP and CVG get my vote, I had no problems at all, at CVG, most flights are in the main concourse, wicked nice terminal, msp, everything is in the same buolding,a great place.

worst, ATL.

hjulicher

Sat Jul 16, 2005 8:55 am

Can't really say anything about DTW, never have had to make a transfer, it's always my originating or final destination, but, I have had weird things happen in DTW that might annoy other passenger. After arriving back from AMS, the airport started unloading our baggage on two carrousels at once. Now if you don't know which carrousel your baggage is going to come off of, and you are flying yourself, how do you choose which carrousel to minitor? However, DTW is really nice in terms of layout, and food options, and it's not necessary to ride the train to get to your gate. There is so much to choose from, and the airport is bright, tall and a marvel in motion. My only concern is whether it is big enough, especially if NW adds a lot of Int'l flights. I wonder what the new north DTW terminal will look like?

CVG was okay, I guess terminal B was nice, but it seemed to kitch, and built to quickly. It's efficient and new, but not really interesting, and doesn't set it apart. I did not like taking the bus transfer from terminal C to B at CVG... Delta Connection/Comair.

Denver comes to mind as nice airport to transfer at, also nice and airy, and simple design. Flying UA, no need really to change terminals unless flying TED. I just hate the music and voice on the train.

BCN in a very nice, airport, sort of small, but very aesthetic, and quick. Like that airport alot. Nice busses too.

AMS I've always liked, but when it's one's first point of entry into europe, that may also have influenced me. Internet connections (after Russia 5 years ago, I missed the internet). Don't mind the walk so much, I get to watch the aircraft activity on the tarmac. Flew once through AMS when 14. I was greeted at the gate by a KLM lady who took me to kiddy play lounge that kept feeding everyone loads of candy. Great SEE BUY FLY stores. Always continuing to renovate the terminal. Showers in the bathroom for passengers flying really long distances. Quick passport control. Friendly staff everywhere, and lots of plants. Adds life and vivacity to the airport.

MUC was okay, not all that I thought it would be. Haven't been in the newer terminal though as old terminal wasn't prepared for schengen countries. One has to walk through turnisle by where customs was, to get to baggage claim, which is on the same floor as departing passengers. A different concept. Also runways are good, but if your plane can't stop in time for the runoff taxiway that takes you to the terminal, taxiing can take upwards of 20 minutes, even with so little traffic.

SVO is getting so much better, and apparently according to Aeroflot, terminal 3 will be completed by fall of 2007. Seems a little premature, but we'll see. Apparently also according to Aeroflot, SVO is the biggest airport in the world, serving 12.8 BILLION passengers yearly. (Just a small typo there  bitelip  )..

Go to http://nyc.aeroflot.aero/eng/news.asp?ob_no=250&d_no=4100
LH 442

globetrekker

Sat Jul 16, 2005 9:40 am

I have to go with AMS! Most definitely! The signs are clear, the info screens as well and of course easy to find transfer desks.

As Dtwclipper wrote, the walking distances are outrageous, waiting times at security checkpoints and immigration are way tooooooooo long

That's why I use the moving sidewalks.... cuts down on the time. But I hate to arrive at the G-pier.  Sad

the odd way of boarding: ground staff forces you into a small crowded area with no facilities and then they let you (and the 100 other pax) in the jetway; totally disorganized.

I think this is a left over, from the days when each gate had individual security control. You would go through secutity at the gate, the staff "boards" you on the flight via the system and then you are in what you call the "clean area". So before you actually start the boarding process, you would know how much pax are missing..... however AMS now has a centralized security post, right after passport control, so this system is no longer used.

And did I mention the loud announcements every minute or so? No way to relax!

Yes this I agree with... the constant not-smoking announcement, the gate changes and not to mention the one "you are delaying the flight and we will proceed to offload your luggage". What's up with that weird British accent? I know they use a computer generated voice to make announcements. RTM, GRQ and EIN also use this system. At AUA, which is co-managed by the Schiphol Group, they are also implementing this loud system.

The one thing I just love about AMS is the voice on the moving sidewalks....

"Mind your step!" I wish she would come to DTW!!!!

LOL! Gotta love that one!

Globe Trekker
The World Is A Book And Those Who Do Not Travel Read Only A Page

mats

Sat Jul 16, 2005 10:06 am

The winner--by a long shot--is HELSINKI VANTAA.
It is definitely the best transfer airport in Europe. I love Helsinki. It's a gleaming terminal with nice shops. There is no need to clear security as a transfer passenger, so it's just a quick walk from one gate to another.

N766UA

Sat Jul 16, 2005 10:08 am

PIT and CLE are pretty painless.
This Website Censors Me

Delta767300ER

Sat Jul 16, 2005 10:57 am

From experience ATL, CVG, and DFW, and EWR have been really good for me. IAH and LAX have been a bit harder but no major problems.

-Delta767300ER

Cubsrule

Sat Jul 16, 2005 12:33 pm

Quoting Hjulicher (Reply 38):
After arriving back from AMS, the airport started unloading our baggage on two carrousels at once.

ATL has this problem as well... better hope neither ATL nor DTW ever sees the 380... ATL would put it on 5 carousels!!

In the KEF vein, how about PTY? I've never been there, but I've heard nice things.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

WDBRR

Sat Jul 16, 2005 12:51 pm

I imagine Airtran in ATL, they are mostly in ONE concourse.

ANCFlyer

Sat Jul 16, 2005 2:27 pm

CLT is a breeze . . . . every gate is accessible after clearing the TSA Nazi's security gauntlet. Clean, bright, airy terminal!

PIT is a breeze - rather was a breeze before it was de-hubbed. Awesome terminal to get around in . . .

PHX Terminal 4 is easy - if not spread out a bit . . . easy none the less.

ATL is simply too large to make it comfortable. The trains make it better, but not good enough.

ORD is a clusterf*#&k

PHL - 'nuf said.

JFK -  crying 

MSP - Spread out like cow shit in a pasture - takes toooo long to go anywhere.  grumpy 

SFO -  yuck 

LAX -  yuck 

DTW - Not bad at all with the new terminal . . .
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

1MillionFlyer

Sat Jul 16, 2005 2:33 pm

Quoting Dtwclipper (Reply 28):
Quoting Glareskin (Reply 26):

That is so annoying!

I love that announcement. I used to live there and flew in and out 2-3 times a week for a while.

"Let Op aufstep, mind your step!" I smile every time I hear it. Of course "Mind the Gap" is better  Smile
Golf Foxtrot you are cleared for departure

rushed

Sat Jul 16, 2005 5:33 pm

Melbourne, Australia would have to be a pretty easy transfer airport due to its single terminal building housing all three terminals. International (T2) is in between terminals 1 (qantas) and 3 (virgin, rex) which are all within easy walkng distance.
travel blogging enthusiast :)

Matt27

Sat Jul 16, 2005 7:44 pm

Personally I think Singapore and Amsterdam are very good and easy transfer hubs.

//Mattias
Man ska inte dricka rödvin i en vit hall.

777klm

Sat Jul 16, 2005 9:16 pm

I can't talk about the transfer services in AMS, I've never had a transfer flight from AMS. In my opinion CPH, SIN, SYD (international to domestic) an MEL (I agree with 'Rushed') are the best.
In a week I'm flying on United from AMS-IAD-LAX, how is IAD doing as a transfer airport?!

Quoting 1MillionFlyer (Reply 46):
"Let Op aufstep"

Haha, you've made a mix between Dutch and German! The voice says Let op het afstapje! But nice try!
Next flight: AMS - TLV - AMS