bigphilnyc

Good Airline Credit Cards

Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:14 am

I'm not sure if there is any difference, but does anyone know much about which airline credit cards are good?

I assume some give more miles and some have less/don't have yearly fees and so forth.

Anyone have any clue? I'm interested in crossing over.

-Phil
Phil Derner Jr.

luv2fly

RE: Good Airline Credit Cards

Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:28 am

Presently I use Citibank AA card, happy so far with it.
You can cut the irony with a knife

goboeing

Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:40 am

My aunt and uncle have a BA one, not sure if it works with AA or the other OneWorld participants but it works out that they get a mile for every dollar they spend. Seems like a pretty good deal if you just pay off the monthly debt on time and all the way down each time. $1000 spent on whatever major purchase gives a thousand miles.

Nick

hawk44

Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:45 am

I have the AA citi card and just got the delta skymiles card. I will probably end up canceling the AA card because AA's schedule does not work with mine but Delta's does. Plus DL is larger at my home airport.

Whatever card you get make sure the airline has a good operation at your home airport, for example if you live near PHL get the US card but if you live near DTW instead get the NW card.

Hawk44
Never under estimate the power of US

FLY2LIM

Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:49 am

Quoting Luv2fly (Reply 1):
Presently I use Citibank AA card, happy so far with it.

Ditto on that one. Mine costs 50 dollars a year. The secret is NOT to get a gold or platinum. There is absolutely no difference (you should see my credit line) except that they charge you a higher fee to have a different color. We charge many bills to it each month (cell phone, long distance, etc. automatically withdrawn) and every "major" purchase goes through the credit card. You get a mile per dollar and it goes right into your account. It adds up very quickly!!!!!! I then pay it online through my bank's website.
I know many people who have a UA credit card and are happy with it. It probably works the same way as AA's. The reason why we chose AA is because we use that airline to FLY2LIM so it was an easy choice for us.
FLY2LIM
Faucett. La primera linea aerea del Peru.

roseflyer

Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:50 am

I have a College Plus Visa with United and it is an ok one, but only gives half a mile per dollar. Every airline has a lot of different cards. Usually for the ones that offer one or two miles per dollar spent, you pay a fee which can be significant so those are for big spenders with good credit. Often you can get free ones without the fee, but they don't offer as many miles. I would research which airline you use, and give their options a look. I would stick to one though that is through Visa or Mastercard. Delta only has American Express, and you have to pay a fee which is not as good.

Another option is to go with Capital One or AMEX that gives you points redeemable on any airline. Often these cards aren't as good as a specific airline's card, but they do allow for more freedom.

Another good idea is pay for big expense items with your credit card and then pay off the bill as soon as you get it. My entire college tuition goes on a United Visa Signature Card which nets my family 30,000 miles per year, which is good enough for a free flight home for Christmas.

[Edited 2005-07-20 04:52:32]
If you have never designed an airplane part before, let the real designers do the work!

sampa737

Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:50 am

I use the DL Skymiles AmEx. Double points. I charge everything and pay it off each month. I've earned thousands of points costing me nothing. However, you do have the yearly fee. If the platinum, you're awarded a free companion ticket each year.

ACDC8

Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:55 am

I've got a Visa Avion Platinum. I can use it for any airline, anytime. It's the only one my bank offers other then a BA card, and I like to stick with only what my bank offers me. I also got an application for the Bank of America AS Platinum Visa yesterday , but I already threw it out.
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

tymnbalewne

Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:55 am

I remember the days when the airlines themselves offered their own credit cards. I used to have (and well, still have the plastic) the TWA "Getaway Card", the Pan Am "Clipper Card" and the Eastern "Wings" credit card.

Do any airlines still offer their own credit card or are they all affinity cards through Visa/Mastercard/Amex?

C.
Dewmanair...begins with Dew

ScottB

Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:00 pm

Delta has a no-fee version of the SkyMiles AmEx -- the "SkyMiles Options" card. Like most of the other no-fee cards, it only awards half-points when compared to the versions with a fee, and the welcome bonus is modest at 1000 miles. The Options card isn't heavily promoted but you can probably find the web application form if you Google "SkyMiles Options."

The annual free companion ticket on the SkyMiles Platinum card is an excellent deal if you have a need for it.

UAalltheway

Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:12 pm

My mom has UA.. dad used to have UA- but now has an Orbitz card.

Do any of these credit cards reward you with [airline] miles that are "elite status qualifying"???

HKGKaiTak

Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:18 pm

Here in Oz I use Commonwealth Bank's Gold Visa, which you can redeem points for QF Frequent Flyer points. Used to be 1:1 but now 1 reward point only earns 0.75 QF FF points.

I'm not a member of QF FF and I think CC reward points are useless anyway. (I use this card only because in reality it costs nothing)
4 Engines 4 LongHaul

skyone

Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:20 pm

For me, the ones that work!!!!!!
Go to HSBC here in Mexico and get the HSBC Visa Delta Sky Miles that gets you 1 mile per every $10 pesos ($1 US Dollar) you spent and has NO annual fee plus gives you 5000 Delta Sky Miles when you make your first purshase. And also get the Banorte Visa Classic that charges an annual fee of $390 pesos ($40 US Dollars) but gets you 1 Mexicana Mile per every $5 pesos spent ($0.5 US Dollars) that beats every card in the United States (Correct me if I am wrong). Well, Mexico has some rarities in its banking system.

avek00

Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:38 pm

No question on this one - the Delta SkyMiles Gold card by American Express - right now offering 15,000 SkyMiles for signing up + first year fee-free.
Live life to the fullest.

Xkorpyoh

Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:52 pm

Quoting Hawk44 (Reply 3):
I have the AA citi card and just got the delta skymiles card. I will probably end up canceling the AA card because AA's schedule does not work with mine but Delta's does. Plus DL is larger at my home airport.

Quoting FLY2LIM (Reply 4):
The secret is NOT to get a gold or platinum. There is absolutely no difference (you should see my credit line) except that they charge you a higher fee to have a different color.

Dont cancel the AA citicard!!.. I was going to do the same but found out the real secret. there is another card, not advertized, called AA Bronze Citi card with NO ANNUAL FEE!!.. same thing.. u earn miles but u dont get extra perks like free car rental insurance. Just ask them to switch it for you. you still get 1 mile for every dollar. the thing is that amex is not accepted everywhere so is good to have a backup visa or master card'

coiahtx

Wed Jul 20, 2005 9:53 pm

Don't like DL AMEX, they aren't accepted in enough places, gotta go with US Bank NW Worlperks

pmg1704

Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:06 pm

I strongly advise against the DL Platinum. The "Free Companion Ticket" requires you to purchase the first ticket at a minimum price. The prices are ridiculous in today's market and the availability is even worse. DL's frequent flier mile availability is pathetic.

I wrote to customer service about the "Free" ticket and never heard back. That pissed me off. I switched to their "classic" card since I fly on DL and Continental a lot. Only benefit I miss is the end of the year summary. Oh well, Quicken will have to do...

My bro works for Capital One, his recomendation was never to use a credit card you have to pay a fee for. The only one he has is the Amex cash back card.

Zoheb

Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:18 pm

I just signed up for a British Airways Premium Plus Card from American Express, However In an exclusive offer for Virgin Flying Club members, you can apply for an American Express® Gold Charge Card and earn a whopping 20,000 bonus Flying Club miles when you’ve made your first purchase.

For an annual fee of £95 the American Express Gold Charge Card entitles you to complimentary enrolment into the American Express Membership Rewards® programme. This allows you to earn one point for virtually every £1 you spend using the Card.You can then convert the Membership Reward points into Flying Club miles at a rate of 1 Membership Rewards point for 1 Flying Club mile.

To help get you started, once your American Express Gold Card is approved and you make your first purchase by 31 October 2005, you’ll be awarded a bonus of 20,000 Flying Club miles.

Think about it, an American Express Gold Card in your wallet, and 20,000 Flying Club miles in your account. You could use those miles to upgrade your next Economy flight to Premium Economy, for example. .

To qualify for the bonus miles, take out the Gold Card by 31 August 2005 and spend on the Card by 31 October 2005.

Call 0800 085 7766 to apply, quoting reference number L51291KE99.

mirrodie

Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:26 pm

I have two AA cards and rack up all housing puchases on it, plus I use it to pay for anything from gas to underwear.

If the annual fee puts you off, definitely go with the AA bronze version.
just pay the card off once a billing period and you're on your way.

Remember we were talking the other night about new camera toys?

think of the miles you'll get just by buying lenses and new camera equipment? You get ONE mile per Dollar charged.

Smile

Mario
Forum moderator 2001-2010; He's a pedantic, pontificating, pretentious bastard, a belligerent old fart, a worthless st

FlyPIJets

Thu Jul 21, 2005 12:13 am

Quoting TymnBalewne (Reply 8):
Do any airlines still offer their own credit card or are they all affinity cards through Visa/Mastercard/Amex?

According to the AA website, they do.

AA credit card Info .

No reason for them not to offer them. I can understand way they wouldn't be very popular, but still, no reason not to offer.
Rex Kramer: Get that finger out of your ear! You don't know where that finger's been!

fbgdavidson

Thu Jul 21, 2005 2:55 am

I've got a couple of airline cards.

BA Amex Premium Plus - Earns 1.5miles with every £1 spent (3miles per £ with BA) and after £15k of spend I get a voucher that means when I redeem for one award ticket I get an identical one for free. That is an awesome benefit, the only catch is one voucher per year  Sad I've had this for over 2yrs now and have earned about 150,000 BA miles with it, charged everything from cars, to parents holidays, to bottles of Lucozade....it all adds up!

bmi Platinum Mastercard - Earns 1.5 Diamond Club miles per £, came with a 20,000 sign up bonus which was a winner. I use this as a back up for the rare occassions that Amex isn't accepted or I feel like saving up for an award on Star Alliance! Had this card about 5months now and attained close to 40,000 miles on it. I can't see any difference between the bmi Platinum and Blue apart from they give you Platinum if you have good rating...

Quoting UAalltheway (Reply 10):
Do any of these credit cards reward you with [airline] miles that are "elite status qualifying"???

Of sorts, Miles earned from any source in AAdvantage count towards lifetime status, 1MM for Gold and 2MM for Platinum (no Lifetime EXP)
"My first job was selling doors, door to door, that's a tough job innit" - Bill Bailey

UAalltheway

Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:33 am

In a few years THIS will be in my pocket:

http://www.firstusa.com/cgi-bin/webc...d_college_plus&page=cont&mkid=6LPR

No annual fee... low APR.. and NO ANNUAL FEE!!! lol

Currently I just have a Wachovia Visa.. No Annual fee.. but the fees really kill 'ya and can build up quickly if you don't stay on top of things. Like $1 to check your acct. balance at an ATM... $2 for a withdrawl at an ATM.. that kinda crap. I'm starting to use my Bank of America Visa Debit card a little more- with Advantage Checking all fees are waved.  Smile  Smile  Smile

PITA333

Thu Jul 21, 2005 9:17 am

The US Airways Signature Visa Card is what my father has, and he loves it.

http://www.usairwaysvisa.com/ip-boa-usav/?adlink=0000020059943917a466

LipeGIG

Thu Jul 21, 2005 9:31 am

Some credit cards like JJ Program give you more points every year when you celebrate more one year of membership. For International Card you receive 3,000 points (for a USD 60/year) , Gold 4,000 (for USD 80/year) and for Platinum 5,000 points (for USD 100/year).

Also you receive 1,33 point for USD 1

Felipe
New York + Rio de Janeiro = One of the best combinations !

UAalltheway

Thu Jul 21, 2005 10:24 am

Quoting PITA333 (Reply 22):
The US Airways Signature Visa Card is what my father has, and he loves it.

I have the option of getting the US airways Debit card:

http://www.usairwaysvisa.com/ip-boa-usav/html/checkcard.htm

-- but I really don't think it's worth it. Getting one mile for every two dollars (1:2), and a $30 annual fee (i'm pretty cheap), I don't really think it would ever amount to anything.

denplanenut

Thu Jul 21, 2005 10:34 am

PITA333 wrote:
"The US Airways Signature Visa Card is what my father has, and he loves it."

I have the same card too and I'm very pleased with it. I think the yearly fee is $90... besides getting a 1 mile for each dollar spent, I also get upgrades on eligible flights, check-in on first class, priority boarding, and other great benefits which I use regurlarly. I also get 2 miles for each dollar spent directly with USairways.

Cheers,
DENplanenut

ACdreamliner

Thu Jul 21, 2005 11:02 am

just signed up for the BMI one after reading this post, sounds like a good idea, buy everything on it, pay it off monthly, and i'm away!
Where are you going?

EZEIZA

Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:51 pm

My mom has the Iberia Visa card and she's very happy with it so far ...
Carp aunque ganes o pierdas ...

UAalltheway

Fri Jul 29, 2005 11:01 pm

Quoting DENplanenut (Reply 25):

I have the same card too and I'm very pleased with it. I think the yearly fee is $90... besides getting a 1 mile for each dollar spent, I also get upgrades on eligible flights, check-in on first class, priority boarding, and other great benefits which I use regurlarly. I also get 2 miles for each dollar spent directly with USairways.

Are you serious?! Screw elite status.. get the US visa!! That would blow my socks off!

dinker225

Sat Jul 30, 2005 6:06 am

I have the United Visa. Very happy with it. Had it for over a year. I put my tuition on it. The past 2 years they have had a promo where you get double miles for every dollar spent on school. This got me a free ticket to Australia in June.

Dinker
Two rules in aviation, don't hit anything and don't run out of gas, cause if you run out of gas yer gonna hit something.

highpeaklad

Sat Jul 30, 2005 6:48 am

In the UK I find Tesco creditcard is the best for AirMiles. You get one Tesco point for every £2 spent (+ usual points if shopping at Tesco) and because I spend over £60 per week at Tesco They are converted at 250 Tesco points = 80 AirMiles So if I spend £1000 I get 500 Tesco points = 160 AirMiles.
That is one mile for every £6.25. There are many creditcards offering AirMiles, but the going rate is one mile for every £20.Airmiles own credit card offers £20 per mile (+200mile bonus for first purchase)
The standard Tesco conversion rate with no minimum spend is 250points = 60 miles. Even that rate is one mile for every £8.33 ,still much better than the average creditcard.

If you want AirMiles get a Tesco credit card!

PS I don't work for Tesco

Chris
Don't try to keep up with the Joneses - bring them down to your level !

simo82

Sat Jul 30, 2005 3:52 pm

I have an AMEX - Alitalia MilleMiglia Card and I really must say that no card gives better services than AMEX every time there's been a problem they would solve it in no time!! Really a great card nothing will make me change it!

CIAO
Simo

Legallykev

Tue Aug 02, 2005 9:35 pm

I got my Aeroplan American Express! LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE IT lol

Legallykev

Tue Aug 02, 2005 9:37 pm

Forgot to mention that with the Platinum AMEX that I got, u have access to all the Maple leaf lounges and Executive check in at AC counters. + for ever 1$ spent u get 1.25 miles and eventually it becomes 1.5 for every $

exFATboy

Thu Aug 04, 2005 2:28 am

I use the Citi AA Visa Signature card - the advantage to the "Signature" card is that you can charge beyond your credit limit, with the balance in excess of your limit due at next statement. So it functions like a regular (green) Amex card as well as a regular Visa. This is really handy when you travel, because you don't have to worry about hotels and rental car agencies taking reserves against your credit line and tying up too much of your credit line. I use it for everything I can, including recurring bills like the mobile phone, gym membership, etc.

I use an Amex Blue as my backup card. Haven't decided yet whether or not to get one of the new JetBlue Amex cards - the base earnings rate is a little better than most cards ($20,000 charged to earn a domestic r/t, most "one dollar = one mile" cards require $25k charged), double earnings for some purchases, and a 5,000 award dollar bonus (25 True Blue points, one-quarter of a free flight) for signing up. I'm not a big fan of the $40 annual fee, but I use JetBlue enough that it might make it worthwhile.

GHOSTRIDER

Thu Aug 04, 2005 6:03 am

For those of you looking for a debit card, Chase Continental MasterCard Debit Card gives you 1 mile per dollar, 1,000 bonus miles for signing up, and the annual fee is $30, but other than that, the checking account is totally free! Chase also offers a regular credit for CO miles, and I believe that is 1 mile per dollar as well.

spirtofalaska

Thu Aug 04, 2005 1:22 pm

alaska airlines visa card by bank of america here.
Becuase i had no credit to start w/ i only have the Classic card w/ a little limit, BUT i still ahve racked up almost 20,000 miles this year! YAY!
I love it, and obviously so does everyone else in alaska, as thats what everyone has.
you fo'Coffee?

rjpieces

Thu Aug 04, 2005 1:28 pm

The only one he has is the Amex cash back card.

My family uses that as well. If you add up the money you save every year, it is way more than you would pay for an airline ticket that miles would be exchanged for.

I think the rate is close to 2% back. So if you spend $20,000, you will get either 20,000 miles or $400 back. Since I don't fly that often, it doesn't pay to get an airline credit card....That being said, I recently applied for the United College card.
"Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon"