klm672

So... I'm Not Sure If I Like Aviation Anymore

Fri Jul 22, 2005 1:09 am

This is something I'd never thought I'd be writing. I recently took a trip to Frankfurt, Germany on vacation and flew with Air Canada from Montreal to frankfurt and back. To keep this fairly short, I felt the flight was a bit boring, and didn't get much of a thrill out of the flight Frankfurt Airport, or the whole aspect in general. Yes, i did get all excited to feel the powere of the engines, and the scenery, but...it was just different. I thought FRA would be busier. Last time I flew was last year on British Airways from Montreal to London and back and it was a 777. It was a thrill to be on a 777 and to see busy heathrow. Maybe the fact that it was a step down (both aircraft size and airport size) has something to do with it. Also some factors are that the pilot didn't say much about the flight, said "we'll be at 36,000ft") on the way up and little info was given on the way back. No mention of what countries flew over either. No map was shown on the tv screen. I was just wondering if it is that big of a conern that I wasn't "OMG a plane" excited as I was normally, if i should kinda ditch avation (i'd hate to--because its my life). I always wanted to be a pilot, but nthe last few years i wanted to be a cabin crew member, but the long haul really takes a lot out of me.
Thoughts? And is this normal, has it happened to you?
Thanks,
Andre

ohthedrama747

Fri Jul 22, 2005 1:18 am

After reading this, it sounds as if you have cancer or something.

Just because you don't get a massive 'thrill' doesn't mean you should ditch it. Things get less exciting over time i suppose.

I used to want to be a pilot more than anything...but i'm not sure anymore. Still though, i like aviation stuff, i like seeing the planes and i love flying.

I think you are being slightly OTT.

G

Orion737

Fri Jul 22, 2005 1:20 am

I have flown so many times, that the childlike excitement I used to feel, isnt always there anymore and also because for me, the meals, the drinks, the hot towels, the sweets, the variety of aircraft types were all part and parcel of the experience.

Nowadays, its like getting on a bus and every flight is either an A320 or 737. I would love to go back to the days of the huge variety of aircraft types. I grew up flying on the 1-11, Trisar, DC10, 727.

klm672

Fri Jul 22, 2005 1:26 am

Sorry to be so dramatic, it was a first for me, and yeah i think the kid like thing is gone. Thanks for the responses, and I am glad that I am the only one that is not like this, although i didn't think I would be. yeah like you said Orion737, its like (exciting as) going on a bus.
Andre

[Edited 2005-07-21 18:28:12]

kjet12

Fri Jul 22, 2005 1:33 am

This year, I have done more flying than I have ever done in previous years. All of this in addition to my flight training makes going to the airport and hopping on an airplane feel all so routine.

Also, airline travel is not what it used to be (at least in the US). No more meals or anything. Added to that, you have the pleasure of the increased security measures that makes one feel as if they are a terrorist. Air travel has become just another form of mass transit. Perhaps this has contributed to your lack of enthusiasm.

I remember going through this same thing about a year ago and if I recall correctly, I posted about this same topic. I wouldn't ditch aviation. The aviation and the airline industry is still quite fascinating and is always changing. I hope this helps you a bit.

Kris
AA - Doing what we do best.

N243NW

Fri Jul 22, 2005 3:59 am

Hi Andre-

Sorry to hear about your (I hope temporary) loss of interest in aviation.

I agree with what Kris said above; although the actual aircraft of today are certainly anything but boring, often the process of flying, with the increase in security and the decrease in comfort, leaves something to be desired. As mentioned above, aviation unfortunately appears to be turning into simply another form of mass transit. With LCCs like Ryanair offering extremely affordable fares but nearly no comfort, the days of legacy carriers and the glamor of air travel may well be numbered.

However, as much as you may detest the ordeal that you have to go through just to get on the plane, never forget how amazing these machines are. Don't let the September 11 Security Fee keep you from savoring the exciting feeling of being pressed back into your seat on takeoff. Don't let the absence of extra legroom or a decent meal keep you from feeling excited about a crosswind greaser.

Try not to make the assumption that you're done with aviation after just one mediocre flight. I'd be willing to bet that the next time you fly on a 777 into LHR, you'll regain your excitement. Sometimes, routine is perceived as boredom. Even though you may fly every day, the thrill of flying never totally disappears. Once you've been bitten by the flying bug, you can't ignore it.

Hope this helps!

-Ryan biggrin 
B-52s don't take off. They scare the ground away.

Udo

Fri Jul 22, 2005 4:25 am

Quoting KLM672 (Thread starter):
Thoughts? And is this normal, has it happened to you?

I simply try to avoid inferior airlines with bad service, stone age IFE and uncaring F/As, as well as boring aircraft and crappy airports. Helps a lot...  Wink

Regards
Udo
Me & You & a Plane Named Blue...

positiverate

Fri Jul 22, 2005 4:32 am

Nothing wrong with it: that's what makes the world go 'round.

And the comment in post 2 about cancer was in poor taste...

deltaffindfw

Fri Jul 22, 2005 4:37 am

Well, there is a reason why a very large airplane company is called AirBUS  Wink

It is kind of sad. I still do love traveling, but as was stated before, it is no more the glory and fancy way to travel. It's just like a bus or train. But, with new airlines, new planes, new or updated airports coming on line, there is still some thrill left. Even here at AA-land, the opening of Terminal D, the addition of Mexicana, and the Skylink drown out the ho-hum of flying the same MD-80 to every destination.

It's all about perspective, I guess.  Smile

avroarrow

Fri Jul 22, 2005 4:42 am

Hmmmm I detect a slight against AC and their service standards there Udo  Smile No worries, I'm not about to argue.
As for perceived boredom with aviation, the best antidote for that in my experience is to try something new within aviation.
For example, go on a familiarization flight with a flight instructor, you'll get to fly something like a 172 for half an hour or so and if you've never done that before I guarantee it'll re-ignite a spark for you. And it shouldn't be THAT expensive. (I know a 172 isn't exactly an F-16, but trust me its still tons of fun.)
Or conversely you could find a new aviation video title and give that a watch on a slow night. The ITVV series are excellent or any World Air Routes from an exotic location or with an aircraft type you have never been on will usually make for an interesting watch.
Just a couple of suggestions. But I wouldn't worry, its probably just a bad week or something. As soon as you don't think about aviation for a couple of weeks and then come back to it it'll probably be fun all over again.  Smile
Give me a mile of road and I can take you a mile. Give me a mile of runway and I can show you the world.

dforce1

Fri Jul 22, 2005 4:50 am

Fly Air Canada with a Western based English speaking crew from Vancouver or Calgary, make sure you're on an Airbus, not the B767 and you'll have a much better experience. Oh and yes - you definitely have to fly to LHR, nothing else compares!

SA006

Fri Jul 22, 2005 4:56 am

Wait a second , you want to quit aviation because of the lack of scenery outside your window?  scratchchin 

-SA006
Proudly South African

PA110

Fri Jul 22, 2005 5:01 am

KLM672, if your profile is correct, I was working in the airline industry before you were even born. Your loss of enthusiasm is making me feel very old. Yes, despite the advances in aviation technology that make the 787 or A380 possible, the actual travel experience has definitely declined, moreso lately than ever before.

Face it, travel just ain't what it used to be. A flight on a 707 or DC8 was far more exciting than the rather bland generic experience of a 767 or A330. Sorry you weren't around back then. Likewise, I wish I had been around in the days of the great Flying Boats!

While it will no doubt be exciting to ride the new 787 or A380 for the first time, the novelty will no doubt wear off fast. The thought of being reduced to just one of millions of passengers herded through airports on a daily basis tends to do that!
It's been swell, but the swelling has gone down.

Jetblue15

Fri Jul 22, 2005 5:13 am

Maybe this relates. Starting my first aviation job everything seems busy and exciting. Everything is big such as the terminal the ramp and of course the planes. Everything is loud but then you get used to it. Still love the job but now everything is smaller and at times not very exciting. One thing that remand though is its noisey as all hell. Point of the story. Things don't have to be exciting all the time but as long as you get it every now and then it makes life that much sweeter. I should do greeting cards  Smile

Jetblue15
racecar spelled backwards spells racecar

jtamu97

Fri Jul 22, 2005 5:30 am

Andre,
You get what you make out if it. I have been on many boring flights as you described but I did not even think of not liking aviation. I just kept thinking to myself WOW, this is amazing that I can get in this large tube with not much separting me from the atmosphere, fly to Singapore, Paris, Nairobi, Brazil, South Africa, etc in less than a day! These are all places I have flown, and the pilots did not say much but how much is there to say when you are flying over primarily Ocean...For those passenegers on the right if you look out your window you will see the moon reflecting off the water, for those on the left you will still see the moon reflecting on the water. I have had many more great experiences than bad...The best has been overflying the Panama Canal at 2,000 feet on a CO 727!! Obviously you do not have the love of aviation that you think. I am 30 now, have always loved flying since a kid, bought a plane and still have to try and see every plane that flies over my house and wonder where they are going and to think how proud the pilots must be to be flying such an amazing machine. If just because the pilot did not talk much and Frankfurt was boring turns you off from aviation maybe you should find something else. It is not like football or something where you can like it one year and not the next. The whole aspect of aviation is a passion and if you plan on pursuing the field your heart has to be in it 100%. I would hate to see the pilot who just shrugs his shoulders and says it is just a job. Oh and if you think it is as exciting as riding a bus, why don't you try to do that for 8- 10 hours and I bet you sure will appreciate your flight a whole lot more.

[Edited 2005-07-21 22:32:43]
Propeller, we don't need no stinkin propeller

jmy007

Fri Jul 22, 2005 5:32 am

You know, I think its a good thing if flights are uneventlful.
That's the way it should be.
Cookies are the Gateway pastry. They lead to Éclairs and Bear Claws.

bongo

Fri Jul 22, 2005 5:37 am

No mention of what countries flew over either.

Well..part of our hobbie should be guess in which Country are we flying, That's what I do with my GPS  Smile
MDE: First airport in the Americas visited by the A380!

wgw2707

Fri Jul 22, 2005 6:54 am

Every time I have to endure a Trans-Atlantic flight, I cease to be an aviation enthusiast for at least 72 hours afterwards... Relax, it's perfectly normal.

-WGW2707

trekster

Fri Jul 22, 2005 7:03 am

I love avaition, but u dont have to get excited on every single flt.

I took my first 737 to LGW a few weeks ago (still have my TR to do) and it was good. The way back was my first 735, i read my book and was not that impressed with the flt itself (dont think i like the 73 that much)

Still love flying though
Where does the time go???

trekster

Fri Jul 22, 2005 7:03 am

I love avaition, but u dont have to get excited on every single flt.

I took my first 737 to LGW a few weeks ago (still have my TR to do) and it was good. The way back was my first 735, i read my book and was not that impressed with the flt itself (dont think i like the 73 that much)

Still love flying though
Where does the time go???

atrude777

Fri Jul 22, 2005 7:34 am

I have had periods of it, where I flew so much I was sick of it for a month. But then later id be asking about any other flying trips in the future. I am more excited about the airport stuff, and the waiting to fly, and the boarding the plane and take off. but once in the air, I get bored. Then I get excited again once we start the landing. Once in a blue moon ill ignore planes for a few hours or days.

Alex
Good things come to those who wait, better things come to those who go AFTER it!

ohthedrama747

Fri Jul 22, 2005 7:35 am

Quoting Positiverate (Reply 7):
Nothing wrong with it: that's what makes the world go 'round.

And the comment in post 2 about cancer was in poor taste...

Oh for God's sake.

Seriously, no harm was meant by it. But the original poster was a bit dramatic about it.

Sorry to offend you.

727EMflyer

Fri Jul 22, 2005 8:14 am

Second the motion to take action on the pilot gig! A little over a year ago I took an intro flight as a birthday present from my wife. I had wanted to fly for so long, but everytime I thought about the cost I just turned sour. Well she got sick of me gazing out the window at the arrivals to HNL, of which I had a perfect view, and nearly crashing (according to her) the car each time we drove by the airport (Great view of HA and AQ ops plus remote stands and Cargo/GA ramp along freeway by HNL). Again I was reluctant to actually call the flight school to schedule since I figured I wouldn't continue due to the cost. Well, I was right, I didn't take any more lessons with that school because after discussing Part 61 vs. Part 141 with a couple pilots and found a more affordable place to learn. After another intro with their instructor, gravity couldn't keep me down!

m404

Fri Jul 22, 2005 8:15 am

After this short of time you are bored. Now imagines how bored the crew is. Now imagine you as the crew. Now pick a new career, one where you never get bored and call us back.

I'm not being hyper critical but realistic. Career dreams are not salved by pie in the sky imaginings but actual reality. Travel is now a commodity reduced to it's most utalitarian possibilities served by employees who have, for many, become a source or revenue for cash strapped corporations. It will not get better because as fuel increases everything else decreases. No Alaskan oil field will change a thing.
Less sarcasm and more thought equal better understanding

BA

Fri Jul 22, 2005 8:46 am

KLM672,

I think you just lost that childlike excitement in flying that we all experienced when we were younger. I used to have that same feeling of excitement when flying, and while I still do, it is a lot less than I used to. But I still have it and I still enjoy flying. The fact also that planes are getting a little bit quieter, smoother, less exciting to fly and see, and the fact that aircraft variety is getting less and smaller.

I think another reason is the fact that airline traveling has become less convenient, comfortable, and enjoyable as a result of the increased security at airports and the fact that airlines are cutting back in service and as others have mentioned....become simply a form of transportation and not much more.

When I was young, my interest in aviation was simply flying on planes and watching them. It doesn't matter what route or the airline. I just enjoyed the thrills of take-offs, landings and the flying in general. Now my main interest in aviation is the airline industry and following the progression of aircraft development. At the same time, I still enjoy flying as I used to when I was young, but that childlike "thrill" is much less. I still enjoy watching planes and walking around the different gates in airports. This is an enjoyment I don't think will ever fade for me.

What your experiencing is perfectly normal and I would not say you are losing an interest in aviation, as long as you enjoy following the airline industry, the evolvement of aircraft, and of course browsing this addictive website.  Smile

Regards
"Generosity is giving more than you can, and pride is taking less than you need." - Khalil Gibran

c5onknees

Fri Jul 22, 2005 8:52 am

Flying on any airline as a Passenger sucks, I would never do it for fun. I'm sure it's a better trip if your the Captain.

HBIHLtoEZE

Fri Jul 22, 2005 9:28 am

As a teenager I was thrilled whenever I had the opportunity to fly, now the thrill is not so present anymore, however something else, very enjoyable occurs to me now, when flying (certainly not on FR though), especially long haul: the feeling of ease and relaxation - the passenger cabin as the last resort of peace and quiteness.

Routine and repetition make everything dull - but hey, there are routes that are thrills, still, like the following:

all on Lloyd Aereo Boliviano

SCL - EZE (on AC, for instance)

and so on...

if you like being hassled, take FR...

cheers
Our battered suitcases were piled on the sidewalk again; we had longer ways to go. But no matter, the road is life.

VirginA340

Fri Jul 22, 2005 11:58 am

Andre,

Just as 'G' stated, you shouldn't ditch the whole interest in aviation because of one flight. There are many airlines out there, especially in the US, with many flights and a plethora of destinations to go to. Not to mention that, there are many types of aircraft with many features, some with televisions with in-flight path indicators and many channels to choose from.

Personally, I remember my first time going trans Atlantic (which was actually my first time on an aircraft period.) I try to look at each time I fly as if I were taking my first flight all over again. Or if I was flying on Concorde!  Big grin

Fly well & be well.

Cheers  champagne ,

Jeremy
"FUIMUS"

nonrevman

Fri Jul 22, 2005 12:37 pm

My wife and I only took one trip this summer, and it was only for a week. We would have given anything to have an uneventful flight as you described. Instead, what we got was a 2 1/2 hour hold on the ramp at DFW, then just as we were about to take off, the airport switched runway directions. Just as we got to the other side of the airport, DFW took its first weather delay in over a month. Then, we take off. Then, we get in a holding pattern. Then, we get in another one. Then, just as we are about to land in ATL (I could literally see the airport), we suddenly pull up due to bad weather there and divert to Augusta. We sit there and wait for fuel. Then, we finally get off that plane after being in it for over 7 1/2 hours. We miss our connection to Rome, naturally. We are put on standby for the last Rome flight and final hope for crossing the Atlantic that night. No dice. We wait two hours in a line for rebooking and to try and get options for getting out. They rebook us for the next day to London, where we can connect on to Malta, which was really our final destination. We are not allowed access to our baggage for the night we will spend in ATL. We wait by the hotel phones and snatch one of the last remaining rooms in the vicinity of the airport. Now, it is really late, and I get to make phone calls to hotels, Air Malta, and a tour operater explaining why we wont be there the following evening. A good day and a half of the one vacation we could afford this year is instantly gone. We check in the next day and are assured that our luggage is now on the new flights with us by both the ticket counter and the baggage office that they recommend we also visit just to be sure (2 more long lines, a lot of people are in the same situation). We board an hour late due to a security sweep for the London flight after spending 7 hours in ATL airport. Since hotel check-out time is 11AM, we really have no place to go but the airport and wait. We get to Gatwick and watch the carousel until it is empty--no bags. As the carousel starts to thin out, I get in the growing line at the LGW baggage office in anticipation of the problem. My wife verifies that the baggage is indeed not there. The baggage guy at LGW informs me that one bag is already being transferred to Air Malta and the other one is on a later flight from ATL. One bag contains snorkel gear and towels only, the other one has the swimsuit and all of the clothes. So, a claim ticket is filed, and we go to the other terminal where Air Malta is. Air Malta leaves an hour late because there is no one on the ramp to work their flight. This actually gives me a little hope because maybe the "late" bag will make it on too. After 4 1/2 hours in LGW, we take off for Malta. We get to Malta and neither bag has made it. My wife is in tears now and just wants to go home. In a nutshell, we spend the next few days calling Delta and Air Malta about our baggage. When asked where our bags are, we got various responses such as "Atlanta, London, Manchester, Milan, Rome, and "I don't know". We get the bags shortly before it is time to leave Malta, never having had a chance to swim in the Mediterranean. I will confess that I enjoyed what time we had in Malta, the one day in Sicily, and the two in Rome before going back. On the way back, we were late leaving Atlanta to go home again because of weather. My wife swore off all international travel. As for me, I took the more rational approach and have just decided to try and avoid connecting through Atlanta for the rest of my natural life even if it means paying hundreds more for a ticket. Since I do not work for an airline anymore, vacation time has become much more valuable. After all, it takes a while to save up for a ticket.

My point is this: If you find your flight to be boring and uneventful, be very thankful for it. I am truly sorry aviation has become less exciting, and in a way we completely understand. However, that saying about "No news is good news" has a lot of merit  Smile Believe me, you do not want to hear that voice from the cockpit that starts out with "Ladies and gentlemen, you might have noticed........."

End of rant.

jetdeltamsy

Fri Jul 22, 2005 2:09 pm

if i should kinda ditch avation (i'd hate to--because its my life).

It's simple. If aviation is your "life", then you must pursue it.

Be prepared for a roll-coaster career. (understatement)

If you can do something else more financially viable than the airline industry and just watch the business from the side, you'd be better off financially.

But if it's your "life", your passion, as it is mine, then you've got to go for it.

Good luck.
Tired of airline bankruptcies....EA/PA/TW and finally DL.

jafa39

Fri Jul 22, 2005 2:30 pm

There are good days and there are average days, its all to do with bio-rythms, ask any Tokyo taxi driver.

Better bored than scared though, eh mate?
We, the undersigned, do hereby consent.....

Zweed

Fri Jul 22, 2005 3:03 pm

industrialized country problem of the day

AirWillie6475

Fri Jul 22, 2005 3:17 pm

Montreal to Frankfurt huh? Try flying LAX to Frankfurt on Lufthansa. After that experience everytime I try to make plans to fly to Europe I second guess if I'm up for it. Those hours of boredom staring out the window in those LH jets come back to haunt me. That's what happens when you try to save 200 bucks on a long haul ticket. Flyin now does suck in general. I haven't flown a wide body in like 5 years besides the one LH747. All I have flown in the last 5 years are a combination of 737s, a320s, and CRJs. Planes now have litteraly turned into flying buses especially WN. I have come to a point where I really don't care to fly anymore because it's going to be the same 737 or airbus with the same crew with the same cheap jokes. What I try to do now is fly only on the regional airlines when I can becuause flying the regional ACs is what is still fun for me.

kykevin54

Fri Jul 22, 2005 4:19 pm

I have loved airplanes since I was a little kid. In the past few years, I have become fascinated with the inner workings of the industry and spend a fair amount of my spare time researching and reading about it. I, however, have been on some pretty awful flights. But the fact still remains that I love flying and that I love airplanes and airlines. 15 hours stuck in a middle seat of a United 747 economy section seated next to a large Samoan man wasn't the best experience of my life, but the mere fact that I was able to sit there for fifteen hours and then step out of the plane into Hong Kong still fascinated me. I guess it all just depends on how much you really love it and how much you thought you were supposed to. You know, it's kind of like finally getting the girl of your "dreams" and then realizing that she's boring. Aviation, though, has never disappointed or bored me.

B787

Fri Jul 22, 2005 4:47 pm

IT's called getting older! The mind and senses change, other things start to matter and you get other priorities. I loved aviation as a kid/teenager. Planes, airports etc were just the best. I lost my 'passion' in my early twenties and found it again after 4-5 years. I love aviation, I love watching aircraft take of and land but now I have no intention to be a commercial pilot. Now I want to run an airline!  Smile

Quoting DFORCE1 (Reply 10):
Fly Air Canada with a Western based English speaking crew from Vancouver or Calgary

I did, from both, one on a A319 from YVR to LAX and YYC to YOW on a A321. Were they supposed to be better? Sure the aircraft was clean, the crew courteous but it was nothing special. We had to buy our 'food' and the choice was small. The IFE was boring, and on those little screens that fold down from under the bins. Hardly spectacular. Sorry to Say but Westjet YVR to YYC return was better. Clean plane, courteous crew, nice terminal, had to buy food, choice was similar to AC, but the IFE was brilliant - FREE ($1 for headphones) 25 channel live satellite TV with individual screens. Brilliant!! Oh the view of the Rockies helped to but I suspect AC offer that too.

Quoting Jafa39 (Reply 30):
Better bored than scared though, eh mate?

biggrin 

Great call. So true. A great flight is one that takes off... and lands.

baw716

Fri Jul 22, 2005 5:15 pm

Andre,
As in all things, we evolve. So does Aviation. We are at a critical juncture in aviation, at the beginning of the 21st century. Actually, if you think about it, its really an exciting time. For example: We have the launch of the A380, the beginning of the construction of the 787, the first airplane not made mostly of metal. Boeing is going to make a 747 advanced, the 777-200LR is just on the horizon and I believe within 10 years, we will have solved the problem of supersonic flight and another supersonic airliner will be born.

We are at the very beginning of another upswing in profitability for airlines in general. This is seen mostly overseas and with the LCCs in North America; the legacy carriers are struggling because they have yet to figure out what they have to do to survive.

Innovation in aircraft development is going to change rapidly over the next twenty years, as well airline travel. The concept of quality air travel will come back. It may be different than what we have experienced in the past, but so too will our attitudes as to what we define as quality.

From what I have read, some of your depression about aviation stems from the realization that things now are not what they used to be and that is a big disappointment for you. What you must realize is that the only constant in this industry is change. Adapting to an ever changing environment and being able to stay on the front edge of the changes that occur daily in this business is the true exhilirating challenge and what makes this business fun. I learn something new every day, and I will keep learning new things every day because something new happens every day.

So I challenge you to consider this: Instead of considerating leaving Aviation, write all the reasons why you love aviation on one side of the page, and all the reasons you think you want to leave. I would be willing to bet that your list on the positive side is greater than the list on the negative side. If it is, then you need to pick from your list and decide what is most important and focus your efforts in that area. Only then can you find the passion and the desire to achieve your dream in aviation, whatever that may be. Only when you dream, only when you believe in your heart that you can do something will you take the first step to do the things necessary to achieving your goals. You may falter by the way, but if you keep your eyes focused on your goal, never take your eye off the ball, there is nothing thet can stop you from accomplishing anything. All you have to do is believe.

baw716
David L. Lamb, fmr Area Mgr Alitalia SFO 1998-2002, fmr Regional Analyst SFO-UAL 1992-1998

Silver1SWA
Crew

Fri Jul 22, 2005 7:22 pm

Because I fly a lot more often than I used to, the child-like thrill of flying surely is not there anymore. But I still love to fly, and I still love aviation.

I have had a season pass to Disneyland for almost 2 years now (even though I just moved to So Cal hahaha). Even before I got one, I would go a lot more often than with my family when I was a kid. I became old enough to take random trips with friends so it became much easier. Sure it isn't the same as it was. But I still love going...

The older you get, and/or the more you do things, the less exciting they become. Just a fact of life. It's nothing that calls for completely abandoning something you love.
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

Shenzhen

Fri Jul 22, 2005 7:27 pm

I can only hope that I am sleeping before the wheels leave the ground, and I wake up as we taxi in.

Cheers

fastenseatbelt

Fri Jul 22, 2005 7:55 pm

Maybe you are just not passionate enough about aviation...I get excited whenever I am in a plane...I don't care about the pilot or maps on the screen. Just the feeling of sitting in a plane does it for me. Two summers ago i had 24 take-offs and landings within 2 1/2 months and every single time i was WOW! Also last year I was stuck on an Emirates flight for 17 hours without leaving it once due to two diversions and i enjoyed every single second of it.
Above the clouds...it must be beatutiful there

ZKSUJ

Fri Jul 22, 2005 8:27 pm

Its probably a slight dip more than anything else. Give it a while, and you will be up there again. I'm sure all of us have been through times like that.

UAalltheway

Sat Jul 23, 2005 4:51 am

I feel the exact same way... but it's because I was stuck on DL for 7 hrs yesterday.  Silly

My feelings will certainly change in about 8 hrs...

comorin

Sat Jul 23, 2005 6:15 am

Flying is the most incredible experience available to the common man. Remember 80% of the planet's population can only dream about flying someday.

From the amazing engineering - a symphony of electronics, fluid mechanics, structures - to the incredible experience of seeing the world from above, there is nothing boring about flying. From the time I set foot in a plane 55 years ago (A BOAC DC4, I think), every flight has been awesome if you let your mind become at one with the plane.

The trip route also lends itself to the magic of flying - over the Amazon at night you can imagine parrots and jaguars lurking in the jungle below, looking for dinner; over Asia, you can look down at the Bosphorus thinking of the months of travel it took Marco Polo to do what you can do in eight hours. So all the little steps that Man took over the centuries culminated in the gift of flying. The next step is Space, but there will be relatively less to look at out of the window...

As for the good old days, some have commented about how grand it was. I beg to differ. Pre-Jet age flying was very difficult on passengers - the noisy drone of prop engines, low altitude weather turbulence with a bag at hand, boiled candy and cotton wool to compensate for poor cabin pressurization. Worst of all, flying was not the safe, uneventful experience it is today.

So don't get jaded, you are lucky to be doing what Man has been aspiring for since he peeked out of his cave. Enjoy the remarkable experience of flying everytime it happens, and look at the cabin crew coldly when they ask you to pull down the shades...

cloudnine 

zkeoj

Sat Jul 23, 2005 12:23 pm

FRA is the second busiest airport in Europe, and I can't believe it is "quiet" - especially when the flights from North America arrive, because that is usually late morning to noon'ish - a busy time. I never ever got bored at FRA, especially since they have these fantastic viewing decks at both Terminals - show me one other airport that offers that! LHR is certainly busier, but viewing is much more restricted, and behind glass.

Regarding the exitement about flying, I share your feelings. I have been on 280+ segments, and I still love flying, but I don't get the same thrill out of that anymore either. I suppose it is simply a matter of getting used to it. My next two trips will most likely be AKL-PMI-AKL in September (3 days in PMI), and AKL-IZM-AKL in Turkey (3 days in IZM, maybe a few added in Europe somewhere). Thus, I will be travelling a total of 4 days for being at the destination for 3 days. It's exhausting, and a lost of "wasted" time. But compared to driving long distances, you at least can sit back and relax, listen to music, watch movies, read, etc. And funnily, I still love flying and try to get on a trip as often as I can, but I am more and more dreading the 26+ hours trips. Getting older is certainly part of it - it's not as easy anymore to get back on track after such a trip - the jetlag is worse than it was when I was 20-30ish...

However, I will always love flying, and I will always love watching planes arrive and take off at airports, and I will always love taking pics of aircraft - so aviation will always be part of my life - even if I get a bit tired of being on the planes myself...

CHeers
micha

BAViscount

Sun Jul 24, 2005 12:31 am

Having lived and breathed civil aviation as a kid/teenager, I actually found that I went through a phase a few years back where my interest died almost, but not quite to nothing. Growing up, just being within the vicinity of an airport excited me, even if I couldn't actually see it. Just the thought that there was an airport close by and that I might see a plane take off or land was enough for me! Once as a kid my Dad took me to Stansted Airport, in the days before it was redeveloped into what we know it as today. In the three or so hours we were there, not a single aircraft tookoff or landed - basically there was nothing going on, but my interest and excitement was so high that I didn't care!

And then one day I entered the desert. My interest was gone. I really don't know why, maybe it was that other things became more important, or maybe my fear of flying (yes, despite my love of civil aviation, I hated to fly!) turned me off the whole thing. And while I was in that desert so many things happened that I really didn't care that much about. The advent of the MD11 for example...and the A340. Both of those passed me by...I knew they were happening, but I really didn't care. At one time I could name every airline that passed over my London home on the way to LHR, but while I was in the desert new airlines started up that I didn't recognise, and again, I didn't care.

Then one day the rains came and the plants started to grow in my aviation desert and everything came back to me!! Again, don't ask me why because I don't know. Nowadays, my stack of airline magazines is bigger than it ever was in the pre-desert days, and I spend far too much time on this and other websites!

The point of my ramblings? If aviation's in your blood, it's in your blood. OK, there may be times when it takes a back seat, but it will always be there, bubbling away in your subconcious mind, and one day it will boil over and all the old familiar feelings will come flooding back.

Such is life!
Ladies & gentlemen this is Captain Tobias Wilcock welcoming you aboard Coconut Airways flight 372 to Bridgetown Barb

highflyer9790

Mon Aug 01, 2005 10:28 am

Andre, (in a fast paced, psychologist way of speaking) this is a typical depression one will go through when going from big to small. Stay indoors, get plenty of rest, and a tablespoon of Airplanecilin. Occasionally, Airport tums may do the trick. Visit me in a month...see The receptionist in the waiting room for her to fill these out... fever 

Ok, Just kidding! Anyway, After going to LHR and then to ATH im like..."Hey where's the action?" Stay with it! You'll snap out of it!  bigthumbsup 

kilavoud

Mon Aug 01, 2005 5:29 pm

You should try the space!!!

If I were younger I would like to be a spacewalker.

Cheers. Kilavoud.

skysurfer

Tue Aug 02, 2005 7:42 am

KLM,
I used to be sooo much into spotting (ie, logging registrations etc) but then i didn't do it for a while and i couldn't be bothered. But i still looked up or wondered what that contrail was, and now after the YYZ meet i'm right back into it. Just coz you have a bad time once doesn't mean it's always gonna be that way, it just makes you appreciate the good times more.
I sometimes get sick of drinking beer, but hey i'd die without it!!  Smile

Cheers
In the dark you can't see ugly, but you can feel fat

Checo77

RE: So... I'm Not Sure If I Like Aviation Anymore

Sat Aug 13, 2005 9:14 am

Quoting Udo (Reply 6):
simply try to avoid inferior airlines with bad service, stone age IFE and uncaring F/As, as well as boring aircraft and crappy airports. Helps a lot...

Exactly my words, thanks Udo for saying this, it is more true than anything. I invest more money to fly with a better airline, in a better plane through better airports. And as Udo said, helps a lot...
Regards,
Adam
Czech Boeing lover living in Lima

hz747300

Sat Aug 13, 2005 10:49 am

Well, well, well, ...

It is tough because airports and air travel are not the same experience that it used to be. But for me the destination anticipation is just as fun. On my last vacation we went from LGA-YUL-LHR-CDG-LHR-YYZ-LGA, with only significant stops in YUL, LHR(1), and CDG. I was excited to see Paris as I had not been there in 20 years! But torwards the end of the trip the flights were getting tiresome.
Keep on truckin'...

raichuzai

Sun Aug 14, 2005 1:36 am

I lost interested in flights also...Last flight from JFK-HKG, a 16 hour flight on an A346, the legroom was tiny, flight attendants were not pretty(as compared to my flight from IAH-EWR 2 years ago in an 772ER with final destination in Rome, Italy), path was a little rough over mainland China, food wasn't that great to suit my taste(I am from HK and riding on a Hong Kong-based airline)

The only announcements were "We are heading to Hong Kong International Airport(same as the other way), the flight takes 15 hours and 50 minutes, on 33500ft(well, actually we were at 39500ft when entering Siberia, and on the way return, said 29500ft, but eventually at 41500ft when entering Canada airspace.)", "The flight is experiencing turbulence, please fasten your seatbelts and avoid using lavoratories", "Flight attendants, please be seated for take off(and landing) (but not the same kind as in 772, the A346 made the announcement by the pilot instead of a pre-recorded voice, which is a lot better and clearer)"...