sparkingwave

Best Coffee In Coach Class? Which Airline?

Sun Jul 24, 2005 1:11 pm

I don't know if this topic has been covered before, but what airline do you think serves the best coffee in coach class? And by that I mean that you've been consistently served a good cup on more than one flight on the same airline!

I've had a good cup of Starbucks on UA flying transpacific between ICN and ORD, but there have been several times too when they didn't make it right and it turned our horrible. That's when I ask for a bottle of Bailey's Irish Cream to smooth out the rough spots...

I've flown TG to BKK and they have a nice blend, with a unique taste with certain spices.

It's so important to have a good cup of joe when doing a long haul (or even a short hop). Wouldn't you agree?

Please let me know your experiences. Together we can actually make A.net a useful forum for meaningful information exchange!

-Sparkingwave
Flights to the moon and all major space stations. At Pan Am, the sky is no longer the limit!

TACAA320

RE: Best Coffee In Coach Class? Which Airline?

Sun Jul 24, 2005 1:13 pm

1) Avianca: 100% Colombian coffee.
2) TACA: 100% Costa Rican coffee.
'Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind'. Albert Einstein

sparkingwave

Sun Jul 24, 2005 1:18 pm

Quoting TACAA320 (Reply 1):

Oooh. That sounds yummy.

Sparkingwave
Flights to the moon and all major space stations. At Pan Am, the sky is no longer the limit!

TACAA320

Sun Jul 24, 2005 2:07 pm

Quoting SparkingWave (Reply 2):
That sounds yummy

And it's yummy.
'Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind'. Albert Einstein

baw716

Sun Jul 24, 2005 2:45 pm

Espresso on Alitalia. There are two machines on board: One in Magnifica and one in the center galley. The espressos are served in Magnifica as a part of the service, in Economy, they are available upon request. They use Lavazza ESQ pods, which brews a perfect cup every time.

baw716
David L. Lamb, fmr Area Mgr Alitalia SFO 1998-2002, fmr Regional Analyst SFO-UAL 1992-1998

Aeri28

Sun Jul 24, 2005 4:08 pm

Air France
Air France
Air France

Really. (just my opinion though..)

uaord2000

Sun Jul 24, 2005 4:43 pm

Gotta go with the Starbucks on UA!!

BestWestern

Sun Jul 24, 2005 4:47 pm

Quoting Aeri28 (Reply 5):
Air France
Air France
Air France

Really. (just my opinion though..)

And my opinion too... Air france coffee is always great...
You are 100 times more likely to catch a cold on a flight than an average person!

workhorse

Sun Jul 24, 2005 5:41 pm

I vote Air France too, though I have yet to experience the Alitalia's.

legacy135

Sun Jul 24, 2005 5:48 pm

How to find out what's best coffee? People around the globe love it in so many different manners, starting up with the American Coffee, someone may call it "colored water", ranging up to Italian Espresso that may nearly kill the American Coffee lover by its strength ..... So I think we wont find a conclusion that easy  Wink

Andie007

Sun Jul 24, 2005 8:55 pm

Definitely Iberia.
I loved their coffee on the Miami route.

kilavoud

Sun Jul 24, 2005 9:15 pm

I like too much the small arabic coffe they give you in a tiny white cup together with date(s) on Saudi Arabian. If you like it they will refill your tiny cup, smiling, because you just like it.

You can try it next time in guest (=US coach) class with SV. It's part of their Golden Service only.

Cheers. Kilavoud.

ACDC8

Mon Jul 25, 2005 2:25 am

Only if it's hand picked by Juan Valdez!  

UA is real good, Starbucks. CP had Starbucks as well. KL and BA have pretty consistent good cups of brew in econo. Mind you, any coffee tastes good 8.5 hours into a trans-atlantic flight; sun just coming up after a short night, breakfast being served and having the whole cabin smell like coffee and warm buns....   

The worst goes to LTU's credit. Luke warm (if you're lucky) instant-crap.  no 

[Edited 2005-07-24 19:27:01]
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

MH017

Mon Jul 25, 2005 4:31 am

2 airlines have my favourite coffees:

1 - Alitalia
2 - KLM
don't throw away tomorrow !

BCAL

Mon Jul 25, 2005 5:29 am

Although I have never flown with them I have been informed that ET serves the best coffee in coach. After all, Ethopia is where coffee was discovered.
MOL on SRB's latest attack at BA: "It's like a little Chihuahua barking at a dying Labrador. Nobody cares."

TACAA320

Mon Jul 25, 2005 6:03 am

Quoting ACDC8 (Reply 12):
Only if it's hand picked by Juan Valdez!

It is hand picked by JV!!!!!!

IBERIA747

Mon Jul 25, 2005 8:02 am

Quoting Andie007 (Reply 10):
Definitely Iberia.
I loved their coffee on the Miami route

I have to agree with that. At least it tastes like real coffee and not that squeezed-sock water you get on many other airlines. I have tried coffee on BA, AA, DL, TA, AR, KL, IB, JK and IB has been the only one that has given me "real" coffee.

People from El Salvador would say "100% Salvadorean Cofee" and Guatemalans will say "100% Guatemalan Coffee". Every coffee producing country claims to have "The world's best coffee". I have heard the same about coffee from Viet Nam, Laos, Uganda, Kenia, Brazil, Ecuador, Guatemala, Costa Rica, Nicaragua, El Salvador...and the list goes on.

I just know that the biggest producer is Brazil and the most advertised is Colombia's coffee.

And don't know if this has to do with quality, but the most expensive coffees you can find at the most select "gourmet" shops here in Madrid are Jamaica's "Blue Mountain" and Guatemala's "Volcán Oro".
¡¡VIVA ESPAÑA!!

MD11junkie

Mon Jul 25, 2005 8:08 am

Quoting IBERIA747 (Reply 16):
I have tried coffee on BA, AA, DL, TA, AR, KL, IB, JK and IB has been the only one that has given me "real" coffee.

Hm, I disagree there Alfonso. When I tasted it, it tasted like dilute... instant coffee.

The best coffe I've ever drank aboard a plane has to be RG's. Pure Brazillian coffee.

And the best coffee ever (not on planes) is Costa Rican!!

Cheers! wave 
Gastón - The MD-11 Junkie
There is no such thing as Boeing vs Airbus as the queen of the skies has three engines, winglets and the sweetest nose!

UAalltheway

Mon Jul 25, 2005 8:15 am

When I was in Matagalpa, Nicaragua I worked at a coffe plant for a little while and I think we sold some to Taca/Taca's parent company.

TACAA320

Mon Jul 25, 2005 10:50 am

Quoting Andie007 (Reply 10):
Definitely Iberia.
I loved their coffee on the Miami route.

They served Colombian coffee.

Quoting IBERIA747 (Reply 16):
People from El Salvador would say "100% Salvadorean Cofee" and Guatemalans will say "100% Guatemalan Coffee". Every coffee producing country claims to have "The world's best coffee". I have heard the same about coffee from Viet Nam, Laos, Uganda, Kenia, Brazil, Ecuador, Guatemala, Costa Rica, Nicaragua, El Salvador...and the list goes on.

The brand usually served is Britt ( www.cafebritt.com ) (from Costa Rica). The Vietnamese coffee is among the worst in the world.

IBERIA747

Mon Jul 25, 2005 10:53 am

Quoting MD11junkie (Reply 17):
When I tasted it, it tasted like dilute... instant coffee.

If this is the impression you got of the coffee served on Iberia then it gives you an idea of how BAD was the coffee on the other airlines.

Btw, Iberia serves only "Café de Colombia". It's just FYI and I don't think Colombian coffee is the world's best although it is has the best marketing.

About Brazilian coffee...we all know that Brazil is the world's biggest producer, but their coffee is not exactly famous for having an outstanding quality...at least not among the best. It could be good for being mixed with other coffees, but it's not so great by itself.
¡¡VIVA ESPAÑA!!

IBERIA747

Mon Jul 25, 2005 11:02 am

Quoting TACAA320 (Reply 19):
The brand usually served is Britt

Yes I know that brand. I used to buy lots of packs of those coffee grains covered with chocolate when I used to go to Costa Rica.

Just as a side note, on a TA flight from Miami to San Salvador I was served "Café de Antigua" (Guatemala). That was in early 2003...last time I flew TA before moving back to Spain. The quality of the coffee was not bad (Antigua is where the "Volcan Oro" is produced"), but they ruined it by adding too much water...it was "weak".

And the Vietnamese coffee...I know that's one of the worst, but they also claim to have the world's best...

[Edited 2005-07-25 04:08:12]
¡¡VIVA ESPAÑA!!

TACAA320

Mon Jul 25, 2005 11:16 am

Quoting IBERIA747 (Reply 21):
I know that's one of the worst, but they also claim to have the world's best

Usually only the coffee cultivated above 1.200 mts. (café de altura) is good quality (and also depends on the type eg. arabic). Vietnamese coffee is from low fields (in terms of heights).
"In some cases the qualities of the green coffee carried through into the dark roast with startling clarity. The Orleans Coffee Exchange Yirgacheffe and the Starbucks Guatemala Antigua, for example, lost almost none of their individuality in the conversion, and even may have added some nuance. In other cases, the Orleans Coffee Exchange's Costa Rica for example, the coffee's qualities (clean, clear profile, powerful but understated acidity) translated into dark roast terms pleasantly, but not identifiably. In other words, I would have had trouble positively identifying the coffee as a Costa Rica in its dark-roast incarnation, but in retrospect I easily saw how the Costa Rica clarity and power worked itself out in parallel dark-roast terms."

[Edited 2005-07-25 04:20:00]

IBERIA747

Mon Jul 25, 2005 11:26 am

Quoting TACAA320 (Reply 22):
Usually only the coffee cultivated above 1.200 mts. (café de altura) is good quality (and also depends on the type eg. arabic).

I know, plus the "Arabic" type is considered to be the best type of coffee. It's the coffee that is mostly produced in Guatemala, Costa Rica (both countries have the "SHB" or Stryctly Hard Bean" type) and Kenya while Brazil (for example) produces coffee of the "Robusta" type, a smaller grain but with a higher content of caffeine.

Btw, according to the 2004 selection made by "Coffee Review", the world's best coffee award was granted to Kenya's coffee, being the 2nd best from Nicaragua and the 3rd from El Salvador.

This classification can change from year to year.
¡¡VIVA ESPAÑA!!

MD11junkie

Mon Jul 25, 2005 11:35 am

Quoting IBERIA747 (Reply 23):
I know, plus the "Arabic" type is considered to be the best type of coffee.

You mean Mocca?

Quoting IBERIA747 (Reply 20):
If this is the impression you got of the coffee served on Iberia then it gives you an idea of how BAD was the coffee on the other airlines.

I remember the really good catering service IB had on the flight, but the coffee wasn't the best. I've had better coffee on AR, I swear (and theirs is not one of the best either).

Cheers! wave 
There is no such thing as Boeing vs Airbus as the queen of the skies has three engines, winglets and the sweetest nose!

IBERIA747

Mon Jul 25, 2005 11:47 am

Quoting MD11junkie (Reply 24):
You mean Mocca?

No Gastón, Arabica is the type of grain...it's like the Coffee's "race".

Arabica and Robusta are the main types of coffee.

I found the following comments to be very interesting

COLOMBIA:
Many coffee experts consider the sweet carmelly taste of Colombian coffee to be its most distinguishing characteristic. The standards for growing and grading Colombian coffee are extremely high. So it's no surprise that Colombian coffee beans consistently rank among the world's highest quality

COSTA RICA:
The coffee trees of Costa Rica consistently yield a large uniform bean that delivers a smooth, medium-bodied brew. All of the coffee beans from Costa Rica are of the highest-quality arabica variety. And they all undergo a unique and expensive wet processing method that gives them one of the most distinctive flavors in the world.

ETHIOPIA:
Ethiopia is the birthplace of coffee and home to some of the world's most flavorful coffee beans. Although coffee grows wild throughout Ethiopia, it is also cultivated on plantations in the high plateaus. Some of the most flavorful plantation-grown arabica beans come from a region called Sidamo. Arabica coffee beans from the Sidamo region are known for their almost perfume-like aromas.

GUATEMALA:
Many coffee enthusiasts consider Guatemalan coffee to be the most distinctive of all of the Central American coffees. It tends to be perfectly balanced with a mild smoky or fruity flavor and a heavy body. Because Guatemalan coffee comes from five distinct regions, the flavors nuances can vary, but the balance and body will always be there.

INDONESIA:
Two of the world's most delicious coffees come form Indonesia in Southeast Asia: Sumatra Mandheling and Java. Both these coffees are derived from the high-quality arabica coffee bean, which is quite rare in Indonesia.

KENYA:
Coffee originated in Africa so it's not surprising some of the world's best coffee beans come from Kenya, in east Africa. Kenyan coffee is grown on small farms and estates in the foothills of Mount Kenya. The temperate climate, high elevations, rich volcanic soil, and favorable growing seasons are ideal for producing an intensely rich and flavorful bean.

TANZANIA:
Tanzania, in East Africa, produces a bold full-bodied coffee with hints of berries, dried fruits, and raisins. High-quality Tanzanian coffee is derived from a super flavorful type of coffee bean called the peaberry. This rare type of arabica coffee bean is prized for its ability to roast evenly, making it an ideal choice for the home roaster.

ZAMBIA:
Zambian AAA+ coffee beans produce a rich and full-bodied cup of coffee with slight undertones of nuttiness. Zambian AAA+ coffee is great any time of day. Its rich aroma will ease you out of bed in the morning and its sweet flavor undertones will compliment your dessert perfectly.

[Edited 2005-07-25 04:50:33]
¡¡VIVA ESPAÑA!!

MD11junkie

Mon Jul 25, 2005 12:05 pm

Great, thanks for the INFO! Big grin

I'll try the Zambian coffee - just to give Africa another shot.
Kenyan coffee is not that good.

Cheers! wave 

TACAA320

Mon Jul 25, 2005 12:14 pm

Just my personal opinion: when a person taste first quality coffee, no matter where they come from, if such person is not an "expert", he/she can't define if such coffee comes from Colombia, El Salvador, etc. Is like the wine.

First quality products can only be determine where they come from, if you are an expert[professional] in such field.

One example: You're an expert about Scotch. I'm not, but I like it. You can determine which one of the two glasses served is JW Black Label and a similar one [but of another brand] without looking the bottle. I don't.

Regarding the coffee, the one you usually got in public places, is a "blend" of good and regular or bad coffees. But I bet, never ever 100% pure XXXX coffee. Just a guess.

carmenlu15

Wed Jul 27, 2005 1:40 am

I'd think it's a matter of personal taste. For instance, I see many favorable opinions about Starbucks (100% Guatemalan coffee, btw  Wink ), yet there was an Official Starbucks Sucks Thread in Non-Av not too long ago.

This thread reminds me it's time for my coffee break...  coffee  yummy 
Don't expect to see me around that much (if at all) -- the contact link should still work, though.

RCS763AV

Wed Jul 27, 2005 1:55 am

1. AV (Juan Valdez Brand 100% Colombian Coffe Export Type)
2. The rest that serve colombian (IB, AA did in the past)

GHOSTRIDER

Thu Jul 28, 2005 1:53 am

Does anyone agree with me when I say UA and other airlines should be more original than choosing Starbucks? I mean, I like Starbucks and all, but they are really played out. I know that in Houston there are areas where Starbucks are literally across the street from one another, so I really think that they could be more creative when choosing a coffee. There are so many other more unique choices when it comes to coffee, if at least to stand out from everyone else when it comes to that.

I believe Alaska serves Seattle's Best coffee, and I love the idea of espresso machines on board with Alitalia!

Avianca

Thu Jul 28, 2005 6:54 am

no matter AV ...

it´s a shame that LH does not serve any more Juan Valdes on flights... they changed some years to Condor from Peru ... well it´s was just a question of price ... btw you will not find any better than colombian coffee. viva colombia!
Colombia es el Mundo Y el Mundo es Colombia

LipeGIG

Thu Jul 28, 2005 8:23 am

Varig, Varig, Varig !

The very best Gourmet Coffee. In my opinion just fantastic and one of the best in the world (may be the best).
Gourmet Coffees are higher valuable, rare (demands specific conditions in terms of temperature) and at least 4 times much expensive than normal coffee. In Brazil, some areas on Bahia (yes!) are excellent for them!
Note: It's just my opinion!

The worst was American Airlines coffee , terrible !

Felipe
New York + Rio de Janeiro = One of the best combinations !

CXA330300

Thu Jul 28, 2005 8:29 am

Turkish.........yummy.

Worst: American. Dishwasher water.
AC/AA/UA/DL/B6/WN/US*/CO*/FI/BA/IB/AF/SK/LX/Sabena*/TK/LY/SA/MN/SW/AM/CE*/CX/CA/MU/JL/SQ/TG/MH/KA/5J

ArmitageShanks

Thu Jul 28, 2005 10:47 am

Quoting MH017 (Reply 13):
2 airlines have my favourite coffees:

1 - Alitalia
2 - KLM

Agreed, but Delta's coffee gives me a good feeling whenever I smell it.

ACDC8

Thu Jul 28, 2005 1:31 pm

Quoting Avianca (Reply 31):
btw you will not find any better than colombian coffee. viva colombia!

Matter of opinions and tastes my friend. I prefer an African grown bean over a South American.  Smile

[Edited 2005-07-28 06:32:12]

SouthwestMDW

Fri Jul 29, 2005 2:59 am

I like the coffee on United. I hate the coffee on American. Gross! For the reasons stated above.

UA772IAD

Fri Jul 29, 2005 9:05 am

I bet Saudi Arabian has good coffee, even though Arabic coffee is a bit sweeter, I love that stuff. Plus, coffee is a pretty trendy and popular drink in the middle east.

UAalltheway

Fri Jul 29, 2005 9:53 am

I'm with the majority of the majority of people in here...

UA's Starbucks wins my vote hands down.

TACAA320

Fri Jul 29, 2005 10:20 am

Quoting CXA330300 (Reply 33):
Worst: American. Dishwasher water.

Agreed.

aa777jr

Fri Jul 29, 2005 11:11 am

I don't do cafe, but can I get a hot tea on BA please?!

Regards.
A liberal is a man who is right most of the time, but he's right too soon.

UAalltheway

Fri Jul 29, 2005 10:52 pm

Quoting Aa777jr (Reply 40):
I don't do cafe, but can I get a hot tea on BA please?!

Haha I'm partially with you on that one too- I'm also a tea person (depends on what mood i'm in).

But when I was on VS they made their hot tea sooo strong, they did everywhere else too in London- must be a British thing. It was good most of the time, but sometimes.. oy....

TACAA320

Sat Jul 30, 2005 2:48 am

ACDC8

Sat Jul 30, 2005 3:53 am

Quoting TACAA320 (Reply 42):
For those who like tea >>>>>>

I like a cup of tea everyonce in awhile myself, but usually only on shorthaul KL or BA flights. On my longhauls I need coffee!

Thanks for the link TACA, I'll keep an eye out for it over here!  Smile

TACAA320

Thu Aug 11, 2005 2:33 am

Quoting ACDC8 (Reply 43):
Thanks for the link TACA,

You're very welcome!

vatveng

Sat Aug 13, 2005 10:31 pm

None. Coffee =  vomit 

Checo77

Sun Aug 14, 2005 2:43 am

TACAA320,
I must agree that the best coffee is Caffe Britt. When I travel to CR every year, I just cannot miss a visit at their factory in Heredia and buy that big box with 20 coffees for USD55!!!!!! The good thing is that Cafe Britt is now newly exporting its coffee to the Czech Republic, so I can buy it here with no problems, only its a little big more enxpensive than in CR (of course  Smile )
Since Taca serves Cafe Britt, I must vote for them as the best coffee (I flew CCS-SJO with them).
KLM also serves good coffee, since its strong (I think Colombian) and not the "dishwasher" coffee (as someone mentioned before) served by American carriers.
Regards,
Adam
Czech Boeing lover living in Lima

PPVRA

Sun Aug 14, 2005 9:46 am

Most of our coffee is for export, and exports don't always need the best beans. If the coffee beans are going to be in a cheap company's coffee, they don't need to be the best, just cheap.

And we all know that what's really good comes in small amounts and is expensive.

But you can rest assure tht we have good cofee. Hell, is it wasn't for coffee, S. Paulo would only be a little town (or a small city) 500km south of Rio. And definately without the possibility of reaching 30 million pax by the end of this year on both of our main airports (GRU+CGH).

Cheers,
PPVRA
"If goods do not cross borders, soldiers will" - Frederic Bastiat