TupolevTu154
Topic Author

Messiest Cockpits, Your Opinions.

Fri Jul 29, 2005 8:46 pm

Hey Dude's and Dudette's!  Silly

What would you say was the most untidy and complicated cockpit you've ever seen? Would you like to fly in it?

Here's my nomination, the Antonov AN12

http://www.foxalpha.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6570

Cheers, and I look forward to seeing your replies!

Tom Big grin

wrighbrothers

RE: Messiest Cockpits, Your Opinions.

Fri Jul 29, 2005 9:57 pm

The messiest cockpit I've ever seen was when my god farther ( F/E) flew ( well HE didn't FLY it as such but you get what I mean ) a 742 from LHR-JFK in 2001, their were maps and charts , drinks cups and random pieces of paper everywhere , this was only because the aircraft hit HEAVY turbulence and dropped about 200ft , ( auto pilot was off), and I was in the jump seat for take off and landing/approach !!

Happy Flying !!  wave 
Always stand up for what is right, even if it means standing alone..

HAWK21M

Sun Jul 31, 2005 5:19 pm

Probably a Cargo Aircraft  Smile
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

pilotaydin

Sun Jul 31, 2005 6:48 pm

Il-76 Qeshm airlines cargo...holy was that a mess when we were loading it
The only time there is too much fuel onboard, is when you're on fire!

ACDC8

Sun Jul 31, 2005 10:03 pm

The messiest cockpit I've ever seen was in the C172 I was flying (C-GDPD) from YVR-YLW back in 1999. I took my niece with me, and we got into a bit of turbulence over the mountains and she threw-up all over the floor in the plane. Then when we were on approach to RWY33, she felt it necessary to yak again, but this time all over the instrument panel. Now, that was a mess! And the smell, yikes!  Sad
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

OzLAME

Mon Aug 01, 2005 9:30 am

Did you guys even READ the Threadstarter or look at the link?

Quoting TupolevTu154 (Thread starter):
What would you say was the most untidy and complicated cockpit you've ever seen? Would you like to fly in it?

He wants our opinions on the most poorly-laid out cockpits, not the one with the most coffee stains, vomit, or bits of paper.
Many Russian and former Warsaw Pact countries' a/c have cockpits laid out more or less like Western-built a/c. By the look of the photos the AN-12 is not one of them. In the top row of the LH instrument panel from L-R there is an ASI, an Altimeter, an Attitude indicator and (interestingly) a VSI/TCAS II Display, with a second AI below the VSI/TCAS Display. As for the Radio Operator's station, it all looks very archaic, except that there is what looks to be a Bendix/King KT 76C or KT 78 Transponder and an ICOM Commercial-band Transceiver. Of course most types these days don't even have a separate Radio Operator, but I guess with a layout like that you'd need one. It looks to be a good Communist cockpit, with plenty of work for plenty of people  Big grin
I have found that generally, the older the a/c the worse the cockpit layout. Types that spring to mind as being pretty poor are the Cessna 310B, Beech Twin Bonanza and just about anything from WWII I have seen. One more modern type I think would be a bit difficult to fly single-pilot is the Metro II; not that it is poorly laid out as such, just that it is designed for two-pilot ops.
Monty Python's Flying Circus has nothing to do with aviation, except perhaps for Management personnel.

ACDC8

Mon Aug 01, 2005 9:54 am

Quoting OzLAME (Reply 5):
Did you guys even READ the Threadstarter or look at the link?

Yes ....

Quoting TupolevTu154 (Thread starter):
What would you say was the most untidy and complicated cockpit you've ever seen?

Maybe the threadstarter should not have used the word "untidy" or named the thread "Messiest Cockpits".
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut