B742
Topic Author

Best Frequent Flyer Programme In Star Alliance?

Thu Aug 04, 2005 5:23 am

What's the Best Frequent Flyer Programme in Star Alliance?

Thanks

Rob!  Smile

argento

RE: Best Frequent Flyer Programme In Star Alliance

Thu Aug 04, 2005 6:14 am

Varig has an excellent FFP.I am member since 1995.It is the biggest program in Southamerica.
You need less miles for a free ticket from S.A to Europe than LH.It is not difficult to earn miles and redeem, just a phone call,no time in advance(just one day).
But not everything is perfect.The in flight service it is not as good as ten year ago.

goodmanr

Thu Aug 04, 2005 6:20 am

Quoting B742 (Thread starter):
What's the Best Frequent Flyer Programme in Star Alliance?

Thanks

Rob!

They are all more or less the same. I would definitely recommend accumulating miles on whoever you fly the most, as some elite benifits, like upgrades, aren't available alliance-wide.

US has a pretty good program, I fly US a lot, the program is good, lots of opportunities to earn bonus miles and you get companion upgrades at any level.

UA gives you an economy plus seat, but anyone silver or gold in star gets this. UA also lets preferred members redeem miles for hotels, which I'm not sure anyone else does.

I'm not too familiar with the programs outside the US, but I'd guess they're all pretty similar, the award levels are the same except for some short-haul off-season routes.
USAirways - Chairmans Gold

B742
Topic Author

Thu Aug 04, 2005 6:22 am

Thanks, I have now joined US!

Rob!  Smile

goodmanr

Thu Aug 04, 2005 6:25 am

Quoting B742 (Reply 3):
Thanks, I have now joined US!

Rob!

Enjoy! Now, if only they had a better website!
USAirways - Chairmans Gold

ZKOJH

Thu Aug 04, 2005 9:52 am

well i was with BD- but since there turn around to a LCC on the 1st Aug, i've switched to NZ,
Vietnam time..

fbgdavidson

Thu Aug 04, 2005 6:13 pm

Depends on your travel plans....BD was very good if only for perilously low Silver & Gold thresholds (16k and 38k miles) and the part miles, part cash programme. You can also get 20,000 miles for free just by getting the bmi Mastercard and since it is MBNA issued you only need a pulse to get approved.

I've now redeemed all but 12k miles in BD and am creditting *A flying to Lufthansa, a good FFP for premium travel.
"My first job was selling doors, door to door, that's a tough job innit" - Bill Bailey