macc

Aviation Movies: Whats Worse?

Sun Aug 07, 2005 6:23 am

just seen parts of airspeed:

13 yr. old girls lands 727.

remember one movie, with a bit too many catastrophies: fire in cargo hold, loose evil dog in cargo hold, only mobile phone in cargo hold. and if i am not much mistaken, some toxic stuff too.

now, what are your favourites for the goddam worst aviation movies?

and the cactus goes to:
I exchanged political frustration with sexual boredom. better spoil a girl than the world

GHOSTRIDER

RE: Aviation Movies: Whats Worse?

Mon Aug 08, 2005 6:25 am

Charlton Heston being tethered into a hole in the cockpit of a 747 while its going 185???

From Airport 75

jeffry747

Mon Aug 08, 2005 8:59 am

Quoting GhostRider (Reply 1):
Charlton Heston being tethered into a hole in the cockpit of a 747 while its going 185???

Not to mention the aircraft landing just fine with everything functioning properly, yet still not able to stop on the runway at SLC. And before that they HAD to fly through the mountains with a severe fuel leak? Where was the "nearest suitable airport"? I love how, in the interest of drama, the flight has one problem after another, after another. It gets to the point where the realism gets thrown out the window. Despite these movies, I get them anyway, simply cuz I am an airplane nut.

But this one really got me: Air Force One. Good movie, except for some minor details. How is it that characters were able to stand up in the lower holds with plenty of head room? Everytime I have been in those same holds I had to bend my head down quite a bit, and I am only 5' 10". One of the great things about airplane movies is that us airplane nuts can nitpick every little detail while others are clueless.

Airport 1977 and 79 were also extremely cheesy yet fun to watch.
C'mon Big B, FLY!

eaglekeeper101

Mon Aug 08, 2005 10:44 am

Don't forget "Interceptor."

I found this "movie" amusing. Where else will you see a C-5 with approximately as much interior space as Lambeau Field? Or experience watching the bad guys covertly entering the C-5 through an air-refuelling boom (or was it the good guys? - hard to keep track, you know). How about those "folding wings" on the F-117, and how they can be opened whilst in freefall after the jet gets dumped out the back of the C-5...while inflight!

Movies like this make the "Airport" movies seem quite believable, as well as entertaining  Wink

Hell, this movie makes Santa Claus seem believable.
"The earth is but one country, and mankind its citizens." - Bahá'u'lláh

AsstChiefMark

Mon Aug 08, 2005 10:54 am

Con Air.

What a fake piece of shit. It's as realistic as a Donald Duck cartoon. It was so bad that I've never watched a Nicholas Cage movie since. Any actor that would willingly agree to participate in deceiving the public as bad as that doesn't deserve to be called a "serious actor."

Mark
Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

AirRyan

Mon Aug 08, 2005 10:54 am

Iron Eagle - nuff said!  laughing 

efohdee

Mon Aug 08, 2005 12:50 pm

The whole LAX series. And that one movie of a 747 or something over LA and they wanted to shoot it down? Fug the media. No wonder why people are scared of flying.

Espion007

Mon Aug 08, 2005 1:36 pm

Hypersonic. it was such bullshit and the 3d models of the aircraft looked like it was done by a 13 year old in gmax.

Ive got to see airspeed again. I saw it when i was younger and thought it wasnt bull.
Snakes on a Plane!

AGM114L

Mon Aug 08, 2005 1:55 pm

Quoting AsstChiefMark (Reply 4):
Con Air.

What a fake piece of shit. It's as realistic as a Donald Duck cartoon. It was so bad that I've never watched a Nicholas Cage movie since. Any actor that would willingly agree to participate in deceiving the public as bad as that doesn't deserve to be called a "serious actor."

'Firebirds' may change your opinion. By the way "I am the GREATEST."
My Boeing can blow up your Boeing

AirWillie6475

Mon Aug 08, 2005 3:25 pm

One of the worst ones is Executive Decision starring kurt russel where terrorists takeover a plane and plan to crash it in Wash D.C. First of all I loved how unrealistic the atmosphere in the cabin was. I mean there were terrorists patrolling the cabin with guns and the passengers were reading newspapers and sleeping like nothing was happening. Also all the B.S happens at the end when after killing all the terrorists Kurt tries to land the plane at Dulles. Convieneitfly enough after breaking through the clouds the runway magically appears straight ahead AND in the perfect glide slope too. Kurt manages to stall the airplane and yet he still is in good glide slope. After not being able too land because he overshoots the runway. He tries to land at a local airfield which he remembered when living in D.C and that field too MAGICALLY appears in front of plane also. The movie producers have no idea about what they are doing.

alphafloor

Mon Aug 08, 2005 7:00 pm

Quoting Efohdee (Reply 6):
The whole LAX series

Yeah these series really sucks ! What big pile of sh*t ! Deception.

Alphafloor
Whatever

EurofleetLHR

Mon Aug 08, 2005 9:07 pm

Has to be "Airport '80 - the Concorde"

After being put through all aerodynamic feats, the beast lands in a snowdrift, the pressure of a few inches of the white stuff caused the ceiling of the fuselage to collapse - hilarious !

777DadandJr

Mon Aug 08, 2005 11:32 pm

Quoting Macc (Thread starter):
just seen parts of airspeed:

13 yr. old girls lands 727.

Macc, you are right on this one. I had the displeasure of sitting through 2 hours of this celluloid bile, til I almost couldn't stand it.  vomit 
This movie mad Airport 77 look like a 1st person documentary!
But hey, wasn't it produced by Lifetime?
Not only does this terrified 13 year old Barbi land the plane, but if you recall, it had a big freakin hole in the side of the fusalage.
And, oh, BTW, when was the last time you saw a KC135 Stratotanker with a rear opening cargo door?  crazy 
Also, in one of the more "believable" scenes, didn't they try a mid-air transfer, by having some guy tether over and grab onto the landing gear? I remember thinking, "that's the way I'd do it."  sarcastic 

This film was such a load of horsesh*t. The only redeeming thing about it, is that now I can rave about it on A.net!  rotfl 

Russ
My glass is neither 1/2 empty nor 1/2 full, rather, the glass itself is twice as big as it should be.

Espion007

Tue Aug 09, 2005 12:30 am

Quoting AirWillie6475 (Reply 9):
He tries to land at a local airfield which he remembered when living in D.C and that field too MAGICALLY appears in front of plane also. The movie producers have no idea about what they are doing.

yeah its so easy to land a 747 at say Montgomery co. or the college park field or that one in fredrick county Big grin
Snakes on a Plane!

BCAL

Tue Aug 09, 2005 1:13 am

Quoting EurofleetLHR (Reply 11):
"Airport '80 - the Concorde"

I agree. I seem to recall a scene in this awful film when co-pilot George Kennedy opened the cockpit window, whilst the plane was at cruise altitude and pressurrised, and put his arm outside to fire a flare or something at the intruder. If he had managed to open the window (impossible) and put his arm outside, it would probably have been pulled from its socket!

Another appalling aviation movie was Die Hard 2 - Die Harder. Come to think of it any film by its director, Renny Harlin, is appallingly bad.
MOL on SRB's latest attack at BA: "It's like a little Chihuahua barking at a dying Labrador. Nobody cares."

FLYiCRJ

Tue Aug 09, 2005 2:07 am

One of the worst ones is Executive Decision starring kurt russel where terrorists takeover a plane and plan to crash it in Wash D.C. First of all I loved how unrealistic the atmosphere in the cabin was. I mean there were terrorists patrolling the cabin with guns and the passengers were reading newspapers and sleeping like nothing was happening. Also all the B.S happens at the end when after killing all the terrorists Kurt tries to land the plane at Dulles

I agree...Executive Decision is one of the worst Aviation Movies ever!!!

777DadandJr

Tue Aug 09, 2005 2:25 am

Quoting FLYiCRJ (Reply 15):
I agree...Executive Decision is one of the worst Aviation Movies ever!!!

I would agree with you, however, to it's credit, at least most of the in flight exterior shots of the Oceanic 747 looked real. (or at the very least, better quality than many other films)

Russ
My glass is neither 1/2 empty nor 1/2 full, rather, the glass itself is twice as big as it should be.

trekster

Tue Aug 09, 2005 2:48 am

Quoting BCAL (Reply 14):
Another appalling aviation movie was Die Hard 2 - Die Harder. Come to think of it any film by its director, Renny Harlin, is appallingly bad

I hate wathcing that film, the crash scene of that Air Windsor flt annoys me like nothing else

Its on fumes, impacts the ground hard, and explodes into such a fireball, you would think it had just taken off with a full load.

The most that would happen is wheels buckle or something.

And shoul the pilots not have been in a sorta nose up, not like they were in the film

ANNOYING
Where does the time go???

leigh pilgrim

Tue Aug 09, 2005 3:35 am

Guys,

They are just 'FILMS'..........not real, personally I love them, make me laugh, especially die Hard 2, brilliant ending,

dont take things too serously, makes me wonder what its like to watch an Aviation movie with some of you there!......'ooh that would'nt happen, oh no, too low flaps'...........

skywatch

Tue Aug 09, 2005 4:34 am

I was watching the beginning of one movie(I don't know which one) and it showed the cockpit of a 744. What amazed me was that the guy was messing with the autopilot, and he hit more than one switch to engage everything! Usually, there is just this one big button that says "Autopilot". As far as the most realistic aviation movies go, I would suggest checking out..........

www.justplanes.com! Big grin Big grin Big grin

---Skywatch
------Forever Watchin' The Sky------

Skymonster

Tue Aug 09, 2005 5:05 am

"Pushing Tin" is pretty dreadful!
There are old pilots and there are bold pilots, but there are no old bold pilots

PanAm747

Wed Aug 10, 2005 2:24 am

It's actually "Airport '79 - The Concorde" - but I agree, it was the worst of the bunch.

Airport '75 - the star of that movie (as far as I'm concerned) was N9675 on loan from American Airlines. This plane is still flying with UPS as N675UP today!

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Anthony Cheng - HKAEC
View Large View Medium

Photo © K.L.Yim

This was the first of many of the cheesiest bad airplane movies ever made...Airport '77 (crashing and sinking in the ocean with the survivors trapped inside) was laughable, and '79 was painful. "SST-Death Flight" was SO bad (a Love Boat D-list celebrity tragedy in the skies) that it had to have been the inspiration for our beloved "Airplane!"

By far and away, however, the most egregious offender has to have been "Die Hard 2". From the "Pacific Bell" visible on the pay phones at Dulles airport to Bruce Willis calling Bonnie Bedilia on the airplane in flight to the crash landing and nuclear-level explosion of a plane out of fuel to every airplane unable to divert to ANY airport in North America, the movie was inaccurate to the point that the ENTIRE audience I saw the movie with was laughing and heckling.  vomit 
Pan Am:The World's Most Experienced Airline - P(oor) S(ailor's) A(irline): San Diego's Hometown Airline-Catch Our Smile!

NightHawk117

Wed Aug 10, 2005 1:07 pm

One of the worst ones is Executive Decision starring kurt russel where terrorists takeover a plane and plan to crash it in Wash D.C. First of all I loved how unrealistic the atmosphere in the cabin was. I mean there were terrorists patrolling the cabin with guns and the passengers were reading newspapers and sleeping like nothing was happening. Also all the B.S happens at the end when after killing all the terrorists Kurt tries to land the plane at Dulles. Convieneitfly enough after breaking through the clouds the runway magically appears straight ahead AND in the perfect glide slope too. Kurt manages to stall the airplane and yet he still is in good glide slope. After not being able too land because he overshoots the runway. He tries to land at a local airfield which he remembered when living in D.C and that field too MAGICALLY appears in front of plane also. The movie producers have no idea about what they are doing.

That movie gets my vote, also.

Why?...the 'modified' F-117 vomit 
Team Stealth...when it absolutely, positively HAS to be taken out overnight!

macc

Wed Aug 10, 2005 10:57 pm

anyone of you remembers the one i mentioned above?

for any reason the hero has to go down to the cargo hold (i believe to fetch a mobile). there is a dog and a car down there. the car gets loose, breaks the cage of the dog, the dog gets loose, and while they have a fight, the fuel of the car spills and gets ignitted. and this all is just a 10 miutes episode of the whole f...g bullshit.

about die hard 2:
i love the logic behind out of fuel situation and a huge fire ball. but the best is that nothing happens afterwards. one should guess after a crash the hell gets loose on an airport. just a view firefighters.

however, i love the die hard series and bruce willis is still the best sufferer on earth.
I exchanged political frustration with sexual boredom. better spoil a girl than the world

GHOSTRIDER

Thu Aug 11, 2005 1:46 am

Quoting Leigh Pilgrim (Reply 18):
They are just 'FILMS'..........not real, personally I love them, make me laugh

LOL, very true, they are simply for our entertainment and imagination.....since when are any movies that close to reality? Take a look at anything Oliver Stone has gotten his hands on.... rotfl 

SDLSimme

Thu Aug 11, 2005 9:45 pm

I can't remember the name of the movie but it was about a group of terrorists taking control of a plane (isn't it always?) and a rescue team who try to take it back. I remember that the guy who played the hero was called Ice T or Ice Cube. There was one scene where the main terroist was hanging out through the door of the 747 while at cruising altitude and cruising speed. And he was hanging there for a while. It made me laugh  Smile
A319-A321, A332-A333, RJ85, B733-B738, B743-B744, B752, B762-B764, B772-B773, CRJ200-CRJ700, Dash 8 Q300-Q400, ERJ 145,

flyfisher1976

Thu Aug 11, 2005 10:09 pm

Quoting Skymonster (Reply 20):
"Pushing Tin" is pretty dreadful!

I had to turn it off...absolutely terrible.

scamp

Mon Aug 15, 2005 10:09 am

That one (I forget the name) with Ray Liotta as a psycho killer stalking the flight attendant on a transcon 747. I remember laughing my ass off when the landing gear went through the roof top restaurant of a hotel and remained attached to the fuselage.
If it pisses off the right, I'm all for it.

hz747300

Mon Aug 15, 2005 11:14 am

Not really an aviation movie, but I found it funny in Eurotrip when they are trying to get to Berlin, but have to go to London, the interior of the plane looks amazingly similar to that of Lufthansa.

For aviation movies, the worst has to be the cartoon ending to Air Farce One. By the end, I was hoping that the Russian hijacker would do us all a favor and crash the plane thereby ending the movie early.
Keep on truckin'...

san747

Mon Aug 15, 2005 11:37 am

Quoting HZ747300 (Reply 28):
Not really an aviation movie, but I found it funny in Eurotrip when they are trying to get to Berlin, but have to go to London, the interior of the plane looks amazingly similar to that of Lufthansa.

Yea, I noticed that, and also, when the plane takes off, its stock footage of an L-1011/DC-10, but at cruise, it's magically turned into a 767-300! Besides that, the movie is kicks ass...
Scotty doesn't know...

AFHokie

Mon Aug 15, 2005 9:47 pm

Quoting Scamp (Reply 27):
That one (I forget the name) with Ray Liotta as a psycho killer stalking the flight attendant on a transcon 747. I remember laughing my ass off when the landing gear went through the roof top restaurant of a hotel and remained attached to the fuselage

wasn't that movie turbulence?

777DadandJr

Mon Aug 15, 2005 10:49 pm

Quoting AFHokie (Reply 30):
wasn't that movie turbulence?

Yes, it was, starring Lauren Holly and Ray Liotta.

What a joke this one was. Not only did the landing gear crash through the resturant, but also a parking deck, where by, picking up a truck along the way.
So then this stricken 747, with a delivery truck attached to the MLG, manages to fly out over the ocean, turn 180 degrees to make another approach. Then, this F-16 swoops in behind the 747 and fires a missle, knocking the truck loose from the landing gear (yet not harming the landing gear in any way) and our distressed heroine Lauren brings this big bird smoothly to the ground using auto land. And they lived happily ever after. All was right with the world.  rotfl   vomit 

Russ

levg79

Fri Aug 19, 2005 8:45 am

Quoting Jeffry747 (Reply 2):
the flight has one problem after another, after another. It gets to the point where the realism gets thrown out the window

I'd have to agree Airport 79 is definitely over dramatized. But hey, if it wasn't for that film along with Airport 75, we probably wouldn't get Airplane.

And how about "Catch Me If You Can".....
--Look, there's LaGuardia, Runway 44.
A mile of runway takes you to the world. A mile of highway takes you a mile.

N200WN

Sat Aug 20, 2005 2:42 pm

Anyone remember this one? "Horror at 37,000 Feet" from the early 70's.

PipoA380

Sat Aug 20, 2005 8:00 pm

Quoting 777DadandJr (Reply 16):
to it's credit, at least most of the in flight exterior shots of the Oceanic 747 looked real

View Large View Medium

Photo © Tobias lutterodt

That helps! They used a real 747  Wink Yes Executive Decision is not realistic. But hey, it's a movie, just like when cars runs into a wall and.... BOOM! Nothing is real, because it if was, it would be no fun. Maybe we just look too much into the details. Keep in mind that in movies, not only airplanes are wrong. Everything is fake...

By the way, there's a movie that is going to be out soon about a mother and her son in a plane (which by the way seems to be the A380), thriller kinda movie, might be nice. Any info on that one?
It's not about AIRBUS. it's not about BOEING. It's all about the beauty of FLYING.

andz

Sun Aug 21, 2005 6:30 am

Passenger 57 is on TV right now, nice L-1011 but that's about as far as it goes! Having said that I am watching it for the umpteenth time! Wesley Snipes is about to jump out as it lands! LOL
After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...

Newark777

Sun Aug 21, 2005 7:31 am

By the way, there's a movie that is going to be out soon about a mother and her son in a plane (which by the way seems to be the A380), thriller kinda movie, might be nice. Any info on that one?

Stars Jodie Foster:
http://imdb.com/title/tt0408790/

Harry
Why grab a Heine when you can grab a Busch?

kilavoud

Sun Aug 21, 2005 8:23 pm

I like the way the swines are jumping down the 747-400 in
Mission Impossible 2.  hyper  I would like to try it once  yummy  Is it possible on 777-200 ?

Cheers. Kilavoud.

mygind66

Sun Aug 21, 2005 9:50 pm

Quoting 777DadandJr (Reply 31):
Then, this F-16 swoops in behind the 747 and fires a missle, knocking the truck loose from the landing gear (yet not harming the landing gear in any way) and our distressed heroine Lauren brings this big bird smoothly to the ground using auto land. And they lived happily ever after. All was right with the world

I agree 100%
Hilarious!!

Enrique

samair

Mon Aug 22, 2005 4:21 am

Re executive Decision there is actually another film with an ocaenic a/c in but I've forgot the name could anybody shed any light on this?
the captain has now dimmed the lights for take off this is a routine procedure for flights during the hours of darkness!

Doona

Mon Aug 22, 2005 6:50 am

Quoting Scamp (Reply 27):
That one (I forget the name) with Ray Liotta as a psycho killer stalking the flight attendant on a transcon 747. I remember laughing my ass off when the landing gear went through the roof top restaurant of a hotel and remained attached to the fuselage.

There's actually a whole series of "Turbulence" films. Turbulence 1, the one with Ray Liotta, I kinda liked it, but the others suck a really big... well something.

One thing to their credit, they managed to actually paint a 747-300 in the Transcon C/S, which they also got some take-off shots for the second movie. The fact that they used these very same shots in movies 3 and 4 should also be observed.

Cheers
Mats
Sure, we're concerned for our lives. Just not as concerned as saving 9 bucks on a roundtrip to Ft. Myers.

777DadandJr

Mon Aug 22, 2005 7:28 am

Quoting Samair (Reply 39):
Re executive Decision there is actually another film with an ocaenic a/c in but I've forgot the name could anybody shed any light on this?

The other movie featuring the "Oceanic 747" I believe was called "Nowhere to Land."
It was a Lifetime produced movie starring Christine Elise(from 90210) and Jack Wagner (Melrose Place) (Isn't that ironic)

Tragedy in the ski, with some sort of chemical bomb on board. It looked like they took all the airborne and landing sequences from Executive Decision and wrapped another story around it. Kinda lame, but hey, it's Lifetime.

Russ

ACdreamliner

Mon Aug 22, 2005 8:06 am

In terms of 'pushing tin', i do like the opening scene with the Air Canada plane flying past the twin towers. Reminds you of better times...
Where are you going?

PipoA380

Mon Aug 22, 2005 9:06 am

Quoting Samair (Reply 39):

The series "Lost" also uses the company "Oceanic". In fact that name is registered to be an "airline to crash". It is used in several movies.

Films and television shows featuring Oceanic Airlines

* Executive Decision -- Oceanic Flight 343 from Athens to Dulles, Virginia was hijacked by terrorists.
* Panic in the Skies
* Nowhere to Land
* Lost -- Oceanic Flight 815 from Sydney to Los Angeles disintegrated at a low altitude over the Pacific Ocean after drifting thousands of miles off course. At least 48 passengers survived the crash. It should be noted that a tie-in website created by Lost's producers showed Oceanic as going out of business.
* Code 11-14
* Alias: Oceanic is briefly mentioned in an announcement in the Sydney airport, which is where the Oceanic flight in Lost originated. This may indicate a shared continuity between these two series (both created by J.J. Abrams)
* JAG: Uses stock footage featuring Oceanic Flight 343 in the episodes "Vanished" and "The Bridge at Kang So Ri"
* Category 6: Day of Destruction
* After the Sunset, according to the trailer.
* LAX (TV series), advertisements and computers in terminals in the LAX feature the Oceanic Airlines name in the episode Senator's Daughter.
* Diagnosis Murder, the Boeing 747 used with the route from LAX to Switzerland in the episode "Murder in the Air".

source: wikipedia
It's not about AIRBUS. it's not about BOEING. It's all about the beauty of FLYING.

PipoA380

Mon Aug 22, 2005 9:11 am

Quoting PipoA380 (Reply 43):
It should be noted that a tie-in website created by Lost's producers showed Oceanic as going out of business.

You might want to check www.oceanic-air.com for that  Wink

PanAm747

Tue Aug 23, 2005 1:18 am

I remember "The Horror At 37,000 Feet". Absolutely comical.

As I recall, William Shatner received top billing. Also starred France Nguyen (who was the Dohlman of Elaas in an episode of "Star Trek") and the man who played the professor on "Gilligan's Island".

The movie opened with a young flight attendant receiving word that there would only be a handful of people on this flight, so everyone would be flying "up front". She turns off all the lights on the lower passenger compartment of the 747 (REALLY giving an idea of the size of that plane!!). So much so, in fact, that they are able to show the opening credits during this time.

The movie goes downhill from there...a man is removing stones from a Druid sanctuary (no names are mentioned, but Stongehenge is what we're all thinking) on the Summer Solstice. And wouldn't you know? His wife, Sheila, is a descendant of the priests.

The evil spirits start to come out of the cargo. First, they freeze a German Shepard, then the flight engineer (the professor), then they start to slowly stalk the other passengers. Debate rages as to sacrificing Sheila. William Shatner takes the cake as the bitter defrocked holy man of some sort who unmasks the evil.

By far the most laughable portion of the film involves the airplane coming a dead stop in the air. Apparently, no matter which way they turn, the headwinds slow them to a dead stop. The only way they survive is to fly up to a certain height (everything else on the plane amazingly still works) to meet the sunrise.

Laughably bad.
Pan Am:The World's Most Experienced Airline - P(oor) S(ailor's) A(irline): San Diego's Hometown Airline-Catch Our Smile!

scamp

Tue Aug 23, 2005 7:35 am

Quoting Newark777 (Reply 36):

FWIW, mother and daughter...and it's called 'Flightplan.'
If it pisses off the right, I'm all for it.

andz

Wed Aug 24, 2005 3:58 am

In "Drop Zone" as the plane takes off from MIA there is an SAA 744 taxiing next to the runway, that was about the best part of the movie!
After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...

HorizonGirl

Wed Aug 24, 2005 8:55 am

Quoting Efohdee (Reply 6):
The whole LAX series.

Hey I watched that, just to see how stupid they would
let it get before it got cancelled!
How can two people be on cell phones and end their conversations
at the same time on the dot?
Not likely!

Devon
Flying high on the Wings of the Great Northwest!