Adam727
Topic Author

What Are The Best Seats On A 747?

Thu Aug 11, 2005 2:14 pm

For those luky ones that have been on a747 already, I was wondering where the best seat is in any class. I am also saving up for an international 747 flight. The seats on the upper deck are they restricted to the freiquent flyers. because that is where I think I would like to sit

Any info would help

wilco737

RE: What Are The Best Seats On A 747?

Thu Aug 11, 2005 2:53 pm

Hi Adam,

I was sitting in Y class row 30, which is above the wing, pretty nice, but nothing to see from the ground.

THen I have been row 15, which is C class and rather nice! Free view to the groud and a bit from the wing! Nice seat! Then I have been row 11, better view but hard to see the wing. My other flights on the 744 were all somewhere in these rows in C Class, which I really liked!

But I guess best place is on the upper deck, but at LH there is only the F Class, and I didnt try it yet.

No, BEST place is in the cockpit of a 744  Wink

WILCO737
 airplane 

Lionel

Thu Aug 11, 2005 4:59 pm

This are the best seats in a 747!

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Sam Chui

If that doesn't count I like the upper deck seats. Feals like in a business jet!

fbgdavidson

Thu Aug 11, 2005 6:40 pm

Either up here for upper deck

MyAviation.net photo:
Click here for bigger photo!
Photo © Fraser Davidson

Or SQ First cabin, seat 1B
"My first job was selling doors, door to door, that's a tough job innit" - Bill Bailey

ClassicLover

Thu Aug 11, 2005 6:45 pm

Upper Deck Business Class seats 16A and 16K on Qantas. Really very nice exit row seats (there's about 6 feet of legroom!), and the PTV is in your armrest rather than on the seat in front. Exceptional!

I'll be taking fbgdavidson's advice from a trip report for my upcoming LHR-LAX in Club World seat selection, if I am lucky enough to get it!

Trent.
I do quite enjoy a spot of flying - more so when it's not in Economy!

BA380

Thu Aug 11, 2005 7:03 pm

Surely the nosecone for most airlines... I would like 5K on BA. Has the most space beside it on the 'shelf' because of the way it is angled.
cabin crew: doors to automatic and cross-check...

EurofleetLHR

Thu Aug 11, 2005 11:13 pm

All depends on which class & which airline you are using - they all look as different inside as they do outside with all the liveries !!!

Most airlines use the Upper Deck for First or Business Class - they are not restricted to frequent fliers - they just grab them quicker as they prefer them!
(though a few airlines have Premium Economy upstairs - eg Virgin Atlantic, and Air New Zealand will do shortly).

If you are travelling in Economy, most airlines have seats with extra legroom by the exits over the wing - it does restrict the view, but the legroom is fantastic.
Bulkhead seats can sometimes be a myth when it comes to extra legroom - true, you don't get anyone reclining a seat in front of you, but if you have really long legs, it is worse than a normal seat (nowhere to stretch your legs forward). Also, you run a very high risk of being seated next to a passenger with a baby- and no-ne, not even the parent, will know in advance how junior is likely to behave on the flight!
Right at the back of the 'plane, there are usually just 2 seats by the window instead of 3 - one less person to climb over if you want a window seat ! The drawbacks here are... it's noisier at the further back you sit, it can be slightly bumpier, and there will be a never ending line for the washrooms in the aisle. On the plus side, if the flight has a low load factor, it is more likely to be emptier the further back you sit.

If you are travelling in Business Class, the bulkhead seats usually have the same amount of legroom - except if they are upstairs and by the exit, where they have more legroom than anywhere other seat!

If you travel in First, then most airlne seats are identical - any one of them is excellent! Try the front row, you are the furthest forward than anyone else on the 'plane, so you will be first to get there !!!!!!

kykevin54

Thu Aug 11, 2005 11:16 pm

I love the nosecone as well. It's super quiet and you know that the plane is something special when you're sitting where the cockpit would normally be. For me, the nosecone wins with the upper deck coming in a close second.

Coach sucks no matter where you sit or what plane your on. It's exciting at first, knowing that you're on a 744, but it only takes about ten minutes to realize that you're crammed in like animals and that the next thirteen hours will be very uncomfortable. I've flown to Asia a few times in coach and my last trip was in first class. I'll take a second mortgage out on my house to pay the extra cost before I ever do that long haul sector in coach again.

The 747 is a really neat plane. I've flown on them several times, whether it's a 100 series or a 400, they're just amazing aircraft. Have fun on you're trip and I hope you get a great seat!

Boeing Nut

Fri Aug 12, 2005 4:50 am

Lionel beat me to it!

I was going to say, through the cockpit door, to the left!  bigthumbsup 
I'm not a real aeronautical engineer, I just play one on Airliners.net.

fbgdavidson

Fri Aug 12, 2005 4:56 am

Quoting BA380 (Reply 5):
Surely the nosecone for most airlines... I would like 5K on BA. Has the most space beside it on the 'shelf' because of the way it is angled.

But has the most cabin noise, especially on red-eyes when breakfast is being prepped...The nosecone is especially quiet though...undercarriage retraction  Wink

On BA in First my preference is 2A although the 1A/1K effect is pretty nifty, despite the rather stark contrast of walnut effect and white plastic!

"My first job was selling doors, door to door, that's a tough job innit" - Bill Bailey

ClassicLover

Fri Aug 12, 2005 8:26 pm

Not had the pleasure of flying First yet... though I plan on burning 45,000 points to upgrade from J to F on LAX-SYD in March. Cross fingers I get the upgrade (I'll be QF Gold, so I should have a good chance!)

Trent.
I do quite enjoy a spot of flying - more so when it's not in Economy!

comorin

Sun Aug 14, 2005 8:03 am

Quoting Adam727 (Thread starter):

I've been on just about every seat in a 747, and you should look up seat plans on seatguru.com for your specific flight.

However, some points to note:

First of all , the upper deck is not restricted to FFs, it's like any other section, just happens to be mostly J and sometimes F class.

If you fly F, sit all the way up front (1A/K) in the nosecone, it feels really unique. The crunch of the landing gear retracting on take off is also a real treat!

If flying biz class, get upstairs, makes a big difference. If its a 747-200, then its small and clubby.

In Economy, its not as bad as it sounds. There are plenty of odd seats with a lot of space around them, even far back (51-53 on BA). For a truly 'first class' experience, 3 or 4 empty seats across can't be beat.

If you love flying, I would go for any window seat, and enjoy the view outside. However, I've also flown in the middle seat on a 10-hour flight, and it's not as bad as it sounds.

Some other tips - AI has a combi flight where you can sit up front in economy. Some airlines may still have economy on the upper deck.

There is something to be said for sitting in the noisiest part of the plane, and enjoying all the grunts and groans of the magnificent beast that the 747 is!

Bon Voyage!

bushpilot

Sun Aug 14, 2005 3:19 pm

I flew coach on coach on the upper deck on an Air Pacific flight LAX-NDI-SYD and it was very nice. Quiet, the service was good and the view awesome. Nothing like taking off from three stories up, but the touchdown was more impressive. Looking out the window on touchdown from that far up is incredible. I have flown in all parts of 747s except the nose cone and enjoyed them all, if you cant get the upper deck shoot for a window at the least and an exit row at best! Enjoy the ride

andz

Sun Aug 14, 2005 8:24 pm

SAA 744s have Y in upper deck and it is great, the seat pitch is 34" against 31" on the main deck, the storage bins along the windows are handy and double as a legrest, service is better, flight is quieter, great ride!
After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...

wrighbrothers

Sun Aug 14, 2005 9:00 pm

Quoting Fbgdavidson (Reply 9):
On BA in First my preference is 2A although the 1A/1K effect is pretty nifty, despite the rather stark contrast of walnut effect and white plastic!

Yep same here , I prefer 1A/1K than 2A/K , 1A/K just sounds better !

On BA
First class- 1A and 1K or 2A and 2K
Club World- 62A or 62K ( upper deck)
World traveler PLUS - 28B or 28J
World Traveler- 33A-J , 40A-G , 51/52B and 51/52J
Although saying that , if you don't particularly care, anything with a window is good.

Happy Flying !!  wave 
Always stand up for what is right, even if it means standing alone..

fbgdavidson

Sun Aug 14, 2005 9:21 pm

Quoting Wrighbrothers (Reply 14):
On BA
First class- 1A and 1K or 2A and 2K
Club World- 62A or 62K ( upper deck)
World traveler PLUS - 28B or 28J

thumbsup  Good choices! Although the 28B/28J option is dependent on which config of 747 you have. 64K upstairs is another great option thanks to the real privacy it offers.

ren41

Mon Aug 15, 2005 7:15 am

A few weeks ago on a BA 744 (G-CIVR) BOS-LHR flight I sat in seat 52J and I was able to stretch out my legs completely with the missing seat in front of me. It was definately the best Y seat I have ever had. Not only is the legroom great, but you feel a lot less cramped with the open space all around you. If you can't score an exit row, definately go for a window at the back of the plane.

http://www.seatguru.com/

R41