geoffm

List By Destination Or Departure Time?

Fri Aug 19, 2005 1:41 am

I noticed that EWR airport (and possibly other US airports) lists departures by destination rather than by departure time, which seems more common.

Anybody have any thoughts on this? Personally I find it a little confusing though I guess you could get used to it.

Geoff M.

sk601

RE: List By Destination Or Departure Time?

Fri Aug 19, 2005 2:09 am

I prefer listing by destination. Especially when you are in transfer it's easier to find your flight on the screen when listed alphabetically by destination then by departure time. Due to time differences and the fact that you can be tired, I tend to "forget" my departure time or confuse it with boarding time, whereas you always know where you are going.

ExPedia

Mon Aug 22, 2005 2:19 am

I think the rationale there is to have consistency with arrival and departure display - and often people picking up arriving pax don't know the flight number or exact time the inbound machine is coming in, but always know where they pax are coming from. So this makes it easier for them, and as a result, for consistency, the departure list works the same way.
-- ExPedia

Doona

Mon Aug 22, 2005 6:28 am

As far as I've experienced, most major US airports do this. I suppose the purpose is to easier let people find their flight.

I can see how this might work, but I annoys me so when I get of a transatlantic flight in the US, all disoriented and tired, and try to find my connecting flight, look at a screen where I can see one or two flight departing around the same time as my own, and only see flight to New Orleans! And then, of course, it dawns on me, and I feel stupid.

I much prefer the European (And rest of the world's, I might add  banghead  ) way of doing it.

Cheers
Mats
Sure, we're concerned for our lives. Just not as concerned as saving 9 bucks on a roundtrip to Ft. Myers.

EDDM

Mon Aug 22, 2005 6:57 am

Hmm, never heard of this before. I think it's a great idea, though. Passengers don't need a list sorted by departure time anyway. Who cares what other flights will be leaving at the same time as the flight I'm on?

sw733

Tue Aug 23, 2005 11:19 am

My two most travelled airports, MDW and MCI, do things differently (if I remember correctly). MCI does it by time, and MDW by destination. I much prefer doing it by destination.

Venezuela747

Tue Aug 23, 2005 4:29 pm

I prefer by city....that way people do not get confused if flight gets delayed then they won't know which one is which...and unlike us most traveler just go to the gate that has their city on the screen and do not check if it is the correct flight number until they are standing in line waiting to board

Most people are able to remember what city they are going to instead of their actual departure time
ROLL TIDE!!!

EDDM

Tue Aug 23, 2005 6:49 pm

Quoting Venezuela747 (Reply 6):
Most people are able to remember what city they are going to instead of their actual departure time

Definitely.

UN_B732

Mon Aug 29, 2005 4:26 am

Destination for me, I agree.. I used it in IAD was far easier to find Burlington VT then list through the flights going at 4:45pm
-Mr. X
What now?

exFATboy

Mon Sep 05, 2005 5:49 am

Destination's definitely the better way to do it, especially for boards that show more than one airline's flights. Can't recall ever having seen a board in the US that was by time, at least not in the last decade or so.

MarshalN

Mon Sep 05, 2005 11:41 am

I think destination makes more sense especially in the old days, when you'll book a later flight and get to the airport early and try to hop on an earlier one. This way you know what's ahead and can ask about them, whereas trying to look for a flight that goes to the same destination on the same airline but sorted by time can be nearly impossible at a busy airport.