glidepath73

How Are Your Feelings About Aircraft Crashes?

Wed Aug 24, 2005 7:21 pm

Hi all,

since we have a really bad month for the aviation industry a lot of people approaching me and ask me what's going on in aviation. (Lot's of my workmates and friends know me as an aviation fan...)
Some of them say aircrafts are just bad, all the maintenance is done in a bad way and bla, bla,... You know those stupid comments.

But how do you really feel when especially an passenger a/c crash is newly reported, or you read here on A.NET suddenly about it?

Surely I feel really bad when passengers got killed at the crash. But I have sometimes even a bit the feeling as I work for the airline which had the crash. (This feeling depends how strong you love aviation, i guess) I feel bad, questioning me how that could happen and hope it wouldn't be so bad at the end. (In deed, I got really shocked and paralyzed when the Helios crash happened. This accident was really horrible and shocked the whole aviation industry)

Your thoughts about this? Are there similar feelings?

Regards,
Patrick
Aviation! That rocks...

NASBWI

RE: How Are Your Feelings About Aircraft Crashes?

Wed Aug 24, 2005 8:55 pm

As much as we love aviation, I'm pretty sure that many of us still feel a bit apprehensive when boarding a plane sometimes...particularly if the plane belongs to an airline that has just suffered a crash, or if that type of plane was just involved in a crash. I remember after the 1985/86 Delta crashes in DFW, my mother was very worried about flying with them for a while. Also, think about Valujet and their 1996 crash - and the aftermath that followed. The best way to get over it this fear is knowledge. Knowing what goes on during flight, the risks involved, and the steps that need to be taken to ensure survival should something go wrong is important to all. Hopefully, everyone's confidence in air travel will get a boost in the not-too-distant future when this all clears up.
Fierce, Fabulous, and Flawless ;)

ZKSUJ

Wed Aug 24, 2005 9:13 pm

It hits home more than it would with alot of people. It makes you wonder 'if only.....' But these things will happen and sure it is unfortunate but there is not much the public can do about it.
Just think of how many flights there are a day that don't end up in an accident. Seems to put things in perspective.

aerobalance

Wed Aug 24, 2005 9:17 pm

My feelings?

Sh*t happens.
"Sing a song, play guitar, make it snappy..."

flyAUA

Wed Aug 24, 2005 9:49 pm

My feelings are that there were too many of them the last 30 days. A bad month for aviation  Sad
Not drinking, also isn't a solution!

EddieGunsmoke

Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:34 pm

Well, it won't keep me from flying. But it's for sure a bit scary when so many accidents occur on the same month.

Matt D

Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:45 pm

I honestly don't know which is worse:

An actual plane crash?

Or the wingnut foamers tripping over themselves demanding to know the reg # of the plane in question. Then they make their mad dash through their photo archives to see if they have a picture of the "actual" plane that crashed while meanwhile, giving no more than token appreciation or thought to the victims, their families, and the airline.

Matt27

Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:47 pm

August 2005 will be remembered as a dark month in aviation history, just like August 1985. I will continue to fly as much (or less) as I have done before. But, sure there have been too many accidents this month, and it's just coincidence that they all happen within such a short time-span.

//Mattias
Man ska inte dricka rödvin i en vit hall.

Arniepie

Wed Aug 24, 2005 11:00 pm

Crashes?

Usually the result of something that ,for now ,cannot be changed:
-Nearly, but not completely, perfect machines.
-No way near to being perfect humans

Just like all other kind of accidents we'll have to lurn to live with them.
[edit post]

ltbewr

Wed Aug 24, 2005 11:00 pm

I think most people here are very concerned about when an aircraft goes down or involved in a serious incident, more so than the general population. We want to know a wide range of info as to the when, where, numbers killed/injured, the airline, the aircraft and most particularly how it happened. We wonder how something like an incident/crash can happen, especially as we know they do happen infrequently, far less than with automobile operation. Many of use are interested in the mystery of how something or somebody fails to do the job that was intended, much like how many people are attracted to history or police/crime dramas. There are many threads here that argue years later about aircraft crashes of the past (AA 587 & TWA 800 for example) and wonder of recent ones (Helios) especially where there is some lack of an obious or full conclusion of the cause, even after extensive investigations. Much of our concern and feelings about crashes/incidents are hopefully to find out how to reduce the risks now and in the future in airliner travel.

Thom@s

Wed Aug 24, 2005 11:34 pm

Hearing about a plane crash far away on the telly: Interested in the cause (up to a certain point, I don't launch my own investigation or anything...) If people are killed I think to myself "that's a shame", but I don't really give it much more thought.

Hearing about a plane crash close to where I live: Take more interest, get more info and then perhaps gain more sympathy for the killed and their families.

Hearing about a plane crash where everyone survived: Makes me happy.  Smile

Witnessing a plane crash at 9AM on a stormy winters morning a year and a half ago: Scared as hell.
Knowing everyone survived the crash: Relief.

Thom@s
"If guns don't kill people, people kill people - does that mean toasters don't toast toast, toast toast toast?"

Newark777

Wed Aug 24, 2005 11:39 pm

I think we are lucky we have so few of them, considering how many flights there are daily around the world, and how complex aircrafts are. I feel much more unsafe traveling down the NJ Turnpike than strapping myself into a jet.

Harry
Why grab a Heine when you can grab a Busch?

ACDC8

Thu Aug 25, 2005 12:13 am

As tragic as aircraft crashes are, they don't really make me think of aviation any differently. Crashes happen, that's life. And sometimes, the world just seems to get a streak of bad luck. If I started to feel apprehensive every time an aircraft goes down, then I would have to do the same for cars, buses, trains and boats. I still board an aircraft and stuff like this doesn't even cross my mind. Why should it? If it happens to me, it happens, that's life and I accept it.

The only thing that bothers me about these tragedies is how the media bounces on them and brainwashes our non-aviation citizens with misconceptions and scare tactics. As an example, why do they have feel it's so important to mention the fact that the aircraft type was a B737? For people who have no interest in aircraft automatically assume that it's an unsafe aircraft to fly in, at least with the people I've talked to. Of course, the media very rarely mentions the fact that there are more B737's in the air then any other aircraft type so it's just a mathematical fact that they are bound to be in more crashes then other types.

Just out of curiosity, when there is a bus crash, why don't they mention what type of bus it was?
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

ryanb741

Thu Aug 25, 2005 12:27 am

What I find ironic is how some people, after a crash on, say, a 737, will say that'a a dangerous plane and they won't fly on it. But then say a Jeep Cherokee (for example) smashes into a tree and kills it's occupants, it's not like people are refusing to get in that type of car!
I used to think the brain is the most fascinating part of my body. But, hey, who is telling me that?

HAWK21M

Thu Aug 25, 2005 2:51 am

Frustrating.
If its a Technical problem related one.Or one which is mysterious.
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

Pope

Thu Aug 25, 2005 3:07 am

Quoting Glidepath73 (Thread starter):
But how do you really feel when especially an passenger a/c crash is newly reported, or you read here on A.NET suddenly about it?

I'm generally against airline crashes.
Hypocrisy. It's the new black for liberals.

BAViscount

Thu Aug 25, 2005 3:57 am

Quoting NASBWI (Reply 1):
I'm pretty sure that many of us still feel a bit apprehensive when boarding a plane sometimes...particularly if the plane belongs to an airline that has just suffered a crash

I once heard that ticket sales tend to increase on an airline that has just suffered a crash because people think that the airline couldn't possibly have another crash in the foreseeable future. Whether that's true or not I don't know - personally I think it would depend on the airline and what kind of reputation it already has. I can see that working if it were one of the majors such as BA, AA, UA etc., but would it be the case on some of the world's lesser-known airlines?
Ladies & gentlemen this is Captain Tobias Wilcock welcoming you aboard Coconut Airways flight 372 to Bridgetown Barb

dba4u

Thu Aug 25, 2005 3:58 am

Whe I'm goin' to die, I'll die in a plane crash...
I've got no fear

The only bad thing about the above scenario are all those other people who would be involved in the crash...

tsaord

Thu Aug 25, 2005 4:47 am

well..being a non flyer untill the end of september, it makes me more scared a little. something about dying like that, just being helpless while your plane is going down and the fire...just scares the crap out of me. but im coming to realize, crashes, compared to the # of flights in a day, year, is very little.

well when i was 8 i flew and wasnt scared at all, my ears just popped like crazy. since then ive seen wayyyyyyyyy to many movies based on plane crashes. but, i wanna go to london, paris, l.a, places i never been before, but can only get there on a plane in a timely manner. so i guess ill get over my fear of flying, since im taking a flight sep 30th
there are icons, then there are legends, then there is rick flair

Delta717

Sat Aug 27, 2005 3:57 am

Quoting Dba4U (Reply 17):
Whe I'm goin' to die, I'll die in a plane crash...
I've got no fear

The only bad thing about the above scenario are all those other people who would be involved in the crash...

My thoughts exactly. I used to be a sort of nervous flyer...but I was on jetBlue on August 6, was watching MSNBC and found out about the Tuninter crash. It didn't phase me. If I'm going to die flying in a plane, then so be it...it was my time to go.

A332

Sat Aug 27, 2005 4:07 am

It's always sad to hear of an aircraft going down, especially when it is full of innocent people... but at the same time, there's really no way to prevent these kinds of things from happening from time to time (outside of banning flight completely).
Bad spellers of the world... UNTIE!

Doona

Sat Aug 27, 2005 5:04 am

Actually, since I'm just a passenger and can't control what happens when I fly, I'm not the least bit apprehensive when I board a plane. I'm more concerned when I cross the street.

And as A332 clearly states, as long as planes are flying, a small number are going to go down, whatever the reasons. And people will die. And that's sad.

But how come we speak so much of the dangers of flying when so many more people die every day on our roads? People who worry about safety in the air are not the people who worry about safety on the road, or the tracks, or the ocean for that matter.

I don't see anymore reason to worry about the plane crashing, than getting hit by a car.

Cheers
Mats
Sure, we're concerned for our lives. Just not as concerned as saving 9 bucks on a roundtrip to Ft. Myers.

kilavoud

Sat Aug 27, 2005 3:43 pm

Fortunately I still have got the impression that aviation is very very very safe and appreciate all what is done to make me fly.

Security is not the fruit of luck, but the fruit of efficient work and habits.

I would blacklist some airlines, because life is important and because it's a shame to put the life of innocent people in danger. Regarding security, I think that some airlines are just reaping what they have sown.

Cheers. Kilavoud.

HKGKaiTak

Sat Aug 27, 2005 8:49 pm

I think it is sad when one hears of loss of life ... which usually accompanies plane crashes.

It happens, and I always reason that plane crashes result in instant death and not much prolonged agony, so it's not exactly a terrible way to go.

As a cyclist, I'm far more scared of cars on the road than I ever will from flying.
4 Engines 4 LongHaul

samair

Sun Aug 28, 2005 6:09 am

I always get apprehensive when boarding aircraft 'what if what if' but you end up less apprehensive the less you fly and air crashes always scare me because I think 'well that's another bad way to crash' but I try to over come my fear
the captain has now dimmed the lights for take off this is a routine procedure for flights during the hours of darkness!

tsaord

Mon Aug 29, 2005 1:46 am

"I don't see anymore reason to worry about the plane crashing, than getting hit by a car."

from my perspective...i drive everyday to work. and i dont give my safety a second thought. why? because im in control of the car! i think most people feel that way. when you get on a plane your at the mercy of weather, the pilots, and if the plane goes down its nothing you can do. i think that is what scares people the most about flying...not being in control!
there are icons, then there are legends, then there is rick flair

scamp

Mon Aug 29, 2005 3:26 am

I should think that if I were on a plane that crashed, if I felt anything at all, it might be best described as, "ouch."
If it pisses off the right, I'm all for it.

buckieboy

Mon Aug 29, 2005 4:31 am

I live in NW Switzerland whilst being brought up in central Scotland. Here, the kids walk to school aged four, just as I did in the '70s. What % of UK four year old kids walk to school alone now?

My view is that the world is no more evil than when Charles Dickens wrote his novels; mainly around Victorian London. Advances in communication mean that we know much more (and quickly) about far away lands than we could have imagined a generation ago.

The same is for aviation. I was shocked to see the Toronto aftermath live on CNN although glad that eveyone walked free.

The fact is that air travel is one of the safest forms of travelling.

The recent events won't alter my travel plans.

Also, I belive that some 460,000 people died on China's roads last year.

Cheers

Buckieboy
I'm taking orders from bottles of wine

flymia

Mon Aug 29, 2005 12:09 pm

Once I hear about an accident I feel sorry for the familys and people directly involed in the crash but than I wonder. Why and how? These two question. Than once those two questions are answered I think how to prevent these type of accidents from happing again.
As for Genral Aviation crashes which I hear about I can say that when the reason for the crash comes out I want it to be pilot error realted rather than mechanical problems or the plane being unsafe to fly. I rather hear that the pilot made mistakes rather than the plane making mistakes. Than you know that hey it was the pilots fault not the plane just dont make that mistake and everything should be fine. Talk to other pilots about this same topic many feel the same way.

In aviation you have to learn from others mistakes because by the time you made them all yourself you will be dead.
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

PPSMA

Mon Aug 29, 2005 1:48 pm

I am finally feeling almost normal, as I have always felt like I was the only one who felt terrible when an accident occurred and the fact that, no matter where it occurred, it always hit me hard in the stomach.

I remember well when I was 21 or 22 and worked for VASP as an airport agent back then and one night, at around 2AM I got this phone call from the airport (CGH) urging me to report back to work as one our B727-200 had crashed in Fortaleza (SBFZ). Mind you that only a couple of weeks earlier one of our B737-200 had split into two as it landed in Brasilia (SBBR) after hitting a windshear.

However, differently from the Brasilia crash where one person died, everyone onboard the 727 died. Years later there was still suspicion on the flight´s pilot and the possibility that he willingly continued to descend below the minimum descend altitude and hit the ground despite two altitude alert system warnings.

On this particular night, I was standing behind our check-in desks and when this particular crew walked by I waved to one of the flight attendants, a gorgeous blonde, whom I had known for years, only to find out hours later that she had died on tha crash. Unnecessary to say that I was shocked beyond belief.

To make a long story short by the time I got to the airport a lot of the passengers´ family members was already assembling in the airport hall and we directed them to a secluded room where we tried to comfort them as well as we could and help them make the arrangements for their own trip to Fortaleza where they would help identify their loved ones!!

Very sad!
Aviation is my thing!

UAcosCS

Mon Aug 29, 2005 7:22 pm

I'm gonna be honest with you, I don't like them one bit. Smile
We had dreams and songs to sing, It's so lonely round the fields of Athenry.

Cirrostratus

Tue Aug 30, 2005 5:55 am

Nice one UAcosCS, I don't like them much either.

Leskova

Wed Aug 31, 2005 7:05 am

They happen, they're a fact of life when flying - they're not going to change my travel plans even one bit.

I've been booked, and ticketed, on a flight that hit a mountain - I wasn't on board because I cancelled a few weeks (I think it was around a month) before; it would have been my first trip to South America, but since everything else got too expensive (the Dollar was rising against the D-Mark at that time, so prices were skyrocketing), I - together with two friends - cancelled the trip. Otherwise, Faucett's flight 251 flying into Arequipa on 29 February 1996 would have been my last flight ever.

It was just that for 123 people.

As I mentioned - accidents are a fact of life. They happen. Be glad, if you never get close to one.

Regards,
Frank
Smile - it confuses people!

TimePilot

Sat Sep 03, 2005 11:51 pm

A week or so before flying I just stop reading any aviation related news. Not all, but definitely anything relating to crashes. I flew August 6th, a few days after that terrible incident with Air France (thankfully everyone got out okay.) I didn't listen to or read the news at all. While I was away there was the terrible tradgedy in Greece and 1 other incident that slips my mind.

Although my sympathies go out, I block it all until I've come back. The last thing I need is to be replaying news footage over and over in my head wondering if we're gonna be next or not.

When I was a kid, I remember we were coming back from Aruba. The whole plane had been loaded except for 3 last passengers. We were sitting on the apron waiting for these last people, but one young man wouldn't get in. Word drifted in that he had been watching cable at the resort hotel and the a day or two before they had shown a special on air disasters. He was petrified and the staff & family had to coax him into the plane, all the while telling him that it was perfectly safe.

ReidYYZ

Sat Sep 10, 2005 8:06 pm

When it happens close to home (company or airport) the chances of me knowing somebody being that much higher, increases my concern. As for myself traveling, it doesn't affect my sense of security or fear. Aviation is a rapidly evolving animal. Transport Canada has a saying in their maintenance safety flyers 'learn from other peoples mistakes'. As morbid as it is, at least some good can come of tragedy. So when it is pilot,maint or atc error, mechanical failure or bad design/engineering, we can all learn from it. It goes without saying, the drive to the airport is indeed the most dangerous part of flying, regardless of where you go or with whom you go.

SA7700

Sat Sep 10, 2005 10:19 pm

I feel an enormous amount of sadness for the people who died and have the greatest sympathy for their beloved ones that they leave behind.

Quoting ACDC8 (Reply 12):
The only thing that bothers me about these tragedies is how the media bounces on them and brainwashes our non-aviation citizens with misconceptions and scare tactics.

I totally agree with this. What are the media trying to achieve? During the last month, the South African media have been pouncing on airplane crashes, extensively! Unfortunate accidents and losses are twisted into the most sensationalist drivel that you can imagine.

During this week IIRC, one of CE’s B732’s “lost” an engine. It is not that unusual; as B732’s are certified to fly safely to an appropriate airport, with one engine, as quickly as possible. Suddenly the media were all over CE. Apparently the pilot was not “compassionate” enough when he announced over the P/A system that they have lost an engine and would be turning back. What did they want the pilot to do, come out of the cockpit and assure each pax in every row that they where going to be fine? Jeez, get a grip South Africa!

Rgds

SA7700
When you are doing stuff that nobody has done before, there is no manual – Kevin McCloud (Grand Designs)

levent

Sat Sep 10, 2005 10:29 pm

An airplane crash is a sad happening, but for me stands in the same line as a car crash, or a train crash, or whatever accident involving deaths and injuries. Of course, when a plane crashes the chance that there will be considerable fatalities is quite big.
The past month was a bad month for aviation indeed, but how many people have died on the roads worldwide in the same period of time?
I think it's appaling that the media always put so much emphasis on a plane crash, as if it is the worst thing ever. That is, if they get the facts right in the first place...
For me personally, no plane crash will keep me off flying, except of course if it's in a region with a wave of terrorist attacks or something like that and it's simply extremely dangerous to get into a plane.

MarshalN

Sun Sep 11, 2005 4:12 am

Quoting Levent (Reply 36):
For me personally, no plane crash will keep me off flying, except of course if it's in a region with a wave of terrorist attacks or something like that and it's simply extremely dangerous to get into a plane.

I second that, although I want to add "fly an Indonesian airline" to the list. There have just been too many (relatively speaking) crashes in that region for it to be a coincidence.

747luvr

Fri Sep 23, 2005 10:41 pm

You know, I've always felt this: It's not death thats going to hurt...(sucks your life end's) but say your cruising along and the grime ripper is sitting next to you....and your plane is going in a nose dive. It's the ride down that sucks....you know whats going to happen, you have those few seconds, maybe a minute or so to think, (luckily black out?) but your not going to feel a thing as the jet disintregates as it slams into the ground at what 700mph? Assuming a nose dive that is.....I would hope most people could say a quick prayer, ask for mercy and say an I love you to those they love.....people who get killed in car accidents dont even have that kind of time to do any of that.

57AZ

Mon Sep 26, 2005 5:22 am

Each event is tragic in it's own right. Can't help but to feel for the souls aboard and their circle of friends and family. On a broader perspective, aviation is still in it's infancy compared to other modes of transportation. Rapid industry growth and development always outpaces safety in the first years of a growth period. In the 1800s, the rapidly expanding railroad industry killed anywhere from 1 to 8 passengers daily (depending on whose numbers you use).
"When a man runs on railroads over half of his lifetime he is fit for nothing else-and at times he don't know that."

AzoresLover

Mon Sep 26, 2005 6:01 am

I've mentioned in another thread about spending a three-day weekend one year working to help clean up a crash site. Pilot flew the plane into the ground after a missed approach, 68 people killed. After that experience I was absolutely certain that I would never again be able to fly. Fortunately that fear wore off after about 5-6 weeks, and I took a flight just to prove to myself that I could actually still do it.

While all accidents are very upsetting, and I follow the causes closely like most everyone on a.net, accidents do not prevent me from flying at all.

However, I will NEVER AGAIN participate in a crash cleanup. The things that it did to my mind were not pretty.  no 

Enough said.
Those who want to do something will find a way; those who don't will find an excuse.

Nordair

Wed Sep 28, 2005 6:21 am

People die every day in car crashes, swimming pools, house fires, and even walking down the street. Yet, people still go for drives, still go swimming, go to sleep in their homes, and take daily strolls. Emotions aside, there are no guarantees of safety anywhere, so why concern oneself with being on a plane.

Of all the airplanes that take off and land daily everywhere across the globe, what makes you think it could be your paticular plane that will snuff it?

My mother who was terrified of flying once asked me, "Don't you worry about dying in a plane crash?"

I told her that I would rather die a quick death in a fiery plane crash than linger in agony in a hospital ward dying of disease.

Just my opinion, of course.
"It is never legitimate to use the words of scripture to promote a loveless agenda." - Right Rev. Dr. Peter Short

EGTESkyGod

Wed Sep 28, 2005 9:16 pm

I feel they are bad.  Smile
I came, I saw, I Concorde! RIP Michael Jackson