tranceport

Best Way From London - AMS?

Sun Sep 04, 2005 9:29 am

Sometime in the future I will be needing to get from the London area to Amsterdam. I'm looking for a combination of the fastest way to get there combined with the lowest price.

I'm not familiar with European LCCs, so does anyone have any information on the best way to look for fares between these city pairs?

JRadier

RE: Best Way From London - AMS?

Sun Sep 04, 2005 10:21 am

Just try the airlines, or maybe a website like expedia?

LHR-AMS BA/BD/KL
LGW-AMS BA/U2
LTN-AMS U2
STN-AMS U2/HV??
LCY-AMS KLc/VLM
For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and ther

planesarecool

Sun Sep 04, 2005 10:28 am

easyJet will be cheapest, flying from Gatwick, Stansted and Luton.

To get from London to Gatwick just get to Victoria station and get the Gatwick Express train and you'll be there in 35 minutes. Alternatively if you get on a Southern service to Hastings/Eastbourne/Littlehampton/Southampton, they only take a few minutes more, stopping at just Clapham Junction and East Croydon. Though look at the departure board as not all stop at Gatwick

To get to Luton, get to Kings Cross Thameslink station for trains about every 6 minutes with Thameslink. Try get the trains bound for Bedford as they will be faster, calling at St. Albans and Harpenden only. Alternatively get to St. Pancras (next to Kings Cross) for an hourly Midland Mainline service to Luton airport, which goes straight there (and then up north)

To Stansted, get to Liverpool Street or Tottenham Hale, for the Stansted Express. Takes about 25 minutes!

Have a good trip.

A340600

Sun Sep 04, 2005 10:29 am

EasyJet do some very good fares, £40rtn for example. I once flew it for £30! BA fares seem to start around the £70 mark, BD being somewhere in the middle. VLM can be very expensive but often offer competitive fares to their competitors.

European LCC are very different to those on your side of the Atlantic. It really is about simplicity, getting from A-B. On EZY expect 29inch legroom and food/drink for sale onboard, pleasant enough for the short flight you require.

Cheers,

Sam Smile
Despite the name I am a Boeing man through and through!

Pe@rson

Sun Sep 04, 2005 7:04 pm

If you fly with KL from LHR, you can (if you choose the right flights) get the 763 and 739 - like I did the last time I flew with the airline. It's only about 40 minutes from LHR to AMS.
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

777klm

Mon Sep 05, 2005 12:57 am

Quoting JRadier (Reply 1):
STN-AMS U2/HV??

I believe HV isn't operating the STN-AMS route anymore, it has been changed to STN-RTM. RTM is a nice airport (and city) and only 30 minutes by train to Amsterdam!
Cheers!
Next flight: AMS - TLV - AMS

Pe@rson

Mon Sep 05, 2005 1:49 am

Quoting 777klm (Reply 5):
it has been changed to STN-RTM

Indeed. Been operating to there - and not AMS - for ages now.
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."