levent

Starting PPL Groundschool On 1 October!

Sun Sep 18, 2005 7:19 pm

Hi all,

I recently made a dream come true by moving to Thailand, and I am about to make another life-long dream come true as well: I am starting the groundschool for my private pilot's licence on October 1st!

I will be studying and later flying at BangPhra Airfield, between Bangkok and Pattaya. This field has a 900-metre paved runway. The basic training will be on a Cessna C150 and moving on to the C172. The club also has Cherokees, Trinidads, Mooneys and... a PZL-104 Wilga taildragger.

The total cost of the PPL course will be around 4000 euros, which is much, much less than what it would cost in Europe.

Whom of you A.net members has a PPL? Would you like to share any experiences and/or tips regarding the training? Many thanks!

MH017

RE: Starting PPL Groundschool On 1 October!

Sun Sep 18, 2005 9:49 pm

Levent,

me  Wow!, although I did my training in the US on Cessna's (152 and 172), I might be able to help you  Wink
don't throw away tomorrow !

xjramper

Sun Sep 18, 2005 10:03 pm

Good luck. It certainly is a great experience. I am currently about to wrap up my instrument liscense. Any help...let us know.

XJR
Look ma' no hands!

roseflyer

Mon Sep 19, 2005 12:28 am

Good luck! I just earned my private pilot's license in the span of two months over the summer in Seattle. Hopefully you will have a lot of fun. Flying out of a relatively short runway can be good for you since it will give you a lot of confidence.

I suggest that you study hard and read up on maneuvers before your instructor demonstrates them or you try them. Try and earn your pilot's license in a relatively short period of time so that you can keep up on your skills and learning. People who take a year or two to earn their license spend so much reviewing what they have already learned.

As for experiences, my most powerful one was my first solo flight. I didn't really contemplate what was going on the morning before the flight. And when my instructor stepped out of the airplane, I just kind of went through the normal motions. However the second I pulled back on takeoff, wow. I realized that I was flying a plane by myself and was doing something that the majority of the population can't and will never do. I will always remember that day as I did it on the fourth of July.

My best advice for you is to be humble. Acknowledge that you make mistakes and talk them through with your instructor. Don't get over confident, and that will kill you.

[Edited 2005-09-18 17:33:05]
If you have never designed an airplane part before, let the real designers do the work!