kingsford

Best Transatlantic Economy : AA Or UA?

Tue Sep 20, 2005 7:28 pm

As I was booking online BRU-OMA-SLC-BRU I got a price difference between AA and UA of 400 USD : UA being the most expensive. I am now wondering what the catch is for a price difference of 400 USD. The schedules are comparable, only the stop-overs differ.

Can anyone tell me why I would prefer UA on FRA-ORD rather than AA on BRU-IAD ? I heard UA is more comfortable...

cornish

RE: Best Transatlantic Economy : AA Or UA?

Tue Sep 20, 2005 7:41 pm

Well I was always under the impression that AA was more comfortable in economy. Certainly the legroom I had flying AA 777 LHR-JFK in June was much better than you would normally get in Economy. I wasn't aware that UA matched this.

Of course I don't know if this is for all AA's transatlantic aircraft types, or what equipment they use on BRU services.
Just when I thought I could see light at the end of the tunnel, it was some B*****d with a torch bringing me more work

AA787

Tue Sep 20, 2005 7:49 pm

Both of the flights are with 763. However I think that it is UA that is flying BRU-IAD while AA is your BRU-ORD option.

AA787
ET In NYC

FriendlySkies

Tue Sep 20, 2005 9:55 pm

I can't speak for AA, but on UA you have the chance of getting Economy Plus seating, and there are PTVs throughout the aircraft, including coach.

kingsford

Tue Sep 20, 2005 10:21 pm

That's what I thought. I am very PTV minded and I remember UAL had them the last time on board of their 777.

c680

Tue Sep 20, 2005 10:23 pm

If PTV is such a big deal, then why not go buy a portable DVD player and save $400 on the airfare???
My happy place is FL470 - what's yours?

ssides

Tue Sep 20, 2005 10:31 pm

I'm a bit confused at your routing options ... I absolutely love AA's transatlantic product, but they do not yet have PTVs in their 763s. AA's 777s are first-rate.
"Lose" is not spelled with two o's!!!!

CarbHeatIn

Tue Sep 20, 2005 10:43 pm

No brainer.... Channel 9 all the way...

ord

Tue Sep 20, 2005 10:44 pm

Quoting Cornish (Reply 1):
Well I was always under the impression that AA was more comfortable in economy. Certainly the legroom I had flying AA 777 LHR-JFK in June was much better than you would normally get in Economy. I wasn't aware that UA matched this.

AA's "More Room Throughout Coach" is in the process of being eliminated, and coach seats are being added back to the airplanes. Once this happens, AA and UA will have roughly equal room in coach, although UA will still offer Economy Plus with up to 5" extra leg room.

kingsford

Tue Sep 20, 2005 10:49 pm

PTV is best because the batteries don't die after 3 hours and the movies tend to be much more recent than what's available in DVD.

To get PTV I would have to fly via FRA as the BRU direct flights do not have them indeed. But true for 400 USD I can go 50 times to a cinema...

georgiaame

Tue Sep 20, 2005 10:58 pm

I've never flown with either AA or UA transatlantic, so perhaps this reply is unfair, but transatlantic service on Air France is consistently fabulous. Seating is very comfortable in either their Boeing or Airbus fleets, the food is great in economy, and the champagne flows without a $5. charge. My 2 cents
"Trust, but verify!" An old Russian proverb, quoted often by a modern American hero

frequentflyer

Tue Sep 20, 2005 11:08 pm

AA international on-board service compares to US domestic.
UA is kinda cool with Channel 9... comparable service, maybe a notch up cpmpared to AA on average. I always get more recent aircraft on UA than on AA.
Food is comparable. Special meals get less mixed up at AA!
Take off and live

jacobin777

Tue Sep 20, 2005 11:15 pm

Quoting C680 (Reply 5):
If PTV is such a big deal, then why not go buy a portable DVD player and save $400 on the airfare???

great idea..I always bring my laptop, in fact, did that for my flight from ORD-SJC last night on AA, and with AA having powerports in economy, one can run any laptop/dvd player for the whole flight without problems... thumbsup 

Quoting GeorgiaAME (Reply 10):
I've never flown with either AA or UA transatlantic, so perhaps this reply is unfair, but transatlantic service on Air France is consistently fabulous. Seating is very comfortable in either their Boeing or Airbus fleets, the food is great in economy, and the champagne flows without a $5. charge. My 2 cents

I flew from CDG-DXB-CDG on AF last month..while their service is very good, the seating was terrible, especially after sitting in AA's 777 from JFK-LHR (emergency exit row 31A/B no less).
"Up the Irons!"

legendDC9

Tue Sep 20, 2005 11:20 pm

Quoting CarbHeatIn (Reply 7):

Absolutly.

Add to that the rest of the IFE and the 777 as opposed to the 763... Besides, UA needs your money worse than AA. Give them a break!

777klm

Tue Sep 20, 2005 11:44 pm

Quoting LegendDC9 (Reply 13):
Besides, UA needs your money worse than AA. Give them a break!

Would this be a serious reason for you to choose an airline?
Cheers,

Wouter
Next flight: AMS - TLV - AMS

kaneporta1

Wed Sep 21, 2005 12:17 am

I flew AA in July for the first time, LHR-LAX on a 777 and Y class was very good in terms of comfort. Around 34" of legroom comfortable seats and touchscreen PVTs with almost new movies. The service was what you'd expect from a US airline, a decent dinner and a rather awful snack box. Overall it was pretty good better than BA's Y class (the only other airline i've flown trans-atlantic). They are now adding more seats in Y but in their 777s the extra seats will be added between rows 30 and 44 so rows 20-26 will retain the extra legroom.
I'd rather die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather, not terrified and screaming, like his passengers

legendDC9

Wed Sep 21, 2005 12:26 am

Quoting 777klm (Reply 14):
Would this be a serious reason for you to choose an airline?
Cheers,

I'm not the one buying the ticket, am I  Smile

laca773

Wed Sep 21, 2005 12:27 am

My suggestion is to go with UA. You will be flying on a 763, neither carrier has 777s on this routing. UA has the IFE, & AA does not. The roominess on AA's a/c is going bye bye. UA's food is a somewhat better than AA. Cabin crews are hit and miss. I hope that helps. If you have a choice of flying one of your EU carriers I'd take AF over UA or AA.

LACA773

N62NA

Wed Sep 21, 2005 12:31 am

Quoting Jacobin777 (Reply 12):
and with AA having powerports in economy, one can run any laptop/dvd player for the whole flight without problems...

For some reason, my power adapter only works to recharge my laptop on AA planes. Whenever I actually turn my laptop on, the power cuts out. I think my laptop draws too much power.  Sad

zotan

Wed Sep 21, 2005 12:33 am

Absolutly.

Add to that the rest of the IFE and the 777 as opposed to the 763... Besides, UA needs your money worse than AA. Give them a break!

SO you guys would pay 400 dollars more to listen to ATC and watch a TV for a few hours?? Wow.....

SNATH

Wed Sep 21, 2005 12:34 am

I concur! Who needs PTVs if Ch 9 is available!

Tony
Nikon: we don't want more pixels, we want better pixels.

jacobin777

Wed Sep 21, 2005 1:12 am

Quoting N62NA (Reply 18):
For some reason, my power adapter only works to recharge my laptop on AA planes. Whenever I actually turn my laptop on, the power cuts out. I think my laptop draws too much power.  Sad

That's been happening to me, I was told it has to do with the power converter and not the airplane or laptop........

my laptop is 75W and about 15v dc , which is exactly what is mentioned on AA's website.....

"Powerports
Powerport Your seat may be equipped with a DC power outlet. American uses a "cigarette lighter" style outlet delivering 15 volts of direct current. On most aircraft*, a power outlet is available at each seat in First and Business class, as well as selected rows in the Coach cabin. Outlets may be used to operate laptop computers, CD/DVD players, charging cellphone and other devices with a maximum 75-watt capacity."

I was going to ask someone on this thread on the non-AV forum about this also..actually I had typed my question up, and then my Mozilla browser crashed  mad 

http://www.aa.com/content/travelInfo...Technology.jhtml?anchorEvent=false
"Up the Irons!"

satx

Wed Sep 21, 2005 1:38 am

Quoting Kingsford (Reply 9):
PTV is best because the batteries don't die after 3 hours and the movies tend to be much more recent than what's available in DVD.

For US$400 you could buy a portable DVD player, and another battery or two. I'd rather have decent older movies that actually interest me instead of something cheesy but recent.

Besides, UA needs your money worse than AA

Oh brother.

Quoting Kaneporta1 (Reply 15):
Around 34" of legroom comfortable seats and touchscreen PVTs with almost new movies.

Kiss the 34" pitch goodbye and AA PTV's on 767's are few and far between.

Quoting LACA773 (Reply 17):
My suggestion is to go with UA

I agree with everything you said, except that it's not worth an extra US$400 by any stretch of the imagination. For that kind of money you might be able to buy a portable DVD player and a hand-held scanner instead of UA's PTV and CH9. Also, E+ is not the sort of thing you can count on unless you have status or have paid full Y fare.

Quoting SNATH (Reply 20):
I concur! Who needs PTVs if Ch 9 is available!

CH9 is worth $400?!
Open Season on Consumer Protections is Just Around the Corner...

Danny

Wed Sep 21, 2005 1:42 am

UA is definitely better - Economy Plus, PTVs and Channel 9. Is it worth $400 for you? You need to answer this question yourself.

Indy

Wed Sep 21, 2005 2:22 am

I have flown quite a number of times in the past 10 years. With as many trips as I have taken I have taken AA only twice. Once to DFW and once to FRA. With so few times on AA out of so many trips their level of service gets them into the top 5 twice in my opinion. Actually probably 2 of the top 3 when it comes to the quality of their flight attendants. The crews on the flights were among the best I've seen. They are very friendly and very helpful.
Indy = Indianapolis and not Independence Air

N62NA

Wed Sep 21, 2005 2:25 am

Quoting Jacobin777 (Reply 21):
I was going to ask someone on this thread on the non-AV forum about this also..actually I had typed my question up, and then my Mozilla browser crashed

Actually, I think it is a good topic for this forum as opposed to non-av, so go ahead and post it as a new topic and I'll join in!

AADC10

Wed Sep 21, 2005 3:05 am

Quoting Jacobin777 (Reply 21):
That's been happening to me, I was told it has to do with the power converter and not the airplane or laptop........

my laptop is 75W and about 15v dc , which is exactly what is mentioned on AA's website.....

That is a crock. The problem is the aircraft's power supply. AA's coach power is that the system is often overloaded and cannot supply all of the devices that are plugged in (and the numbers of devices are increasing). That is why some people report being able to charge their laptops but not turh them on because the voltage is below the 12v minimum it needs to supply. Your adaptor converts from 12v (AA probably provides 15 volts if nothing is plugged in) to whatever your computer's requirement is. If the plugs are overloaded, then voltage drops too far, sometimes to the point of being inadequate to power a notebook.

It is like the "free high-speed internet" connections at some hotels. During peak hours, too many people use it, somtimes bogging it down to the point of uselessness.

N1120A

Wed Sep 21, 2005 3:33 am

Quoting Kingsford (Thread starter):
As I was booking online BRU-OMA-SLC-BRU I got a price difference between AA and UA of 400 USD : UA being the most expensive. I am now wondering what the catch is for a price difference of 400 USD. The schedules are comparable, only the stop-overs differ.

Can anyone tell me why I would prefer UA on FRA-ORD rather than AA on BRU-IAD ? I heard UA is more comfortable...

UA is more comfortable if you are in Y+, where you have 36" of pitch. The key is, will you get a seat up there? If you aren't a Premier or up or flying on a full fare ticket, and the flight is full, you have no chance and will be stuck with 31". UA does have PTVs in Y, but they are no on-demand, rather they are just a running loop of a few movies. I personally just keep it on Airshow and listen to Channel 9. Still, if you are not a FFer with a STAR carrier, I would just save the $400 and fly with AA

Seating is very comfortable in either their Boeing or Airbus fleets, the food is great in economy, and the champagne flows without a $5. charge.

Have AA and UA started charging for alcohol in Y on TATL?
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

YULWinterSkies

Wed Sep 21, 2005 4:07 am

but transatlantic service on Air France is consistently fabulous. Seating is very comfortable in either their Boeing or Airbus fleets, the food is great in economy, and the champagne flows without a $5

I know, but I would do everything possible to save one connection like most people... Kingsford is probably in my case too!
Champagne pour tout le monde indeed, and PTV for everybody as well, unless you get one of the "old" 744s, but if you have to connect on a domestic flight in the US, these do not fly into the DL hubs.

Quoting Jacobin777 (Reply 12):
I flew from CDG-DXB-CDG on AF last month..while their service is very good, the seating was terrible

You got too much luxury at Dubai, that's why...
If you don't like AF Y seating, try BA, KL, UA or many others. You'll miss AF quickly! They have that 32nd inch that changes the world...
When I doubt... go running!

aa777flyer

Wed Sep 21, 2005 4:08 am

UA is not charging more because their service is different from AA's. Basically fares are capacity controlled. It is likely a situation where the lower fares on UA are already gone, thus leaving only higher fares. I dont know when you are planning on your travel, but if you look at the fares offered the fares are likely the same for all airlines in that market.
It basically comes down to how many fares are sold in each particular fare "bucket".

Hope that helps.
The TSA was created to make the post office look efficient!

wingnutmn

Wed Sep 21, 2005 4:11 am

UA I believe still offers free alcohol in economy on international flights, so if you are a nervious flyer, maybe that is a way to go!
Any landing you can walk away from is a good landing! It's a bonus if you can fly the plane again!!

bravo7e7

Wed Sep 21, 2005 4:54 am

Quoting WingnutMN (Reply 30):
UA I believe still offers free alcohol in economy on international flights, so if you are a nervious flyer, maybe that is a way to go!

Not anymore. Only to Asia and Australia.

Paul

Wed Sep 21, 2005 8:50 am

Definately go with UA. They are great whatever class ur in. Especially Business!

Regards

Paul
Veni, vidi, vici.

UAalltheway

Wed Sep 21, 2005 10:50 am

I actually saw this thread and was already prepared to write a huge post on the trans-atlantic differences of UA and AA, as I was recently battling the same problem. However, everything that I had mentally prepared to tell you has already been listed in here- and more. So I think there's only one thing I need to say here...

UA All The Way!  Wink

daron4000

Wed Sep 21, 2005 12:18 pm

I agree with going on UA, especially if the Star Alliance is part of your FFP. If you don't have a FFP, I suggest you join and get these 10000 miles that might be useful in teh future, and base your choice not on the fare but the FFP, because if you love SQ, then you might want to join UA and Star, but if your dream is to fly on CX or Qantas, then fly AA.

kingsford

Thu Sep 22, 2005 12:46 am

I am Miles&More silver member. So yes that is why I was interested in flying UA over AA, DL and CO. The advantage is getting the miles, the disadvantage is more stop-overs (UA doesn't seem to have OMA-SLC direct service) but for trueblue Anet people like us it is not always a problem to discover more airport along the way... hum.

I have found a UA flight less expensive and closer to AA and DL but boy I am going to see a lot of america !

Thank you guys for the inspiration ! Channel 9 here I come !

halls120

Fri Sep 23, 2005 4:43 am

Quoting UAalltheway (Reply 33):
I actually saw this thread and was already prepared to write a huge post on the trans-atlantic differences of UA and AA, as I was recently battling the same problem. However, everything that I had mentally prepared to tell you has already been listed in here- and more. So I think there's only one thing I need to say here...

UA All The Way!

I agree, especially since AA is apparently removing MRTC in all their aircraft.
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." Mark Twain, a Biography

kingsford

Fri Sep 23, 2005 11:29 pm

So thank you all for the fine discussion : I finally booked BRU-IAD-ORD-OMA-DEN-SLC-DEN-IAD-BRU on UA for 750 EUR !

I could have had less stopovers with DL and AA but I'd rather get the right miles and maybe get stranded in ORD or DEN and get the chance to see Chicago or Denver for a couple of hours...

jyatlantic

Sat Sep 24, 2005 3:57 am

Quoting Kingsford (Reply 37):
I finally booked BRU-IAD-ORD-OMA-DEN-SLC-DEN-IAD-BRU

What a cool route. You'll definitely get to see different kinds of ppl during your trip.