MarshalN
Topic Author

Hmmm BOS-HKG Problem

Mon Oct 24, 2005 6:13 am

Wondering what you guys think

I'm looking to go home for Christmas, and the flights this year seem tight (they're charging a lot). My options seem to be NW, by BOS-DTW-NRT-HKG roundtrip for about 1100, and CO with BOS-EWR-HKG, but that's 1600. Everything else is topping 2000 USD (CX for example, is 2200, although I'd really like to fly their A346s on the JFK-HKG route).

Think prices will drop as it gets closer? My suspicion is that it won't, although I'm not sure if I should at least wait a bit and see if discount fares may show up. Just wondering what you all airline gurus think... I might just go with CO even though it's more expensive. The 777 isn't that nice, but at least it gets me there in a timely manner. The NW flight will be 27 hours with transfers, ugh.

sw733

RE: Hmmm BOS-HKG Problem

Mon Oct 24, 2005 9:09 am

I personally don't wait around for discounts because more often than not in my cases at least the price only goes up. If you have $500 to spend, I'd absolutely go with the shorter, more convenient flights, especially when a 777 is involved with better IFE, if that matters to you. However, if you're like me and are cheap  Wink then of course go as cheap as you can get!

MarshalN
Topic Author

Mon Oct 24, 2005 9:40 am

Yeah, I realize a lot of this comes down to whether I think the extra 500 is worth it or not. In some ways, it's good to save a good 15 hours on my flight when you calculate the roundtrip. That's basically a whole day, so whether the 500 is worth it or not, hmmm

deltaguy767

Thu Oct 27, 2005 2:27 am

Greetings MarshalN fellow Bay State Resident,
I sent you a post on another thread a while back about this issue. However I would go with CO if you have the $$$. You save a ton of time versus NW and you would probably be flying a DC-10. Not the best compared to CO's IFE. However you could take UA from BOS-SFO/LAX-HKG? Have you checked that one out? Anyway best of luck and if there is anything I can help you with I will gladly be of service.

From BDL (area)  wave 
DeltaGuy767
A Good Landing is one you walk away from!

MarshalN
Topic Author

Thu Oct 27, 2005 1:25 pm

Heh, well, UA does have a flight out, either SFO or ORD, although the flights are longer and prices are actually higher than CO, believe it or not. I don't really like to fly the 777, that's my only problem, but UA's flight is significantly longer (longer transfer and longer flight time total). It would push me over for aeroplan's prestige status, but then again, I don't have much use for it really. I might just do CO.... since I need to get some miles soon before my account expires.

crox1

Fri Oct 28, 2005 10:24 am

Hi

As a pure aviation fan, I would say fly NW, experience the Dc10 feeling, before its too late, if time, comfort and IFE are the constraints ; then; go CO.

Alternativly UA are offering fares via ORD at about $750

Enjoy whichever route you fly, and have a great Christmas with your Family

Andy
Both optimists and pessimists contribute to the society. The optimist invents the aeroplane, the pessimist the parachute

MarshalN
Topic Author

Sat Oct 29, 2005 12:29 pm

UA is offering fares for the non-peak I think, I'm not seeing those rates.

I might just go with CO.... haven't been on the ultra long 777 flight for a while, time to fly through North Pole again....

[Edited 2005-10-29 05:30:11]