LINATHJNX
Topic Author

Window Seat: Most Beatiful Approaches In Europe

Mon Nov 07, 2005 2:46 am

Hi to all

What are for you the most beautiful approaches in Europe?
What are the ones you could not get your eyes from the window?
My favourites (to say the truth I never get my eyes from window wherever I am going) are:

IBZ if you're seated in the right side landing on runway 24 you can usually see all the south coastline of the island, the whole town and the beach of Playa d'en Bossa.

Landing on 6 is very beatiful again if you're on the right side of the a/c. You can see the beach of Salinas then banking to the rigHt you can see clearly the rocks of Cap Falcò and the clear waters of Codolar.

JNX (Naxos, Greece). The aircraft (from ATH) usually arrives low on north side of Paros than starts to bank to the left on the vertical of some small rock coming out from the see between the two islands. It passes over the beach of Agia Anna and you can see the shells on the seabed through the ultra crystal clear waters. In the final approach you can see all the cows in the fields wahtching the aircraft landing.

OLB landing on 24 you can see the wonderful coastline of north Sardinia.

Hope you give your favourites!

Ciao
Paolo

TUNisia

RE: Window Seat: Most Beatiful Approaches In Europ

Mon Nov 07, 2005 3:42 am

FCO - depends.. you either see the rolling hills outside of Rome, or you glide along the coast.

ZRH - the cute little Swiss villages and the Alps in the distance
Someday the sun will shine down on me in some faraway place - Mahalia Jackson

Checo77

Mon Nov 07, 2005 3:48 am

I love the approach to LHT if your landing in runway 27R/27L. You see all Downtown London.
The approach to INN is just great too, especially in winter. Surrounded by Alps, just amazing.
Regards,
Adam
Czech Boeing lover living in Lima

CrazyHorse

Mon Nov 07, 2005 5:32 am

I love the approach to MUC quite much, the new "Allianz-Stadium" is really nice form the aircarft.
The approach to LHR is also nice, sometimes you see the downtown of London and much sights ot this great town.

MH017

Mon Nov 07, 2005 5:49 am

PMO (Palermo): landing towards the West, sit on the left-hand side and you'll be amazed by the high mountain(s) you'll pass...

INN (Innsbruck): doesn't matter which side of the plane you're: it will be stunning either way...
don't throw away tomorrow !

rootsair

Mon Nov 07, 2005 6:00 am

GVA for sure...right over Lake Leman's beautiful blue water with Alps on one side and the jura on the other...and all the towns off the lake's coast...gotta be one of the best !
A man without the knowledge of his past history,culture and origins is like a tree without roots

MarshalN

Mon Nov 07, 2005 6:27 am

NCE was not bad IMO -- if you're lucky and on the right side of the aircraft, you can see the whole coast under your eyes, and weather is generally nice so it won't be blocked by clouds and stuff

CPH757

Mon Nov 07, 2005 6:32 am

Tenerife South, TFS, have a spectacular approach, where you can see the Teide volcano. It's really amazing. It's perhaps not a part of Europe geographically, but politically, so let it count  Smile

I like the LIS approach as well. The airport is very close to the city, and the low flight over the old beatiful city is simply amazing.

AMS has a great approach from North as well. It's not the most beautiful, but it catches your eyes, due to the very special Dutch landscape with the canals.
Last flight: SAW-CPH on H9 on 02/11/09 - Next Flights: 23/12/09 CPH-AAL on QI, 30/12/09 CPH-LHR on SK, 19/01/10 CPH-CDG-

Vasu

Mon Nov 07, 2005 6:56 am

My favourite so far has to be the LHR over-the-city route...

AsstChiefMark

Mon Nov 07, 2005 7:07 am

Flying over England en route to LHR is amazing. You can see all the old airfields that the RAF and USA used during WWII. I never realized there were so many!

Mark
Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

ACDC8

Mon Nov 07, 2005 7:11 am

LHR has a great approach flying low over downtown London. KEF is another fantastic approach, especially when it's cold and murky outside with a rough sea, just gives that extra "feel" to arriving in Iceland. AMS is another great approach, especially in the spring when all the tulip beds are blooming.
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

CPH757

Mon Nov 07, 2005 8:20 am

Quoting ACDC8 (Reply 10):
KEF is another fantastic approach, especially when it's cold and murky outside with a rough sea

Done that twice....couldn't see anything at all before touchdown, but I'm so sure that you are right, after I drove around that country for three days in clear weather  Smile
Last flight: SAW-CPH on H9 on 02/11/09 - Next Flights: 23/12/09 CPH-AAL on QI, 30/12/09 CPH-LHR on SK, 19/01/10 CPH-CDG-

deltagator

Mon Nov 07, 2005 1:07 pm

Quoting Vasu (Reply 8):
My favourite so far has to be the LHR over-the-city route...

That is a great one with views of Westminister and the rest of the city. I remember banking over Buckingham Palace. Probably the only way I'll ever get to see into their backyard.

Coming into LHR from the west is also good if you get to see Windsor Castle. Very impressive site.
"If you can't delight in the misery of others then you don't deserve to be a college football fan."

LINATHJNX
Topic Author

Mon Nov 07, 2005 5:16 pm

I see LHR got a lot of preferences

I am sure it is a great approach...I remember walking in London and seeing all these aircraft going to LHR. I was regretting because I've flown to and from STN  Angry

Now I remember also a great approach over the city landing in BCN!

levent

Mon Nov 07, 2005 9:11 pm

Bergen - breathtaking coastline scenery

Bilbao - between the mountains on approach to Rwy 30

Zurich - from the south, overflying the beautiful Alps

deltagator

Tue Nov 08, 2005 5:40 am

Quoting LINATHJNX (Reply 13):
I remember walking in London and seeing all these aircraft going to LHR.

My wife started yelling at me because I kept walking staring up in the sky watching the heavies come into LHR.

One other approach I forgot was into SAN from the east. You fly just south of the Salton Sea and can see the amazing agricultural fields in the middle of the desert. You come quite close to Mount Miguel (covered in transmission antennas) and other peaks before swooping over the interstate and into the airport. Perhaps it is because I like the desert scenery so much but it is a nice approach.

Coming into SLC from the east is also a nice one. You descend until quite close to the Wasatch Range beneath you and then the mountains fall away and you are over the Great Salt Lake or the plains south of the city.

EDIT: I'm such a moron. You asked for Europe and I promptly gave you two approaches in the States. Sorry about that.

[Edited 2005-11-07 21:42:57]
"If you can't delight in the misery of others then you don't deserve to be a college football fan."

zkeoj

Tue Nov 08, 2005 6:47 am

I am always most amazed by the approach to LHR (east-west), if I have a right side window seat. I love cruising along the Thames and see LCY and all the sights - fantastic!

I also love the approach to CGN: Coming from the north you can see the city and the massive cathedral on the right. Coming from the south you see mostly paddocks and forests, but often the house I grew up in - and my parents still living there. That is so close to the airport that I always think I must see them on the motorway on the way to pick me up...

Cheers
micha

LINATHJNX
Topic Author

Tue Nov 08, 2005 8:22 am

Quoting DeltaGator (Reply 15):
EDIT: I'm such a moron. You asked for Europe and I promptly gave you two approaches in the States. Sorry about that.

I asked for Europe only because I fly mostly in Europe... but any entry is equally interesting, so thank you anyway. As I told in the start, I love to watch carefully from the window wherever I am going and I can't understand people who take a window seat and then sleep or read or what else but watching.  Wink

To ZKEOJ
I Know what you mean: everytime I fly from LIN I can see my home seconds after take off!
Thanks to all

Paolo

buckieboy

Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:11 am

EDI

Not so much the city [more the view of the Forth Bridge as you approach from the east (which is normal)].

Sadly, due to the local weather, sometimes the views aren't always special.

As a capital city; on a port and as a smalleish city; Edinburgh is quite unique.

It's not as good as Glasgow, though!

Cheers

Buckieboy
I'm taking orders from bottles of wine

Longhornmaniac

Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:44 am

In 2001, I flew DFW-ZRH on AA 38 (777 at the time) and I remember landing in ZRH (I think runway 14) we did a lot of turns while we were descending, and the view was just stellar. Switzerland is truely one of the most beautiful places I've ever been.
Cheers,
Cameron

atco2b

Tue Nov 08, 2005 7:26 pm

Quoting CrazyHorse (Reply 3):
I love the approach to MUC quite much

I quite agree, landing 26R, flying parallel then descending through base, onto finals. Brilliant!

Quoting LINATHJNX (Thread starter):
IBZ

Another good one!

Im also going to nominate ZTH, but from the ground. Tsilivi on the North of the Island provides a great viewing base for arrivals onto the southerly runway  Smile
Hey, you want to go out for pizza and some sex? What, you don't like pizza?

LINATHJNX
Topic Author

Fri Nov 11, 2005 8:37 am

Thanks a lot to all. Now I know I am unlucky because I have flown into many of the airport you descibed but due to weather or darkness I could not enjoy them.
I will keep in mind your preferences.
Ciao
Paolo

PSAHO88

Fri Nov 11, 2005 4:37 pm

In the rare occasions when you approach Pisa from the north and you are seating on the right side of the aircraft you have a very nice view of the famous Duomo and tower.
Just as a piece of advice...if you are travelling out of PSA always choose an "A" seat. if you take off to the north you will enjoy the same view. It worked for me this morning!

cheers

HT

Fri Nov 11, 2005 5:16 pm

Fly into LCY:
From a right-hand window seat: On a flight MAN - LCY in a F50 we flew past LCY and circumnavigated it to the east, then flew downwind south of LCY, turned 180° taking us over the Houses of Parliament, then along the River Thames over Tower Bridge, past Canary Wharf Tower followed by "normal" approach into LCY.
Best views one can get !
-HT
Carpe diem ! Life is too short to waste your time ! Keep in mind, that today is the first day of the rest of your life !

DavidT

Fri Nov 11, 2005 6:24 pm

HEL - As wea aproached the AY crew put on some soft piano music, was wonderful as we glided effortlessly over the various snowly islands on the finnish coast before rolling over some hills and landing. And the nosewheel cam topped it all off!

fly707

Fri Nov 11, 2005 9:12 pm

Paris CDG arriving at night with clear weather, really one of the best approaches in Europe .

Thanks.
Without mistakes we will never learn

flyfromZRH

Fri Nov 11, 2005 9:46 pm

Hey guys

thank you for nominating my home base ZRH so often. Just to remind you though that very often those cute little "Swiss" villages will in fact be German ones.

klmcedric

Mon Nov 21, 2005 1:19 am

GVA,NCE and here's one that hasn't been mentioned: LIS!!!

HT

Mon Nov 21, 2005 4:07 pm

Quoting KLMCedric (Reply 27):
LIS!!!

I´ll check that one in December Big grin
-HT
Carpe diem ! Life is too short to waste your time ! Keep in mind, that today is the first day of the rest of your life !

poobaboon

Wed Nov 23, 2005 4:53 am

My favourite is ACE, flying over the island looking down on a few volcanoes, then flying past the airport out to sea and turning back on yourself for RW03 you can see all along the coast and sometimes the neighbouring island of Fuerteventura, then before you know it there is a beach and you are down on the runway! the SXM of europe! Not sure if it is strictly in Europe, but it's part of Spain and close enough Smile

Dan
I can't believe my eyes...no winners this time on Takeshi's Castle