omoo

SQ Vs EK Which One Is Prestigious?

Tue Nov 15, 2005 8:14 am

I was involved in a discussion with one of my friends about the A380. Of some reason he believes that EK should have been the first to receive the new Aircraft since they are more "Prestigious" than SQ ! is this true ? What's your opinion about this ? is EK really at the same level as SQ ?

[Edited 2005-11-15 00:17:52]
Fly Air Popobawa

Reggaebird

RE: SQ Vs EK Which One Is Prestigious?

Tue Nov 15, 2005 8:37 am

EK has risen rapidly in the airline industry to become one of the manufacturers' most important customers. However, Singapore Airlines is a longstanding customer for both Boeing and Airbus, while Emirates has a much shorter history with them.

Socially, I think that Emirates is perceived as being "nouveau riche" compared to Singapore's "old money". I also think that SQ is perceived as being a real "gold-chip" customer that is expected to be with us for many years. On the other hand, EK's future, though bright at the moment, could easily become tenuous if the winds of political and fundamentalist change blow cold in her region of the world and upon her "wings".

In summary, Singapore Airlines is, by far, the more prestigious of the two carriers.

Reggaebird

QANTAS077

Tue Nov 15, 2005 8:52 am

Cathay is more prestigious than both of them and they didn't order the A380...money takes 1st spot over prestige, if you pay up first then you'll recieve your goods first! Qantas is probably more prestigious than all of them, 85 years in the air, unmatched safety record etc...depends on what your judging prestige by.

[Edited 2005-11-15 00:53:50]

manni

Tue Nov 15, 2005 11:46 am

Quoting QANTAS077 (Reply 2):
depends on what your judging prestige by.

Going by this definition

adj 1: having an illustrious reputation; respected; "our esteemed leader"; "a prestigious author" [syn: esteemed, honored] 2: exerting influence by reason of high status or prestige; "a prestigious professor at a prestigious university

I would opt for Singapore Airlines, altough when BA stil operated the Concorde and had their huge intercontinental network, BA would have probaply deserved that title.
SUPPORT THE LEBANESE CIVILIANS

Doona

Wed Nov 16, 2005 1:27 am

EK is on the rise, and things will continue to get better for some time before they go bad, but I would say that SQ is more prestigious. More of a recognised name, wouldn't you say?

Cheers
Mats
Sure, we're concerned for our lives. Just not as concerned as saving 9 bucks on a roundtrip to Ft. Myers.

flyf15

Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:26 pm

Definately SQ. EK has too much sand in their home country. I don't like sand... reminds me too much of California.