Eirjet
Topic Author

Ever Sit Beside Someone Famous On A Flight?

Thu Nov 17, 2005 1:07 am

Did a search and I didn't see anything so I do hope this has never being discussed ( I await a flaming)

Have you personally had the experience of sitting beside somone famous - Sports star, movie star, politician etc on a flight?

Eirjet
Aviation has a 100% record, we've never left one up there......

SWALoveField

RE: Ever Sit Beside Someone Famous On A Flight?

Thu Nov 17, 2005 1:09 am

Sat next to Senator Kay Bailey Hutchison (R)-Texas on a WN flight from DAL to HOU.

Robb
Dallas, TX

EI747SYDNEY

Thu Nov 17, 2005 1:13 am

I sat next to Liam Brady on EI once.

He was a famous footballer for Ireland, Arsenal and Juventus.

Rob  wave 
''Live life on the edge, Live each and every day like it's your last, Hell you only live once''

loisencroach

Thu Nov 17, 2005 1:13 am

Sat next to Valerie Bertinelli @ SLC.

Eirjet
Topic Author

Thu Nov 17, 2005 1:14 am

Quoting EI747SYDNEY (Reply 2):
I sat next to Liam Brady on EI once.

I said famous !!! lol  Big grin  Big grin  Big grin  Big grin

Eirjet
Topic Author

Thu Nov 17, 2005 1:14 am

Quoting Loisencroach (Reply 3):
Valerie Bertinelli

Who is she?

CHRISBA777ER

Thu Nov 17, 2005 1:17 am

I sat next to Judge Jules on my flight to Ibiza in the Summer.

Managed to blag some free passes for Judgement Sundays that night but ended up not going.
What do you mean you dont have any bourbon? Do you know how far it is to Houston? What kind of airline is this???

loisencroach

Thu Nov 17, 2005 1:17 am

Quoting Eirjet (Reply 5):

She was on an American TV show in the late '70's...forgot what the hell it was called. She is now the wife of Eddie Van Halen.

Bicoastal

Thu Nov 17, 2005 1:18 am

I found this related topic in about a minute...

http://www.airliners.net/discussions/aviation_polls/read.main/13876/6/
Airliners.net has many forums. It has spell check and search functions. Use them before posting!

Eirjet
Topic Author

Thu Nov 17, 2005 1:21 am

Quoting Bicoastal (Reply 8):

Ahh, apologies Didn't think there was one,

Thanks Bicoastal.

BCAL

Thu Nov 17, 2005 1:24 am

Well I must be getting old as I have not heard of a single person so far mentioned in this thread.
 old 
MOL on SRB's latest attack at BA: "It's like a little Chihuahua barking at a dying Labrador. Nobody cares."

EI747SYDNEY

Thu Nov 17, 2005 1:25 am

Quoting Eirjet (Reply 4):

I said famous

I take it you werent a fan of the silky smooth skills of ''chippy'' in his day laughing 

Rob  wave 
''Live life on the edge, Live each and every day like it's your last, Hell you only live once''

waterpolodan

Thu Nov 17, 2005 1:29 am

Well, that topic is archived so I'll just reply to this one. Flew from Montreal to Miami in '99 on AC, it was the morning after the grand prix which I attended and Rubens Barrichello (the year before he switched to Ferrari) was up in first class, got his autograph at the gate in MIA... Also, my uncle is good friends with Sean Connery as they are neighbors in the bahamas, and we flew with him from paradise island back to miami via bhimini on a chalks grumman seaplane when I was a kid.

fbgdavidson

Thu Nov 17, 2005 1:49 am

JER-LGW this summer in BA Club Europe sat next to Lord Carswell, one of the nine Law Lords (top people in House of Lords). He was only a BA Blue, bless him  Wink

A little more famous...in July 2001 I was flying LHR-LAX with my family in BA First. I checked in my favourite seat, 2A at the desk but when I got to the gate was moved to 4E as Anne 'You Are The Weakest Link' Robinson checked in late and requested my seat  Angry

My father flies a lot more than I and has sat beside the actor Richard Griffiths (Uncle Vernon in Harry Potter movies), Tiff Needell (motoring journalist) and Junior Marvin (lead guitarist with Bob Marley & Wailers). These are the only ones I can remember at the moment, he used to fly every other week up front on BA between LHR-LAX so must have seen more...
"My first job was selling doors, door to door, that's a tough job innit" - Bill Bailey

buckieboy

Thu Nov 17, 2005 2:56 am

Yes,

I've sat next to the Manchester United footballer Dwight Yorke on the extremely antisocial early Monday morning flight from EDI to MAN. It looked like he had taken the trip up north to see his friend Russell Latapy who played for Hibernian the previous evening. He said nothing, whilst on the TV he came across as quite sociable. Also, one row behind the UK TV gardner Charlie Dimmock [EDI to BHX] who (for those of you who haven't heard of her) had quite a large chest and a habit of wearing tight jumpers. Very entertaining to see the behaviour of some of the middle aged men that night.  wink .

Cheers

Buckieboy
I'm taking orders from bottles of wine

rmcf

Thu Nov 17, 2005 4:55 am

Yes... Next to Roberto Carlos, the world famous Real Madrid Brazilian player some years ago on a BCN-MAD. I got his autograph and talked about football. A funny guy!
bye! rmcf

RODOL

Thu Nov 17, 2005 9:04 am

I sat across the aisle from Graeme Souness (former Liverpool and Scotland footballer/soccer player and current Newcastle manager for the unfamiliar), he said hello and was quite pleasant. That was on a bmi A320 MAN-LHR.

scarebus03

Thu Nov 17, 2005 5:57 pm

Hey Eirjet,

do Foster and Allen count?........ Big grin

Brgds

SB03
No faults found......................

BCAL

Thu Nov 17, 2005 10:42 pm

Quoting Fbgdavidson (Reply 13):
was moved to 4E as Anne 'You Are The Weakest Link' Robinson checked in late and requested my seat

These celebrities. Who do they think they are? If Anne 'You Are The Weakest Link' Robinson requested my seat, I would not hesitate to tell her to put her  butthead  where the sun does not shine. Of course, the airline would move me to accommodate her, but it is the principle that counts.

flamed 
MOL on SRB's latest attack at BA: "It's like a little Chihuahua barking at a dying Labrador. Nobody cares."

boeingatl

Thu Nov 17, 2005 10:50 pm

maybe a spin-off thread could be, who sat next to someone well known while flying in coach? My reply would be never.
boeingATL

BCAL

Thu Nov 17, 2005 10:59 pm

Quoting BoeingATL (Reply 19):
who sat next to someone well known while flying in coach? My reply would be never

Sir Adam Thompson, Chairman of BCal, always flew coach when flying his own airline, unless there was a spare seat in First Class after everyone had checked in. He refused any special or priority treatment, preferring that such treatment is given to the passengers who choose to fly his airline.

fbgdavidson

Fri Nov 18, 2005 12:06 am

Quoting BCAL (Reply 18):
These celebrities. Who do they think they are? If Anne 'You Are The Weakest Link' Robinson requested my seat, I would not hesitate to tell her to put her    where the sun does not shine. Of course, the airline would move me to accommodate her, but it is the principle that counts.

At least I wasn't downgraded!

It was funny as I actually read a piece about her in the Sunday Times about filming and travelling to LA and she mentioned in passing that her preferred seat was 2A.
"My first job was selling doors, door to door, that's a tough job innit" - Bill Bailey

deltagator

Fri Nov 18, 2005 12:32 am

While not next to her I was in front of Patti LaBelle on a flight from ATL to PHL last year. She had an entourage of 5 or so folks with her but they were all quite nice, not pushy, bitchy, or overly demanding like some celebrities.
"If you can't delight in the misery of others then you don't deserve to be a college football fan."

ZKSUJ

Fri Nov 18, 2005 6:59 am

Sat behind Ralph Norris once. Was in awe all flight long. (he's the guy that turned NZ from debt to profits in a small time frame)

777ER
Crew

Fri Nov 18, 2005 7:00 pm

Had a few Ministers from parliament either beside me or behind me. Peter Jackson (director of Lord of The Rings) sat beside me once on an AKL-WLG flight.
Head Forum Moderator
moderators@airliners.net for all Moderator contact

AFC_Ajax00

Sat Nov 19, 2005 1:05 am

Edgar Davids (the soccer player) on a KL AMS-JFK flight in C class.
Jerry Seinfeld on a UA transcon from JFK-LAX in F class
Gerard Depardieu on an AF JFK-CDG in C class

There are more but can't seem to remember them!
Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward; for there you long to return

SDLSimme

Sat Nov 19, 2005 8:40 pm

I didn't sit beside him, but I was on the same flight as the Swedish hockey player Niklas Nordgren (now in Carolina Hurricanes) between ARN-SDL. He was on his way back from a mini-tournament with the Swedish national hockey team.
A319-A321, A332-A333, RJ85, B733-B738, B743-B744, B752, B762-B764, B772-B773, CRJ200-CRJ700, Dash 8 Q300-Q400, ERJ 145,

manc

Thu Nov 24, 2005 5:32 am

I sat next to Tony Wilson, Factory Records and ITV presenter  Wink
CDG-MAN, must be a Manc thing!
Also been on the same flight as Blackburn Rovers, Dwight Yorke again, Andy Cole etc etc, Washington-Man.
No URL in signature please

kgfive

Thu Nov 24, 2005 9:01 am

Not sure if this counts but in Dec 2004 I chatted to Danny DiVitto in EWR, I was in the Presidents Club Lounge on route to MCO ( upgraded my OnePass Miles to get the privilege  drunk  ) now I knew he is not very tall but got a shock as I am 6ft 3in and he is approx 4ft something lol. Conversation was not very long as I was over awed by his stature  silly 

Going the same route in few weeks time so hoping to meet a bigger or should I say taller person with more money then me lol

kgfive
fill the skies

BCAL707

Thu Nov 24, 2005 9:50 am

I was 14, on a flight with my father from LAX to IAD, March 1976 on a TWA L-1011. Since it was the first leg of our journey to moving to West Africa, his company paid First Class for us. First Class on this aircraft had round tables with about 4 seats configured around it, in addition to some seats in regular rows. Shortly after lift off, James Garner motioned me and Dad over to play some gin rummy at one of the tables!! I was in awe, because Rockford Files was all the rage, and he was a pretty well known actor! couldn't have been nicer.

Sat next to the guy who played Frank Burns on the TV show M*A*S*H* back around 1980 or so, SFO-LAX. He didn't say much and I kept quiet.

My mother, my sister and I were on the return leg of the inaugural Pan Am 747 flight JFK-LHR-JFK (I want to think late 1969?). We were connecting in from Istanbul via Frankfurt and didn't even know we would be on a brand new 747 let alone the return leg of the inaugural flight! As I recall, the flight was not very full, and I was able to wander all up and down the seemingly endless aisles. Anyway, we were up front, and my mother was sitting across from Olivia de Havilland whom my mother described as "lovely and charming". I didn't know who she was at the time since I was only about 7 or 8.

There have been others, but I can't think of them right now....

aerorobnz

Thu Nov 24, 2005 7:21 pm

Quoting Fbgdavidson (Reply 13):
I checked in my favourite seat, 2A at the desk but when I got to the gate was moved to 4E as Anne 'You Are The Weakest Link' Robinson checked in late and requested my seat

I wouldn't have just taken that if you were checked in beforehand (and your Fflyer status too). That is unacceptable treatment of you- a premium passenger. As a CSA I treat celebrities no different to anyone else unless they actually have Star Gold Status or higher. If they request the seat and it is already gone, then I just tell them it is unavailable. End of story, it's the same rules for everybody...
Flown to 120 Airports in 44 Countries on 73 Operators. Visited 55 Countries and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

EI747SYDNEY

Fri Nov 25, 2005 8:55 pm

Quoting AFC_Ajax00 (Reply 25):
Edgar Davids (the soccer player)

Great player, just a pity he plays for Tottenham now  bitelip 

Rob  wave 

Aviation

Fri Nov 25, 2005 8:58 pm

My dear friend once strapped pharlaps heart into a economy seat on QF.

Weird....  Wink

Cheers,
Signed, Aaron Nicoli - Trans World Airlines Collector

kgfive

Sat Nov 26, 2005 5:22 am

Quoting Aviation (Reply 32):
My dear friend once strapped pharlaps heart into a economy seat on QF

Best race horse there ever was and as usual the criminals got their way in the end.....nothing to do with the topic I know but wanted to reply....  crying 
fill the skies

717-200

Sat Nov 26, 2005 6:04 am

Was non-revving on DL RDU-CVG one very early morning on an MD-88
The agent put me in F which was very nice. I did not realize it until
midway through the flight that I was sitting next to former longtime
UNC Basketball Coach and Legend Dean Smith until some lady going
back to coach from the front lav stopped to talk to him. I did not
say a word to him at all throughout the entire flight mainly because
I was still waking up and seeing a celeb in person is really not a big
deal to me.
72S 733 734 735 73G 738 742 752 763 E190 M82 M83

slashd0t

Sat Nov 26, 2005 9:17 am

I sat a couple rows in front of David Usher on a Westjet flight from YYZ-YEG.. Funny thing, there was an article on him in that months westjet inflight magazine  Smile

David Usher is a well known muscian (Used to be the front man for Moist) here in Canada.

I turned around and got him to autograph my copy of the magazine for me  Smile
/.

EI747SYDNEY

Sat Nov 26, 2005 8:40 pm

Oh yeah just remembered. But hey don't think this counts but I met Paul Gascoigne at LHR terminal 1. He was rushing around and asked me where the Scottish departures went from, I showed him and he was very grateful.

Rob  wave 

lordanmol

Sun Nov 27, 2005 11:55 am

Ive sat next to the head of telecommunications in India, but as soon as takeoff he ditched me.

Regards
Hmmmmm....

iairallie

Sun Nov 27, 2005 2:17 pm

Senator Joe Leiberman, well across the aisle, on the NY-DC delta shuttle.
Enough about flying lets talk about me!