gusnyc

St. Maartin... Under The Plane Or On The Side?

Mon Nov 21, 2005 4:24 am

Hi!

I just came from a cruise around the Caribbean, and I had the great opportunity to stop at St. Maartin, Princess Juliana to watch the planes (thanks to everybody who help me with this in another topic I posted).

I stood under the path of the planes (the 744 and A340) and it was very impressive (I have some videos from that).

Anyway, I saw some pics from the other people who were looking at the planes from a bar next to the beach (watching the planes from the side).

If you went, or if you would have the chance to be there, what would you do? Would you stand on the path of the plane to see it from underneath or would you prefer to see the landings from the side?

Just curious.

Gus

MarshalN

RE: St. Maartin... Under The Plane Or On The Side?

Mon Nov 21, 2005 5:23 am

I think I will try both -- under and on the side. The closest I've been to a flying jumbo is in Kowloon City in Hong Kong right under the flight path. There I think the plane is a few hundred feet above ground, at best, and the sound is defening. But at SXM this is much closer  Smile

gusnyc

Mon Nov 21, 2005 7:47 am

I have to say that I was a little bit scared when I saw those big engines come SO close to myself! The sound was definitely loud!!!

Molykote

Mon Nov 21, 2005 5:54 pm

Just as good is standing here during takeoff:

It was great.
Speedtape - The aspirin of aviation!