captaink

Non - Stop / Direct / Connections

Mon Nov 28, 2005 1:24 pm

My friend and I are having a conversation on which is preferred.

I love airplanes, and I can fly all day, so I absolutely love connections, aircraft and even airline changes on my trips.

I pretty much detest non-stop flights. Directs are a little better.

So what are you?

Non-Stop/Direct/Connections

P.S. i was too lazy to see if this was posted recently
There is something special about planes....

777ER
Crew

RE: Non - Stop / Direct / Connections

Mon Nov 28, 2005 1:34 pm

Latly I've been doing a bit of connecting flights to/from Australia and will be doing another connecting flight next week back from Australia. If it means getting to my arrival port at a good time, ie not late afternoon/evening/night time then I will do direct, but if a connecting flight gets me to my arrival port at a better time then a direct, like morning or afternoon then I will connect.
Head Forum Moderator
moderators@airliners.net

i530j

Tue Nov 29, 2005 9:35 am

I love connecting flight you get to see more a/c but i kinda dislike stoping in ATL cuase its either DAL or FL over and over again.

Justin
"I love you, I love the kids..." then the phone went dead.

MarshalN

Tue Nov 29, 2005 10:26 am

Yeah, it totally depends on where the stop is. There's no way in hell I will voluntarily fly through ORD, for example, unless there's no choice.

deltagator

Thu Dec 01, 2005 5:05 am

Back when I was single and Delta counted segments for Medallion status I had no problem connecting every week. Now that I'm married and Delta only counts MQMs I prefer to fly non-stop so I can get home and get yelled at by wife for being gone all week earning a living. biggrin  Another reason for non-stops is that the chance of a missed connection is lower due to weather issues. Luckily DL has non-stops to almost everywhere I have needed to fly in the past couple of years out of ATL.

Quoting I530j (Reply 2):
but i kinda dislike stoping in ATL cuase its either DAL or FL over and over again.

As compared to...?
ORD which is all UA or AA
DFW which is all AA
DTW or MSP which is all NW
EWR and IAH which is all CO
CLT or PHL which is all US (along with WN in PHL)
"If you can't delight in the misery of others then you don't deserve to be a college football fan."

PanAm747

Thu Dec 01, 2005 6:32 am

It depends for me.

Airplane type? A connection might include a different type of airplane for me to add to my "I've Flown On" list. I have never flown non-stop to/from Chicago willingly with UA, as it has always meant the chance to fly on a 777 or 747-400 domestically.

Connecting city? Salt Lake City (SLC) and Denver (DEN) have spectacular views and are both very nice airports. Chicago (ORD) in late May, no...one speck of rain and three days later flights are only starting to get caught up.

Length of flight? Hard to say with that one. For me, I have no real preference, as I can get up and stretch (most of the time).

What other considerations can we come up with?
Pan Am:The World's Most Experienced Airline - P(oor) S(ailor's) A(irline): San Diego's Hometown Airline-Catch Our Smile!

B742

Thu Dec 01, 2005 7:11 am

Depends with me!

Lately I've been flying with connections to Asia! I've been recently flying between DXB and DOH to get to Asia (mostly KUL, HKG and BKK)

But I am starting to go back to non-stop flights to Asia, recently flying on TG and CX!

I mix between non-stop and connecting flights, depending on the destination and airlines available!

When I visit the US I usualy fly direct, but this time when travelling to SFO I flew on CO via EWR!

Rob!  wave 

ZKSUJ

Thu Dec 01, 2005 8:20 pm

Connections are great. Unless it is urgent then I go direct. But however in NZ, if you go connections, it usually ends up being more expensive, so we travel direct mainly.

FLAIRPORT

Fri Dec 02, 2005 1:10 pm

Well, here is my situation:

Living in FLL most of my life, and living the rest of it in ATL, and making trips to BDL and LGA most often, I have only had to connect once and have a direct thru flight once. Every other flight has been n/s. I am trying something new...WN through BWI this spring break...so we shall see.
NEXT FLIGHT: FLL-ATL-HPN on FL

AirCop

Sat Dec 03, 2005 12:28 pm

Non-stops hands down when ever possible if the price is the same. Recently I had to fly on short notice from Phoenix to Dulles. One stop on United was $286 nonstop was over $800. I made the stop.. From Phoenix any flight to the Europe continent requires a connections somewhere..so its a case of where.

cedars747

Sun Dec 11, 2005 9:44 am

My best ever flight was from Moscow to Santiago de Chile via Luxemburg-Shannon-Miami onboard an SU IL-62M
Tengo una pasion por la aviacion !لدي شغف للطيران !I have a passion for aviation !Jeg har en lidenskap for luftfart!j'ai

SFOMB67

Sun Dec 11, 2005 2:31 pm

About 10 yrs ago, my wife & I flew SFO-CDG. Coming back we flew CDG-IAD-SFO in one day. That return flight "wasted" me.
Not as easy as originally perceived

Longhornmaniac

Mon Dec 12, 2005 5:06 am

Connections are fun, if you ask me. The last several years I've gone AUS-MSP via DFW and ORD on AA. Now the main point of that is to get the T7 between DFW-ORD and vice versa, but its just gives you something to do. Nonstops are boring for the most part.
Cheers,
Cameron

exFATboy

Tue Dec 13, 2005 2:57 pm

For shorter flights (say, NYC to Florida), I prefer direct flights. A connection adds 50% or more to the total time of the flight.

That being said, though, if I can connect in ATL and fly into SRQ instead of TPA, I get the hour back in not having to drive from TPA to my brother's place in Bradenton (he lives five minutes from SRQ), so I'll take the connection if the price is right.

(Even if it means paying the most I've ever paid for a Checkers burger at ATL. AAUUUGGGHHH!!!!)

For longer flights, I'll happily take a connection - it's nice to break up the monotony of a flight from NYC to California or Vegas.

malb777

Mon Dec 26, 2005 1:24 pm

I prefer the stopovers on flights from Oz to Europe. I remember the first flight downunder was routed Lon-Fra-Bah-Kul-Sing-Syd.1974 747-200 QF
The next time it was the more traditional Syd-Sing-Bah-Lon Ret 747-300 QF

Now it is Syd -Sing-Lon and that SIng-Lon flight drives me up the wall I have tried both day and night flights but 14 hours is just to long for me .
I have looked around for airlines that offer more stops but cannot find any so it looks like the dreaded 14 hr again in March when I head back to London & Prague
thank god i was not born a bird. this type of flying is much better