nwafflyer

Flights From The UK

Sat Dec 03, 2005 11:15 am

Why do people flying from the UK to the US always fly BA/AA? Don't they realize they won't get the points/miles from AA? Always baffles me. If they are ff flyers, they would do so much better on either CO thru EWR, or NWA/KLM thru AMS

AirCop

RE: Flights From The UK

Sat Dec 03, 2005 12:14 pm

It all depends on where you live. Out west flying BA will get you FF miles on Alaska, and until this month America West. I agreed it doesn't make an sense for an AA FF to fly BA. America West FF also got miles on Virgin, so we had the best of both worlds. With Alaska you also get miles on American, NW, CO, and DL.

fbgdavidson

Sun Dec 04, 2005 12:01 pm

Quoting Nwafflyer (Thread starter):
Why do people flying from the UK to the US always fly BA

Because they are better than NW, CO, DL, < insert bankrupt US carrier that charges for booze >  Wink
"My first job was selling doors, door to door, that's a tough job innit" - Bill Bailey

nwafflyer

Sun Dec 04, 2005 1:36 pm

NW does not charge for booze, and CO is not bankrupt -- and I do not understand why a BA ff flyer will tolerate the loss in points if they fly on AA

AirCop

Sun Dec 04, 2005 1:46 pm

and AA does charge for booze

nwafflyer

Sun Dec 04, 2005 1:59 pm

Yep, so let's skip AA -- they're the most arrogant carrier out there, my least favorite airline

crox1

Sun Dec 04, 2005 3:38 pm

Hi,

As a UK resident that normally only flies across the "Pond" for holidays, ie; someone that does not qualify for points/miles, we tend to choose on price rather than gaining miles and upgrade.

Personally I have flown across the Atlantic on nearly 20 occasions, and, in that time I have flown AA twice, and, have not flown BA at all. The rest of the times have been shared between, Virgin, US, Continental, United and NWA.

Myself, I fly according to price first alongside convenience, then service, but least of all free miles.

Andy
Both optimists and pessimists contribute to the society. The optimist invents the aeroplane, the pessimist the parachute

ozvirginuk

Mon Dec 05, 2005 2:32 am

As a staff member for the only UK rival to BA on transatlantic from London, I can assure you that people don't always fly BA/AA otherwise we'd have gone out of business.

I do support your comments about the stingy nature of points earning (especially in Y) on most oneworld carriers. Prior to joining VS I was (and still am) a UA mileage plus premier exec (S/A gold) as UA give miles for EVERYTHING, even Ted flights. VS Flying club is also VERY generous, minimum miles is 100% in economy and a whopping 125% for Y,B classes on USA routes. (not 25% like you get from a certain other british carrier on cheap Y seats!)

Quoting Crox1 (Reply 6):
Myself, I fly according to price first alongside convenience, then service, but least of all free miles.

I dare say that you are not alone there, price is one the most important factors for the holidaymaker, but I think you should seriously consider joining an FF and sticking to an airline that you like, once you have a few trips up your sleeve, the rewards can be pretty good.

Ozvirginuk