Vio
Topic Author

Pilots - Who Was Your First Passenger?

Mon Dec 05, 2005 12:08 am

Hey,

All of us who have at least a PPL, have flown someone for the first time. I was just wondering, who was your first passenger? Mine was my best friend who is a plane nut like me. I wanted to be my father, but, he lives too far away from me  Smile

Cheers,

Vio
Superior decisions reduce the need for superior skills.

turnit56N

RE: Pilots - Who Was Your First Passenger?

Mon Dec 05, 2005 12:36 am

My parents a week after I got my PPL. I was almost as nervous as they were.
Aviation is not so much a profession as it is a disease.

KFLLCFII

Mon Dec 05, 2005 1:38 am

My mother and grandfather.

I'm particularly glad I had the opportunity to take my grandfather up, as just a few months later he developed a condition that he never recovered from. He held a PPL himself, which he received on October 29, 1949 (I know because I have his logbook).

Since the day of our flight, he hadn't flown in over 20 years. Needless to say, he was thoroughly impressed with the latest & greatest avionics; I too was impressed with how well he handled the craft after such a long break!

It's been over 2 years since he passed, and I still miss him. One thing's for certain though: That will never change!
"About the only way to look at it, just a pity you are not POTUS KFLLCFII, seems as if we would all be better off."

Euclid

Mon Dec 05, 2005 4:01 am

Shucks, what a question. I got my PPL in 1989 and now, thinking back, I can for the life of me not remember the first flight I did with passengers, but I do suspect it would have been my dad. He did fly with me quite a lot back then. It would have been a great memory jogger if I could just look it up in my logbook, but my original logbook was stolen a few years ago when my car was broken into.  hissyfit 

No, I did not have copies of it and yes, I know it was stupid of me not to have kept copies.

Regards

thepilot

Mon Dec 05, 2005 5:34 am

MY first passengers were both my parents. We flew around Seattle out of BFI, and up to FHR.
From YVR

ACDC8

Mon Dec 05, 2005 5:41 am

My Mommy and Daddy were my first passengers. The sad thing was, that I got my PPL in 1995, one day before I moved to Germany, so right after I finished my flight test, we drove down to YVR for my flight to AMS/DUS. So I never got to take them up until 1999. It was fun though, just did a 1 hour sight seeing flight around YLW and YVK.
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

OzLAME

Mon Dec 05, 2005 9:25 am

My girlfriend at the time; we went up in a Beechcraft Musketeer and flew around above Sydney. She enjoyed it very much even though it was by far the smallest aircraft she'd ever been in.
Monty Python's Flying Circus has nothing to do with aviation, except perhaps for Management personnel.

727EMflyer

Mon Dec 05, 2005 11:58 am

Well, Since the DPE is supposed to be an observer, not required flight crew.... Regardless of name, unless you are making illegal flights the DPE was the first passenger for each of us.  duck 

KFLLCFII

Mon Dec 05, 2005 12:42 pm

Quoting 727EMflyer (Reply 7):
Regardless of name, unless you are making illegal flights the DPE was the first passenger for each of us.

Not here buddy  Wink My part 141 end-of-course check was administered by an instructor with a check-airman authorization. HE acted as PIC for the duration of the flight, and the time was logged as dual-received.

My mother and grandfather, as I previously said, were my first passengers.
"About the only way to look at it, just a pity you are not POTUS KFLLCFII, seems as if we would all be better off."

APFPilot1985

Mon Dec 05, 2005 1:36 pm

My mom, we flew down to MTH and I had to land in a freaking nasty cross wind.
Stand Up and Be Counted Visit Site Related to Voice your opinion

KFLLCFII

Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:21 pm

Quoting APFPilot1985 (Reply 9):
My mom, we flew down to MTH and I had to land in a freaking nasty cross wind.

Yeah, Marathon's infamous for that. I had the *pleasure* during my comm'l long solo cross-country  biting 

IAHFLYR

Tue Dec 06, 2005 3:07 am

My finacee from FMY flying around the local area and over Sanibel Island in a C172, many many moons ago!
Any views shared are strictly my own and do not a represent those of any former employer.

xjramper

Tue Dec 06, 2005 3:24 am

Technically speaking, my DPE was my first passenger.

But the way the thread intended it, my buddy Dave was my first pax.

XJR
Look ma' no hands!

jspitfire

Tue Dec 06, 2005 10:36 am

I took my parents up just a few days after getting my PPL. The sad thing is, with all the training and University I've been doing....I haven't had a chance to take anyone else up, and I got my PPL in August 04!

Jason

Fly2HMO

Tue Dec 06, 2005 12:34 pm

I've flown many times with other people in a skyhawk. But 99% of the time they were my friends; which all had or were working in their PPLs. The remaining 1% my parents and brother.

zkeoj

Wed Dec 07, 2005 6:57 pm

wow - I am amazed how many of you took your parents! My parents love flying on commercial jets, but they still don't even know I have a PPL. They wouldn't be able to have one night's sleep anymore, being scared something could happen to me!
I took my flatmate on my first flight without instructor. It was on a C152 shortly after I got my PPL...

Great thread, btw!

Cheers
micha

skoorb

Thu Dec 08, 2005 8:29 pm

I lovingly refer to her as 'that bitch', though most know her as my ex-girlfriend...  Smile
pumping up the jam

Saleem

Thu Dec 08, 2005 11:38 pm

My Brother, Must be my parents if they could. My Mother is very afraid of Flying (specially on Ultralight), and my Father could not due to Health issues.

burnsie28

Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:01 am

I hope that all those above paid at least 50% for their flight time, otherwise the FAA might be after you  Wink atleast in the US anyway.

KFLLCFII

Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:09 pm

Quoting Burnsie28 (Reply 18):
I hope that all those above paid at least 50% for their flight time, otherwise the FAA might be after you

Negative. §61.113(c) does not say that I have to pay 50%. However, it DOES say that I have to pay "not less than the pro rata share..."

I had two passengers onboard, so therefore I had to pay not less than my pro rata share of 33 1/3%.

jspitfire

Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:58 pm

Quoting Burnsie28 (Reply 18):
I hope that all those above paid at least 50% for their flight time

I thought that, here in Canada at least, with you're PPL you were just not allowed to make any profit from you're flying. So if someone else wants to pay for the rental and fuel or whatever, that is ok. Is it any different if it's you're parents paying for it?

Jason

ACDC8

Fri Dec 09, 2005 5:12 pm

Quoting Jspitfire (Reply 20):
I thought that, here in Canada at least, with you're PPL you were just not allowed to make any profit from you're flying. So if someone else wants to pay for the rental and fuel or whatever, that is ok. Is it any different if it's you're parents paying for it?

If you have your PPL in Canada, you are not allowed to receive compensation for your flying services. You can get someone to pay for the rental/fuel etc., but you are not allowed to receive money for yourself. You still may want to be careful about that though, just to be on the safe side. But bottom line is if your parents or friends want to fly around for an hour or so, just ask them for the money to pay for the rental and you're all set.
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

VSGirl

Sat Dec 10, 2005 9:21 am

Gosh this was a few years ago but it was my Dad and Sister.

They where both scared at the time, not sure if it was me, or the aircraft which made it worse! Lol

Kimb.