GEG
Topic Author

Help Getting To Disneyland

Fri Dec 30, 2005 2:08 am

Ok, so I found out today that My family is going to Disneyland. We are beginning to look at packages but we want to see if booking the flights separately will save some money. We want to leave GEG on June 16th and come back on June 21st. I do not know which airport is the closest so I do not know where to begin on this. There will be 5 adults and my son who is 8. Does anyone have suggestions on an airline or what airport to choose? Also any ideas on airfare would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much. -Dan Big grin
I have no idea what I'm doing...

Coronado990

RE: Help Getting To Disneyland

Fri Dec 30, 2005 2:24 am

Alaska, United and Southwest would be the three I'd look into. SNA-John Wayne Orange County is the closest airport, within 10 miles. LAX is about 35 miles away or so.

AS has GEG-LAX non-stops once a day that run about 364.40 R/T and SNA flights run about 378.30 R/T on AS connecting flights thru SEA or PDX.

WN does not publish schedules and fares that far advance so you will have to wait for that one.
Uncle SAN at your service!

flyabunch

Fri Dec 30, 2005 2:26 am

Your closest airport choice is John Wayne, SNA. It tends to be a more expensive choice though. In my experience, flights and car rentals are more expensive and will usually override the SNA proximity advantage.

I think you will find that LAX, although farther away, will give you more flight choices, cheaper flights, and cheaper rental cars. And, if you arrive and leave during non-rush hour times, you can be to Disneyland in about 45 - 60 minutes.

Mike

GEG
Topic Author

Fri Dec 30, 2005 2:56 am

Do you know how long it will be until WN updates their schedules out that far?

-Dan

Coronado990

Fri Dec 30, 2005 4:10 am

Hopefully pretty quick. I would think WN might want to start selling their summer seats as soon as the new year gets under way.

exarmywarrant

Fri Dec 30, 2005 4:34 am

You might also want to consider Ontario, CA (ONT). The distance from Disneyland is about the same.

bhmbaglock

Fri Dec 30, 2005 5:13 am

Currently they are doing through 9 June, wait two weeks and check them but it looks like their best fares are no better than AS looking at the same thing two weeks earlier.

Just taking a quick look, you'll do a lot better with a package. Travelocity has one that's only a few dollars more than the airfare including the hotel.
Where are all of my respected members going?

HPLASOps

Fri Dec 30, 2005 5:44 am

HP flies GEG to SNA. Also, is LGB closer to Disneyland than SNA is? If so, HP flies to LGB as well as SNA. May or may not be cheaper, cannot vouch either way.
"Just because I know how to get off a freeway doesn't mean I know how to get back on!" - Retard Joe

wedgetail737

Fri Dec 30, 2005 5:53 am

AS also flies from SEA to LGB. SNA is closer but LGB is not that much further away. Both airports have good freeway access. LGB is a lot less busy than SNA and fewer airline choices.

IMO LAX is too far away and too chaotic. If you had a choice between LAX and ONT, I would definitely pick ONT.

If you fly AS, you'll have to connect in either PDX or SEA. On WN, you can connect at OAK. On UA, you would have to connect at SFO.

Daleaholic

Fri Dec 30, 2005 5:55 am

Which Disneyland though? Have I missed something?
Religion is an illusion of childhood... Outgrown under proper education.

luisca

Fri Dec 30, 2005 5:56 am

maybe it is cheaper to fly to disney world in orlando than to disneyland, I know that was the case for some freinds of us that lived in oregon.
If it ain't Boeing (or Embraer ;-)) I ain't Going!

wedgetail737

Fri Dec 30, 2005 5:57 am

There is only one Disneyland in the U.S. Disneyworld is near Orlando, FL. Now, if you're talking international, there's a Disneyland in Paris, Tokyo and Hong Kong.

Feroze

Fri Dec 30, 2005 5:58 am

Quoting Daleaholic (Reply 9):
Which Disneyland though? Have I missed something?

Disney World is the Florida one, Disneyland is in California...IIRC!

Regards,

Feroze

Daleaholic

Oh right Disneyland and Disney World are different things. Sorry about that.
Religion is an illusion of childhood... Outgrown under proper education.

S12PPL

I'd look into AS. Alaska has "Kids Fly Free To Disneyland" goin on. You might check www.alaskaair.com for the details.

Everyone pretty much knows my feelings about WN  Wink

HP/US is pretty good. They may be a good option for you guys as well.

United will get you to LAX, and then you would have to drive, or take a puddle hopper to SNA
Next Flights: 12/31 AS804 PDX-MCO 2/3 AS19 MCO-SEA QX2545 SEA-PDX

fxramper

Fri Dec 30, 2005 5:59 am

AA vactions offers packages to fly in from DFW/ORD n/s to SNA and stay in the Disneyland Hotel or surrounding area. I have an annual pass to the Most Magical Place on Earth! I didn't get to go home this year, and I envy your trip!

Pilot-in-Command, somewhere over Fantasy Land!  Smile

Goldenshield

Fri Dec 30, 2005 6:03 am

Technically speaking, it's The Magic Kingdom in Orlando, and Disneyland in Anahiem.
Two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun.

burnsie28

Fri Dec 30, 2005 6:28 am

FYI Disneyland SUCKS! If you can get something close in price go to Disneyworld, its a lot bigger, and there is a lot more to do. I went to Disneyland this summer, and it was the biggest waste of money.

burnsie28

Fri Dec 30, 2005 6:34 am

I just looked at airfare, Orlando is actually about $75 per person cheaper then SNA, $30 cheaper pp then long beach, $60 per person then LAX, $55 per person then BUR, and $70 per person cheaper in air fare then going to ONT. I found Disneyland/Orlando offer A LOT more then the the Disneyland/Anaheim area, more theme parks, restuarants, etc. Also Orlando tends to be a bit cheaper overall for food and things like that. My suggestion, go to Disneyworld/Orlando.

[Edited 2005-12-29 22:38:14]

bhmbaglock

Fri Dec 30, 2005 6:41 am

Quoting Goldenshield (Reply 16):
Technically speaking, it's The Magic Kingdom in Orlando, and Disneyland in Anahiem.

Actually, it's Disneyland Resort and Walt Disney World Resort if you want the proper names. Disneyland Resort includes the original Disneyland park along with the new California Adventure Park.

Disney World Resort includes the original Magic Kingdom Park along with Epcot(part of the original plan for Disney World even if it's nothing like what Walt wanted as executed), Disney/MGM, Animal Kingdom, etc.

They each also include a variety of hotels, shopping, etc. as part of the resort, i.e. Downtown Disney, Pleasure Island, etc.
Where are all of my respected members going?

HPLASOps

Fri Dec 30, 2005 6:43 am

While we're on the topic of Disney - when going to Disneyworld in Orlando, is MCO or Sanford (using G4) the better option? Or is there a smaller airport SW of Orlando that gets you in closer? And also, where is Disneyland Paris in relation to CDG? And Tokyo Disney to NRT?
"Just because I know how to get off a freeway doesn't mean I know how to get back on!" - Retard Joe

nkops

Fri Dec 30, 2005 7:05 am

Quoting HPLASOps (Reply 20):
when going to Disneyworld in Orlando, is MCO or Sanford (using G4) the better option?

SFB is much further away.. If you get a package, go to MCO because Disney will supply the trans to the parks via the "Magical Express".. Be forewarned, if you use the transportation, your luggage won't arrive to the hotel to appx 4-6 hrs later in most cases. Hope this helps a little.
:evil:

Goldenshield

Fri Dec 30, 2005 7:37 am

Quoting BHMBAGLOCK (Reply 19):
Actually, it's Disneyland Resort and Walt Disney World Resort if you want the proper names.

Correct, and to clarify: if you want to talk about either park, and not the supporting area, then my post would be correct.  Wink
Two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun.

N1120A

Fri Dec 30, 2005 7:15 pm

Quoting HPLASOps (Reply 7):
Also, is LGB closer to Disneyland than SNA is?

SNA is closest, then LGB, then LAX (believe it or not), then ONT. ONT, however, will have the best traffic flow of the 4.

Quoting S12PPL (Reply 14):
United will get you to LAX, and then you would have to drive, or take a puddle hopper to SNA

United can get you from SFO to SNA so you only do a single connect.

Quoting Burnsie28 (Reply 17):
I went to Disneyland this summer, and it was the biggest waste of money.

Dems fighting words in the 909  Silly
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

PHKLM

Fri Dec 30, 2005 9:24 pm

also, where is Disneyland Paris in relation to CDG?

It is 40km by car or roughly 30 mins.
There also is a direct TGV connection, which is the famous French high speed train. It takes 10 minutes, but I doubt it'll reach a speed over -say- 200km/h on this stretch, as it is very short.
Check www.viamichelin.com or Google Earth for Maps or a Sat view.

GEG
Topic Author

Sat Dec 31, 2005 12:21 am

Thank you everyone for the help, we are hoping to book everything in the next couple of days. I think we are going to try to gly into ONT just to avoid LAX. With 6 of us traveling we want to try to keep things as simple as possible. Thank you all again.

-Dan

Coronado990

Sat Dec 31, 2005 12:32 am

The only reason I would even bothered mentioning LAX is because GEG has a non-stop in that market. That makes things simple too.

deltagator

Thu Jan 05, 2006 1:41 pm

While we're on the topic of Disney - when going to Disneyworld in Orlando, is MCO or Sanford (using G4) the better option? Or is there a smaller airport SW of Orlando that gets you in closer? And also, where is Disneyland Paris in relation to CDG? And Tokyo Disney to NRT?

MCO is the only way to go. You might find some cheaper flights into TPA though and it isn't a bad drive. EuroDisney is NE of Paris and has a spur off of the Eurostar to it. Tokyo Disney is on the NE side of Tokyo Bay and SW of NRT.
"If you can't delight in the misery of others then you don't deserve to be a college football fan."

piercey

Thu Jan 05, 2006 2:58 pm

FYI Disneyland SUCKS! If you can get something close in price go to Disneyworld, its a lot bigger, and there is a lot more to do. I went to Disneyland this summer, and it was the biggest waste of money.

Been to 'land twice. Better for little kids, not for older kids/teens or large groups. Disneyland would be better if you paired it with something else in the area (Universial, SeaWorld San Diego, Legoland). Just be prepaired for lots of stop and go!

btw: World over Land if you want a one stop shop for all of the trip.

edit: LAX cheapest and the way I've went both times  Wink

[Edited 2006-01-05 07:00:22]
Well I believe it all is coming to an end. Oh well, I guess we are gonna pretend.

boeingfever777

Thu Jan 05, 2006 5:14 pm

Must be cause you could only ride the Tea Cups and Small World After All... Some ppl prefer California Adventure.
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre.

GEG
Topic Author

Wed Jan 11, 2006 8:01 am

We are going to Disneyland, Disneyland California, SeaWorld and the San Diego Zoo. Should be a busy week, I am looking forward to it immensely as it will be a much needed break!!!

Thanks again for all the help.
-Dan Big grin