rootsair

Turbulence: Does It Scare You Or You Like It?

Tue Jan 03, 2006 4:37 am

Turbulence... turbulence...good old turbulence...

Last august I took a flight to JNB from ZRH....half of it was turbulence..

This december I took MAD-SJO and SJP-PTY-MAD and only once there was turbulence..

personally i'm not a big fan of turbulence and worst when it gets heavy...however I don't get scared by turbulence as much as before..

some people find it freaky others fun others indifferent

what category do you fit

Cheers

BM
A man without the knowledge of his past history,culture and origins is like a tree without roots

EZYAirbus

RE: Turbulence: Does It Scare You Or You Like It?

Tue Jan 03, 2006 4:39 am

Bumpier the better i say!

Glenn
http://www.glenneldridgeaviation.com

Tom12

Tue Jan 03, 2006 4:58 am

Quoting EZYAirbus (Reply 1):

Yeah totally agree......i think heavy turbulance is super!

Tom
"Per noctem volamus" - Royal Air Force Bomber Squadron IX

PMN

Tue Jan 03, 2006 5:24 am

Yup I'm in the turbulence fan club, just as long as I haven't been awake for 36 hours before boarding the plane. It's much less fun then.

Paul
Edith in his bed, a plane in the rain is humming, the wires in the walls are humming some song - some mysterious song

FlyingDutchman

Tue Jan 03, 2006 5:30 am

Quoting PMN (Reply 3):
Yup I'm in the turbulence fan club,

So do I

Bud hold The Coffee I take that afterwards

Flyingdutchman

YoungFlyer

Tue Jan 03, 2006 5:41 am

You all are crazy!
But seriously, I wish I was like you guys in flights. I almost pee in my pants every little bump. I never got sick on a plane, but the thought of that happening scares the crap out of me.
Dan
"An eye for an eye only makes the whole world blind" -Gandhi

Timology

Tue Jan 03, 2006 6:02 am

I don't really mind turbulence, just when it gets more agressive. One time on a flight with AF enroute SIN-CDG, we dropped a couple of metres, the FO said, or something like that. That was 5 years back or something. Scared the hell out of me.
"Arm in arm we are the harmless sociopaths"

USADreamliner

Tue Jan 03, 2006 6:09 am

I LOVE IT!!!

No turbulence-No fun!

USADreamliner  Smile

skysurfer

Tue Jan 03, 2006 6:14 am

To me, it's not been much of a flight unless there's been some turbulence.
The 2 bumpiest flights i've ever been on was an EI 737 DUB-MAN and a Canadi>n Regional BE1900D. The 737 was all over the place on approach and just before touchdown the right wing dropped and as the pilot was correcting that the left main gear slammed onto the runway...gotta love it  Smile
The BE1900D was memorable because we approached YGK over Lake Ontario in the dark, and the pilots left the curtain open, so i could see the runway 'moving' wildly up and down etc in relation to the cockpit windows. Awesome

Cheers
In the dark you can't see ugly, but you can feel fat

HT

Tue Jan 03, 2006 6:15 am

While I like and prefer a smooth fligth, turbulances do not scare me. Neither in a big jet nor in a small prop.

I only would wish for it, that they do not occur when I have any drinks in front of me.
I DO know how it feels to get two glasses of OJ poured over a person ! In my case it was accidentally done by a FA, who hardly apologized afterwards - anyhow she seemed to have had a very bad day that day.
Fortunately this happened on my way home and it was only a 3h flight.
The negative thing I learned:Those fruit particles in OJ are hard to remove from a sweater !
The positive thing I learned: Clothes dry very fast in a a/c cabin (due to the low humidity) !
-HT
Carpe diem ! Life is too short to waste your time ! Keep in mind, that today is the first day of the rest of your life !

aerorobnz

Tue Jan 03, 2006 6:47 am

Quoting PMN (Reply 3):
Yup I'm in the turbulence fan club, just as long as I haven't been awake for 36 hours before boarding the plane. It's much less fun then.

Really? It just lulls me to sleep like a heavy chop at sea does. I'm a major fan of turbulence. I've learnt to scull back the entire (cold) drink in one go rather than have it on my tray when the obligatory turbulence during the meal service happens. Time and again I have laughed at people that have hot drinks and wine spilt all over them across the aisle from me.
Flown to 120 Airports in 44 Countries on 73 Operators. Visited 55 Countries and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

don81603

Tue Jan 03, 2006 6:54 am

Turbulence doesn't bother me in the least. The first time I looked out the window and saw the wings moving nearly scared me stupid. Granted that's not too far, but still.

How far will a large plane (T7, 747, A340, etc) rise or drop during turbulence? Any pilots know?
And for those of us fortunate enough to have traveled Concorde, was she more or less affected by turbulence, due to her flight level?
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

CO7e7

Tue Jan 03, 2006 8:01 am

It doesn't scare me, it makes me sick.. like i wanna throw up!

AsstChiefMark

Tue Jan 03, 2006 8:40 am

I love it, except when I'm trying to eat or drink. I get my jollies out of commenting on how the wing tips move or blurting out things like, "Oh my God!"

I'm also the bastard that applauds and cheers during a bumpy, bouncy landing.  Big grin

Mark
Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

nhgrafx

Tue Jan 03, 2006 9:52 am

This is great!!!!!! I always thought I was crazy for loving heavy turbulence. Now I know I am not the only one. I was on a flight from CLT to BOS last winter (2004) 2 weeks before Christmas in a US Airways 734, we landed at BOS in a blizzard, we were the last flight allowed to land before the airport was shut down, and that was one VERY bumpy approach. We were frequently making what felt like drops of probably 10-15 feet on final approach, the wings were flopping up and down like they were made of paper, there was loud thudding and rattling noises all throughout the cabin, we were lifting up a few inches in our seats with each drop, I loved it, but everyone else in the plane all looked scared out of their minds. But we made a perfect landing followed by cheers and applause. That was a lot more enjoyable than being diverted to MHT or wherever they would have sent us. It was also kind of funny taking off from a sunny and warm 70 degrees in CLT and landing at BOS in a cold 20 degrees with full on blizzard conditions 1.75 hours later.

I am just curious about what any airline pilots here think about landing in conditions like that, because I am sure it is a much more stressful situation for them.
Is it weird I have a RemoveBeforeFlight pitot cover on my car rear view mirror?

deltaguy767

Tue Jan 03, 2006 1:26 pm

Hello All,
I personally love getting kicked around, whether in the airliners or in the C-172 that I rent every weekend. One time I was on a US A-319 from DCA-BOS just after a violent thunderstorm. On the climbout from DCA boy we were getting jostled like no tomorrow. All of the passengers around me were getting nervous or clutching their stomachs.  vomit  However I was enjoying the ride and a passenger questioned me about it:

Passenger: How could you be so calm in this violent turbulence
Me: Well mam I fly small airplanes in New England and the winds up there give us a good kick around
Passenger: Boy are you crazy(Goes back to gripping the armrest causing white-knuckles)

Best Regards From BDL,  wave 
DeltaGuy767

(Happy New Year: and my First Post of 06')
A Good Landing is one you walk away from!

ANCFlyer

Tue Jan 03, 2006 2:04 pm

As long as I don't spill my Scotch I don't care either way . . . .
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

senorcarnival

Tue Jan 03, 2006 2:06 pm

I used to think turbulence was awesome when I was a kid. These days, I got nothing against it, except if I'm trying to sleep on a long-haul/red-eye flight, then I might be a bit cranky by the time I reach my destination and the flight was a mini earthquake simulator.
Oh no, she's getting impatient! Take a stab at it!

deltagator

Tue Jan 03, 2006 2:13 pm

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 16):
As long as I don't spill my Scotch I don't care either way . . . .

Me too. (Except it is usually Jack Daniel's for me.)

I don't mind heavy turbulence at all and actually enjoy it. The only thing I don't like is when the plane drops a fair amount and your stomach bottoms out on you for a second. But violent shaking of the plane and wings flapping like a bird...the more the merrier!
"If you can't delight in the misery of others then you don't deserve to be a college football fan."

BG777300ER

Tue Jan 03, 2006 2:27 pm

I don't know about you guys, but sometimes during a flight, when you're like just about dosing off into a sleep, turbulence feels really good and relaxing and kind of helps you fall asleep. I mean like when you're in that state where you're almost asleep but not fully.
Koi mi sra v gashtite?

HorizonGirl

Tue Jan 03, 2006 2:50 pm

I LOVE turblence!
It's all I want!

checkmark 

Devon
Flying high on the Wings of the Great Northwest!

thepilot

Tue Jan 03, 2006 4:22 pm

I'm somewhat in the middle. If I'm flying a Cessna 172/182 or a Piper Seminole with me PIC, turbulence is not really that great. However, if I'm on a nice heavy jet up at FL350 (not the website  Smile), a little turbulence never hurt nobody.
RIP Independence Air
From YVR

ABfemme

Tue Jan 03, 2006 7:04 pm

Turbulence is fun - doesn't bother me at all - did bother my friend one time when flying to the canaries - plane encountered some rather fierce turbulence, pilot decided to drop the plane (presumably to avoid it) coffee went up in the air, covered everyone, but the funniest thing was mine went up, across and landed in her chicken dinner !! ha !! we managed to laugh about it but her meal was needless to say ruined !!

Claire
Women do not have hot flushes, they have power surges

ZKSUJ

Tue Jan 03, 2006 7:10 pm

Its good fun, pity many PAX don't feel the same way  Wink

AerospaceFan

Tue Jan 03, 2006 7:19 pm

Well, I guess I must be crazy, because I prefer a smooth flight.  

The last flight I took was on an Air Canada A320, I believe, and it was as smooth as silk all the way. Well, most of the way. I like the feeling of being on a stable platform, utterly invulnerable to atmospheric conditions.

I guess I must be nuts.

[Edited 2006-01-03 11:23:09]
What's fair is fair.

TACAA320

Wed Jan 04, 2006 2:36 am

Quoting RootsAir (Thread starter):
what category do you fit

Scared to death. I simply hate turbulence.
'Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind'. Albert Einstein

shamrock350

Wed Jan 04, 2006 4:17 am

I like small amounts of turbulence but I had a flight with EI to Cork from Heathrow and the turbulence was really bad I was very scared! The aircraft was being thrown side to side and the engines made very strange noises.

TK787

Wed Jan 04, 2006 5:17 am

Quoting NHGrafx (Reply 14):
I am just curious about what any airline pilots here think about landing in conditions like that, because I am sure it is a much more stressful situation for them.

I know that turbulence is rated from 0-6, but I never get a chance to ask the pilots: "How would you rate that last one?" . I mean can they still read the displays at level 6 turbulence?

Skydrol

Wed Jan 04, 2006 4:21 pm

Quoting RootsAir (Thread starter):
what category do you fit

I love it... wings bouncing, plane shaking, overhead bins unlatching, cabin ceiling panels creaking (especially L-1011), watching other pax reactions

Then I hate it... cold sweat, mouth watering, feeling dreadful, then I throw up.

So I have a love-hate opinion for a prolonged rough ride. Still always look forward to it until I feel so damn rotten, then I want it to stop right away!  Smile

LD4
∙ ---{--« ∙ ----{--« ∙ --{-« ∙ ---{--« ∙ --{--« ∙ --{-« ∙ ----{--« ∙

CaptainJon

Thu Jan 05, 2006 6:21 am

dont mind it at all, especially in small planes when even small turbulence is a big pot hole like bump. doesn't really scare me, though when it happened to surprise, i let go of the yoke and the CFI wasn't too pleased with that...

LY777

Thu Jan 05, 2006 6:40 am

I hate turbulences!!!it makes me sick!!!
Flown:717,727,732,734,735,738,73W,742/744/748,752,762/2ER/763/3ER,772/77E/773/77W, 788, D8,D10,L1011, A3B2,A320,A321,A332,A343,A388

aerorobnz

Thu Jan 05, 2006 7:04 am

Quoting TK787 (Reply 27):
I know that turbulence is rated from 0-6, but I never get a chance to ask the pilots:

I think pax should be able to rate the turbulence in their IVOD just like the quiz games on SQ/EK - gain points for getting the correct rating.....that would be the best IFE ever...
Flown to 120 Airports in 44 Countries on 73 Operators. Visited 55 Countries and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

AerospaceFan

Thu Jan 05, 2006 7:30 am

Quoting AerorobNZ (Reply 31):
I think pax should be able to rate the turbulence in their IVOD just like the quiz games on SQ/EK - gain points for getting the correct rating.....that would be the best IFE ever...

biggrin  Maybe the one closest to the actual rating as determined by the average pax response at the end of the flight from the entire cabin should win. The prize would be Dramamine.  Wink
What's fair is fair.

skywatch

Thu Jan 05, 2006 1:54 pm

I love turbulence. My personal favorites are the random 100ft+ drops that ocassionally occur!

---Skywatch
------Forever Watchin' The Sky------

macc

Thu Jan 05, 2006 6:23 pm

turbulence is fine of two reasons:
it quiets people down. especially those drunken braggarts who can never shut up.
and it does lull me into sleep. if the flight is smooth at all, you just dont have the feeling at being on an airplane.

it does disturb only during the meals...
I exchanged political frustration with sexual boredom. better spoil a girl than the world

lentigomaligna

Fri Jan 06, 2006 7:33 pm

I usually like it, but my last flight had turbulence immediately after takeoff from SLC which scared the hell out of me and many other passengers on the flight especially with the feeling of sudden drops. In other words, I like a little bit, but not too much.

TimePilot

Fri Jan 06, 2006 8:07 pm

I hate turbulence. A little bit is okay, but for the most part I think it sucks.

2 days ago on a BOS > JFK flight we hit vortex turbulence coming off a 747 in front of us. I've never experienced anything like it, and never want to again. The whole plane (CRJ450) was rocked to the right, then to the left. Scared the *hit out of me  crazy 

AF773

Fri Jan 06, 2006 8:40 pm

I think turbulence is fun. Quite entertaining to watch other pax during a bumpy ride.

Murphy's law though. Why does it almost always get bumpy when coffee is served...lol
Next flights: AF ORY-TLN-ORY; CDG-BOD-CDG; KL CDG-AMS-ADD-AMS-CDG; AF CDG-ATL; DL ATL-MSY-ATL; AF ATL-CDG

cedars747

Tue Jan 10, 2006 8:45 am

Quoting PMN (Reply 3):
Yup I'm in the turbulence fan club

I`d like to be a member of the club....i love turbulence!!!!
Alex!!!
Tengo una pasion por la aviacion !لدي شغف للطيران !I have a passion for aviation !Jeg har en lidenskap for luftfart!j'ai

edelag

Tue Jan 10, 2006 8:57 am

Turbulence all the way. I just love to see the other passengers scared out of their minds.
It's not just the destination, it's the journey.

boeingfanyyz

Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:18 am

Quoting Don81603 (Reply 11):
How far will a large plane (T7, 747, A340, etc) rise or drop during turbulence?

Well, it really does vary. Usually, however, most experts say that the effect is very minimal, usually consisting of a drop in a few feet, even a few inches sometimes.

Quoting Don81603 (Reply 11):
And for those of us fortunate enough to have traveled Concorde, was she more or less affected by turbulence, due to her flight level?

There was absolutely no turbulence aboard the Concorde because you were considerably higher than the turbulence. Well worth the price!

Cheers,
Boeingfanyyz  airplane 
"If it aint boeing, it aint going!", "Friends are like condoms...they protect you when things get hard!"

DLX737200

Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:09 am

I hate turbulence at flight level for a prolonged amount of time. Once on a DL CRJ, we were at FL 310 flying from DCA-MCO around a hurricane off the coast of North Carolina in August of '04. Flying through the clouds in pitch black (at night) , you could see the rain in the strobe light and the stubby, short wings of the CRJ bouncing. Seeing people down the isle holding hands, I got nervous and a little scared. I don't mind turbulence on climbout or decent because I know we're changing altitudes and there is a better chance of the tubulence level changing with changing alititudes. Turbulence on final is actually fun for me because I know we're moments from landing.

In October, I flew MCO-LAX and over the Grand Canyon, we hit turbulence for 15 minutes... felt like forever. Not fond of it. How do you all like turbulence so much? What is the joy in it?

-Justin

FLAIRPORT

Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:48 am

I enjoy it. I think as long as you have your "sea legs" and are smart, you can deal with it. the FAs once stopped meal service due to turbulence (after we got our meals)...I had no problem with handling the meal though. If your smart and hold onto your drink, youre fine.

Now, on approach, i have to hold on a little. You get the illusion that you are lower than you are, so any dip is a little scary. That's just human nature, I believe.
NEXT FLIGHT: FLL-ATL-HPN on FL

aerorobnz

Tue Jan 10, 2006 5:33 pm

Quoting FLAIRPORT (Reply 42):
the FAs once stopped meal service due to turbulence

That has happened on several flights I've been on. Both were prolonged periods of well over an hour - The turbulence over Antarctica was most fun, although over Afghanistan & Iraq was memorable too.

AmericanB763ER

Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:42 am

I hate turbulence! Be it on take off en route or descent/landing that doesn't really matter. It's not that it makes me sick when it occurs, it just makes me nervous - and even scared when the going gets tough.
I know too well there's no such thing as a 100% smooth flight but I REALLY could do without all the shaking.  no 

jetflyer

Wed Jan 11, 2006 8:10 pm

I find it very different in a Cessna 152 compared to airliners, obviously. I encountered bad turbulence as a passenger on a Dash 8-300 from Manchester-Britstol in a squally storm on descent and approach. There was a large crab angle and the pilot also had the left wing pointed toward the ground all the time. Not to mention it was getting chucked left right and centre. The landing was smooth enough and one person clapped (looked like a bit of an idiot).

I get very motion sick in small aircraft during turbulence and I hate having flying lessons as a result so am seeking to find solutions to this problem.

Hirnie

Thu Jan 12, 2006 3:54 am

Hi!

While I´m not scared of turbulences I prefer Smooth rides to read a book or sleep.

My bumpiest experience is about 10 or more years ago when I was on the jump seat on the flight deck of a LH 737-200Adv from Fankfut to Genua. Almost the whole flight was smooth but on final appraoch -we did a circeling approach with a visuall final- it so bumpy that I was not able to read the instruments anymore untill shortly prior to touchdown. Wow, that was a tough ride...ok that was kinda fun,but normaly as a pax I preffer smoother flights.

Regards

Vasu

Thu Jan 12, 2006 3:59 am

Definitely prefer turbulence!

Last year I was on a DL 777 inbound to ATL... somewhere over Delaware we had the worst turbulence I'd ever experienced! And to make matters more interesting, it was just after the food trays had been distributed!

Slovacek747

Fri Jan 13, 2006 4:26 am

The More turbulence the better. Was funny when we hit some last week coming home to IAH from Tokyo and guy next to me looked like he was bout to piss his pants and was clamping on to the seat in front of us.

AirWillie6475

Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:18 pm

To everybody above who said they like turbulence, they probably have never been in REAL tubulence. The kind where your plane could roll to the side and in one second you are near perpendicular to the horizon or having the plane drop 200 feet in 2 seconds. Ok, I'm not talking about big airliners here I am talking about little cessnas but they offer REAL turbulence.