Tom12
Topic Author

Most Succesful Low-cost Carrier

Tue Jan 03, 2006 1:50 pm

I was just wondeing who you guys thought was the most succesful low cost carrier in the US and why?

Thanks Tom

ps Have a great New Year!
"Per noctem volamus" - Royal Air Force Bomber Squadron IX

senorcarnival

RE: Most Succesful Low-cost Carrier

Tue Jan 03, 2006 2:10 pm

Just from the top of my head, I think WN is probably the most succesful LCC in the U.S., although as I understand B6 is catching up. But you also have to consider what is your definition of succesful here: revenue, destinations served, fleet size, employees, etc.
Oh no, she's getting impatient! Take a stab at it!

Dreamflight767

Tue Jan 03, 2006 6:33 pm

Yeah...WN by far.

Their business model is both duplicated and feared around the globe by so many airlines. Because of this, while operationally they might be a domestic airline, I sorta consider them an international carrier at heart. They have introduced so many people to the joys and excitement of air travel.

Pe@rson

Tue Jan 03, 2006 7:47 pm

In the US, it's certainly WN, the 'low-cost daddy.'
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

CO7e7

Tue Jan 03, 2006 9:19 pm

Quoting Senorcarnival (Reply 1):
I understand B6 is catching up. But you also have to consider what is your definition of successful here: revenue, destinations served, fleet size, employees, etc.

I don't see how they're catching up.
According to: http://av-info.faa.gov/detail.asp?DS...R_NAME=JETBLUE+AIRWAYS+CORPORATION
B6 has 85 A320s and 7 ERJ 190
While SW has 445 737s and they have been in business for 27 years compared to 6 years for B6.
As far as destinations, SW serves 61 cities according to their website while B6 serves 35.
It also obvious that SW employs more people than B6 just from the stats above.

Cheers

lordanmol

Tue Jan 03, 2006 11:59 pm

I think it is AK

It is doing great, it already has some Air Asia Thailand and Air Asia Indonesia I think

Regards
Hmmmmm....

Door5Right

Wed Jan 04, 2006 1:26 am

Gentlemen,
There is no competition. It is WN for Southwest. Why? Because this is the model looked at by both Easyjet and Ryanair who, between them, started and have revolutionized air transport as we know it in Europe today.

Three Cheers for Herb is what I say!
My soul is in the sky...

ib16uk

Wed Jan 04, 2006 1:50 am

America: SouthWest Airlines

Europe: easyJet & Ryanair

Australia: Virgin Blue

Fokker70NG

Wed Jan 04, 2006 2:02 am

Of course Ryanair and Easyjet are just WN clones, but there is a difference between Ryanair and Easyjet.
If you ask me what the most successful LCC in Europe is, I would opt for Easyjet from a passenger point of view. They're just as cheap as Ryanair, but they fly to more convenient ('primary') airports, while Ryanair only flies to secondary airports. Moreover, my personal opinion is that everything that has Ryanair on it screams the word 'cheap' while Easyjet doesn't have that very cheap appearance for me. But that's just my personal opinion. I have nothing against Ryanair though, I have flown them several times but I prefer Easyjet.

But of course, successful has everything to do with the business point of view and not with the passenger point of view. If I recall correctly, Ryanair's revenues are slightly higher than Easyjet's. But that's not a real surprise if you look at all the cost-savings Ryanair is applying. And they probably only spend a fraction on airport taxes compared to Easyjet..
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. -Albert Einstein

boeingpride800

Thu Jan 05, 2006 8:37 am

Southwest may beat B6 by fleet number,destinations,etc. But I really do think jetBlue has beat the competition And WN's fares have not been the lowest lately, as also seen in news reports a few months ago.

Just look at B6, it took them, I don't know, maybe 2 years to become well known, successfull and a very good customer service airline? When this probably took many many years for some of America's legacy carriers to achieve.

Surely you people will stick to whatever airline you prefer, but you really can't beat 24 channels of DirecTV/XM Sat., all leather seats,brand-new planes, great customer service,AND low fares.