pilotdude09

Los Angeles And San Diego Aviation Attractions

Tue Jan 03, 2006 5:03 pm

Howdy,
Im hoping this topic will be okay in here, if not feel free to move it  Smile

Im heading over to the usa in october/november this year. First of all i was wondering what aviation attractions there are in LA and San Diego?
What museums are good (if any)?
Also i would love to go to a simulator and im hoping there would be a public civi airliner simulator or maybe someone here could hook me up?  Wink Wink

I have googled but i havent come up with anything usefull

Im hoping some of you guys can help me out as i have a couple days that i would like to dedicate to my hobby.
Qantas, Still calling Australia Home.........

HT

RE: Los Angeles And San Diego Aviation Attractions

Tue Jan 03, 2006 5:28 pm

Quoting Pilotdude09 (Thread starter):

I can recommend the following:
www.marchfield.org : They have a massive collection of jets placed outside (also some props)
Planes of Fame, Chino (a few miles south of ONT): They have a good restoration shop
A bit off course, but: http://www.palmspringsairmuseum.com/ Worth only if you are around; a lot of voluteers will be happy to tell you stories.

-HT
Carpe diem ! Life is too short to waste your time ! Keep in mind, that today is the first day of the rest of your life !

pilotdude09

Thu Jan 05, 2006 12:24 am

Quoting HT (Reply 1):
Quoting Pilotdude09 (Thread starter):

I can recommend the following:
www.marchfield.org : They have a massive collection of jets placed outside (also some props)
Planes of Fame, Chino (a few miles south of ONT): They have a good restoration shop
A bit off course, but: http://www.palmspringsairmuseum.com/ Worth only if you are around; a lot of voluteers will be happy to tell you stories.

Thanks for that they look good, hoping there would be some more suggestions  Smile
cheers

B742

Thu Jan 05, 2006 1:36 am

I reccomend going to the Mojave desert, although it could be a bit far from LAX and SAN  Smile (not sure on exact timings, but someone will know  Wink)

http://www.cruisinaltitude.com/airports/mhvcaus.htm

Other attractions other than the ones above could be LAX and SAN airport, SAN and LAX is excellent for photography  Smile

BTW - If you wan't to go further then there is the Pima air and Space museum with tours of Davis Monthan Air Force Bace in Tucson, which is brilliant  Smile Aircraft include B-52's to 707's at the museum  Smile
http://www.pimaair.org/
http://www.dm.af.mil/

Rob!  wave 

deltagator

Thu Jan 05, 2006 1:40 am

Don't forget the In-N-Out Burger by LAX for some good food and spotting.
"If you can't delight in the misery of others then you don't deserve to be a college football fan."

PanAm747

Thu Jan 05, 2006 12:07 pm

http://www.aerospacemuseum.org/

There is a link to the Balboa Park Aviation Museum. The museum is located directly (and purposely) underneath the landing path for runway 27.

I also recommend just strolling around the entire park, as there are incredible spotting opportunities, both day and night.

Also, leaving downtown north on I-5, take the Pacific Highway exit (it only goes north), and then take the LEFT exit for Lytton Street. Follow that out to where the road curves to the right. Park on the side of the street next to the old golf course, and watch as planes take-off virtually just above you.
Pan Am:The World's Most Experienced Airline - P(oor) S(ailor's) A(irline): San Diego's Hometown Airline-Catch Our Smile!

pilotdude09

Thu Jan 05, 2006 12:22 pm

Thanks guys, The IN n Out is high on the priority list Smile

Quoting B742 (Reply 3):
I reccomend going to the Mojave desert, although it could be a bit far from LAX and SAN (not sure on exact timings, but someone will know )

Would love to head out there, may be going to Las Vegas yet, so maybe Smile

Thanks again

deltagator

Fri Jan 06, 2006 1:14 am

Quoting Pilotdude09 (Reply 6):
Would love to head out there, may be going to Las Vegas yet, so maybe

Victorville is on the way to Vegas.

I would suggest NAS North Island and MCAS Miramar but I doubt they will let you on the base without some sort of business to be there.
"If you can't delight in the misery of others then you don't deserve to be a college football fan."

HT

Fri Jan 06, 2006 4:20 am

Quoting DeltaGator (Reply 7):
Victorville is on the way to Vegas.

For anybody who doesn´t know the exact location: Don´t make the same mistake that I did on my first attempt and search for this airport in the town of Victorville itself (Yes, they have an airport over there, but that one is not the "boneyard" most people want to see) !

Use directions to "Southern California Logistics Airport" instead (signposted from I-15); VCV (the former George AFB) is located next to the village of "Adelanto" behind a minor ridge to the west of I-15.
Coming from I-15, drive past the airport and turn right at a set of traffic lights (that´s 1 set of Traffic lights BEFORE US-395); drive along the fence (it´s on your right) until houses give way to a small sandy hill on your left (can´t be missed). With binoculars the view from there is quite good.
(use "19000 Adelanto Road, Adelanto, CA 92301" as an estimated address)

Another location is as follows:
Continue past the hill I mentioned for another half a mile (sandy road), turn right onto a dirt road which makes a bend to the left; there´s a open space (with some trash) on your right which is located right on the airport´s fence: The massive 15000ft-runway 17/35 is very close in front of you & it probably also the closest spot to the "remote" parking lot at VCV.
-HT
Carpe diem ! Life is too short to waste your time ! Keep in mind, that today is the first day of the rest of your life !