skywatch

Musicians: Do Your Instruments Ever Fly?

Sun Jan 08, 2006 10:46 pm

I was just wondering how many a.net musicians travel with their instruments, or have ever done so. My violin (and viloin before it) has been a carryon on every single commercial flight I have been on. Both included, my violins have gone on DL, AA, CO, and Atlantic Airlines (Honduras).

---Skywatch
------Forever Watchin' The Sky------

deltagator

RE: Musicians: Do Your Instruments Ever Fly?

Mon Jan 09, 2006 4:23 am

Well a viiolin is a little bit easier to fit on a plane versus a bass or tuba. A friend of mine has a band here in Atlanta but had to take his guitar to Chicago to play at a friend of ours' wedding. He had to check it though.
"If you can't delight in the misery of others then you don't deserve to be a college football fan."

BizFlyer

Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:29 am

I had taken my flute along on European flights. No problems so far. But, of course this is much more compact than your violin.

Regards,

BizFlyer

P.S.: Mostly I am not afraid of the airlines, but of my fellow residents in the hotels where I stay, when I begin to practise (sounds awfull some of the time...)
Stay belted as long as you can!

SmithAir747

Tue Jan 10, 2006 5:29 am

I am a pianist, but of course, I couldn't carry mine along! I do take my piano music along (my residence hall in London does have pianos in it).

I'm also a guitarist, but I leave my guitar at home (it's just too big to carry with my 5 other bags when I travel back and forth to London for school every year).

I do carry my green violin every time I travel between the US and the UK. It's small, lightweight, and compact, so it always goes with me as a carryon (along with my CPAP machine, my camera, my carryon bag, etc). I often get positive comments and questions from fellow passengers, TSA agents, etc. whenever I carry my violin on a trip--they ask about my music, etc. One TSA agent in FWA even asked if I was going to give a concert right there in the terminal!

SmithAir747
I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made... (Psalm 139:14)

Amy

Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:38 am

I went on an Orchestra tour at School. Most of a symphny Orchestra in various places of an Austrian A320 to Vienna.
A340-300 - slow, but awesome!

boeingfanyyz

Tue Jan 10, 2006 7:04 am

"Do your instruments every fly?"

Nah, I haven't trained mine to do that yet!

Cheers,
Boeingfanyyz  airplane 
"If it aint boeing, it aint going!", "Friends are like condoms...they protect you when things get hard!"

seanp11

Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:36 pm

When my high school orchestra went on tour in scotland last march, I had the pleasure of having my Double bass shoved into the cargo bay of a BA 772. It was in a flight case, but when I took it out in scotland there were new cracks in it. Never again. If I ever fly with my bass again, I will pay for a second seat so that I can keep it safe in the cabin.

That's better than when my brother went to italy a while back, with his youth orchestra. Somebody came back and their cello was smashed up, even though it was in a flight case.

BizFlyer

Wed Jan 11, 2006 3:10 am

Hello Seamp11,

I have no difficulties at all believing what your write, having seen with my own eyes and complained to the responsible offices about how baggage and airfreight is treated.
Professionally I have to do with the trade of smaller and bigger machine-parts, sometimes more lightweight, sometimes more on the heavy side.
We invest a lot of time and money into packing our stuff in such a way that it can stand up against the cruel treatment it receives at the airports all over the world!!!

It definitely is a question of attitude on the side of the baggage- and cargo-handlers all over!

Best regards,

BizFlyer
Stay belted as long as you can!

xjramper

Wed Jan 11, 2006 5:41 am

It may be difficult to remove my vocal cords and have my voice sing properly. So, yes, my instrument has been with me everytime I fly.

XJR
Look ma' no hands!

ZKSUJ

Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:36 am

Travelled with drums once. No prizes for those who figured it had to be checked in!!!  Smile

FLAIRPORT

Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:12 am

Quoting SmithAir747 (Reply 3):
I am a pianist, but of course, I couldn't carry mine along!

Quoting Xjramper (Reply 8):
It may be difficult to remove my vocal cords and have my voice sing properly. So, yes, my instrument has been with me everytime I fly.

DAMN! YOU BEAT ME TO IT!
NEXT FLIGHT: FLL-ATL-HPN on FL

jetflyer

Wed Jan 11, 2006 8:11 pm

You can't take a grand piano on most planes. So no the instrument doesn't fly but then it's not really mine either.

alphafloor

Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:19 am

The majority of travels which I made on tour was made in a tour bus. I would have prefered to take the plane as the trip on bus are often long and exhausting but our manager not  Wink. I travelled only a few times by plane to go to play in another country. However when this opportunity arose I always took my bass guitar with me. The bond between musician/instrument is always special, I can't let my bass in a reharsal local, I take it always with me even if I'm not going to play with it at my house.

Regards,
Alphafloor
Whatever

ftrguy

Fri Jan 13, 2006 8:12 am

I always carry my Bagpipes with me when I travel. Such a delicate instrument should never be put downstairs unless it is in the proper container. Even then, I would still be cautious about doing so.

YYZUla

Fri Jan 13, 2006 12:17 pm

I have flown with both my flute and oboe in the past to Europe and back. I have never had problems with it. Just had to make sure I had a slip from Canadian customs saying that I left Canada with it.

gunsontheroof

Fri Jan 13, 2006 2:14 pm

Couldn't risk loosing my bass...it'd only fly if I could carry it on.

moparman

Sun Jan 15, 2006 3:25 am

I'm not a musician (play a little guitar), but I am a huge music fan. In terms of professional musicians I have seen guitarists: Pat Thrall, who I was sitting next to in LH business class. He is a really nice guy, and a little excentric as he purchased a seat from FRA to IAD for his guitar. Then I sat behind perhaps the greatest guitarist, Ritchie Blackmore, on a LH A300-600 from London to Frankfurt in 1st class. He was a little irrateable during the flight, and he too had a seat for his guitar.
"Harming a patient is unethical, but I can inflict as much pain as I like" Dr. Phlox

PMN

Sun Jan 15, 2006 9:07 am

I've flown with my bass when I've been doing gigs in Eurpoe. I think the baggage handlers must've thought my little baby needed a breathing hole, because after one flight there was a nice huge chunk missing from one side of the flight case. Needless to say I was NOT happy!

Paul
Edith in his bed, a plane in the rain is humming, the wires in the walls are humming some song - some mysterious song