Aloha717200
Topic Author

UA Transpac Service Vs. Qantas

Mon Jan 09, 2006 11:36 pm

Hi,

I'm about to book travel to Australia for this spring...and I've got it down to 5 possible routings that I can afford and that work with my schedule.

Only one of those routing is on QF, the others are on UA. The QF routing is $100 more, however.

So I was wondering, based on your experience, is QF's inflight experience worth an additional 100 dollars versus just flying UA?

I looked at some cabin shots and it looks like QF's 744s have PTVs, but I don't see any on the UA plane. Having a PTV i think would make a difference on such a long flight. But United has Channel 9....but I'm not sure how busy that channel would be over the Pacific...and there's no guarantee that the captain would even have the channel turned on.

So what do you think? The QF routing would take me LAX-MEL-ADL-SYD-LAX. UA routings would take me LAX or SFO-SYD-ADL-SYD-SFO or LAX.

[Edited 2006-01-09 15:40:02]

UAL777UK

RE: UA Transpac Service Vs. Qantas

Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:13 am

Looks like your planning on flying this route in economy, so to start with you have economy plus on UA which on a long stretch is fabulous, of course not all seats are E + so you would need to ensure your ticket can get you into this section which if your getting the cheaper option that might not be possible. Alternatively you can phone after you have made your reservation and see if you can get into E+ or as is very common these days, see on the day if you can pay an additonal sum to upgrade and sit there.

As to PTV, UA does not have these on the 747's, so you will have one screen in the whole back cabin to try and watch!

CH 9 may go on at the Captains discretion but theres not much happening whilst on route on that sector across the Pacific, except of course on take off and landing.

Having flown QF from SYD to HKG I vowed I would never fly them again, they were truly awful but I am also acutely aware that every once in a while your going to have a bad flight whoever you fly with.

If you can get E+ at a very competitive cost, you'll be at the front(ish) of the cabin so I would go UA, but others will say QF for PTV etc and I cannot argue with that.

This year UA will start upgrading their international fleets and so there should be PTV's added into Economy but thats a while off.

By the way UA does not fly to ADL, they do a hop to MEL, so i guess thats a codeshare with Virgin Blue.

Have a good one.

Aloha717200
Topic Author

Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:17 am

Yes, I should clarify that, QF and UA are my only options for the trans-pacific segment of the flight. Domestically I have options on impulse, QF and Virgin Blue, codesharing with UA.

fxramper

Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:25 am

Have taken both across the Pacific to SYD via LAX. Would have to say for cattle class that QF is gonna take the cake. UA E+ will cost you more and might not be in your budget. The 2 trips I've taken on UA to SYD, at the airport, it was next to impossiblel to pay the upgrade charge, cause Mileage Plus members had priority, and they were basically book in advance. QF is nice, IFE, and food is good. I would suggest you take the QF flight, only if you can't upgrade to UA E+ for $100, which isn't gonna happen.  Smile

tozairport

Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:16 am

One thing about Channel 9 over the Pacific - There really are no traditional ATC facilities on that route. I think they talk to some controllers near Tahiti and Fiji, but it's been a long time since I flew that route, so I don't remmber for sure. The Captain will normally have channel 9 on for the takeoff and landing, but otherwise there is nothing to listen to, so he will turn it off.
Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

Lufthansa

Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:36 am

Yep

chanel 9 will be dead outside Sydney airspace until you're around a few pacific island, and that is hours and hours apart. You literally won't here much at all until you start getting closer to California.

Okay, for me, this is a no brainer. Qantas.
Hoever i think you have one more option you may have forgotten to consider. That is, Air New Zealand. They're very good, and on some fares, but not all, you'll earn milageplus.

Other than that, its Qantas. You may be lucky enough to get a 744 with AVOD, put all have PTVs, you get ammenties kits, a better stocked bar, thinks like gourmat ice creams midflight, champange in economy, real wine glasses in economy rather than plastic cups, and it goes on.
there is a very good reason why Qantas wins 80% of the business on this route. UAL tends to win based on offering either better prices, or being able to offer Australian originating passengers far more US domestic destinations and connections for the one fare. Qantas wins on service and offering connections inside Australia. Besides, wouldn't you rather be able to say that you've done the flying Kangaroo, with its stylish ways just once?

Seriously, i think you'll be sorry if you don't.

777STL

Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:38 am

QF has better Y service other than IFE, as well. It is worth the money, I had to make this same decision last August.

I don't know what FF programs you're in, but QF miles qualify as AA/Oneworld miles as well.
PHX based

Lufthansa

Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:51 am

Oh, another point.,

I see from you're profile that you're under 21. Well, Welcome aboard QF, and we Australians will very happily, and legally, serve you a drink! It's a very long flight, why not celebrate? You're going to Australia after all. It's a very special place. And it is part of the local tradition and customs.... come fly with us, enjoy a drop of from our vinyards, enjoy the power of RR engines... or a drop of Victoria Bitter (the real australian national beer...not fosters), of course, our very attractive girls and guys will be happy to look after you.

You are, as they say, On Q.

IceTitan447

Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:05 am

Quoting Aloha717200 (Thread starter):
versus just flying UA?

Just Flying UAL? Ual is a pretty good company, from this forum you would never know, they are a good company to fly with.

Quoting Lufthansa (Reply 7):
and we Australians will very happily, and legally, serve you a drink!

And I would be willing to bet a UAL F/a will also serve you a drink legally. Smile That was funny!

our very attractive girls and guys will be happy to look after you.

Are you serious?

777STL

Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:16 am

Quoting IceTitan447 (Reply 8):
And I would be willing to bet a UAL F/a will also serve you a drink legally. Smile That was funny!

UA serves alcohol for free in economy? I think that's what he was getting at.
PHX based

Trvlr

Tue Jan 10, 2006 4:20 am

If you can somehow get Economy+ while still not breaking the budget, I'd take United. The seat pitch on Qantas' 744s is horrendous. I would have certainly traded QF's PTVs for a few extra inches of legroom during my flight to Australia with them.

Aaron G.

Sydscott

Tue Jan 10, 2006 5:47 am

And I would be willing to bet a UAL F/a will also serve you a drink legally. That was funny!

Quoting 777STL (Reply 9):

I think what Lufthansa was getting at was that United can only serve alcohol to persons 21 and over. Whereas Qantas can serve alcohol to persons 18 and over.

Aloha717200
Topic Author

Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:50 am

Just Flying UAL? Ual is a pretty good company, from this forum you would never know, they are a good company to fly with.

Yes, I've flown with UA before on domestic routes and found them quite pleasant. But I'd be lying if I said I didn't want to try something new. I do prefer Qantas at this point, because I'd like to try an international airline for the first time. But, what I was wondering is if it would be worth the additional 100 dollars I would pay for the priviledge of flying QF.

Quoting Trvlr (Reply 10):
The seat pitch on Qantas' 744s is horrendous.

Well, I'm not entirely sure if I could aford E+, so how does QF's Y-class pitch compare to UA's standard Y-class pitch? Are they about the same? Pitch shouldn't be too much of a problem for me....I'm 5' 10" so I don't have the longest legs in the world, which tends to work in my favour on long flights, but I've never had a flight of this duration, either.

I've never been out of the country before actually...this is my first time... innocent 

About alcohol...I turn 21 in three weeks...and this trip takes place in 3 months. Big grin But I don't drink. I might consider a sip for celebration's sake, but only a sip.... Smile

Aloha717200
Topic Author

Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:53 am

our very attractive girls and guys will be happy to look after you.

Indeed, one of your very attractive girls is already taking care of me.  Wink

My girlfriend lives in Adelaide. This trip is me coming to visit her. We're moving things to the next level, you might say.  bigthumbsup 

IceTitan447

Tue Jan 10, 2006 7:30 am

Quoting Sydscott (Reply 11):
And I would be willing to bet a UAL F/a will also serve you a drink legally. That was funny!

Quoting 777STL (Reply 9):

I think what Lufthansa was getting at was that United can only serve alcohol to persons 21 and over. Whereas Qantas can serve alcohol to persons 18 and over.

Ahh the light bulb just went off over my head. Now there's someone home. Thanks Smile

Quoting Aloha717200 (Reply 12):
Yes, I've flown with UA before on domestic routes and found them quite pleasant. But I'd be lying if I said I didn't want to try something new. I do prefer Qantas at this point, because I'd like to try an international airline for the first time. But, what I was wondering is if it would be worth the additional 100 dollars I would pay for the privilege of flying QF

I know how you feel. I personally enjoy UAL, they are for the most part my airline of choice. I did try LH a few months back, they were wonderful, so I know what you mean, Branch out and try something new.However the E-plus is nice Smile

I've never been out of the country before actually...this Is my first time...

Have a blast! Whoever you take, enjoy it!

Simpilicity

Tue Jan 10, 2006 7:44 am

Quoting Aloha717200 (Reply 2):
Yes, I should clarify that, QF and UA are my only options for the trans-pacific segment of the flight.

despite saying this, think u should look at FJ, LAX/NAN. You can continue onto SYD on same aircraft, I believe, but Fiji is such a great place, with such great people & such a relaxed lifestyle, that you should find a day or 3 & stay there either on you way over or you way back or BOTH !!! Helps break up long flights to, being roughly 3-3.5 hours less in each direction. FJ use SQ aircraft on NAN/LAX (former AN 744's I believe). They virtually have daily flights NAN/BNE-SYD-MEL codeshared with QF. (QF own a sizeable chunk of FJ, but FJ flight attendants are so much better - Australians not very good at being subservient)

Sheraton has a complex on Denarua (spelling) Island, (not really an island, but separated from mainland by small river) a short distance from NAN airport. Complex is 3 resorts in 1, 2 hotels separated by new condos, all linked by Bula bus, although not far to walk & u can charge all restaurants etc. back to your room.

Great golf course, fantastic all around. (hey I should be a salesperson for them !!!)

When there last 2 years ago, Hilton & another hotel were about to start construction on the island. Perhaps they are finished now?

Aloha717200
Topic Author

Tue Jan 10, 2006 7:45 am

I've found I can save $35 on the QF fare if I book it from LAX on their website, and then book a separate roundtrip SLC-LAX-SLC on DL to get me to LAX for that flight.

I wouldn't be able to interline my baggage, but I don't think I could have anyway because of customs...

That's a question for you guys....do I go through customs at LAX before departure, or in SYD on arrival, or...both? What's the procedure? How do I deal with my luggage when it comes to customs?

This is my first international flight so I'm not sure.

Simpilicity

Tue Jan 10, 2006 7:53 am

Quoting Aloha717200 (Reply 16):
I've found I can save $35 on the QF fare if I book it from LAX on their website, and then book a separate roundtrip SLC-LAX-SLC on DL to get me to LAX for that flight.

Have you checked out the cost of FJ LAX/NAN/SYD?

You can tag your bags all the way thru, as long as not using a LCC to LAX. That may chnage when JQ (QF long haul LCC) starts in DEC or next JAN.

Aloha717200
Topic Author

Tue Jan 10, 2006 8:08 am

Quoting Simpilicity (Reply 17):
Have you checked out the cost of FJ LAX/NAN/SYD?

Yes, and it's very decent, but because of the scheduling I wouldn't be able to get to Adelaide until 5pm on the 13th of april....and my girlfriend really wants me to be there in the morning so that we can have more time together. So unfortunately FJ is out of consideration for now.

Simpilicity

Tue Jan 10, 2006 8:18 am

Quoting Aloha717200 (Reply 18):
Yes, and it's very decent, but because of the scheduling I wouldn't be able to get to Adelaide until 5pm on the 13th of april....and my girlfriend really wants me to be there in the morning so that we can have more time together. So unfortunately FJ is out of consideration for now.

Come on Aloha717200 - get a life !!! All work & no play makes for a dull Aloha717200.

With a name like Aloha717200 r u based in Hawaii normally? or go there often?

Fiji is I imagine what Hawaii was like 40 years ago & no highrises at least over about 4 or 5 floors.

Have a few more days in OZ or meet your girlfriend in Fiji - the Sheraton would surely go down well !!!

Not expensive to get to Fiji, now that DJ fly there as well as QF/FJ.

Lufthansa

Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:12 am

About alcohol...I turn 21 in three weeks...and this trip takes place in 3 months. But I don't drink. I might consider a sip for celebration's sake, but only a sip....

And you're getting involved with an Australian? Oh well, that will change...quickly.  Wink Australia is the worlds second largest producer of wine after france, and the most technologically advanced wine producing nation in the world... we're a little proud of our achievments in this area.

From Salt Lake city... well until recently I had a house up deer valley, (love the skiing), so I connected to 'the deltaflot' plenty of times to come to and from Australia. If you take united Get on the SFO departure, its far easier than LAX. Definately check your bags thru.... but watch out for customs lines when you come back to the states. Give yourself plenty of time going from LAX-SLC for the connection, seriously maybe even something like 3 or 4 hrs. You only need some storms across the pacific in the southern summer to delay your flight, and then long customs lines at LAX to screw your connection up totally. Do not take Southwest for these connections unless you fly much much earlier, and you don't mind hauling your luggage around that dump known as LAX (please please please build new terminals!)

You know you can also fly Air NZ to ADL directly from Auckland. (so LAX-AKL-ADL, in fact you can even do it to PER too!) I think QF is probably best for you here but as a second choice I definately wouldn't rule out NZ.

Aloha717200
Topic Author

Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:47 pm

Quoting Simpilicity (Reply 19):
Come on Aloha717200 - get a life !!! All work & no play makes for a dull Aloha717200.

You don't know the full story. She has classes that she has to get back to on May 2, her classes go on break on April 14...that's the only window of time that I have to be with her. I CANT stay longer, as much as I deeply wish that I could.

I'd rather have 6 additional hours with her than stop in Fiji. Sorry if this means I have no life, but, as much as I'd love to go to fiji for abit, her feelings are a bit more important to me.

As for Air New Zealand, I checked their site, and they had no available flights to adelaide for my travel dates.  Sad

777STL

Tue Jan 10, 2006 3:10 pm

That's a question for you guys....do I go through customs at LAX before departure, or in SYD on arrival, or...both? What's the procedure? How do I deal with my luggage when it comes to customs?

No customs in LAX, you check your baggage for a QF flight just as you would for a regular domestic flight. You get into SYD, you go through immigration, then you get your baggage from the carousel, and finally you go through customs. After that, you're free.

Customs really isn't a problem as long as you don't have anything restricted. Certain prescription meds, plants, muddy shoes, stuff of that nature. The worst that can happen is they run your bag through an x-ray machine, no biggie.
PHX based

rktsci

Tue Jan 10, 2006 3:12 pm

QANTAS. Hands down. No competition. I've done the Pacific crossing (direct and via Asia) about 40 times on a range of airlines (QF, NZ, AA, UA, CX, JA, NW, CP, FJ), and I would rate UA at the bottom. Best flight was a QF 747SP LAX-SYD in '86 that was also taken by Crocodile Dundee (seriously!).

Lufthansa

Tue Jan 10, 2006 3:38 pm

This is my first international flight so I'm not sure.

Okay there are two parts to this answer. American airports mix international and domestic departures, so what 777STL said applies to American Departures.

HOWEVER, Australian Airports, Like European airports, seperate them. This means that you enter a secure area for international fights, and thus pass a 'departure' control as well as an 'arrivals' control. the advantage here is one connecting in between nations, i do not need to clear customs. (eg... Im travelling from Singapore to Sweden via Germany. I don't need to clear customs at say, FRA.. i can just change planes. Something not possible in the USA.)

Be very careful in regards to shoes with mud, fresh food and flowers and any 'plant material'. All your baggage will x-rayed. Australia is very strict in regard to plant material. The other thing they're looking for is drugs... we've got a little bit of a party problem here, particularly in Melbourne. If bring any medications make sure the label is on the bottle with your name and Dr on it. If it was purchased over the counter, it should be as Australia permits a greater range for over the counter use.

QF108

Tue Jan 10, 2006 3:44 pm

I have flown QF and UA and I found both were very good, last flight was on UA in November 05 all in flight service was fantastic, very friendly crew but IFE was limited with no PTV's as stated above, Channel 9 was one of the main reasons we flew UA last time but there is little or no coverage got none on the way over the weather was dreadful from Sydney for most of the way across the Pacific. Inbound from SFO it was on but didn't last long. QF is your go if you want IFE they also give out a small travel pack when you board and the Magnum Icecreams were a great snack after dinner. Domestically QF probably beats DJ mainly because you don't have to buy food and the like. Again never had any complaints about the service on either. At the end of the day it depends on your needs, if you were just flying UA because of Channel 9 you probably won't hear much if any. 99.9% of the time Im sure you will be happy with the service of either airline its rare that I have any complaints.
Sorry I didn't narrow it down too much.
I enjoyed my flights on both.
Blessed are the Cheesemakers !

Aloha717200
Topic Author

Tue Jan 10, 2006 4:04 pm

You guys have sold me. I'll be flying QFBig grin

Quoting Lufthansa (Reply 24):
This means that you enter a secure area for international fights, and thus pass a 'departure' control as well as an 'arrivals' control.

So, basically, when I arrive in Australia i need to switch to the domestic terminal for the flight to adelaide, and likewise, on the return, switch from the domestic terminal to international for the flight back to America.

And I clear customs on departure as well?

This is important to know so that i can schedule my connection times accordingly.

Also, I was considering WN for the SLC-LAX-SLC part of this itinerary, but it is the same price as DL.

If I book two separate tickets...one with QF, the other with DL....I can still have my baggage interlined from DL to QF? I thought that you only got baggage interlined if all flights were booked on one ticket, including codeshares and connections.

As it is right now I'm expecting to have to retrieve my luggage at LAX, then re-check it for QF.

QF108

Tue Jan 10, 2006 4:34 pm

Yes, when arriving at SYD you need to transfer to T3 there is a bus between the two terminals, and then back to T1 when you arrive back in SYD from ADL. Im not 100% sure but relatively confident that you will need to reclaim from either DL and WN and remember that QF's SYD flights leave LAX at T4, every time I have been in a shuttle the QF passenger get dropped off at TBIT. Your bags on your return trip if you are flying QF should be able to be checked from ADL-LAX but just confirm with the check-in agent. If plane types are weighing on a decision SYD-ADL both QF and DJ use 737's on this route. As far as transfer times go I have never had a real long Customs wait at SYD but it depends on number of arrivals at that time, 2 hours should be heaps but play it safe and don't leave it much less in case you are late leaving LAX or 3 747's arrive at close time in SYD.
Adelaide is great,its just like a big country town to a Sydneysider like me, my girlfriend is from there also, make sure you head down to Glenelg its pretty trendy with lots of Restaurants and a great beach, just watch for the drivers they are pretty bad. (Sorry croweaters!).
Hope that is some help.
Regards
Mark

Just checked the QF schedule they have flights from both SYD-ADL and ADL-SYD at about every 2 hours so you won't have a problem finding a flight.

[Edited 2006-01-10 08:41:00]
Blessed are the Cheesemakers !

Aloha717200
Topic Author

Tue Jan 10, 2006 5:20 pm

Quoting QF108 (Reply 27):
Glenelg

Yep she's taking me there and Henley beach too.  Smile We'll be walking along Torrens and the Rundle Mall is also on our list of things to see.

IceTitan447

Tue Jan 10, 2006 7:31 pm

Make sure if you buy two separate tickets to bring along your flight schedule for QF. The DL agent in SLC can check your bags with QF so you don't have to reclaim them in LAX. Let them know you are transferring to another carrier in LAX.

Quoting Rktsci (Reply 23):
I've done the Pacific crossing (direct and via Asia) about 40 times on a range of airlines

Quoting Rktsci (Reply 23):
AA, UA, CX, JA, NW, CP, FJ), and I would rate UA at the bottom.

UA at the bottom of NW and their DC-10's And AA's service? Naw, you haven't flown UA enough. Smile

Quoting Aloha717200 (Reply 26):
You guys have sold me. I'll be flying QF.

You sold yourself, you just needed a little push Smile

sparkingwave

Tue Jan 10, 2006 8:25 pm

Aloha, there's also one thing you should consider - the frequent flyer mileage programs of both UA and QF and their respective alliances.

UA has some pretty good award deals in their mileage plus programs. I suspect however, that QF's program will probably be more expensive.

One advantage that UA has over QF is that you could start to earn miles for a free flight from Los Angeles to any city in United's system, which includes many more destinations in the continental U.S.

So if you're thinking about flying to Australia, you should also think about your next flight afterwards.

SparkingWave
Flights to the moon and all major space stations. At Pan Am, the sky is no longer the limit!

Simpilicity

Tue Jan 10, 2006 9:23 pm

Ua's ff programme MUCh more generous than QF's as well, although now with QF's ff tickets everything is one way, so might be able to earn one way ticket faster & this can be on AA in USA.

777STL

Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:50 pm

Quoting Simpilicity (Reply 31):
Ua's ff programme MUCh more generous than QF's as well, although now with QF's ff tickets everything is one way, so might be able to earn one way ticket faster & this can be on AA in USA.

Yeah, but you can't beat AA's FF program, stateside. He doesn't have to join QF's FF program, that wouldn't make a whole lot of sense since he won't be flying QF on a regular basis(I assume). Join AA's program, get the necessary fare class, and you'll get 100% mileage compensation. Or you could just fly the AA codeshare for the same flight.

My flight to Australia last year was THE reason I acheived status on AA.
PHX based

snnus

Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:00 am

Flew QF and UA LAX-SYD, just ask agent if you are flying economy to put you in the E+ cabin, they did for me with no charge.
QF aint great but i think they have ptv's now, so i would go with Air new zealand!

1rocco

Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:17 am

I just arrived last night from SYD flying QF. I can't say that the service is the absolute best but it was very good. There is just something about walking on the airplane and hearing G'day.... It makes you feel like you are already there. We have been lucky enough the last few times in economy to get exit rows. Just arrive very early for the flight. It can get very cold sitting there so dress appropriately. The PTV's are a lifesaver on a 13.5 hr flight and that is enough for me on that long of a flight. I get a good does of Kath and Kim before I get there. So I would have to go with QF.

Rocco

Aloha717200
Topic Author

Wed Jan 11, 2006 5:11 am

Quoting SNNUS (Reply 33):
Air new zealand!

No flights available.

Quoting 777STL (Reply 32):
Yeah, but you can't beat AA's FF program, stateside. He doesn't have to join QF's FF program, that wouldn't make a whole lot of sense since he won't be flying QF on a regular basis(I assume). Join AA's program, get the necessary fare class, and you'll get 100% mileage compensation. Or you could just fly the AA codeshare for the same flight.

Well, I've enrolled in both AA's and QF's FF programs. I do intend to be repeating my visits to Australia...since my girlfriend lives there I might go visiting at least once or twice a year. I'll do far more stateside travelling, but, my flights to australia will overwhelmingly be the most expensive flying that I do.

I checked the AA codeshares, and once taxes are included the fare is higher than if I just booked directly with Qantas and added the second flight from SLC-LAX and back.

That comes out to about $1,776 for the whole thing...versus $1,810 on AA. Not much of a difference, only 34 dollars, but that 34 dollars would pay for an entire day's worth of food and transportation for me in australia.

Can miles I earn with QF be transferred to my AAdvantage membership later on if I need them?

IceTitan447

Wed Jan 11, 2006 5:43 am

Quoting SNNUS (Reply 33):
QF aint great but i think they have ptv's now, so i would go with Air new zealand!

That was funny!

Simpilicity

Wed Jan 11, 2006 7:52 am

Quoting Aloha717200 (Reply 35):
Can miles I earn with QF be transferred to my AAdvantage membership later on if I need them?

Doubt it, they are completely separate & different programmes.

Still think you're better off using QF's, as my sister was a member of AA's & she gave us some miles which were harder to use, ie., think AA's had different mile redemption levels. Anyway best bet is to call QF & ask them some question about redeeming over a route u might actually want to fly - ie. number of flights required to get enough points/miles etc.

Be aware that many airlines are trying to wind their programmes back, without annoying to many customers. Credit cards won't earn you same points/miles in future. Airlines have decided that the real frequent flyer, ie. business type who flies every week or so, is the one they should be pursuing not the leaiure traveller, so don't wait too long to try & redeem points/miles. Also be aware that in Australian holidays periods, almost impossible to get ANY f.f. seats to OZ on QF, especially in DEC-JAN, unless u book them 11 months ahead & even then still difficult.

Had someone the other day who was checking everyday for DEC06, as they were loaded & couldn't book their return flight(s) until they were loaded month later. This is why easier with one way rewards with QF.

Also with QF (u need to check with AA) same number of points required for LAX/OZ as DEN/OZ 48 000 points, but you must do over the phone at present (unless LAX/OZ) & route must be not a milkrun.

Ask & ask again both airlines if you don't 1st get the answer u want. I think from USA both have 1800 numbers?

jetdeltamsy

Wed Jan 11, 2006 8:22 am

Keep in mind that Qantas limits your carry-on items to a gross weight of something like 11 pounds. Not kilos, pounds.

If your carry-ons exceed the 11 pounds, they are taken from you and checked as luggage. And if that puts your over our free piece allowance, you are charged excess baggage fees.

It's all on their website.
Tired of airline bankruptcies....EA/PA/TW and finally DL.

777STL

Wed Jan 11, 2006 8:33 am

Quoting Aloha717200 (Reply 35):
That comes out to about $1,776 for the whole thing...versus $1,810 on AA. Not much of a difference, only 34 dollars, but that 34 dollars would pay for an entire day's worth of food and transportation for me in australia.

Well, if the 34 dollars is the difference between getting a 1/4 of the real mileage vs. 100% of the real mileage, then that 34 dollars may be well spent.

(If you're in AA's program, certain class fares on QF earn certain percentages of the real actual mileage flown, some are 100%, some are none.)

And no, I don't think you can transfer mileage from one program to the next, but you can take advantage of Oneworld and book interlining award tickets on different airlines. Since you're doing much more stateside travelling, I'd get an AA membership and have your miles counted towards that. Therefore you can use all the miles you accrued stateside on AA, to purchase an award ticket when you want to go to OZ.

There's several different ways you can play it, but whatever you do, it's to your advantage to bank all your mileage in one account. Don't spread it out amongst QF's program and AA's program.
PHX based

Lufthansa

Wed Jan 11, 2006 8:47 am

Quoting Jetdeltamsy (Reply 38):
Keep in mind that Qantas limits your carry-on items to a gross weight of something like 11 pounds. Not kilos, pounds.

God you're flying to Australia for christ sake... not some shuttle flight for an overnight stay 1000 miles down the road. Its a very very long way...everybody checks most of their luggage on these flights. Qantas usually allows a brief case... then a jacket, + some carry on duty free shopping... its usually more than enough. They only enforce it strictly on Dash 8 and BAe 146 aircraft, because Australians are well trained to check everything in before their flight, making the experience a lot more human. The bulk majority of passengers on the flight will be Australian residents. You're carry on is not going to be of any significant concern. You should see the shopping I do at Singapore Changi at the last minute and drag it all on board.

ATLDLL1011250

Wed Jan 11, 2006 9:03 am

It sounds to me like this trip will be quite an experience for you. Considering that this will be your first time outside of the US, you should enjoy a "different" flying experience than what you are used to. I suggest the following considering your criteria:

Fly QF, you owe it to yourself to enjoy a non-US carrier.

Whatever you do, do not fly WN...your transfer at LAX will be a nightmare.

DL should be able to tag your bags through LAX to QF. This is a good option.

For a "seamless" (as much as reasonably can be expected) flight, I would probably book the AA codeshare. Since you are new to international travel, it might make it easier.

A good option might be a travel agent...they can give you a nice comprehensive itinerary which you can present to any ticketing agent to expedite the arrival of your baggage at your destination with as little hassle to you as possible. In sum, I believe this should be your goal...minimize hassle.

Oh, yea…If you intend multiple visits to Australia, the QF miles will add up!

Good luck and enjoy your trip!

[Edited 2006-01-11 01:06:51]

Simpilicity

Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:11 am

Quoting ATLDLL1011250 (Reply 41):
For a "seamless" (as much as reasonably can be expected) flight, I would probably book the AA codeshare.

shouldn't make any difference if book AA or QF for seamlessness.

Travel agents often have cheaper fares/deals than airlines offer.

Sometimes, you can get inclusions like accom/car hire etc. included cheaper than straight airfares purchased thru airlines (the agent might get a whoelsale fare, which is cheaper, but has to be packaged with something)

rktsci

Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:23 am

Quoting IceTitan447 (Reply 29):
UA at the bottom of NW and their DC-10's And AA's service? Naw, you haven't flown UA enough.

I took AA's DC-10 service SYD-HNL-DFW once in the early 90s before they pulled out in 92. It really was great.

I took NW's 744 server SYD-OSA-JFK a few times in the mid-90s. It was actually pretty good *at that time*. My UA crossings were between 98 and 04 - maybe 5 or 6 total, and they just weren't that good.

jetdeltamsy

Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:30 am

Quoting Lufthansa (Reply 40):
God you're flying to Australia for christ sake... not some shuttle flight for an overnight stay 1000 miles down the road.

i COMPLETELY AGREE. i deal with absurdly overweight carry-on's every single day and it makes me sick. people bring 30, 40 or 50 pounds in carry-on bags and expect them to remain safely in an overhead bin. it's absolutely ridicilous.

i wish all carriers had QANTAS' strict weight policy. it serves everyone.
Tired of airline bankruptcies....EA/PA/TW and finally DL.

flydreamliner

Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:01 pm

Air Canada, who i've found to have an excellent flight experience, offers service to sydney via hnl. i've given some thought if i go to Aus this summer, to taking them. just an idea. I flew Air Canada to rome and couldn't have been happier.
"Let the world change you, and you can change the world"

Simpilicity

Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:39 pm

Quoting FlyDreamliner (Reply 45):
Air Canada, who i've found to have an excellent flight experience, offers service to sydney via hnl. i've given some thought if i go to Aus this summer, to taking them. just an idea. I flew Air Canada to rome and couldn't have been happier.

Yes but you have to get to YVR unless joining flight at HNL either at 2345 or 0140 !!! (nice times)

777STL

Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:50 pm

Quoting FlyDreamliner (Reply 45):

But that doesn't make a whole lot of sense for the OP, since it's probably more expensive and based on what others have said, sounds like a pain in the ass to connect in HNL.
PHX based

777fan

Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:00 pm

Quoting 777STL (Reply 47):
sounds like a pain in the ass to connect in HNL.

I live in HNL and can attest that the connection, albeit quick, wouldn't be too much fun. HNL has to be one of the most archaic and user-unfriendly airports in the US. There are few amenities to speak of; I doubt that any of them will be open at that hour.

I've noticed that AC has used an A340 on the HNL-SYD route on occasion. Anyone know anything about this? I'm also considering a trip to SYD this coming fall (see my other threads!).
DC-8 61/63/71 DC-9-30/50 MD-80/82/83 DC-10-10/30 MD-11 717 721/2 732/3/4/5/G/8/9 741/2/4 752 762/3 777 A306/319/20/33 AT

Simpilicity

Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:25 pm

Quoting 777fan (Reply 48):
I've noticed that AC has used an A340 on the HNL-SYD route on occasion. Anyone know anything about this? I'm also considering a trip to SYD this coming fall (see my other threads!).

They used the A340 nonstop SYD/YVR about a year ago. It was incredibly popular, as avoided U.S. immigration nonsense in HNL & saved about 3 hours.

Couldn't do YVR/SYD nonstop as it was an old A340-300, so had to stop HNL.

It was pulled (AC have had a lot of problems in last 12 months, when it looked like they were going under) & must have been put on another route.

Now AC flys 2 old 763ER's about 90 minutes apart - crazy !!! One of those should have gone to BNE or MEL or split them 3/week to one & 4/week to other.

No Australian wants to have to change terminals at SYD. It's absolutely horrible & incredibly time consuming.

TO give you an idea, instead of flying the old 2T route BNE/HNL/YVR, you have to fly QF BNE/SYD (in the wrong direction for over an hour), then minimum connecting time at SYD is about 75 minutes, but that's cutting it tight & then fly an hour extra SYD/HNL compared to BNE/HNL = total additional time required about 4-5 hours. Coming back into SYD is even worse, as finding domestic check in counters at SYD INT is a nightmare !!!