mats

CO Or DL To South America--Help Me Decide

Fri Jan 13, 2006 8:34 am

I'm planning to go to visit my family in South America in April. I can't decide which airline to fly. Here are the facts:

1. The routing will be CMH-GIG then EZE-CMH.

2. I will fly in business class.

3. Both Continental and Delta offer a discounted business class fare of about $2100. Fares are much, much higher on Aerolíneas Argentina, American, LAN Argentina, United, or Varig. So those are NOT valid options.

4. I do not have elite status anymore. I used to have it on both Delta and Continental but I don't travel as much anymore. I have a substantial number of miles on Continental, none left on Delta.

Here is my logic:

CONTINENTAL
Pros:
1. Nicer seats: one less seat per row on the 767.
2. Better meals: Continental usually has slightly better meals than Delta. Just a slight edge.

Cons:
1. I've had some bad experiences with really crabby crews in BusinessFirst. In fact, they were downright hostile. Who wants to put up with that?
2. The outbound would require a stop in São Paulo.

DELTA
Pros:
1. By far the nicest cabin crews. I've had many good experiences in BusinessElite.
2. Decent seats and food. Not mind-blowing, but certainly comfortable.
3. Nonstop service from Atlanta to Rio de Janeiro.

Cons:
1. Last trip on Delta was a disappointment. I flew CVG-HNL and vice versa in first. The crews were reasonably nice but the food was shockingly poor and poorly presented too. Everything had gone downhill. I thought I might never want to fly Delta again. But I'm told that the cutbacks don't apply to Business Elite, just domestic first.
2. They're bankrupt.

COfaninBOS

RE: CO Or DL To South America--Help Me Decide

Fri Jan 13, 2006 8:47 am

In my biased opinion, CO.

I have flown IAH to GIG twice in bizelite and thoroughly enjoyed the service. One seat less per row makes a HUGE difference and if you are flying alone, the option of taking the single middle seat is sweet. I have never had a problem with FAs on any CO flight, especially international.

If you are using a local carrier to get around while in South America, I'd suggest TAM. Great airline. Incredible service. Puts U.S. carriers to shame.

ComatMan

Fri Jan 13, 2006 9:07 am

My extremely biased view would have you fly Continental. Although I have absolutely nothing against Delta and they have helped me out many times. I have never seen a bad cabin crew on any Continental flight ever and I would consider your experience as an exception to the rule plus they are not bankrupt.

CO7e7

Fri Jan 13, 2006 9:11 am

Quoting COfaninBOS (Reply 1):
In my biased opinion, CO.

Same advice here!

LipeGIG

Fri Jan 13, 2006 9:12 am

I have flew GIG-ATL-GIG with DL on october and it was a very good flight. Crew was nice, food was perfect, and the best... it's non stop and allows you to save hours. If your destination is Rio, DL would be my personal choice.

Quoting COfaninBOS (Reply 1):
If you are using a local carrier to get around while in South America, I'd suggest TAM. Great airline. Incredible service. Puts U.S. carriers to shame.

I`m a Tam FF customer and you can see my last trip report on Tam's C product MIA-SSA-GRU.
JJ Business: MIA-SSA-GRU W/many Pics (by LipeGIG Dec 13 2005 in Trip Reports)

If your destination is other than Rio, your choice would be Tam

Regards,
Felipe
New York + Rio de Janeiro = One of the best combinations !

AAgent

Fri Jan 13, 2006 9:15 am

Here's an opinion from someone who does not work for Continental or Delta. My experiences with both carriers have been positive, but if we have to split hairs to pick a winner, I'd go with Continental. But honestly, I think you'd be happy with either carrier.

Best Regards,
AAgent
War Eagle!

ikramerica

Fri Jan 13, 2006 9:22 am

I don't work for either, but I'd do CO, especially since you will be alone and can take that middle seat. I would take that over the 6 across BE seat. Food is good on both. Staff is generally good on both, but you could always get a bad crew.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

rwsea

Fri Jan 13, 2006 9:23 am

I think DL would be good for you - as you say they have great cabin crews, plus you'll save quite a bit of time by only stopping once each way. Also, ATL would be a bit more of a direct routing than IAH.

Given your pros and cons seem to pretty much equalize the two, I'd go for the more convenient routing with fewer stops, which is DL via ATL.

Alitalia744

Fri Jan 13, 2006 9:28 am

I'd go with Delta because:

Quoting Mats (Thread starter):
Cons:
1. Last trip on Delta was a disappointment. I flew CVG-HNL and vice versa in first. The crews were reasonably nice but the food was shockingly poor and poorly presented too. Everything had gone downhill. I thought I might never want to fly Delta again. But I'm told that the cutbacks don't apply to Business Elite, just domestic first.

You experienced domestic first. Business Elite is very different so what you peak of does not apply to Bus Elite.

2. They're bankrupt.

Has no effect on service or safety to date from what I've seen. In fact, I've seen the same reliable, friendly Delta Air Lines service become even more forefront since...

Long live the Widget!
Some see lines, others see between the lines.

AA737-823

Fri Jan 13, 2006 10:20 am

While I wouldn't avoid an airline specifically because they are bankrupt, I would STILL go with Continental.
That's just because I've had some good experiences with them.

In all honesty, bad crews can be found on all airlines, including CO or DL.

But CO has the advantage- nicer plane. AND, if you stick with Continental, you can get your Continental miles. Granted, you can earn CO miles by flying DL now, but the online booking bonus (500 miles) is only offered by Continental's website, not Delta's.

Yeah, I would take Conti.
And I don't work for them, either.

OttoPylit

Fri Jan 13, 2006 10:51 am

Quoting AA737-823 (Reply 9):
But CO has the advantage- nicer plane. AND, if you stick with Continental, you can get your Continental miles. Granted, you can earn CO miles by flying DL now, but the online booking bonus (500 miles) is only offered by Continental's website, not Delta's.

Actually, if you book via Delta's website and then actually travel the flight, you get a 1,000 mile FF bonus.

It seems most of the pro-CO arguments are just because it has the single middle seat. But what if you book the flight, but then can't get that single seat, then whats the advantage? There isn't one. Given the flight is only 3 months away, I would assume most of those beloved middle seats are gone.

Personally, my biased opinion tells you to go with Delta, but thats just because I have never had a bad J class flight internationally. Back in March, I caught a respiratory infection on a flight over to Germany. On the way back, my throat was dry, cracked and killing me and the only thing that was soothing it was Coke syrup. During the 10 hr FRA-CVG flight, I drank a dozen Cokes, and after the first 4, I told the F/A as to why I was repeatedly asking for refills and apoligized for the constant attention needed. She assured me that she would make periodic walk throughs and every time I appeared to be low on my Coke, she would bring me a refill. And she did, although by the time the 6th or 7th one came around, she started bringing me cough drops as well to help. They did help, although I was the a-hole using the lav every 30 minutes on the flight because of the Coke. About an hour out of CVG, she came around the final time and I offered up my glass, she calmly joked, "You've had enough and I'm cutting you off." LOL

OttoPylit
I don't have a microwave, but I do have a clock that occasionally cooks shit.

WesternA318

Fri Jan 13, 2006 11:02 am

In my EXTREMELY biased opinion (hehe, Platinum Elite on CO) I'd say go for CO. I took DL in First from JFK to ATH and found the service crappy and made me wished I'd taken CO to FCO then Aegean to ATH as I do with my non-business flights. CO has newer a/c (although that doesnt matter sometimes) and in my opinion, better crew.

Just my two cents.
Check out my blog at fl310travel.blogspot.com!

codc10

Fri Jan 13, 2006 11:04 am

The quality of the BusinessFirst product is a cut above BusinessElite, and 2-1-2 configuration not only affords the fantastic 'D' seats, but also noticeably more width at 21" compared to Delta's 18.5". Meals, service, entertainment, amenities, and nearly all the other measurables have, in my experience, been better with Continental on a fairly regular basis.

However, if you do not want the stop in GRU, the nonstop ATL-GIG is an excellent option. Don't get me wrong, BE is an extremely good product, something I have absolutely no hesitation to book when my preferred options are unavailable.

If quality/bang-for-your-buck is the issue here, fly with Continental.
If time/convenience is your biggest concern, fly with Delta.

This certainly falls under the "win-win" category with me.

ContinentalEWR

Fri Jan 13, 2006 12:01 pm

Oh my gosh, the choice is easy. Fly Continental. Better planes (newer) with more amenities, better food, crew can be crabby in BusinessFirst. I experienced this on a 777 to LGW last year, but overall, the product is a lot better.

Gatorman96

Fri Jan 13, 2006 12:28 pm

2. They're bankrupt.

This is why you should fly DL! They need business  Smile With the pros and cons pretty equal, I would prefer a non-stop flight. Don't base your decision off crabby F/A's. That's hit or miss, regardless of the airline.

luisca

Fri Jan 13, 2006 12:41 pm

CO is the only decent product left in US airlines. All of the other ones have gone down the drain. Fly CO, maybe that will teach the other airlines what people appreciate.
If it ain't Boeing (or Embraer ;-)) I ain't Going!

AR1300

Fri Jan 13, 2006 12:53 pm

Delta all the way  Smile

Mike
You are now free to move about the cabin

DL787932ER

Fri Jan 13, 2006 12:55 pm

Since all you're getting is openly biased replies anyway  biggrin  I'll throw in my vote for DL. Never done CO BizFirst, but probably a half-dozen round trips to Europe in DL BizElite on the 763ER, none of which was anything short of fantastic. You certainly won't be disappointed, and since it seems like DL saves you from making a stop, why not give them a try? Of the complaints posted about BizElite here, they are either incorrect or non-issues. No need for flames (not that I won't get  flamed  anyway  duck  ) - I'm sure CO has a fine product as well, but to say that one would be "disappointed" in BizE as compared to BizF is just incorrect as any difference would have to be extremely marginal.
F L Y D E L T A J E T S

Lt-AWACS

Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:00 pm

My vote would be CO, if we are counting ballots  Wink

I have flown both, though must admit I fly much CO more.

Ciao, and Hook 'em Horns,
Capt-AWACS, Watching you from 30,000 feet
Io voglio fica ogni giorni da mia bella moglie!

aloha73g

Fri Jan 13, 2006 2:58 pm

I judge an airline by its Flight Attendants. In my opinion Delta and Continentals are just a cut above the rest of the USA's majors. Personally I prefer Delta's. The friendliness shines over Continental's professionalism. On that account I would choose DELTA....a real smile goes a long way.

-Aloha!
Aloha Airlines - The Spirit Moves Us. Gone but NEVER Forgotten. Aloha, A Hui Hou!

ikramerica

Fri Jan 13, 2006 3:15 pm

Quoting Gatorman96 (Reply 14):
This is why you should fly DL! They need business

See, that doesn't always make sense. Why prop up an airline that is failing at the expense of helping another one that is not failing? Since both are good products, why not help ensure CO stays that way?

There's two edges to that sword.

Quoting Aloha73G (Reply 19):
The friendliness shines over Continental's professionalism. On that account I would choose DELTA

Well, I've found CO F/As plenty friendly. Maybe they don't fawn all over you, but I don't need that.

I would choose professionalism there, because at the end of the day, they are professionals. For example, I've experienced both Crown Room and Presidents Club, both have similar amenities, but I prefer PC due to the attitude of the staff. The CR staff is friendly, but they also tend to be loud and chatty with each other to the point of disturbing the club. Found that especially in ATL. PC staff doesn't behave that way, and the bar tenders and checkin staff are still plenty friendly and helpful. Even in gruff EWR!

Just my view.

Also, as to having good or bad crews, I can even say they have good and bad days.

I flew CO65 two times in two weeks in F (transcon, which is the best F service they provide). 1/2 the crew was the same on both flights. One was pre-christmas, one was post-christmas. Those same staff members were a little more tired and a little less friendly the second time around. Just the way it goes sometimes.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

Slovacek747

Fri Jan 13, 2006 3:29 pm

I would make my decision based on what movies where being shown!!

semsem

Fri Jan 13, 2006 4:14 pm

I hear CO has the best Business Class.

MATURRO727

Fri Jan 13, 2006 5:16 pm

Hey Mats.

Definitely CO although I have nothing against DL but my experiences have been better on CO, specially flying several times the BOG-EWR-BOG and BOG-IHA-BOG.

DL is good but not compared to CO.

Just my 5 Cents.

Cheers.

MATURRO727

TACAA320

Sat Jan 14, 2006 3:24 pm

My advice: try to be loyal to your FF program. Period.
'Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind'. Albert Einstein

LawnDart

Sun Jan 15, 2006 8:35 am

Quoting Ikramerica (Reply 20):
See, that doesn't always make sense. Why prop up an airline that is failing at the expense of helping another one that is not failing? Since both are good products, why not help ensure CO stays that way?

And how close was CO to total liquidation not too long ago? Yes, they've done wonderful things since, but they were able to pull it off because people kept flying with them during the dark days.

If you're flying out of CMH, the more direct (and one-stop) routing makes more sense - and with the suggestions here being almost equal for either airline, that should be the deciding factor...and DL it is.

Also, DL has more service to CMH than CO...if you stay in CMH and build up your miles, chances are you'll find DL more convenient to use in the future.

TACAA320

Mon Jan 16, 2006 1:32 am

Quoting ContinentalEWR (Reply 13):
better food,

Better 'food" CO? Uhmmmm Please read >>>>>> The Vegas Trip-going There + Lots Of Pics (by Checo77 Jan 11 2006 in Trip Reports)
'Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind'. Albert Einstein

TACAA320

Mon Jan 16, 2006 1:35 am

Quoting LipeGIG (Reply 4):

If your destination is other than Rio, your choice would be Tam

Better than ANY U.S carrier.

ANCFlyer

Mon Jan 16, 2006 8:29 am

Very simple, no comparison, no question, no other choice:

FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

TACAA320

Mon Jan 16, 2006 11:06 am

CONTINENTAL

1. I've had some bad experiences with really crabby crews in BusinessFirst. In fact, they were downright hostile. Who wants to put up with that?

Use JJ and you will not have that experience.

DL4EVR

Mon Jan 16, 2006 12:05 pm

Delta, definitely. First of all non-stops are always better. Second...despite the extreme service cutbacks in Delta's domestic F, BusinessElite still remains one of the best intercontinental business class products in the sky. Oh yeah...and I'm a DL shareholder  Smile
We Love To Fly And It Shows.

TACAA320

Tue Jan 17, 2006 7:38 am

Quoting DL4EVR (Reply 30):
Delta, definitely. First of all non-stops are always better.

And a friendly one...  Wink

GSPITNL

Mon Jan 23, 2006 4:16 am

By All Means, Delta!
Fly Delta - The Only Way To Fly! Silver Medallion Baby :)

TACAA320

Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:44 am

Quoting Luisca (Reply 15):
CO is the only decent product left in US airlines.

It's "decent" compared with e.g. AA. But DL, Song, JetBlue and some few others are still "decent". BTW, I consider CO just good but not "extraordinaire". Even Skytrax state so [ http://www.airlinequality.com/StarRanking/3star.htm ]. CO as well as DL is a three star airline which means: "The 3 Star ranking signifies a "satisfactory" standard of core Product across most travel categories - but reflects poor or less consistent standards of Staff Service / Product quality in selected Onboard or Airport features for the airline listed. " Source: Skytrax webpage.

[Edited 2006-01-22 21:50:39]

Cory6188

Wed Jan 25, 2006 12:48 pm

Quoting TACAA320 (Reply 33):
CO as well as DL is a three star airline

I wouldn't go by Skytrax as a true indicator of airline quality - they lump nearly 80% of the world's airlines into that category - it's hardly representative of the differences of each carrier.

TACAA320

Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:08 pm

Quoting Cory6188 (Reply 34):
I wouldn't go by Skytrax

Is up to you, and you have the right to do so. As I have the right to use Skytrax as an indicator to this specific case.

Cory6188

Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:40 am

Quoting TACAA320 (Reply 35):
Is up to you, and you have the right to do so. As I have the right to use Skytrax as an indicator to this specific case.

I'm not attempting to attack what you said; I'm just saying to take the information you find on SkyTrax with a grain of salt.

Checo77

Wed Feb 01, 2006 2:56 pm

My vote goes for Delta!!!! All the way. I flew with them from Lat Am to Vegas, read in the Trip Report section. DL was soooo much better, and that was economy.
Let us know your decion and happy flying.
Adam
Czech Boeing lover living in Lima

PSA727

Sat Feb 11, 2006 3:23 pm

Not to sound too cynical, but I think you should fly the airline which is not
in Ch 11 and whose pilots are threatening to go on strike. But I also prefer
CO over DL in general anyway.
fly high, pay low...Germanwings!

TACAA320

Sat Feb 11, 2006 11:29 pm

Quoting PSA727 (Reply 38):
but I think you should fly the airline which is not
in Ch 11 and whose pilots are threatening to go on strike.

Do you know how many times CO was in capt. 11?

PSA727

Sun Feb 12, 2006 1:37 pm

Answer to TACAA320 (reply 39)...
Twice!
And I've flown with Continental for the last 19-20 years. In fact, I stopped
flying them in the early 90s for a few years because they had gotten so bad.
But the CO brand today to that of 10 years ago is only similar in name. Even
though I'm not fond of 737NGs, especially on transcon runs, their 767s are
probably the best I've ever flown on. The 762s, for example, only seat about
174 or 176 passengers in 2 classes...most airlines try to cram about 200 into
theirs. And since the 767 is what both CO and DL fly on the route, my own
personal experience leads me to suggest CO over DL.
fly high, pay low...Germanwings!

TACAA320

Mon Feb 13, 2006 12:25 am

Quoting PSA727 (Reply 40):
my own
personal experience leads me to suggest CO over DL.

My personal experience is exactly the same reason what I'm recommending him to fly DL instead CO. What a coincidence.

767-332ER

Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:26 am

Go Delta!!!! Biz Elite is wonderful...flown on that product on both the 763ER and 777 and just absolutely loved it, plus what a treat it is to get the friendly DL staff to help you and serve you on your long-haul. I can tell you that Delta and ATL would love to have you here to get you on your way to South America. They will tell you "Muito obrigado & Muchas gracias" for flying Delta!!
Twinjets...if one fails, work the other one twice as hard!!!