Bicoastal
Topic Author

Would You Fly Alitalia To The Olympics?

Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:40 am

Given that the irrational Alitalia unions are intent on committing professional suicide, would you risk traveling to Italy on Alitalia for the Winter Olympics? For many athletes, family members and spectators, this is a once in a lifetime event. Is it worth the risk of missing out because of yet another Alitalia union strike??
Airliners.net has many forums. It has spell check and search functions. Use them before posting!

ptrjong

RE: Would You Fly Alitalia To The Olympics?

Tue Jan 24, 2006 2:19 am

Yes, I love to get stuck at an airport due to a strike!  silly 

(What answers do you expect?)  Yeah sure
The only difference between me and a madman is that I am not mad (Salvador Dali)

deltagator

Tue Jan 24, 2006 4:08 am

Quoting Bicoastal (Thread starter):
For many athletes, family members and spectators, this is a once in a lifetime event.

I'm sure the delegations from the various countries have this problem under consideration and most likely aren't using Alitalia to get there anyways. As for the spectators...that's the risk you tae with air travel. If you are coming from overseas or even in Europe you shouldn't be flying in the day of the event you want to see. If so, and you miss your event, that's your fault for poor planning.
"If you can't delight in the misery of others then you don't deserve to be a college football fan."

GSPITNL

Tue Jan 24, 2006 4:13 am

Umm...I don't think that most any American would. Not when you can fly SkyTeam there anyway via DL, NW/KL, AF. Plus you are going to have AA and UA as well.

Simple answer....NO
Fly Delta - The Only Way To Fly! Silver Medallion Baby :)

denplanenut

Tue Jan 24, 2006 8:50 am

I booked a flight to Rome in the last few days and decided to fly Virgin Atlantic, New York- London instead and then another connecting flight to Rome... didn't want to mess with Alitalia.

afconcorde1

Tue Jan 24, 2006 9:04 am

Would prefer AF to NCE (as opposed to CDG) and then transfer there for TRN or a destination close to there.

Jeremy
Je pense, donc je vole Concorde!

IDISA

Wed Jan 25, 2006 3:05 am

I really regret to say that I'd rather like not to fly Alitalia and you can't imagine how low do I feel as I write down these words...
Winter Olympics in Turin are a great chance for my country and could have been a great chance for AZ too. Unfortunately there is a great risk that Alitalia won't take this chance and let other airliners take all.
SkyTeam (DL, AF) may offer an alternative to AZ.

Regards
IDISA

Ansett767

Thu Jan 26, 2006 9:08 pm

Well I have no choice.

I booked my flight to Turin frmo LHR a few months ago on Alitalia.

Now with all the strikes I am getting worried.

I was going to go direct with BA but they suddenly TRIPLED their fares overnight. So I had to go with AZ.

Wish me luck!!!

desiguy2447

Fri Jan 27, 2006 9:47 am

I would not fly Alitalia any where mainly because one never knows when the airline will go on strike.

DesertAir

Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:28 pm

I lived in Rome for a year in the 90's. The Italians like to call wild cat strikes. Public transit was their favorite. Often, there would be a one hour late afternoon strike. This also happened at the airport by various union groups. I would hesitate to book them for this reason. A wild cat strike by one union group could throw the entire airline schedule into a tail spin.