808TWA
Topic Author

Re-name Your Local Airport To?

Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:55 am

There is talk in Scotland of proposing that the BAA change the name of Glasgow Airport to something more Internationally recognised, such as William Wallace International.

Edinburgh Airport was suggested as being re-named Harry Potter International and apparently a while back, London Heathrow could have been a candidate for Margaret Thatcher International.

Personally, I think the airports should remain named as they were originally known, Glasgow being Abottsinch and Edinburgh as Turnhouse and London as Heathrow.

If you had a choice of changing your local airport to another name, what would it be, or would you also prefer that the airport name remain unchanged?

-Alan

re: http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/hi/news/5047909.html
Love is in the air, so practice safe flying

dalb777

RE: Re-name Your Local Airport To?

Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:59 am

I think renaming airports will only confuse people, especially an airport as well known a Heathrow.
Geaux Tigers! Geaux Hornets! Geaux Saints! WHO DAT!!!

N1120A

Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:00 pm

Quoting 808TWA (Thread starter):
Edinburgh Airport was suggested as being re-named Harry Potter International

That would make it a laughing stock

apparently a while back, London Heathrow could have been a candidate for Margaret Thatcher International.

vomit  vomit 

I personally think that BUR should have been named George Burns Airport, as he pre-deceased Bob Hope and flew out of the airport at least as much. They could have even called it Burns-Allen Airport.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

D L X

Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:09 pm

Personally, I think the airports should remain named as they were originally known

If you had a choice of changing your local airport to another name, what would it be, or would you also prefer that the airport name remain unchanged?

Emphasizing 'un' in "unchanged," I would immediately remove "Reagan" from the titles of National Airport.

808TWA
Topic Author

Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:11 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 2):
That would make it a laughing stock

I agree completely, out of all the names which could represent the Capital City of Scotland, Harry Potter just doesn't cut it.

-Alan
Love is in the air, so practice safe flying

planespotting

Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:13 pm

My home airport (Muscatine Municipal Airport - MUT) could probably be named after the Carver family, who were a very notable family in Muscatine.

If you're from Iowa/Illinois, or a fan of Big 10 basketball, you have heard of Roy J. Carver. The University of Iowa mens and womens basketball team plays all of their home games at Carver-Hawkeye Arena. The University of Iowa medical school is named "The University of Iowa Roy J. and Lucille Carver College of Medicine". This guy obviously had a lot of money, and he was from my hometown. He founded Carver Pump in the 1940's and they have many multi million dollar contracts with the US government for pumps on all sorts of things.

Incidentally, in 1970, when Muscatine was building a new high school, he offered to pay for the whole thing, on the condition that it were to be named Carver High. For some stupid reason, they declined, so he paid for some of it and all of the pool (Roy J Carver Swim Center). I would have gone to Carver High, haha. I'm sure it would have been state of the art for the time.

He is long dead, but his family still runs Carver Aero (a local...kind of crappy FBO). He was a very active pilot as well as businessmen, and would actually fly his plant workers to Hawkeye Basketball Games in Iowa City from Muscatine from time to time. He was very good friends with my grandfather, and the running joke them was that Roy would always try to get my grandpa to fly with him, but grandpa did not enjoy flying at all (the last airline he flew on was Brannif...right before they got jets!) and he would always decline the offer.
Do you like movies about gladiators?

CRGsFuture

Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:25 pm

ISP, affectionately known as MacArthur? Does anyone have the story on this, why not name it after a Long Islander at least like Roosevelt? Or even P.T. Barnum who lived in my hometown? I mean MacArthur? Was he even from the north?
Flying you to your destination; your girlfriend to her dreams.

adriaticus

Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:29 pm

I've always despised the fact my hometown's MEX is named "Licenciado Benito Juárez"... A controversial president of the 19th century.

I'd rather keep it at "Mexico City International".

If a person's name must be used, I'd use Nobel laureate Octavio Paz' instead. If a politician's name must be used, I'd rather name it "Francisco I. Madero" - the first-ever Head of State in the world to fly in an airplane - back in 1911...

__Ad.
A300/18/19/20/21 B721/2 B732/3/G/8 B741/2/4 B752 B762/3/4 B772/3 DC8/9/10 MD11 TU134/154 IL62/86 An24 SA340/2000 E45/90

CO7e7

Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:31 pm

change the name of Glasgow Airport to something more Internationally recognised, such as William Wallace International.

That's a really cool name.. i like it.

PurdueAv2003

Tue Jan 17, 2006 1:31 pm

There have been some rumors floating around here in Pittsburgh that the Allegheny County Airport Authority is thinking of selling out, like 90% of ball fields in the country, and selling the naming rights for PIT. Knowing our luck, I'll probably end up flying out of Tampax International!  banghead 
Ptu = Ftu X Anet (not to be confused with a.net)

DCrawley

Tue Jan 17, 2006 1:46 pm

Local airport is currently SEA or Seatac Internation Airport.. Seatac, what a creative name!.. the place between Seattle and Tacoma. Anyways, if I had the choice to rename it..

Jokingly: Seacrap International Airport

Seriously: Raincity Internation Airport (I think we have had rain for 27 consecutive days now? Who knows, I lost count..)

Anyways, I'd love to hear some ideas!

-d
"Weather at our destination is 50 degrees with some broken clouds, but they'll try to have them fixed before we arrive."

D L X

Tue Jan 17, 2006 2:14 pm

Quoting DCrawley (Reply 10):
Anyways, I'd love to hear some ideas!

Gates International (Since ther's already a Boeing Field).

dalb777

Tue Jan 17, 2006 2:17 pm

New Orleans International Airport (MSY) changed to Louis Armstrong New Orleans International Airport in August, 2001. It is also known here by its origional name, Moisant Field.
Geaux Tigers! Geaux Hornets! Geaux Saints! WHO DAT!!!

Cruiser

Tue Jan 17, 2006 2:29 pm

YUL was recently renamed to Trudeau International Airport as opposed to Dorval. I certainly prefer the new one.

James
Leahy on Per Seat Costs: "Have you seen the B-2 fly-by at almost US$1bn a copy? It has only 2 seats!"

goinv

Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:33 pm

Whilst not my local...

I think Prestwick International (about 3 miles for Ayr) on the west coast of Scotland should simply be named..

Ayrport

goinv
Be who you are, The world was made to measure for your smile. So Smile.

Blackhawk144

Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:40 pm

Current: Boise Air Terminal/Gowen Field

My name: Boise - Anthony Harding International Airport  Wink

seriously, I hate the Boise "Air Terminal" name...it sounds like a bad attempt at trying to be unique. All I hope is that once we get customs we will be renamed Boise International Airport.

Anthony
Time is the best of all teachers. Unfortunately, it kills all of its students!

gunsontheroof

Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:52 pm

Quoting D L X (Reply 3):
Emphasizing 'un' in "unchanged," I would immediately remove "Reagan" from the titles of National Airport.

Beat me to it.  Smile

Local airport is currently SEA or Seatac Internation Airport.. Seatac, what a creative name!.. the place between Seattle and Tacoma. Anyways, if I had the choice to rename it..

SEA was actually renamed Henry M. Jackson Int'l during the mid-1980s (after the late Sen. "Scoop" Jackson"), but Tacoma cried foul because when the airport was built in the 1940s, Tacoma put up something in the neighborhood of $100,000 in funding on the condition that "Tacoma" would always be included in the airport's name. "Henry M. Jackson Int'l" was reverted to "Seattle-Tacoma Int'l" only a few weeks after the change. Senator Jackson had to settle for a submarine instead.

N1120A

Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:53 pm

Actually, SeaTac is the short name. The official name is Seattle/Tacoma International Airport

Quoting Dalb777 (Reply 12):
It is also known here by its origional name, Moisant Field.

I don't know anyone who calls it that

Quoting Blackhawk144 (Reply 15):
seriously, I hate the Boise "Air Terminal" name...it sounds like a bad attempt at trying to be unique.

Actually, it used to be quite popular. In fact, Fresno still has to live down having Air Terminal in its name, since the IATA code is FAT
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

centrair

Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:58 pm

I always loved that Minneapolis International Airport is Lindbergh Terminal (the main one) and Hubert Humphrey Terminal (the small one).

I live now near Centrair. Its a good name. But I prefer to call it Chubu. Tokyo is Narita, Kansai is Kansai then we are Chubu. But no...some brainiac wanted to put it as Central Japan International Airport and then shrink it to Central Airport and then Centrair. In Japanese its Chubu Kokusai Kuko. So Chubu is just fine.

The airport near the home I grew up is CWA: Central Wisconsin Airport. BORING. But airlines that fly in call it Wausau/Stevens Point. I think it should invoke the region better. Call it Ginseng Airport or Cheesehead Airport. But to really make it local: "Dat dem place where da planes come, ya know. Airport".
Yes...I am not a KIX fan. Let's Japanese Aviation!

MarshalN

Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:58 pm

I see my post got deleted

Well, I always want HK's airport to change form Chek Lap Kok to something else. Chek Lap Kok makes no sense to anyone who's not from HK. Kaitak was nice, but there can be only one  Sad

gunsontheroof

Tue Jan 17, 2006 4:15 pm

Quoting MarshalN (Reply 19):
Chek Lap Kok makes no sense to anyone who's not from HK.

...as opposed Hartsfield Int'l, Heathrow Int'l, O'Hare Int'l, Logan Int'l, Dulles Int'l, Pearson Int'l, Narita Int'l and Kingsford-Smith Int'l, which make complete sense to anyone who's not from Atlanta, London, Chicago, Boston, Washington, Toronto, Tokyo or Sydney.  Smile

HPRamper

Tue Jan 17, 2006 4:46 pm

Quoting Blackhawk144 (Reply 15):
All I hope is that once we get customs we will be renamed Boise International Airport.

You can bet on it  Smile

As for the pattern of naming airports after famous people...For SEA, how about Jimi Hendrix International? Or even Kurt Cobain International?

gunsontheroof

Tue Jan 17, 2006 4:52 pm

Quoting HPRamper (Reply 21):
For SEA, how about Jimi Hendrix International? Or even Kurt Cobain International?

I wouldn't bet on it, but it's more likely to happen in Seattle than anywhere else...so long as it's "Kurt Cobain-Tacoma International".

legendDC9

Tue Jan 17, 2006 4:55 pm

Quoting Dalb777 (Reply 12):
New Orleans International Airport (MSY) changed to Louis Armstrong New Orleans International Airport in August, 2001. It is also known here by its origional name, Moisant Field.

It should be the New Orleans international Seaport...

Quoting N1120A (Reply 17):
Actually, SeaTac is the short name. The official name is Seattle/Tacoma International Airport

Seatac is not only a short name but the suberb that the airport is located in. Over 45,000 people live in the city of Seatac. Just happens to be half way between Tacoma and Seattle...

gunsontheroof

Tue Jan 17, 2006 4:57 pm

Quoting LegendDC9 (Reply 23):
Seatac is not only a short name but the suberb that the airport is located in. Over 45,000 people live in the city of Seatac. Just happens to be half way between Tacoma and Seattle...

True story, but I believe the airport came first.

*Edit* Yep.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SeaTac%2C_Washington

[Edited 2006-01-17 08:58:25]

andz

Tue Jan 17, 2006 5:10 pm

JNB To Be Renamed (by Andz Dec 30 2005 in Civil Aviation)
After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...

LTU932

Tue Jan 17, 2006 5:39 pm

I wonder what names could be used to rename my local Airports SYQ and SJO. SYQ is Tobías Bolaños International, but I would not mind if it was renamed to Pavas International (since the Airport is in Pavas, San José).

As for SJO, it used to be El Coco (El Coco is still used as the ATC callsign for SJO; e.g. Coco Tower, Coco Control, etc. and the TIO VOR is also called El Coco), but was renamed into Juan Santamaría International after a National hero here in Costa Rica. I don't know how controversial it would be if SJO would be renamed either back to El Coco or maybe be named after a former President or other local celebrity.

As for my hometown's Airport, HAM, it's simply known as Hamburg Airport. The name is simple and instantly recongnisable, but how about naming the Airport after an important celebrity from Hamburg, like our former chancellor Helmut Schmidt?

L410Turbolet

Tue Jan 17, 2006 7:29 pm

Edinburgh Airport was suggested as being re-named Harry Potter International

How about Orlando-Sanford being renamed to Mickey Mouse International Airport???  rotfl   scared   crazy   faint 

atco2b

Tue Jan 17, 2006 7:44 pm

Southampton International Airport...

Solent International  Smile
Hey, you want to go out for pizza and some sex? What, you don't like pizza?

BBJII

Tue Jan 17, 2006 7:46 pm

Quoting L410Turbolet (Reply 27):
How about Orlando-Sanford being renamed to Mickey Mouse International Airport???

I prefer:

Disney International
Florida Charterhouse (home to so many Charters)
-or-
Disney Florida Charterhouse International(....and not forgetting....)Airport.

wave 
Remember: The Bird Hit You, You Didn't Hit The Bird.....

oldeuropean

Tue Jan 17, 2006 8:23 pm

CGN, Cologne "Konrad Adenauer" to be renamed:

"Air de Cologne International"

How does it smells?

Axel  Big grin
Wer nichts weiss muss alles glauben

IceTitan447

Tue Jan 17, 2006 8:58 pm

O Hare Municipal airport.

Just Kidding!
 Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile

ltbewr

Tue Jan 17, 2006 9:37 pm

Far too often politicans like to get 'cheap' attention and votes for a short time in the naming or renaming airports or their terminal buildings. Instead of the often unglamorous local/regional city name of the site of the airport which makes the best sense, and far too often they like to use the names of local politicans, or the the names of locally or international known people connected to history. Sometimes the names of those politicans can be conterverial due to connections to corruption or racism. Here in the NY City area our major airports show these ususal naming issues.
LGA = LaGaurdia International Airport - Named after the Mayor of NY City whom established that airport in the late 1930's as there was no New York City airport within NY City (this was after his flght to 'New York' was to EWR and insisted to be flown to within NY City).
EWR = Newark-Liberty International Airport - Named after the City of Newark where the airport was initially sited (in later years, later expanded into the City of Elizabeth). It is rarely referred to with the 'Liberty' part added after the 9/11 terror attacks by the politicans in the metro area. I don't think of 'liberty' when I am going through TSA security at that or any airport.
JFK = John F. Kennedy International Airport. Oriiginally Idlewide Int'l Airport for the name for the wetlands area where it was built at, it was renamed in 1964, shortly after JFK's assisnation. Many schools, roads/streets, government buildings were named or renamed to JFK after his assination too, and once again was politicans being their usual selves.

himmat01

Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:05 pm

Out here in Bombay, the airport was renamed 5 years back after a local warrior king, Chattrapati Shivaji Maharaj. We have the main railway station named after him too.

It would have made more sense to name the airport after JRD Tata, the father of Indian civil aviation. It is really disgusting to see airports named after local politicians or war lords.

MAA: Anna international/Kamraj Domestic
DEL: Indira Gandhi International.
CCU: Subhash Chandra Bose International.
HYD: NTR/Rajiv Gandhi Airport.
An airplane might disappoint any pilot but it'll never surprise a good one.

Lufthansa

Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:39 pm

I wouldn't mind calling Melbourne, Jeff Kennet International.

Gatwick I think definately should be Marget thatcher Intercontinental.... given the large US presence at that airport flying to places where she had a lot of friends (like in Texas!)

And what about Winston Churchhill? Maybe we should rename CDG after him because without him that airport would today have a german name. (joking!)

I would just love to see something in new zealand, perhaps CHC, remaned with "Middle Earth" in the title.

How about Dubai gets "alladin's palace & Intercontinental worldport?"

masseybrown

Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:44 pm

My two airports are Baltimore Washington International Thurgood Marshall Airport and Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport. I would rename them Baltimore Airport and Washington Airport. Lest Dulles feel left out, I would rename it West Virginia International.

Let's quit calling EVERYTHING after politicians, live or otherwise.

Tornado82

Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:19 pm

Quoting D L X (Reply 3):

Agreed.

Quoting MasseyBrown (Reply 35):
I would rename it West Virginia International.

Seeing as how the airport isn't in the state of West Virginia, I disagree with that part. Also, I think the people at CRW like their reign of being the only international airport in WV, sure as heck isn't BKW, PKB, CKB, or MGW.

MGW is a neat name... Hart Field Municipal Airport... it's kind of like Hartsfield's little tiny kid.  Smile

Coronado990

Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:23 am

Quoting Centrair (Reply 18):
always loved that Minneapolis International Airport is Lindbergh Terminal (the main one) and Hubert Humphrey Terminal (the small one).

But there is only one Lindbergh Field. Long live Lindbergh!
Uncle SAN at your service!

SK A340

Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:38 am

There were some talks a couple of years ago to re-name Stockholm Arlanda to Alfred Nobel International (ARN could still be used for the new name). I think it would be nice, but it's not going to happen in the near future.

/Micke

desertjets

Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:52 am

Proof that even back in the day politicos were pushing to get airports named after them.

The Airport was originally named after Clarence E. Hancock, who was a Congressman in the 36th District from 1927 to 1946. The district included the City of Syracuse and all of Onondaga County. Mr. Hancock's family and friends petitioned the Syracuse Common Council and expressed their desire to have the new airport named in his honor. They felt that his longtime service and dedication to the citizens of Onondaga County would be an inspiration to all who visited the Airport.

To this day SYR is commonly refered to as Hancock or "the airport".

Personally I've always liked PHX's name, Phoenix Sky Harbor International. Sky Harbor is a great unique name that nobody has copied.
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

HAWK21M

Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:55 am

Mumbai currently called "Chatrapati Shivaji International Terminal"
I would call it "JRD Tata International Airport".
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

LO231

Wed Jan 18, 2006 1:05 am

ANR - Antwerp Deurne. Antwerp Rubens Int'l?

Regards,
LO231
Got both LO 788 frames already, next LO E95 and 734 BRU-WAW-BRU

fraspotter

Wed Jan 18, 2006 1:31 am

If I could rename FRA Airport in Germany, I would probably name it "Konrad Adenaur International Airport". The first post WWII German Chancellor...
"Taking off is optional. It’s landing that’s mandatory."

n757kw

Wed Jan 18, 2006 2:25 am

Being from ATL, I would prefer to see Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport change to just plain Atlanta International Airport.

But, if I have to put up with a name for it, call it Atlanta William Tecumseh Sherman International Airport. Nothing like naming a southern building after a d**n Yankee. OK, I will turn off the bad taste southern humor.  footinmouth 

N757KW
"What we've got here, is failure to communicate." from Cool Hand Luke

hmmmm...

Wed Jan 18, 2006 2:46 am

May I suggest that JFK be renamed George W International, or GWB. At least George is doing something. JFKs only real claim to fame as president is that some guy shot him in the head. And for that he got not only a major airport, but Cape Canaveral.
An optimist robs himself of the joy of being pleasantly surprised

IAHFLYR

Wed Jan 18, 2006 2:51 am

George Bush Intercontinental Airport Houston......IAH. Named for Houston resident and former Pres. Bush (41) but really should be renamed and the name taken from the airport ID...IAH....It Ain't Hobby!  Smile
Any views shared are strictly my own and do not a represent those of any former employer.

Airdolomiti

Wed Jan 18, 2006 3:14 am

Whilst not technically my "local" airport anymore (I moved away from Venice last summer) I still like VCE's name:

Aeroporto di Venezia "Marco Polo".

A natural choice, given Marco Polo's legendary journeys in Asia. Just a shame that we can't seem to get a regular flight to China or Japan - there certainly is the scope for a scheduled flight, given the amount of business and tourism Venice gets from there.

My current local airport, TRS, is called quite simply Aeroporto Friuli-Venezia Giulia - Ronchi dei Legionari (Friuli-Venezia Giulia being the region of Trieste).
I don't know what it could be called otherwise...maybe Aeroporto di Trieste "James Joyce", since Joyce was a rather important figure in Trieste's literary culture, and the name could be easily recognised by non-Italians.

Alternatively, some important names from literature and history such as "Umberto Saba", "Italo Svevo", or "Lucio Fabio Severo" (Lucius Fabius Severus was the first Senator from Trieste, or rather Tergeste, in the times of the Ancient Roman Empire - 2nd-3rd century AD).

Federico  Smile

SNfreak

Wed Jan 18, 2006 3:31 am

Brussels National here, but everybody calls it Zaventem (that's the town where most of the airport is located in)
Wouldn't call it anything else, or do you guys like "Sprouts, Chocolate or Wafels International" ? lol
Life is simple : Eat, Sleep and Fly

masseybrown

Wed Jan 18, 2006 3:37 am

Quoting Tornado82 (Reply 36):
Seeing as how the airport isn't in the state of West Virginia, I disagree with that part.

No, but Dulles is closer to West Virginia than it is to Washington.  Smile

FI642

Wed Jan 18, 2006 3:40 am

My vote would be to change BWI back to Friendship International Airport, and give us back our old code BAL.
737MAX, Cool Planes for the Worlds Coolest Airline.