LH492
Topic Author

Your Best/worst Landings

Sun Feb 12, 2006 12:54 am

Hey,

I know this had been posted before but since new members join daily and a new experience could happen at every flight I would be interested to hear your stories.

For me, the best was on a United 777 while landing in SFO, I only knew we had landed due to the reverse thrust.
The worst was on a Lufthansa 747-400 in LAX, heavy crosswinds caused us to slam on the runway.

I am looking forward to your responses,
cheers  wave 
Carpe Diem, Seize The Day

nateDAL

RE: Your Best/worst Landings

Sun Feb 12, 2006 2:04 am

I assume that you mean smooth vs. rough.

I have had a lot of smooth landings, I don't remember any one in particular.

The most frightening landing that I can recall was an MU 737-300 from PEK-LHW. I don't recall any problems on approach. Right when we hit the ground, we swerved hard to the right. Everyone screamed, but the pilot recovered. I still have no idea what happened. It was the only time that I have thought that I might not make it.

In one month, I will be flying SXM-SBH, which should be an interesting landing.

[Edited 2006-02-11 18:05:40]
Set Love Free

CO7e7

Sun Feb 12, 2006 3:05 pm

One of my roughest landings was on a CO EWR TLV (084) in Dec. 05
The plane which was a T7 slammed the ground so hard to the point where i felt sick to my stomach!

deltagator

Sun Feb 12, 2006 3:48 pm

Best landing...any of them where I survive in one piece. So far that's been all of them.

Worst landing...Delta 763ER from CVG to ATL in April of 98 on the day the tornadoes tore through Atlanta. After a long time in a holding pattern NW of ATL the pilot assured us we would make a few turns to avoid some storm cells and land soon. He lied! We never made a single turn until we were in final. The plane was rocking, dropping, creaking, moaning, and doing many other things and sounds I don't believe a plane should do. I would say about 1/2 of the passengers got sick and threw up. Luckily I was not one of them but that plane stunk to high heavens. Whatever the minimum decision height is for ATL is was used by us that day. You couldn't see the runway until the last second and we got hit by a downdraft so we slammed into the runway going very fast and took the whole length to bring that beast to a stop. The passengers gave the pilot a sitting ovation (seat belt sign still on mind you) and then proceeded to give their barf bags to the stewardesses.
"If you can't delight in the misery of others then you don't deserve to be a college football fan."

AR1300

Sun Feb 12, 2006 4:21 pm

As a pilot or as passanger??

Mike
You are now free to move about the cabin

LH492
Topic Author

Sun Feb 12, 2006 4:58 pm

Quote:
As a pilot or as passanger??

It does not matter, if you have any experiences as a pilot it would be great if you shared them.

Cheers  wave 
Carpe Diem, Seize The Day

thepilot

Sun Feb 12, 2006 5:25 pm

My worst landing was in CIA with Ryanair. We hit right at the beginning of the runway, and slammed so hard I almost hit my head. Most likely not going to fly FR anymore.
Best landing as a passenger was with C6 in PBI from YUL. I could barely feel us touch down. Same in YUL. This is one reason C6 is one of my favorite airlines. As a pilot, during my stage 1 checkride for the twin, I landed so smooth. I was so proud of myself. Also, third landing on my first solo.
Happy Flying!
From YVR

AR1300

Sun Feb 12, 2006 10:58 pm

well, as a pilot, once I miscallculated and still wonder how come the gear didn't break.Rough 172 ....

And the best one was in a TZ 738 LGA-MDW.didn't even realize that we landed till I heard the reversers.

Mike
You are now free to move about the cabin

Matt27

Mon Feb 13, 2006 12:35 am

My best landing was on a Novair A320 at LPA some years ago. I barely noticed anything when we touched down.

The worst was on a Lufthansa B737-300 at GOT...
Man ska inte dricka rödvin i en vit hall.

turnit56N

Mon Feb 13, 2006 5:22 am

Best: First time I landed a jet (Legacy). It felt great, and I'm sure that it was due 30% to beginner's luck, 60% to the very good coaching of the captain, 10% to my obviously biased perceptions, and 0% to any natural inborn talent.

Worst: Second time I landed a jet. Enough said.

The universe makes sure you don't stay cocky for long.
Aviation is not so much a profession as it is a disease.

babybus

Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:10 am

The best was on a BA 737 at Gatwick. I didn't feel it land and the braking was as slow and gradual as car brakes. The captain said it was going to be like that before it happened.

The worst was a BD DC9 to Teesside. There were extremely strong crosswinds and he couldn't hold the wings steady. When we landed it looked like the wing tip was about to slam into the tarmac. Very nasty. In fact the whole flight was scary.
and with that..cabin crew, seats for landing please.