jfktowerfan
Crew

Am I The Only Coach Passenger On This Site?

Tue Mar 14, 2006 4:25 am

Is it just me or what? I read the trip reports and other posts and I feel like I am the only one out there riding in the back of the plane. "I flew 27 hours in F and the rubbed my back and bathed me in champagne" "We ate so much food we almost exploded" "oh the ptv was bigger than the one at my house" "the seat was so big I could have had two more people in the seat with me" blah blah blah....meanwhile I am in the back shoulder to shoulder with some smelly old guy and some crazy woman who wants to tell me her life story. Praying I will get one of those pretzel bags with 3 broken pretzels in it so I don't perish before we arrive, and hoping I won't get that god awful stare when I ask for no ice and the whole can of coke.
So come on...please tell me I am not the only clown riding in coach!

Corey
C'mon Man

cosec59

RE: Am I The Only Coach Passenger On This Site?

Tue Mar 14, 2006 4:28 am

Quoting JFKTOWERFAN (Thread starter):

No your not. I always fly economy. I would rather have the extra money at my destination  Big grin
Rules are for the obedience of fools but for the guidance of wise men

PHLBOS

Tue Mar 14, 2006 4:32 am

The only time I didn't fly on Coach was on YX; mainly due to the all-Signature Seating arrangement on their 717s.
"TransEastern! You'll feel like you've never left the ground because we treat you like dirt!" SNL Parady ad circa 1981

Delta767300ER

Tue Mar 14, 2006 4:56 am

Naw, I fly Coach to. Its easier to dip in Coach than F/C.

-Delta767300ER

LHMark

Tue Mar 14, 2006 4:59 am

I have never flown in any class but coach.

Hell, once I flew PeopleExpress BRU-EWR and back. That was eight hours of sub-coach.

Now I get to fly around in a 1964 Piper Cherokee 140. Again, zero amenities.
"Sympathy is something that shouldn't be bestowed on the Yankees. Apparently it angers them." - Bob Feller

redngold

Tue Mar 14, 2006 5:01 am

Ummmm ... since I usually usually fly on Southwest, I guess that makes me a coach passenger...! Seriously, though, the only time I ever flew business or first class was when I got the last seat on a USAirways flight (PIT-TPA) after being rebooked due to weather. Seat 1C. I was absolutely spoiled.

[Edited 2006-03-13 21:01:28]
Up, up and away!

ManuCH
Crew

Tue Mar 14, 2006 5:01 am

I always fly economy. My only time flying Business in a wide-body was when I got upgraded for free on ZRH-JFK in the good old times of Swissair, where having a Travelclub Silver member in the family would actually help  Smile

And I also bought a Business ticket on a short Saab 2000 hop once, because it would actually cost *the same* as Economy (?!). But the only difference between Y and C on a Swiss Saab 2000 is the little sandwich you get in C, and sitting in the first rows ...
Never trust a statistic you didn't fake yourself

Door5Right

Tue Mar 14, 2006 5:02 am

LOL - your chosen topic mad me laugh out loud, Mr Corey. Most of us are well and truly down the back, although I am guilty of writing about going "F" once!

But congratulations to you for the photograph of nice wee Sherpa. Don't see many of those on here!
My soul is in the sky...

skidmarks

Tue Mar 14, 2006 5:12 am

Don't worry Corey, your not the only one travelling "cattle class". As a cherished BA employee I ALWAYS get a seat down the back, in steerage. I've only once ever had an upgrade to World Traveller Plus (whatever class that is!)

Just fly for the fun and forget the class. As far as I am concerned, it's all hours in the log book. Big grin

Mind you, I'm going standby to YYZ next month, maybe a business class upgrade.......................?

Andy  old 
Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional

Lindy

Tue Mar 14, 2006 5:15 am

I am with you  Smile Always fly econnomy class. But two weeks ago I upgraded myself for the first time to first class on flight from DCA to CLT ($50 upgrade). 3 words - Not Worth It!
- I've got to board first (thats nice)
- I was offered pre-flight drink (WTF- I just got to my seat, if I was thirsty I would buy water in the food court)
- I've got two pretzel bags not one!
- Extra legroom? Not really - Snob flying next to me put his shit under the seats which didn't allowed me to fully strech my legs.
- First of the aircraft (thats bad - I always ask if I can see the cockpit, this time I had to move like I was on hurry somewhere - and I had 2 hours to kill at CLT)

I won't fly anymore first class within USA - simply, its not worth the money. I will take business or first class on transatlantic flights anytime (not for all the food you can get, but for the legroom).

And one more thing - I don't know why people in trip reports write entire First Class menu. Who cares what they have to offer, just write what you had on that damned flight. Thats it.

Proud Coach Flyer...
Rafal
BWIADCA - Nikon D100

AeroWesty

Tue Mar 14, 2006 5:20 am

Quoting Lindy (Reply 9):
I don't know why people in trip reports write entire First Class menu

There's obviously a following for what people get served onboard in First and Business, hell there are entire threads on FlyerTalk devoted just to what menu is offered when/where by different airlines.

I'm sure you yourself have interests that others would find a bore--such as reading trip reports in the first place.  Smile
International Homo of Mystery

YYZflyer

Tue Mar 14, 2006 5:20 am

I always fly coach too eccept for 3 times. PVR-YYZ 2 times. And MCO-YYZ. They were all on Air Transat. For the MCO-YYZ some guy who worked for the company came up to us(I was with my dad) and asked if we wanted to be upgraded for................... $90US for 2 people; who would refuse that!?  eek 
Avoid hangovers, stay drunk.

Sabena332

Tue Mar 14, 2006 5:22 am

On short-haul flights I am for 90% in Economy, on long-haul flights I am for 50% in Eco and for 50% in Business Class.

Last month I was booked in Eco but got upgraded to Biz Class when I flew AMS-DTW, yayers, seems that the silver SkyTeam card isn't completely useless!

Patrick
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

EGGD

Tue Mar 14, 2006 5:24 am

I thought you meant 'Greyhound' coach.

Oh well. Yes I always fly Economy, I've flown other classes one or two times but on the whole neither I nor my family can afford to fly in anything other than Economy.

kiwiinoz

Tue Mar 14, 2006 5:26 am

When work's paying, it's business class

When I'm paying, it's always economy.

mhodgson

Tue Mar 14, 2006 5:35 am

I've flown economy on all but one return flight, which was LGW-NCE-LGW with BA. I'm hoping that may change over summer, fingers crossed!
No trees were harmed by this message. However, several million electrons were terribly inconvenienced

max999

Tue Mar 14, 2006 5:45 am

I am only 23 and I pay for all my plane tickets so it's economy for me all the time, no matter how short the flight. Even if my parents were still supporting me, they would have never paid anything beyond economy class. And I'm not senior enough with my employer that I am going to meetings which require me to fly somewhere.

I think there's no need to get envious of all the talk on here about business and first class experiences. It's natural that it's more fun to talk about a first class experience than to talk about the service offered back in good 'ol cattle class.

However, I have noticed that the tone of some users on here who described their premium class experiences to be bordering on the arrogant.
All the things I really like to do are either immoral, illegal, or fattening.

MKEdude

Tue Mar 14, 2006 5:51 am

Like most of the people in this thread I am one of the plebes relegated to the back of the bus, er...plane. The only time I flew business was when I went over to Japan after college and my employer sprung for a business class ticket, ahh heaven.
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline." Frank Zappa

senorcarnival

Tue Mar 14, 2006 5:51 am

I always travel coach too. I don't think I'll be travelling any other class anytime soon.
Oh no, she's getting impatient! Take a stab at it!

aloges

Tue Mar 14, 2006 5:52 am

Another coach rider checking in (I wish), the only time I made it to biz was on UA when eco was full... made FRA-IAD on my first 747 a very good time!  goodvibes 
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

AirPacific747

Tue Mar 14, 2006 5:53 am

I always fly economy aswell. I have only tried first class onboard a SAS flight from Copenhagen to Madrid and back again which didn't cost us extra as we used my dads bonuspoints which were getting old, so he had no choice but to spend them on an upgrade.

solarix

Tue Mar 14, 2006 5:59 am

Coach for me. I don't see the point in spending so much extra money for a short amount of pampering and for someone to call me by name. To me the cost is just not worth it (or affordable for that matter).
Bong Hits 4 Jesus

CRJ705

Tue Mar 14, 2006 6:07 am

I always fly coach with the exception of redeeming my Aeroplan miles for my trip to NY this spring, and I am flying coach to Hong Kong after my stay in New York to visit relatives. I want to try to earn elite or super elite with AC so that I can try their long haul business product using upgrade certificates, but thats a bit of a pipe dream because I am still a poor student, and I need cash for other essentials. I mean for the price that business class dictates, its not really worth it unless a person genuinely needs to rest before tackling a major task. Its fun to read those lucky individuals whom fly in business, but when it comes to the majority of travellers, its economy all the way.

Regards
CRJ705

P.S. I am planning on writing a TR for my trip, so you can read somewhat of an evaluation between coach and business on AC.

TransIsland

Tue Mar 14, 2006 6:20 am

No, you're not. You have the crazy woman telling you her life story and the smelly guy next to you.... I hope that wasn't me  Wink
I'm an aviation expert. I have Sky Juice for breakfast.

NWADC9

Tue Mar 14, 2006 6:30 am

I fly coach almost all the time. I did get upgrades in the past being a non-rev passenger, but that's just about it.
Flying an aeroplane with only a single propeller to keep you in the air. Can you imagine that? -Capt. Picard

srbmod

Tue Mar 14, 2006 6:32 am

When I worked in the industry and had non-rev priviledges, I sat up in Business Class/First Class quite a bit, especially when I was working for ASA and got to fly on DL. On FL, I got to sit up in Business Class a few times (Once I was upgraded by the crew, another time the flight had 11 people so they let us all sit up front, and the last two times were using some employee upgrade certificates I earned for perfect attendance during the holiday season).

Since I'm not longer in the industry and have to buy my tickets, I buy what I can afford, and that's coach. Although I do have friends in the industry from whom I can score buddy passes, I really haven't used the opportunity as the flights I want to take are next to impossible to non-rev on.

TuffGong

Quoting TransIsland (Reply 23):
.... I hope that wasn't me

rotfl 

As for me, it's always been cattle, except for when I flew to LA and back from YLW last month I had seat 1A Business on AC YLW-YVR-LAX-YVR, but the leg home was a Dash8 so no luck there. Having experienced both, I sure as hell wish I had the money to fly Biz or First all the time, but I'm young and hopefully will have many oppertunities in my future to be at the front.
Meet you at the Ol' Yacht club for a pint.

BR076

Quoting Cosec59 (Reply 1):
No your not. I always fly economy. I would rather have the extra money at my destination Big grin

Same here , who cares about 1 or 2 inch more space for 12 or 13 hours , when it will save you several hundreds of $$$  Smile
ú

aviationmaster

Nah, I fly coach too Big grin

In my younger years (  Wink ) my dad used to get discounts for Swissair long haul flights, because he knew someone who worked at Swissair. I've also flown business class on AeroMexico and first on United, but that's about it! My last flight upfront was back in 2000 (my last SR flight too!).

dba4u

Tue Mar 14, 2006 6:45 am

On intra-european routes on LH ex HAM you can spend 1200€ for a roundtrip in biz class or 1200€ for 12 roundtrips in eco. Which normal thinking human who has no "Dukatenscheisser" at home would fly biz class? Not to mention a flying-addicted a.nut.

David

My plane: D-ABES
My seat: 22F
coach rox!
:D

yowza

Tue Mar 14, 2006 6:48 am

When I'm paying it's 70% economy, 30% business, 0% first
When works paying if it isn't business or better I ain't going!

YOWza

A319XFW

Tue Mar 14, 2006 7:08 am

When I'm paying it's always as cheap as possible (read economy).
But there have been times when work has paid when I get the random surprise upgrade.

Business class flights:

FRA - LHR (BA)
LHR - YYZ (AC)
YYZ - YWG (AC)
YVR - LHR (AC)
MAN - HAM (LH)
LHR - HAM (LH)
And then the random company internal flights which are business class.

And single aisle business class flying (at least with) with LH isn't worth it. You get the same legroom. The only advantage is the lounge at the airport.
But on one of my business class flights (which I didn't know I was in that class) I asked for the emergency exit aisle and was told "There are no emergency exits in business class, Sir." Sod-all help it did, as I slept the whole flight!

[Edited 2006-03-13 23:19:26]

jfktowerfan
Crew

Tue Mar 14, 2006 7:17 am

ahhh...thank you all for making me feel a little better!

Corey
C'mon Man

atrude777

Tue Mar 14, 2006 8:45 am

I fly SWA exclusively so coach for me as well. I also fly coach in other airlines too. Only flonw First Class once commercially, and twice on charter flights.

Alex
Good things come to those who wait, better things come to those who go AFTER it!

lehpron

Tue Mar 14, 2006 8:48 am

• is coach a PC tag for "economy class"?
  • what are all the names of cabin classes and do they change between carriers? If so, might it have to do with PR?

[Edited 2006-03-14 00:48:37]
The meaning of life is curiosity; we were put on this planet to explore opportunities.

stlgph

Tue Mar 14, 2006 8:48 am

COACH?

COACH!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

My dear, Mr. STLGph doesnt ever share a fuselage!
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

canuckpaxguy

Tue Mar 14, 2006 8:53 am

Quoting STLGph (Reply 35):

Is that at the request of the airline? (j/k)

G

AirCop

Tue Mar 14, 2006 8:55 am

Besides the wider seats in Coach (Domestic), whats the difference between the First Class and Coach, get there at the same time.

stlgph

Tue Mar 14, 2006 8:58 am

Quoting Canuckpaxguy (Reply 36):
Quoting STLGph (Reply 35):

Is that at the request of the airline? (j/k)

Ah shucks, I set myself up for that one, didn't I?
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

babybus

Tue Mar 14, 2006 8:59 am

Yes I think you are.

And I think you are also the only person on here who isn't a fully trained, 16 year old, 747-400 captain.  Wink  stirthepot 
and with that..cabin crew, seats for landing please.

texan

Tue Mar 14, 2006 9:07 am

I flew in first once. There were 12 of us on the flight from DFW-TUS. I asked the flight attendant if I could sit in first. She said sure, why not? Wouldn't pay for it. Flying is all about price to me. Don't expect to be well fed or entertained, so I always bring my own food and music or computer. Saves money Smile

Texan
"I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library."

gocaps16

Tue Mar 14, 2006 9:41 am

I can never afford to fly in first class, so I always book my flights in coach. The only time I fly first class is on domestic flights on skyteam airlines becuase of the free complimentary unlimited upgrades I get. Flying first class on an MD88 under 500 miles isnt really worth it, but flying in bizelite on a 777-200 from ATL-LAX or a 757, 767s is. Otherwise, when I fly on American, United, JetBlue, I always fly coach. Even when I fly international, I can never afford to spend $6-8 grand roundtrip. But, yea...I need some extra cash on me for hotel and stuff to do while I'm traveling. Ya know...?

Kevin

[Edited 2006-03-14 01:49:42]

jafa39

Tue Mar 14, 2006 10:40 am

Economy all the way, there isn't a domestic bizz class in NZ and any one who pays for same is being ripped off royally!!

I go Economy on long-haul too, so incidentally do our Board Members.

I don't actually read FC or Bizz TR's, the crazies are all at the back and they make the reports interesting!
We, the undersigned, do hereby consent.....

pacificjourney

Tue Mar 14, 2006 10:49 am

Any flying at all would be a luxury lately, count myself lucky to pick up someone at the airport these days and even then it's a big piece of grass and parking in the mud !
" Help, help ... I'm being oppressed ... "

CXA330300

Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:51 am

Almost exclusively coach........

I still read whatever reports I find interesting..........including F/C reports. Ah, delusions of grandeur.
AC/AA/UA/DL/B6/WN/US*/CO*/FI/BA/IB/AF/SK/LX/Sabena*/TK/LY/SA/MN/SW/AM/CE*/CX/CA/MU/JL/SQ/TG/MH/KA/5J

ctbarnes

Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:08 pm

Me too. I travel once every 1-2 months: not enough for diamond-encrusted frequent flyer status, so my travels are with the great unwashed.  Big grin Next month I travel to ORD on an award ticket over Easter weekend, and the only flights available were at the peak unrestricted award level. Nice thing about that with AS Mileage Plan is if you book in that level they put you in First Class!  bigthumbsup 

Charles, SJ
The customer isn't a moron, she is your wife -David Ogilvy

Molykote

Tue Mar 14, 2006 2:27 pm

I've flown a mix of classes on domestic and international routes.

For most domestic flights I don't much care what class I am in. If I feel like some video entertainment and am in the mood for some wine F is nice (although I don't care for much of the wine offered in domestic F). I won't touch any food that I've seen on a domestic flight. I often don't care for the attitudes that many domestic F passengers carry with them.
I bought a car on ebay about a year ago and was offered an upgrade on a 2 hour flight to pick up the car. I told the agent to let someone else have it. The flight was lightly loaded or else I would have taken the upgrade. I had a newspaper and no desire to drink (as well as my own row of coach). For transcon or near transcon flights I'd be more likely to pay up but only depending on loads and the time of day at which I am flying. In short, the domestic F products just don't offer me much over the Y products.

International flying is a different story but I would be unlikely to pay for a J seat unless sales were offered (I fould some discounted J seats last year on international routes for $2k). The only truly extravagant flight experience I have had was a trip to Rome with my girlfriend in F (180deg flat seats, awesome wine, food, and service to beat most fine restaurants I have experienced).
On the other hand, I have flown 10 hours in coach on international flights and been surprisingly very impressed with the overall experience. However, my opinion probably would have been drastically different if I didn't have a PTV, decent food (did not drink alcohol as I didn't want to deal with the effects in coach), nice seat pitch, and excellent service.

In short:
Domestic F is unlikely to be worth the price (for me) regardless of the route.

International J might be worth the price.

I couldn't imagine paying anything near the full price for international F.
I found it most impressive but the physical comfort offered isn't dramatically superior to J in my opinion (although I prefer to sleep in a cradle position on an airplane rather than a 180deg lie flat). The food and wine was more than adequate in J.
Speedtape - The aspirin of aviation!

UTA_flyinghigh

Tue Mar 14, 2006 6:44 pm

I always fly Y when on my own money.
C/J is flown on company money; when cheap upgrades are offered or obviously when opped-up (yay !)
I fly F in domestic US and very rarely internationally (in fact my last intl F segment was 5 years ago).

I however use my status and relative aircraft knowledge to get the best Y+/Y seats available; on some carriers/aircraft some Y seats have actually more legroom than F/C/J but ssssssshhhhhhhh  Wink

UTA  checkeredflag 
Fly to live, live to fly - Air France/KLM Flying Blue Platinum, BMI Diamond Club Gold, Emirates Skywards

cedars747

Tue Mar 14, 2006 8:26 pm

When it comes to me ,i believe that i only live once ,so when my budget permits i fly i wont say first but Business specially on long flights such Europe-Argentina.I flew first with Varig/Air France/MEA and believe me it's another world!!!
Regards
Alex!!!  wave 
Tengo una pasion por la aviacion !لدي شغف للطيران !I have a passion for aviation !Jeg har en lidenskap for luftfart!j'ai

HT

Tue Mar 14, 2006 9:11 pm

Flying around in Europe (using majors, charter and LCC) I fly in Coach.
Flying longhaul on business (only once yet and on next Sunday), I get C-Class.
Flying longhaul on leisure, recently I did bite the apple and bought discounted C-Class tickets for me, as to my experience, a miserable experience over 10-12h in coach can ruin the whole 2 weeks of vacation (taking my body shape into account, I have problems in most Y-seats).

Recently, LH wanted to upgrade me from (paid for by myself) C to F for sector LAX to FRA. However they wanted to deduct quite a number of miles from my account, so I declined ...
-HT
Carpe diem ! Life is too short to waste your time ! Keep in mind, that today is the first day of the rest of your life !