1337Delta764
Topic Author

Most Overrated U.S. Airline

Wed Mar 15, 2006 4:59 am

This poll is not to bash any airlines.

What do you think is the most overrated airline?

IMO I would say that most LCCs are overrated (exceptions: Song and Ted), but the most overrated I would say are Southwest and JetBlue. Southwest is overhyped for their reputation for low fares, and JetBlue is overrated for their amenities.
The Pink Delta 767-400ER - The most beautiful aircraft in the sky

9KBOS

RE: Most Overrated U.S. Airline

Wed Mar 15, 2006 9:52 am

I agree.....B6 is most overrated.  Smile

dfwmzuri

Wed Mar 15, 2006 10:25 am

Quoting 1337Delta764 (Thread starter):
Southwest is overhyped for their reputation for low fares, and JetBlue is overrated for their amenities.

I've never flown JetBlue so I cannot comment on them, but agree with the above about Southwest.

thepilot

Wed Mar 15, 2006 10:34 am

When I flew WN, all I really liked were the flight attendant's personalities. I fail to see why customer satisfaction is so high, seeing as it is one line after another. Never flown B6, but plan to.
Happy Flying!
From YVR

phuebner

Wed Mar 15, 2006 1:44 pm

I just don't like the idea of being packed into a plane like cattle, ala WN.
Remember this, Your Body is a temple Not a pull toy!

AirCop

Fri Mar 17, 2006 9:52 am

American Airlines; they put the act on that they are the class of the United States, when they still continue to reduce the cabin service to the level of a sub LCC. On their overseas service on the 763 (In coach) its not much different than what one would expect from the DFW-SAT service.

ClassicLover

Fri Mar 17, 2006 11:50 pm

Quoting Aircop (Reply 5):
American Airlines; they put the act on that they are the class of the United States, when they still continue to reduce the cabin service to the level of a sub LCC. On their overseas service on the 763 (In coach) its not much different than what one would expect from the DFW-SAT service.

Yeah but their domestic First and Business service is actually very good.
I do quite enjoy a spot of flying - more so when it's not in Economy!

worldjet777

Sun Mar 19, 2006 1:13 pm

Quoting Aircop (Reply 5):

Well said...I got off a LGW/DFW sector yesterday on a newly configured 763 and the service has made me seriously reconsider where I stand with AA...They are just overstepping their bounds when it comes to cost saving methods...Their domestic first product if fine, but they seem to fail in identifying the "special" customers who pay a lot for their tickets...something I think an airline like CO does particularly well.
just my  twocents 
Cheers,
worldjet777
Now Your Flying Smart

DL4EVR

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:18 am

B6 is definitely overrated. Other than the PTVs (which are now becoming more common on other airlines anyway), they really don't offer anything special. Wow...blue potato chips.
We Love To Fly And It Shows.

ATLFlyer323

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:22 am

Quoting Phuebner (Reply 4):
I just don't like the idea of being packed into a plane like cattle, ala WN.

Not saying I disagree with you but every airline pretty much hopes to pack people into a plane like cattle. Whether they do it by assigning a seat or not is irrelevant.

~Brandon
Everyday, the fluffy temptation of wheat!

jm017

Mon Mar 27, 2006 1:04 am

I guess i would have to say jetBlue. I finally flew then yesterday. I am not saying they were bad, but I was left wondering what the hype was all about. The PTVs were nice (no CBS though, so I couldn't watch the NCAAs) , but i actually had a taste of that on a united flight last month. So it's not really a unique experience.

The blue potato chips were a disappointment.  Smile.
"It's okay to cheat, if you just really don't like to lose."

exFATboy

Mon Mar 27, 2006 5:16 am

Quoting Jm017 (Reply 10):
The blue potato chips were a disappointment.

Should have had the biscotti, they're good.  Silly

Seriously, even though I'm a B6 fan and - full disclosure here - own a whopping 175 shares of JBLU, I can understand where the "overrated" reactions come from, and even agree to an extent. They do get hyped a lot, and expectations get overblown - it's not like you're flying first class on Emirates or one of the Asian carriers or something.

The attraction is the value-added touches you don't get on network carriers: slightly better seat pitch, DirecTV, the snack basket, FAs that don't glare at you when you ask for two biscotti (the TV even invites you to) and who are friendly without the annoying "folksiness" you get all too often on WN, etc.