azza40

What Airlines Are You Scared Of Flying With?

Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:02 am

title says my question. i am not really scared of flying with an airline...well maybe AA F100's (when they had them) the interior was horrible.

anyway, which airlines are you SCARED of flying with?

Aaron  fluffy 
Not been on here for a good 2/3 years!

YYZflyer

Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:16 am

Quoting Azza40 (Thread starter):
which airlines are you SCARED of flying with?

Most likely the ones that don't really have the best maintenance for their aircraft.
Avoid hangovers, stay drunk.

ClassicLover

Sat Mar 25, 2006 9:06 am

well maybe AA F100's (when they had them) the interior was horrible.

How can an interior make you feel scared? Was there dried blood on the seats or something?
I do quite enjoy a spot of flying - more so when it's not in Economy!

azza40

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:53 pm

Quoting ClassicLover (Reply 2):
Was there dried blood on the seats or something?

how ya guess??? well, you were near, my dad was the one who flew on them and said they looked like it had never being cleaned!! he also said it smelled of sick!

i personally would be scared (made my mind up now) of any african airline (inc virgin nigeria) except south african  Wink bad maintenece!!

Aaron  fluffy 

Brendan03

Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:10 pm

I guess I'm not really scared of flying any airline... I don't really get the chance to fly any airline outside of australia - I refuse to fly JetStar (JQ) but It's not an issue of fear... I've flown Garuda Indonesia a few times and always enjoyed the experience, I've even flown Air Paradise International twice (AD) which went under a few months back now and even that was a pleasant experience

I guess I'm just in that state of mind of "It won't happen to me"
Coolier than thou.

ozvirginuk

Sat Mar 25, 2006 9:06 pm

Quoting Azza40 (Reply 3):
i personally would be scared (made my mind up now) of any african airline (inc virgin nigeria)

Why include VK ??? They use ex VS aircraft on Long-Haul Routes (also mainatined by VS) and they have some new A320 on Intra-Africa routes. Also use alot of British Crew, so not sure of your reasoning....

I personally would avoid MU after some horror stories about their general lack of attention to everything from safety to food preparation.

Also, a friend of mine who is cabin crew fro VS flew RG from LHR-GIG and they didn't even do a safety demo.... that is scary. Count me out.....

Oz

Brendan03

Sat Mar 25, 2006 9:24 pm

If I remember correctly (Don't hold me to this) They played a safety video and none of the crew stood up and did the safety instructions or pointed to the exits... My memory is scratchy though
Coolier than thou.

ClassicLover

Sat Mar 25, 2006 9:38 pm

i personally would be scared (made my mind up now) of any african airline (inc virgin nigeria) except south african bad maintenece!!

I think you're generalising again... Ethiopian has one of the best safety records in Africa. Hell, they have 787s on order, so I'd hardly say all African airlines have bad maintenance.
I do quite enjoy a spot of flying - more so when it's not in Economy!

Brendan03

RE: What Airlines Are You Scred Of Flying With?

Sat Mar 25, 2006 9:52 pm

Trent! *fondles*

Ethiopian is one of the better african airlines

The only airline(s) I'd be really worried about flying would be the old soviet airlines, Like the ones based out of Kyrgistan (sp?) - Although the chances of me flying such an airline are extreamly slim (to none)
Coolier than thou.

Vasu

RE: What Airlines Are You Scared Of Flying With?

Sun Mar 26, 2006 6:57 pm

Quoting Ozvirginuk (Reply 5):
I personally would avoid MU after some horror stories about their general lack of attention to everything from safety to food preparation.

What are these?

Not sure if it was this airline, but I did once hear a story about an overbooked Chinese flight... apparently they sat some passengers on plastic deckchairs in the aisle!

azza40

Sun Mar 26, 2006 6:58 pm

Quoting ClassicLover (Reply 7):
I think you're generalising again... Ethiopian has one of the best safety records in Africa

sorry, i forgot about ethipoian, i would probably fly on them...

Why include VK ???

just my own opinion, if people disagree with me then ok, but i am just stating what i think

AAron  fluffy 

cedars747

Mon Mar 27, 2006 2:40 am

RG from LHR-GIG and they didn't even do a safety demo.... that is scary. Count me out.....

Ce n'est pas possible....i flew many times RG and they have on screen safety demo in several languages
Greetings from RIO
Alex!!!  wave 
Tengo una pasion por la aviacion !لدي شغف للطيران !I have a passion for aviation !Jeg har en lidenskap for luftfart!j'ai

SA7700

Mon Mar 27, 2006 3:24 am

You wouldn't catch me dead on a UM plane!  cry 

Rgds

SA7700
When you are doing stuff that nobody has done before, there is no manual – Kevin McCloud (Grand Designs)

FlyKev
Crew

Mon Mar 27, 2006 6:23 am

The white zone is for immediate loading and unloading of passengers only

babybus

Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:32 am

At the moment I'd say JAL merely because I read a thread here that they don't have enough money to do proper maintenance.

I wouldn't like to sit on a plane over Siberia and think "I hope they had the money to maintain this one".  worried 

Also, anything from Africa, except SA and ET are on my list.
and with that..cabin crew, seats for landing please.

lordanmol

Tue Mar 28, 2006 2:05 am

Any african airline, apart from the world class ones such as SA and possibly aerofloat

Regards
Hmmmmm....

azza40

Tue Mar 28, 2006 5:20 am

Quoting Lordanmol (Reply 15):
aerofloat

aeroflot you mean  Wink although i like the sound of ... "the Aerofloat!!"

Aaron  Smile

LipeGIG

Tue Mar 28, 2006 10:41 am

Quoting Cedars747 (Reply 11):
Ce n'est pas possible....i flew many times RG and they have on screen safety demo in several languages
Greetings from RIO

Agree with you.

But i'm afraid with BRA!

Wish you a nice stay in Rio !

Felipe
New York + Rio de Janeiro = One of the best combinations !

BCAL

Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:12 pm

Any airline from Africa (except SAA), South America, former member states of the Soviet Union, China, Korea, and Greek or Turkish charter airlines.

Closer to home, I am scared of flying with VS. The cabin crew's blatant disregard for safety issues (they tried to make fun at the safety briefings) and unprofessional standards, makes me very worried about putting my safety in their hands.
MOL on SRB's latest attack at BA: "It's like a little Chihuahua barking at a dying Labrador. Nobody cares."

MrCraigDav

Tue Mar 28, 2006 11:17 pm

Hmmm - I have flown RG domestically a few times and is the only airline I have been on where the safety briefing started being shown as the aircraft was climbing. Only mentioned it because someone else has a similar experience. At least it was actually shown, I suppose.

Also I was once flying America West from SFO to LAS and the 737 (I think) on landing had some sort of mechanism where casing of the engine flipped up on landing, presumably to act as some sort of flap or braking system to help the plane slow down. Of course, this has not put me off the airline at all, but it scared the s*** out of me and I have often wondered what the hell it was! Sorry to go off point.

Brendan03

Tue Mar 28, 2006 11:24 pm

Quoting MrCraigDav (Reply 19):
Also I was once flying America West from SFO to LAS and the 737 (I think) on landing had some sort of mechanism where casing of the engine flipped up on landing, presumably to act as some sort of flap or braking system to help the plane slow down

That sounds like the reverse thrusters on the A320... I can't remember which engine does this on the A320, but the Rolls Royce Trent 700 on the A330 and the CFM Engines on the A340-200/300 does this as well, It's nothing unusual... Ofcourse It looks very strange, It's just acts as spoilers catching the air which passes around the engine

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Miguel Nobrega - Madeira Spotters
View Large View Medium

Photo © Hongyin Huo

[Edited 2006-03-28 15:30:55]
Coolier than thou.

macc

Tue Mar 28, 2006 11:35 pm

I was flying with a lot of airlines and planes with a highly doubtful reputation. like Merpati take off with only one engine running...

However, it was always nice and an experience doing flights like these. It would be a difference though if you would have to travel on a regular basis on such airlines. But for now and then the risk is well worth the action  Smile
I exchanged political frustration with sexual boredom. better spoil a girl than the world

MrCraigDav

Tue Mar 28, 2006 11:36 pm

Thanks for that explanation. It must have been an A320. Very strange contraption. I was in my late teens and travelling alone at the time and the plane was almost deserted for some reason, apart from some very overly-made up FAs. It was very strange to see. Never seen it in Europe? Thanks again.

qxq400

Thu Mar 30, 2006 5:13 am

Any WN flight. There blatant disregard for basic safety rules scares me to death. (Remember MDW crash around Xmas?) I will not even non-rev on them or allow any of my family on them. I am scared to death they are going to have a major crash with loss of life. I wish they would slow down and use some common safety practices that have been proven over time.
Welcome baby Madison Renee

PanAm747

Thu Mar 30, 2006 6:05 am

Trans America Airlines.

Their 707's sound like propeller planes.

Last flight I was on, half the passengers and ALL the flight crew had the fish and got violently ill!! Flight attendants ended up dragging them through the cabin to the back...of course, we were all distracted when flying over the Grand Canyon.

At least until the lead flight attendant innocently asked, "by the way, is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?"

That was one heck of a landing, too!! One flight attendant kept telling us to "Have a nice day!! Thank you for flying Trans America!!" as we evacuated down the emergency chutes.

By the way, I STILL have a headache from the damn guitar whacked against my head.

rotfl 
Pan Am:The World's Most Experienced Airline - P(oor) S(ailor's) A(irline): San Diego's Hometown Airline-Catch Our Smile!

kiwiandrew

Thu Mar 30, 2006 6:16 am

Quoting Macc (Reply 21):
I was flying with a lot of airlines and planes with a highly doubtful reputation. like Merpati take off with only one engine running...

I always remember a friend of mine in the industry who would sing to himself "It's Merpati and I'll die if I want to " to the tune of "it's my party and I'll cry if I want to " ( bring back memories ??... you have to be really old to remember that song ) everytime he saw a Merpati plane .... a couple of years ago I was staying at a cheap hotel near KUL airport , the Merpati crew were staying at the same hotel ... and while we were waiting for our shuttles I found myself humming it too ...

Quoting Qxq400 (Reply 23):
Any WN flight. There blatant disregard for basic safety rules scares me to death. (Remember MDW crash around Xmas?)

are you serious ?... an airline with several hundred a/c that has had one single crash causing a single fatality on the ground and none on the a/c - that seems to stack up pretty well against a lot of other airlines ... who are you comparing them to ?

[Edited 2006-03-29 22:17:07]

SDLSimme

Thu Mar 30, 2006 5:26 pm

Quoting PanAm747 (Reply 24):
Trans America Airlines.

Their 707's sound like propeller planes.

Last flight I was on, half the passengers and ALL the flight crew had the fish and got violently ill!! Flight attendants ended up dragging them through the cabin to the back...of course, we were all distracted when flying over the Grand Canyon.

At least until the lead flight attendant innocently asked, "by the way, is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?"

That was one heck of a landing, too!! One flight attendant kept telling us to "Have a nice day!! Thank you for flying Trans America!!" as we evacuated down the emergency chutes.

By the way, I STILL have a headache from the damn guitar whacked against my head.

Hahaha!
I flew to the moon with a similar company once.
2 of the cockpit crew got sucked out into outer space, and the captain got killed by a gas attack in the cockpit. We ended up a "tad" off-course, and some dude was carrying a bomb, but the worst part was that they were out of coffee!!!  Sad
A319-A321, A332-A333, RJ85, B733-B738, B743-B744, B752, B762-B764, B772-B773, CRJ200-CRJ700, Dash 8 Q300-Q400, ERJ 145,

sk601

Thu Mar 30, 2006 5:30 pm

Quoting BCAL (Reply 18):
Any airline from Africa

Although I have never been in Africa or have flown an African carrier, I think it's too bad that almost everything from Africa is considered bad, unreliabale or unsafe. KQ has very modern B777 planes, ET has the B767 (I don't consider them as being old/unsafe) and AT and MS fly with a decent number of modern aircraft as well.

Timology

Thu Mar 30, 2006 10:43 pm

Quoting Brendan03 (Reply 8):
The only airline(s) I'd be really worried about flying would be the old soviet airlines, Like the ones based out of Kyrgistan (sp?) - Although the chances of me flying such an airline are extreamly slim (to none)

couldn't agree more on this, same chance with any African Airline
"Arm in arm we are the harmless sociopaths"

msllsmith

Thu Mar 30, 2006 11:10 pm

Any WN flight. There blatant disregard for basic safety rules scares me to death. (Remember MDW crash around Xmas?) I will not even non-rev on them or allow any of my family on them. I am scared to death they are going to have a major crash with loss of life. I wish they would slow down and use some common safety practices that have been proven over time.

Quoting Kiwiandrew (Reply 25):
are you serious ?... an airline with several hundred a/c that has had one single crash causing a single fatality on the ground and none on the a/c - that seems to stack up pretty well against a lot of other airlines ... who are you comparing them to ?

I have to agree with Qxq400 on this one. Although I've flown for years on WN I've had serious reservations about the cabin crew training (pregnant woman in exit row and TOO much hilarity during safety breifing [some hijinks I think work well to get the passangers attention, however.....] and big hair etc....[how would they get that hair into a PBE???]) and I have a gut feeling they push their operations to the limit as is seen in the unwise decision to land at Midway a few months ago during really bad wx. Which turned out very badly. Unfortunately, I think they are an accident waiting to happen....

Kiwiandrew, have you flown on them recently?
There's nothing more beautiful than flying into the dawn.

Boeing Nut

Thu Mar 30, 2006 11:41 pm

Trans States out of STL. I have seen to much and heard to much about thier maintenance. I'll go Greyhound instead thank you very much.

Quoting PanAm747 (Reply 24):

Good one!
I'm not a real aeronautical engineer, I just play one on Airliners.net.

kiwiandrew

Thu Mar 30, 2006 11:56 pm

Quoting Msllsmith (Reply 29):
Kiwiandrew, have you flown on them recently?

no , I freely admit that I haven't ....it's just that statistically they seem a lot better than most carriers in terms of accidents/fatalities ( and , yes , I know that statistics can 'prove' just about anything ) and up until now I had never heard anything against them in terms of safety

JetBlueAUS

Mon Apr 03, 2006 4:18 am

Well, any third world airline, or African airline.
Not all of us can be heroes, some of us can only stand on the sidewalk and clap as they go by.

azza40

Mon Apr 03, 2006 4:49 am

Quoting SDLSimme (Reply 26):
I flew to the moon with a similar company once.
2 of the cockpit crew got sucked out into outer space, and the captain got killed by a gas attack in the cockpit. We ended up a "tad" off-course, and some dude was carrying a bomb, but the worst part was that they were out of coffee!!!

are you being serious???  Wow! tell me more if it is true!

Aaron  sly 

Asturias

Wed Apr 05, 2006 7:08 am

Thinking about it there aren't many airlines I'd be scared of flying with. Let's just say I'm apprehensive when flying with Air Atlanta  Wink

cheers

Asturias
Tonight we fly

Sabena332

Wed Apr 05, 2006 7:30 am

anyway, which airlines are you SCARED of flying with?

Lufthansa.

Patrick
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

BCAL

Wed Apr 05, 2006 5:07 pm

Quoting Sabena332 (Reply 35):
Lufthansa

Care to share your knowledge with us?
MOL on SRB's latest attack at BA: "It's like a little Chihuahua barking at a dying Labrador. Nobody cares."

airxliban

Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:44 pm

Of the major airlines in this world, I would not fly on:

KE
CI
Any mainland Chinese airline except for CZ (unless there was no other option and I had to get where I was going)
OZ
Air Deccan

I would not necessarily be afraid of flying on SQ or EK, but would be slightly concerned about their CRM programmes. I would still fly on either one of them however.

how ya guess??? well, you were near, my dad was the one who flew on them and said they looked like it had never being cleaned!! he also said it smelled of sick!

I flew on an AA F100 in March 2003 (3 years ago) and thought that they were perfectly fine on the inside. I also enjoyed the smooth, stable climb-out.

Any WN flight. There blatant disregard for basic safety rules scares me to death

What are you talking about?
PARIS, FRANCE...THE BEIRUT OF EUROPE.

azza40

Thu Apr 06, 2006 2:48 am

Quoting Sabena332 (Reply 35):
Lufthansa

dont blame ya!!  Wink

Aaron  sly 

TR763

Thu Apr 06, 2006 3:02 am

Quoting BCAL (Reply 18):
Any airline from Africa (except SAA), South America

I don't know why are you scared of flying S. American airlines. Ok, opinion is opinion and I respect yours, but I believe that we have some great airlines here such as JJ, LA, AR and AV.

Smaller ones too like GOL, a very awarded Low-Cost airline.

Rgs!
TR763
Picture by Justin Cederholm at MCO.

LH455

Thu Apr 06, 2006 4:55 am

I'd avoid BG. They have a nasty reputation on Skytrax surveys and others have said the lavs are never serviced and that the cabin crew tend to be cruel to children. Sounds horrible -- maybe someone here has flown with them and can counter this?

[Edited 2006-04-05 21:56:07]

[Edited 2006-04-05 21:56:29]

IFEMaster

Thu Apr 06, 2006 6:07 am

Anything flown by Korean Air.

And, despite it's excellent safety record, I don't much like the Saab 340. It doesn't 'feel' safe to me.
Delivering Anecdotes of Dubious Relevance Since 1978

dc863

Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:29 am

Well there not around anymore but the Italian carrier Itavia. I flew them once in 1979.

azza40

Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:42 pm

Quoting Asturias (Reply 34):
Let's just say I'm apprehensive when flying with Air Atlanta

i flew them once in 1996 on one of their tristars, and because of that, i really want to start an anti-atlanta website, describing my experience, and why nobody should ever fly with them. please a.netters, dont fly air atlanta.

Aaron  sly 

atrude777

Fri Apr 07, 2006 2:59 am

Riiight, lets not fly the airline who is one of the WORLDS safest Airline and 8th largest in the world if I remember right. Lets not fly WN because in ONE YEAR of flying they went off the runway and sadly killed a 6 yr old boy. In that same year...AA had 6 MD80's go off the runway. Would you rather fly SWA for going off the runway in one year or AA for going off 6 times?, lets not forget the LIT accident where the pilot blatanlty at fault simply because he wanted to get home soon, and killed 12 passengers on board, ALSO AA. Yep WN is dangerous......

Quoting Msllsmith (Reply 29):
and I have a gut feeling they push their operations to the limit as is seen in the unwise decision to land at Midway a few months ago during really bad wx. Which turned out very badly. Unfortunately, I think they are an accident waiting to happen....

They are ebing watched by the FAA if WN breaks ONE rule of safety FAA will report it and fine SWA. They have yet to be reported. Remember UAL using Duct Tape?

Alex

[Edited 2006-04-06 20:29:12]
Good things come to those who wait, better things come to those who go AFTER it!

texan

Fri Apr 07, 2006 5:17 am

At this point in the conversation, I would like to quote my favorite author, Hunter S. Thompson (also known as Dr. Gonzo):

Quote:
There is something in the corporate manner of United Airlines that reminds me of the California Highway Patrol, the exaggerated politeness of people who would be a hell of a lot happier if all their customers were in jail - and especially YOU, sir.

Flying United, to me, is like crossing the Andes in a prison bus. There is no question in my mind that somebody like Pat Nixon personally approves every United stewardess. Nowhere in the Western world is there anything to equal the collection of self-righteous shrews who staff the "friendly skies of United." I do everything possible to avoid that airline, often at considerable cost and personal inonvenience.

While I have never had a great flight on United, there is no airline in the United States or Canada that I would not fly, if the price was right.

Texan
"I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library."

baguy

Sat Apr 22, 2006 2:00 am

Bulgaria Air (formely Balkan)

Although this dosen't stop me from flying with them I have had a few bad expeiriences with Delta....

1.Once a door fell off the aircraft (I'm glad that didn't happen in the air....  tombstone  )
2.We had to stop on a Manchester - Atlanta flight 2 times.
3.One of the cabin crew swore, and i quote 'Welcome to Manchester-Oh s***'

BAguy

Goldenshield

Sat Apr 22, 2006 3:24 am

Quoting MrCraigDav (Reply 19):
Also I was once flying America West from SFO to LAS and the 737 (I think) on landing had some sort of mechanism where casing of the engine flipped up on landing, presumably to act as some sort of flap or braking system to help the plane slow down.

Did it look similar to this?

View Large View Medium

Photo © Eric Coeckelberghs

If so, then it was a 737-200. America West had quite a few of them in the late '80's and only a handful of A320's. Also, the engines that America West's A320's have use cascades where the rear of the nacelle slides back.
Two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun.

azza40

Sat Apr 22, 2006 6:39 am

Quoting Baguy (Reply 46):
1.Once a door fell off the aircraft (I'm glad that didn't happen in the air.... )
2.We had to stop on a Manchester - Atlanta flight 2 times.
3.One of the cabin crew swore, and i quote 'Welcome to Manchester-Oh s***'

what a really nice set of flights you had there...

Aaron  sly 

carmenlu15

Sat Apr 22, 2006 7:44 am

Quoting BCAL (Reply 18):
South America

And just why would you be scared of flying the likes of LA, JJ, AV, AR, TA, CM... ? Just curious.
Don't expect to see me around that much (if at all) -- the contact link should still work, though.